Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Jeez. Gut shot by a 50. What could they have done for him even under good conditions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Jeez. Gut shot by a 50. What could they have done for him even under good conditions?

Go through his pockets and look for spare change?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I learned a long time ago take any reports like with a grain of salt. Also, humans are supremely fragile and uncannily resilient. Not saying he would have made it, but stranger things have happened, and maybe I'm a dumb grunt, but you have a job to do- and none of that includes murder. You kill who forces your hand; you save who needs to be saved, and drat your soul if you confuse the two.

Maybe I'm just old and tired .

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Suntan Boy posted:

Military ERs are always a special flavor of batshit, in a medical field rife with WTF stories.

My patient one night was brought in from the field by their medic, complaining of abdominal pain for 2 days, and unable to poo poo for 3. He looked ok, other than clearly being profoundly uncomfortable. The medic had tried a short regimen of stool softeners, to no avail, and their aid station had given him a bottle of magnesium citrate to chug, which just made it hurt more. Even when he was alone in the room with one of the staff, dude didn't let on that he knew exactly what the problem was, and it wasn't the steady diet of MREs and dehydration.

"Belly hurts, can't poo poo" isn't particularly unusual for Joe, but it does warrant an x-ray as a matter of course. Woke up the tech, who wheeled the patient off to do their thing. After they came back, the tech pulls us off to the side.

"He's got a dildo or something stuck up there, but it's weird; I can't see any batteries or plastic. Here, take a look."

Gathered around the computer, we start trying to figure out the object jammed in this man's rectum. Completely opaque, so probably metal or ceramic... north end has a blunt taper... measures about 40mm by 45mm...

"Oh gently caress," one of my newbie medics breathed. "That's a 203 round."

"Oh gently caress," the rest of the army folks in the room agreed. "It's a launched grenade," I explained to to nonplussed doctor. After a moment's consideration, "Oh gently caress."

To his credit, the doctor did not stride back into that patient's room like his rear end in a top hat had just tried to vacuum up a chair cushion. He did scoot out of there with a quickness once he'd confirmed what it was, and that there was no way he'd be able to get it out right there. A flurry of phone calls followed: the doctor with the surgeon, the charge nurse with several levels of department and hospital leadership, and myself with EOD. Every conversation went pretty much the same: sleepy disbelief, laughter, "oh poo poo, I/we'll be right there". Fortunately, he was the only patient in the entire building, so evacuating everyone amounted to half a dozen disgruntled staff in the parking lot in the middle of the night.

After some uneventful waiting, the EOD and surgical teams arrived, wheeled dude to the operating room, and got to work. It was reportedly asses-to-elbows with both groups in there at the same time, but they got the round out mostly without incident. "Mostly", because dude's bowels had been corked for 3 days, and all those MREs suddenly had an exit route; the immediate aftermath was best described as "chocolate mousse fired from a blunderbuss". The round was whisked away by the EOD crew, and dude was quietly disappeared after a brief stint in the recovery ward. No idea what happened to either one of them, sadly.

NTC was a weird place.

A grenade?

Woah. Hardcore.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Blow posted:

A grenade?

Woah. Hardcore.

At first I thought you were just trying to be snide and cunty, but I had to remind myself that this is the internet and maybe you were actually serious.

Then I took two seconds to check your rap sheet and nope, I was right, you're just a whiny little bitch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Chopstick brought the osha thread crew to the thread. :lol:

hope you guys enjoy the dumb poo poo in here

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

bulletsponge13 posted:

Or smoke round. We had a yellow smoke expended round from an ND in our CP.

This reminds me of when I went to a weekend-long cadets-like thing in grade 11. Actually it turned out to be like three days of basic training, and was pretty educational (if for no other reason than to illustrate why I should never join the military.)

One of the officers there told a story about smoke grenades. Now white phosphorus is banned for use as an incendiary weapon under the Convention on Conventional Weapons. It is, however, not banned for use as a smoke screen. So, many militaries (including the South African military) continue to use it, but packaged as things like "white smoke grenades", with a wink and a nudge about how you are definitely not supposed to use them on enemy forces.

But hand-held smoke grenades are something you use for signalling, like indicating your own position for friendly helicopters and such. While most smoke grenades can get hot, they don't generally spray out fragments of a substance that burns on contact with oxygen and can burn through to the bone. The officer telling the story made it clear that in their division, they did not, under any circumstances, use white smoke grenades, and strongly hinted that at some point in the past, some dumb grunt had thrown one on the ground next to himself to try to mark his position.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
"Wanna know how I got these scars?"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

"Wanna know how I got these scars?"

"You did something stupid and entirely avoidable?" :colbert:

"Yeah." :smith:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My dad has a story about moving a load of WP in a UH1 in Vietnam and it getting hit by fire.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I went to a boarding school in Nepal when I was younger and there used to be this older gentleman who used to just be in the main office all the time (he was some sort of investor or landowner involved with the school). By gentleman I mean wearing a hunting jacket, country gentleman's hat, with two pure bred hunting dogs. Always proper and spoke English with a British accent. He was a Rana which is the uppercaste of nepal and had been a highranking member of the Nepali royal army and had spent time in the UK at Sandhurst etc. He was also missing one arm all the way to his elbow.

I ended up somehow being tasked with taking care of his dogs and some of his office work as part of my chores. I once asked him how he lost his arm and he told me in a very serious manner that it was due to his military career (his office had a bunch of plaques from UN missions and Nepali army stuff). Later I met his granddaughter in the US and she told me he lost his arm fishing/poaching with explosives he stole from the military while stationed in a nature reserve overseeing the troops guarding the place from poachers.

Tldr: kill all nobles

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

ughhhh posted:

I went to a boarding school in Nepal when I was younger and there used to be this older gentleman who used to just be in the main office all the time (he was some sort of investor or landowner involved with the school). By gentleman I mean wearing a hunting jacket, country gentleman's hat, with two pure bred hunting dogs. Always proper and spoke English with a British accent. He was a Rana which is the uppercaste of nepal and had been a highranking member of the Nepali royal army and had spent time in the UK at Sandhurst etc. He was also missing one arm all the way to his elbow.

I ended up somehow being tasked with taking care of his dogs and some of his office work as part of my chores. I once asked him how he lost his arm and he told me in a very serious manner that it was due to his military career (his office had a bunch of plaques from UN missions and Nepali army stuff). Later I met his granddaughter in the US and she told me he lost his arm fishing/poaching with explosives he stole from the military while stationed in a nature reserve overseeing the troops guarding the place from poachers.

Tldr: kill all nobles

That's a cool story, but I need more about this boarding school in Nepal bit.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"You did something stupid and entirely avoidable?" :colbert:

"Yeah." :smith:

Toughen up buttercup!

*Knees turn to dust*

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/sovietvisuals/status/1338811290551156741?s=20

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

From the stories in this and previous threads, I think you could just reuse the same poster.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

https://y.yarn.co/75638608-3915-4a63-9a89-e0e9f1094606.mp4

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

lightpole posted:

My dad has a story about moving a load of WP in a UH1 in Vietnam and it getting hit by fire.

we were soldiers actually has a good representation of how to treat someone who gets hit by wp

you dig it out of their skin with a loving knife because it will not stop burning.

i was always exceptionally careful with wp and illum rounds because of that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MA-Horus posted:

we were soldiers actually has a good representation of how to treat someone who gets hit by wp

you dig it out of their skin with a loving knife because it will not stop burning.

i was always exceptionally careful with wp and illum rounds because of that.

You also have to dig it out because it will *poison* you.

WP is evil poo poo.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I learned WP treatment when I was 10 from MASH.

Later, I read accounts of what it actually does- including two moron PVTs in VN who would put on gunner gloves, and throw a smoke grenade back and forth while waiting for helos.

The guy who made the error in grenade ID was shot in the head (iirc) to stop his suffering.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
It might have been at night and it was in the bay, not on a sling, so they rapidly turned into the sun.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Just wait till it shmelts through the bottom of the helicopter. Or is that where they keep the fuel?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Booger Presley posted:

I got shipped off to two different military schools in the U.S and I already know boarding school in Nepal stories are going to be better than mine except maybe for the Korean arsonists and the mad crapper.

Should we start a separate thread? Getting sent to military school is p loving dumb tbh but it kept me the gently caress out of the real military so I think that's a W yeah?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My Mom told me that if I acted up in school, she'd send me to military school.

I started acting like a total rear end in a top hat.

Turns out, we are too poor for military school, and my Mom vastly under estimated how much I wanted away.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Booger Presley posted:

It's like hogwarts and basic without any of the magic but all of the violence, abuse and stupidity. Add to that being in a remote part of the country away from the cities filled with kids of important people during a maoist insurgency. Several members of the administration got kidnapped and ransomed, one parent was ambushed and killed on the way back to kathmandu, and our school compound was surrounded by torch and rifle wielding villagers as part of a labor dispute twice.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

ughhhh posted:

It's like hogwarts and basic without any of the magic but all of the violence, abuse and stupidity. Add to that being in a remote part of the country away from the cities filled with kids of important people during a maoist insurgency. Several members of the administration got kidnapped and ransomed, one parent was ambushed and killed on the way back to kathmandu, and our school compound was surrounded by torch and rifle wielding villagers as part of a labor dispute twice.

Wow I went to a ChalleNGe program on JBER and all we got was the Alaska drug taskforce headquartered on our area, occasionally seeing drug bust rolling out with 40 vehicles at a time. Thankful for military boarding school (and my vet turned hippie uncle) teaching me how poo poo the military is.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

bulletsponge13 posted:

Turns out, we are too poor for military school, and my Mom vastly under estimated how much I wanted away.

Opposite problem, I rolled the dice and it turns out a narcissist single parent will totally ship you off if they can go the extra mile and manage it. One of the problems of being raised a spoiled east coast brat is that you don't know you are a spoiled east coast brat.

There was that one time a kid's parents lied to him and told him he was going to Disney World and they just dropped him off in the middle of nowhere bumpass VA and as soon as he stepped out of the benz he realized what was happening and bolted. An adult faculty member (former marine) yelled without thinking "After that man!" and 15 or so cadets tore rear end after him because we were all strung like piano wire in that place. Thankfully he caught up to them right as they caught up with the new guy bc they were clearly about to dog pile this poor kid. Everybody in the same clothes and haircut does weird poo poo to ppl.

But that's no kidnapping or Maoist revolution

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

Just wait till it shmelts through the bottom of the helicopter. Or is that where they keep the fuel?

The fuel is right behind the passenger/cargo cabin. Still going to go very poorly.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This reminds me of when I went to a weekend-long cadets-like thing in grade 11. Actually it turned out to be like three days of basic training, and was pretty educational (if for no other reason than to illustrate why I should never join the military.)

One of the officers there told a story about smoke grenades. Now white phosphorus is banned for use as an incendiary weapon under the Convention on Conventional Weapons. It is, however, not banned for use as a smoke screen. So, many militaries (including the South African military) continue to use it, but packaged as things like "white smoke grenades", with a wink and a nudge about how you are definitely not supposed to use them on enemy forces.

But hand-held smoke grenades are something you use for signalling, like indicating your own position for friendly helicopters and such. While most smoke grenades can get hot, they don't generally spray out fragments of a substance that burns on contact with oxygen and can burn through to the bone. The officer telling the story made it clear that in their division, they did not, under any circumstances, use white smoke grenades, and strongly hinted that at some point in the past, some dumb grunt had thrown one on the ground next to himself to try to mark his position.

there is no wink wink nudge nudge with wp because it isn't banned.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, it's not banned.
It is frowned upon to use it as a weapon against targets, and I'm sure a bunch of people agreed not to use it, but none of that matters to anyone of consequence in the international community.

And the US is immune from ICC anyway, so gently caress it. Willy Pete Preschools from the Sky, and flash your junk on the windscreen.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bulletsponge13 posted:

I did the same thing in 9th grade and again my freshman year of college.

I mean I actually wanted to and then went to military school, couldn't afford it, and had to get a job in high school to "pay it back".

Then joined a cadet program because I probably have a spectrum disorder

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the main thing is that HE is just more effective at actually killing people.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Not sure this one made the thread yet.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Is that her shoe?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CainFortea posted:

Is that her shoe?

Yup. I also love the dude's heads on head move. It's a universal human message of "oh gently caress."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PookBear posted:

there is no wink wink nudge nudge with wp because it isn't banned.

“Gotta aim the fiddy cal at their belt buckle.”

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yup. I also love the dude's heads on head move. It's a universal human message of "oh gently caress."

2 universal signs across all humans:
Hands on hips: “...well gently caress.”
Hands on head (aka “the surrender cobra”): “OH gently caress”

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

I learned WP treatment when I was 10 from MASH.

Later, I read accounts of what it actually does- including two moron PVTs in VN who would put on gunner gloves, and throw a smoke grenade back and forth while waiting for helos.

The guy who made the error in grenade ID was shot in the head (iirc) to stop his suffering.

Just after the Falklands war ended some volunteer Argentinian PoWs were clearing one of their ammo dumps and one somehow triggered a whole bunch of WP. He was shot as a mercy killing due to the scale of the fire around him.

The soldier who did was meant to have got a thankyou from the Argentinians. This was one of many stories being passed around the British Army shortly after the Falklands.

Another lesson taken to heart was theres nothing better for clearing trenches than WP.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Platystemon posted:

“Gotta aim the fiddy cal at their belt buckle.”

Thanks now my right eye is twitching and itchy again.

I have spent a lot of time trying to work against the unending game of telephone that gets people bad info. I hate the pervasiveness of that one in particular.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
I remember reading a story a while back of someone walking on a French beach, picking up a pretty white rock and putting it in their pocket. Turned out to be a bit of WP that ignited when it dried out, dunno the end condition of that poor soul. Couldn't find the article when I looked for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

DaNerd posted:

I remember reading a story a while back of someone walking on a French beach, picking up a pretty white rock and putting it in their pocket. Turned out to be a bit of WP that ignited when it dried out, dunno the end condition of that poor soul. Couldn't find the article when I looked for it.

That happens in the Baltics occasionally with people confusing bits of either WP or sulfur mustard, can't remember, for amber.