Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Coasterphreak posted:

It's putting ICP in charge of the magnets.

Well, I have a new favorite analogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm sure this isn't going to go over well, but I don't even think Pete is gay. I think absolutely every single thing about him is fake for an expected reaction and effect on his goals. I think that dude is just straight sociopathic, and not a single thing about him is real.

There is something about the vibe, or his eyes, or something that trips a flare in deep in my primate brain. Like Trump was a buffoon; this dude has by all accounts built his entire life towards a goal of as much power as he can get.

In my life it seems that those who wanted/sought/needed power or control were the absolute last people who should be given the position. Anyone who doesn't look at those sort of positions with fear or respect, who doesn't understand that it should be a burden, should never be given a position of authority higher that Shift Lead Fry Cook.

Then again, am an old Grunt who got retired at E4. What the gently caress do I know.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm sure this isn't going to go over well, but I don't even think Pete is gay.

That would be an extremely long con if so.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Eh, just because he's a sociopathic rat doesn't mean he isn't into dudes.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm sure this isn't going to go over well, but I don't even think Pete is gay. I think absolutely every single thing about him is fake for an expected reaction and effect on his goals. I think that dude is just straight sociopathic, and not a single thing about him is real.

There is something about the vibe, or his eyes, or something that trips a flare in deep in my primate brain. Like Trump was a buffoon; this dude has by all accounts built his entire life towards a goal of as much power as he can get.

In my life it seems that those who wanted/sought/needed power or control were the absolute last people who should be given the position. Anyone who doesn't look at those sort of positions with fear or respect, who doesn't understand that it should be a burden, should never be given a position of authority higher that Shift Lead Fry Cook.

Then again, am an old Grunt who got retired at E4. What the gently caress do I know.

I think you are being a little too cynical and might want to work to dial it back. Pete definitely works to his self interest but my impression is that he has morals and is intelligent, a far cry from Trump. I also don't think he's after power for powers sake or to grift, probably something like fame or his own sense of self importance at worst. He's far from a progressive savant but I'll take milquetoast after the past 4 years.

Edit: Its 2020, if you haven't had a little dick at this point it just means you haven't come out of the closet yet. Theres no real difference between a gay or straight person.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

bulletsponge13 posted:

Jesus, dude.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't think he fakes being gay. I think he uses it for attention sometimes, like any time an article or piece was done about him being a gay navy officer lite. But that's politics, and voting for a non-sociopath just means the next nut elected will be worse than the previous sociopath. See: Carter.

Carter being the sanity between Ford and Reagan.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bulletsponge13 posted:

Mayor Pete is apparently the new Sec of Transportation.

As of i needed another reason to hate this incoming admin.

He’s going to turn off all the traffic lights to demonstrate we don’t need them to guide us.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kazinsal posted:

Now I'm imagining Pete as Agent Smecker from Boondock Saints. Only without Dafoe's gravitas.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Being gay does not preclude being a lovely sociopath.

Log Cabin Republicans are a thing after all.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Being gay does not preclude being a lovely sociopath.

Log Cabin Republicans are a thing after all.

Or literal vampire Peter Thiel.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

bulletsponge13 posted:

Agreed, except i think he's actually gay

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pete Buttigieg isn’t above creating a fake persona for political gain.

It‘s just that “be gay” isn’t a shortcut to political office in America in 2015.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I don't think he fakes being gay. I think he uses it for attention sometimes, like any time an article or piece was done about him being a gay navy officer lite. But that's politics, and voting for a non-sociopath just means the next nut elected will be worse than the previous sociopath. See: Carter.

Carter being the sanity between Ford and Reagan.

How did Ford lack sanity? Not one of the greats but wouldn’t call him a lunatic.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
More that Ford took over for Nixon, then peanut farmer wanders on the scene and was torpedoed by Reagan. Ford doesn't really deserve to be called a sociopath, but he definitely pardoned one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pardoning Nixon is one of the most damaging acts of any president since Buchanan.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Pardoning Nixon definitely cost Ford a return trip.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I don't think he values other human beings as a general rule. It's less about being gay, and more about him calculating what persona and image gains him the most.

It's not a 2020 thing. It's that everything about him screams out to me that he is a tin pot wannabe just as much as Trump, but actually capable of not stepping on his own dick.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Isn't Mayo Pete married and all? Thought I remembered think pieces about having a First Husband.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm sure this isn't going to go over well

lemme stop you right there.

being a lovely person has nothing to do with who you like to gently caress. you need to sever that line of thought from the rest of your impression of him. and people in general.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I think I poorly phrased it, and knew it would be difficult to phrase, but I'm not sure where you misunderstood.
I don't care who you gently caress. No where did I equate gay with anything. I don't think he has any sexual preference. I honestly believe that every aspect of that dude is cultivated towards his goal. That's the impression I get from him. Like it or don't.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

the implication in your statement is that his stated sexual preference is a choice, and not something innate to his person. people disbelieving someone's stated sexual preference has a very fraught history and continues to impact communities today -- a big example being conversion therapy programs. nothing good comes out of that thought process. it just reinforces bad stereotypes.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I don't even believe Mayor Pete exists!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I think he may be a jar of mayonnaise, not sure what brand though.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

orange juche posted:

I think he may be a jar of mayonnaise, not sure what brand though.

great value

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If Pete was calculating to that extent it would have been easier to be a Republican

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

great value

:barf:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

facialimpediment posted:

CURSE THIS drat MONKEY'S PAW

https://twitter.com/tylerpager/status/1338974481080086530?s=19

(she was fine as governor, but she's a politician damnit)

Edit: a politician with ties to the auto industry when Biden wants to go very, very green/electric! Makes more sense that way. https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/15/biden-to-tap-former-michigan-gov-granholm-to-lead-energy-department-445782

This feels like the spoils system all over again. Cabinet picks based on how loyal or likeable they are to Biden and/or the party. I was afraid of this, but I had high hopes of Biden's picks having a....civil service-minded bent to them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

giggity

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

90s Solo Cup posted:

This feels like the spoils system all over again. Cabinet picks based on how loyal or likeable they are to Biden and/or the party. I was afraid of this, but I had high hopes of Biden's picks having a....civil service-minded bent to them.

That's how it's always been.

To tie back to the Carter mentions, in hindsight one of his biggest missteps was filling most of the key inner circle White House positions with folks he brought along from his days a Georgia Governor, none of whom had any experience with how to work with Congress to accomplish policy goals. The friction between the Democratic Congress and the 'Georgia Mafia' ended up costing Carter a lot of his early legislative agenda and is probably one of the big reasons he ended up being a one-termer.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

We really should rename the Department of Energy to the Department of Thermonuclear Weaponry so people stop getting confused about what it actually does.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Soylent Pudding posted:

We really should rename the Department of Energy to the Department of Thermonuclear Weaponry so people stop getting confused about what it actually does.

I have long held that the Department of Defense should be restored to the Department of War.

The left would appreciate it because it’s honest. The right would appreciate it because they think that war is badass.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

Same with the department of Defense.

Not being ironic either.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

90s Solo Cup posted:

There's absolutely a lot of "hey, this job needs a person and this person needs a job" kind of thing, but I'm still keeping an open mind about all of it. In Donnieworld, the cabinet secretaries seem to micromanage and top-down dictate the dumb bullshit to the smart people. I don't think that's going to be a huge problem with Biden's picks, as these people likely know what they don't know and will instead empower the smart people to act and let the picks do the PR.

An unknown factor is how completely wrecked each of these agencies is. Put an egghead, expert-in-field type in charge of the wreckage of one of these agencies and it seems unlikely to go well. At least the politicians with former government experience know what a functional government process is *supposed* to look like before Donnie's people filled the room with poo poo.

Also, trust is underrated too. Donnie's people spun their wheels a lot when they would spend weeks/months on a thing only for Donnie to randomly reverse it because of something on his teevee.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Soylent Pudding posted:

It used to be the nuclear regulatory commission.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I have an extremely hard time believing Mayor Pete would fake being gay in order to get elected to office in the same state that elected Governor Mike Pence

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stultus Maximus posted:

NRC still exists and overseas the civilian nuclear industry.

The Atomic Energy Commission was split into NRC and Energy Research and Development Administration. ERDA got the national labs and military issues.

Three years later, ERDA merged with the Federal Energy Administration, itself created in 1974, to form the DoE we know today.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 16, 2020

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Stultus Maximus posted:

It used to be the Federal Power Commission too. It's not only nuke poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I like Jen O'Malley Dillon.

https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1339211729394409477?s=19

And looks like we're getting some money, but cut down.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1339200703429021708?s=19