Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Tom Tucker posted:

Got it. I got some tech from a dimensional portal that gives me null beams (+400% vs shields) I may layer some of these in to strip shields faster, or maybe just some more kinetic weaponry.

yeah those are like, one of the few exceptions. Put a null beam on, rest lasers, should probably work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tom Tucker posted:

I guess autocomplete isn't great.

Golly Gee Gosh!

But yes seriously, this is why AI fleets always underperform per fleet point, they have such a random mix of trash. Disruptors are an all-or-nothing strat; if you can never see a armour+shield point, they're super effective, but the second any of your dps sees their defenses things are being wasteful. There's basically zero reason (other than roleplaying or disruptors) to not stick with the 50/50 mix of 'normal' guns, especially as their main sequence opens up into L and X specialty weapons. This is vs the normal AI empires, specialized fleets work well vs known static opponents such as FEs or Crisis stuff.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Autocomplete is terrible. Every weapon has some kind of malus. As a rule of thumb you can do a mix of energy/kinetic and be okay.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah, I edge to slightly more lasers than guns, and it works fine but just balance is the key. The L versions are great if you can get them, same with autocannons for kinetic smalls. Also strike craft. I love my angry bees.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tom Tucker posted:

OK it looks like my whole fleet is outfitted with lasers and neutron missiles along with disruptors. As far as I can tell Neutron missiles and lasers do less damage to shields and disruptors go right through them... so this means half my weapons are doing less damage to shields while the other half is skipping them right to hull. This seems super inefficient - should I diversify the armaments and get more strike craft and shield-depleting weaponry?

I guess autocomplete isn't great.
There's basically three options:
1) A mix of cannon weapons (high damage vs shields, low vs armour)* and energy weapons (high damage vs armour, low vs shields). So the kinetics chew through the shields and then the energy weapons chew through the hull.
2) Nothing but hull and shield penetrating weapons. So Disruptors and a few other things that unlock much later.
3) 1 or 2, but with missiles and swarm craft thrown in as well.

e: As said null beam weapons can do this, didn't mention them because they're RNG dependent

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 10, 2020

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Do we know when they intend to patch in the whole pop rebalance & planet micro? In the next DLC/patch I guess? Has Paradox indicated when that may happen?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I've been going hard on Disruptors lately, it's pretty fun. Especially with the silly strikecraft mod that gives you strikecraft based on weapon tech you've researched, thus disruptor strikecraft.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Running into some real performance issues past 2400. Same thing happens on large Civ VI maps with all the processing but I'm on a small galaxy and the game had run like clockwork until now. Are there steps on performance I can take or is my system just in need of an upgrade?

Running with an Intel i5-6600, 8 GB of RAM (move to 16?), 1 TB Samsung SSD, and a Radeon RX 570

edit: two of my federation friends who I've been close with all game had robot uprisings, and my cybernetically ascended species were immediately thrown into war with them. I was hoping I would be able to negotiate a peace and such, and I almost felt like kicking my buddies out of the federation, but it turns out both new empires with puritanical dicks so I just said screw it. Next time if this happens I may just try to side with the robots.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Re: early fleets with corvettes, I tend to do a 1:1:2 ratio of kinetic/laser/missile corvettes since the missile corvettes are slightly cheaper and the AI rarely puts enough point defense on their ships to counter it. Looking at the battle stats, my missiles are pretty much always 100% efficient from start to finish. The kinetic and laser ships are there to get through the shield and, more importantly, the armor, to make the missiles more efficient :v:.

Even with the NSC2 mod (New Ship Components... 2) installed I still tend to skip everything between corvettes and Battleships. Once I get Battleships I tend to do at least one fleet of roughly 1:3 ratio (maybe) battleships & destroyers. Battleships for long-range, picket-defense destroyers to be a screen for the battleships (they seem to do a great job of just dying in place of the battleships).

If I'm feeling spicy or want to roleplay a bit more I'll dive into other ship types, but I still have enormous success with corvette swarms, which is admittedly silly and boring, but I enjoy it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Black Pants posted:

I've been going hard on Disruptors lately, it's pretty fun. Especially with the silly strikecraft mod that gives you strikecraft based on weapon tech you've researched, thus disruptor strikecraft.

They're funny, but I tested a couple different fleet combinations against random AI fleets, and all-Disruptor did not fare well.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

They're funny, but I tested a couple different fleet combinations against random AI fleets, and all-Disruptor did not fare well.

Hull is like ~50%+ the total HP of most things.

Disruptors don't do enough damage to be viable vs. things like launchers that ignore shields but do like 3x the damage except against like corvette fleets.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PittTheElder posted:

Disruptors-proper, the S/M slot thingies, have ok-ish dps. The trouble with them is getting them to tech parity vs the energy/kinetics you already have, so they're behind the curve while merely being 'ok'. The L slots come from cloud lightning, which is great if you get it early but actually objectively poor compared to the other L slots you get later. The 'disruptor-strat' comes into its own once you get X slot Arc Emitters, which totally outperform other X slot weapons to such a degree that it's worth retrofitting into it, and them being an odd offshoot tech isn't an issue that late in the game.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Captain Beans posted:

Do we know when they intend to patch in the whole pop rebalance & planet micro? In the next DLC/patch I guess? Has Paradox indicated when that may happen?

Seems like it'll be with the next DLC, which is probably Q1 2021? I wouldn't be surprised to see it in February once they're back from their holiday break.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Seconding the :10bux: argument. I'd be playing right now if even more exciting DLC wasn't due soon-ish.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shumagorath posted:

Seconding the :10bux: argument. I'd be playing right now if even more exciting DLC wasn't due soon-ish.

The 3 stages Stellaris is ever in:

-Latest DLC just came out, its buggy as hell and the big patch broke a bunch of poo poo. Some of the new DLC features aren't well integrated but hopefully future updates fix it. I want to play it now but it kind of too broken and none of the mods have updated, hopefully over the next month it there will be some bugfix patches.

-The current update and mods have been more or less patched and updated, the game is still deeply flawed but kinda fun to play and the next DLC hasn't been announced yet.

-Next DLC/Patch has been announced and there's been some dev diaries. Wow, sounds like the next patch is going to finally fix a lot of what's wrong with the game which makes it hard to enjoy in its current state knowing what's coming.

So often that middle phase is only like a week.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
They know their customer base.

See also the second line of this Wikipedia article.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I am new at this game and also very stupid, so help me out here

1.) I have been playing a generally diplomatic game, and formed a federation that now has 4 members, and the current leader of the federation decided to declare war on the Complete Idiot Dick aliens whom everyone in the galaxy hates. fine they deserve it

2.) I share a chokepoint border with the dick aliens, so I took a couple of their systems, and used Claims to, I dunno, attempt to claim them, but it's entirely unclear to me how this works. I appeared to be getting these systems' resources even before I spent influence on claiming them, which is nice, but can't build anything there, which is confusing; do the borders only change once the war is declared over?

3.) my federation should win this war incredibly easily but my allies keep flinging small fleets against huge fleets and dying constantly so our attrition stat is steadily rising, even though we should easily crush these dorks. Can I do anything to prevent this? my taking their unmanned systems has zero effect on the attrition numbers, which is stupid, so I guess I need to actively defeat actual fleets of ships to do anything to the number? I like this game a lot, I genuinely do, but the mechanics are getting really confusing, because I feel like I'm doing everything right and yet my war numbers against this isolationist douchebag nation we outnumber 3 to 1 keep getting worse because of poo poo the allied AI is doing

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Your claims won't take until the war ends. You can ignore war exhaustion, all it does after filling up is force a stalemate after 2 years. Once you fully occupy that enemy empire (including invading their worlds) they should surrender when they see that all is lost.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Has anyone got an updated list of essential vs. pointless DLC? I see there's a bunch of new stuff out and while it all sounds fun, i'm on a budget and need to narrow it down a little.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Snowman_McK posted:

Has anyone got an updated list of essential vs. pointless DLC? I see there's a bunch of new stuff out and while it all sounds fun, i'm on a budget and need to narrow it down a little.

OP's front page really needs an update.

These are just my own opinion:

S Tier:
Utopia DLC - The only one I think is an absolute must-have. Adds in megastructures, habitats, new ascension perks, and a huge amount of government and species options. Also introduces Hive Minds and Gestalt Consciousness ethics if you want to play Zerg. Also adds civics that provide a Total War war goal option, allowing you to bypass the casus belli and claims mechanics (Total War options are not in the base game.)

A Tier:
Apocalypse DLC - Gives some late game options and even bigger ships. There is also a planet-destroying death star that will also cause you to go into Total War without requiring a civic. Additionaly, there's the Khan mid-game crisis that is pretty interesting but the rest of the pirates are a bit of a meh.
Ancient Relics - More story stuff and things to do in the game. Finishing archaeology digs on some of these relics will give you powerful empire-wide artifacts.
Leviathans DLC - These add more story events and gigantic space creatures that you can interact with in a small variety of ways.
Distant Stars DLC - I was hedging on whether or not this is an A or B Tier item. If you're primarily playing singleplayer, then it is definitely Tier A as it not only adds more random events and story elements, but it also includes the L-Gate cluster which can open up a lot of options to you late-game against the A.I. and end-game crisis'.

B Tier:
Megacorps DLC - Adds megacorporations, criminals and cults as empire governments, as well as the ability to convert planets into Ecumenopolis (a city that covers the entire planet, like hive worlds from warhammer 40k). For the latter, there are a couple non-DLC precursor race events that can give you a chance at an ecumenopolis to develop if you want to play around with them a bit. It's more of a lateral improvement than a step forward.
Synthetic Dawn DLC - Adds playable machine empires in the game, as well as A.I. events. This also introduces Gestalt Consciousness ethics, like Utopia. This DLC also adds a Total War option. If you want to play Skynet or the Borg, this is a must-have.

C Tier:
Federations DLC - Improves diplomacy (slightly), adds different origin starts for your species, and adds federations to the game. The galactic council is a nice addition but I believe it was also added to the base-game for free, as well as some of the less flashy origin starts. The base game also comes with one type of federation if you are on the fence about if you would like them in the game or not. The poor quantity of stuff included in the DLC doesn't really justify the retail value price. In addition, most of the good stuff was patched into the base game, so I don't see this as a game-changer too much except for maybe the new origin starts. The biggest ship available in this DLC, The Juggernaut, can be constructed but I only built it once and was pretty disappointed with its overall performance and function so I never built it again.
Necroids/Lithoids DLC - New races that have some unique options at their disposal. They are O.K. and I'd only get them if you want more species variety.

D Tier:
Humanoids DLC - Adds elves, dwarves and orcs to the game. No unique features.
Plantoid DLC - Adds plant races to the game. No unique features.
Galaxy version upgrade - Adds a spider race to the game.

edit: Thanks to Serephina for clarifying a few things.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 13, 2020

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was going to say all the DLC is what ever, just buy what interests you. But that's a very good tier list and description.

Also, I have northern flickers and anna's hummingbirds in my yard every day. Good birds but I think the flickers are more interesting to watch.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Entorwellian posted:

OP's front page really needs an update.

These are just my own opinion:

-Observation posts are in the base game, as are ascension perks. Utopia adds a few more of the latter, however. Utopia also adds hive minds, which don't have to deal with pop micro.
-Apoc's greatest contribution is Total War empires. Collossi and other crap are irrelevant if not for that.

Note that Total War and Hive mind's lack of pop micro is are removals of features, which improves the game. This might say a lot.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Serephina posted:

-Apoc's greatest contribution is Total War empires. Collossi and other crap are irrelevant if not for that.

Ah. I didn't know that they weren't included in the base game. I only knew of the Colossus forcing a total war policy if you wanted to build one.

edit: discovered that synthetic dawn, utopia and apocalypse each contribute a Total War option. I'll update my previous post

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 13, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
edit: I am completely wrong, my apologies. I have no idea where I got that idea, as I was buying DLCs one-at-a-time until I got the features I wanted.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 13, 2020

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

I believe you, but I searched the wiki top and down for information on it and I couldn't find any information that limited the Total War choice to the Apocalypse DLC, besides the colossus. If you can find anything posted on it I'll re-edit my post again.

No worries. Thanks for the clarification, regardless.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 13, 2020

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Baronjutter posted:

I was going to say all the DLC is what ever, just buy what interests you. But that's a very good tier list and description.

Also, I have northern flickers and anna's hummingbirds in my yard every day. Good birds but I think the flickers are more interesting to watch.

I used to volunteer at a wildlife rehab and I still chuckle whenever I think about northern flickers because they were such pains in the rear end to work with. Skittish, fussy, and prone to jabbing at my hand if they didn't like the food I was offering them. But they were still kind of cute.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Jabarto posted:

I used to volunteer at a wildlife rehab and I still chuckle whenever I think about northern flickers because they were such pains in the rear end to work with. Skittish, fussy, and prone to jabbing at my hand if they didn't like the food I was offering them. But they were still kind of cute.

Anna's Hummingbirds aren't any better. Each time I go to change the nectar feeder, they come out and dart aggressively at my head for touching their food supply. Their looks are deceiving.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Just got into my first war and I thought I was prepared at the border but immediately they had fleets deep in my space.

Wiki’d it’s and apparently there are jump drives which I’m guessing is what happened? Or do wars randomly begin with a fleet in your space sometimes?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Endless Trash posted:

Just got into my first war and I thought I was prepared at the border but immediately they had fleets deep in my space.

Wiki’d it’s and apparently there are jump drives which I’m guessing is what happened? Or do wars randomly begin with a fleet in your space sometimes?

Jump drives are very late game and almost never used by the AI. More likely are wormholes, or a mundane explanation you've missed. Got any screenshots?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Jump drives are very late game and almost never used by the AI. More likely are wormholes, or a mundane explanation you've missed. Got any screenshots?

I’m on ps4 so no, there is a system two jumps over that has a wormhole to their space though. Is the AI smart enough to put fleets in place before declaring war? That’s my only guess as to how they were suddenly behind my lines, I must’ve ignored the fleet when it was a yellow indicator.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I got wormholed by the great khan from the opposite side of the galaxy and it confused the poo poo out of me because I hadn’t thought about the worm hole into my federation buddy’s space in a century which, in hindsight, was a bit of a strategic blunder.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Question from the middle of a game where I am heavily over admin cap..

I know it is possible to not select traditions once i have enough unity.. and pick them only when my admin cap is better.

Does this also work for technologies? Can I not select a research and pick it only later.. or will some research be wasted?

Edit: nevermind, doesn't look like it works.. too bad

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 14, 2020

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

SirTagz posted:

I know it is possible to not select traditions once i have enough unity.. and pick them only when my admin cap is better.

Does this also work for technologies? Can I not select a research and pick it only later.. or will some research be wasted?

? It does work. The "wasted" research gets stockpiled and added to your monthly research until it runs out again. You can even finish research in the middle of the month, so if if you can stomach the micro it's optimal to never have a bureaucrat building enabled when at the end of the month. Especially nice for machine empires since they get bigger penalties and more admin cap per pop, so you need less clicks. Too much of a pain in the late game to bother with, but early on it's pretty trivial to do.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Tom Tucker posted:

I got wormholed by the great khan from the opposite side of the galaxy and it confused the poo poo out of me because I hadn’t thought about the worm hole into my federation buddy’s space in a century which, in hindsight, was a bit of a strategic blunder.

All borders should be defended. You never know when your federation buddy will have a rebel state break off or a machine uprising.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Shumagorath posted:

All borders should be defended. You never know when your federation buddy will have a rebel state break off or a machine uprising.

Yup! Learned this very much the hard way...

Game slowing to a crawl post 2425... anything I can turn off to optimize it?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

Yup! Learned this very much the hard way...

Game slowing to a crawl post 2425... anything I can turn off to optimize it?

nuke some planets

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Literally start genociding pops, or start a new game.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
So are Brain Slugs a hard no now? The pop growth malus seemed acceptable but having the slug phobia on several planets for eternity is really making it hard to see the upside. Is this due to the xenophobe trait and/or is there a way to minimize it?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So, uh, my pops aren't growing.

I started a new game with the only mod being tiny outliner and Glavius, and now my pops are at 245/100 and 162/100 for humans and robits respectively. Did Glavius break this, am I running afoul of some weird patch, or is this a legit bug?

edit: bug is absent without Glavius active. Lesson learnt.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SirTagz posted:

It kinda does. Whenever you get dumps of tech it gets banked. If you have tech in your bank it gets added to your research per month on a one to one basis until you run out (e.g. if you have 20 per month research and a slush fund of 100 you'll research at 40 a month for 5 months). If you're not researching anything then your unused research also gets banked. So if you're about to bring a bunch of admin cap online you can cancel your research, accumulate tech in your account, then when the admin cap goes up start researching the cheaper techs at double time using your banked research.