Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kim Justice posted:

King James is a bloody Stuart king, stop getting Albion wrong.

In all seriousness, yeah. The annoying thing when Shakey's taught in schools that often a lot of context gets removed and he's just presented as THIS GREAT MAN WHO CREATED OUR LANGUAGE THAT YOU MUST RESPECT and so forth when he was but the most popular playwright of his day, and it's far more interesting to view him from that angle. No wonder so many kids despise him. Not that Shakey isn't good, I love a lot of it. But he doesn't need the pedestal.

I presume a lot of Shakey is still taught in the schools. The government doesn't like kids learning about authors and books that aren't British.

This is why I will forever appreciate that my English teacher, when it came time to teach us Shakespeare, didn't really focus on the importance of the stuff he did but engaged with my whole class on how hilarious it was which actually worked because it got a lot of students who didn't normally give a poo poo to read romeo and juliet and talk about how dumb every character is for just killing one another and themselves. Which was a lot more active than the usual discussions where most of the class sat half asleep not talking at all because they couldn't find any way to engage with something like Crime and Punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really thats the issue of most books/plays that are taught in school, you aren't allowed to find any humor or humanity in it, its just The Important Work. theres no real attempt to teach that it was made by a person with their own interests and first got popular because people genuinely found it relatable or interesting, its treated like moses came down from the mountain with it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There is also the issue that at least in what American education I've directly taken part in school is way less about actually analyzing the work, and a lot more about decoding how your teacher thinks about the book and then writing to that. It's possible that I just got a lot of lovely teachers by chance, but it seems like those sort of "write what I already think or be deducted points" types are more common than not. At least figuring that out around the middle of sophomore year made the rest of high school and college way easier.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Oh man I remember this trash fire. Completely unsurprising it turned out a scam.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Endorph posted:

really thats the issue of most books/plays that are taught in school, you aren't allowed to find any humor or humanity in it, its just The Important Work. theres no real attempt to teach that it was made by a person with their own interests and first got popular because people genuinely found it relatable or interesting, its treated like moses came down from the mountain with it.

Big Joel's video on PragerU and Shakespeare is a good deconstruction of this, and I see it a lot. People are taught that certain works are "great", but not why they are great, so you wind up with a kind of cargo cult literary analysis of the educated but dim witted insisting that children read a laundry list for the sole reason that they were told it's great.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I think I would have enjoyed studying SE Hinton's The Outsiders in high school if I'd known the author was obsessed with Supernatural and wrote fanfic for it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

achillesforever6 posted:

Feels like Disney got really involved in production; much like how they get involved in the Kingdom Hearts Series with their :psyduck: mandates

Looking at KH3, Avengers, and Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite, you can just feel the involvement of Disney/Marvel just oozing off of them.

Meanwhile, Ultimate Alliance 3 and Spider-Man/Miles Morales somehow dodged them and are pretty drat good games. Is it because they were console exclusives, and Disney didn't care as much?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Terrible Opinions posted:

There is also the issue that at least in what American education I've directly taken part in school is way less about actually analyzing the work, and a lot more about decoding how your teacher thinks about the book and then writing to that. It's possible that I just got a lot of lovely teachers by chance, but it seems like those sort of "write what I already think or be deducted points" types are more common than not. At least figuring that out around the middle of sophomore year made the rest of high school and college way easier.

My experience was maybe 10-20% that at most (it was always the most tedious, pop psy dream dictionary level poo poo :nallears:) but the other 80% was endless open-ended questions asking me to interpret something when I had never actually been taught how to do that. :v: Being on the spectrum probably didn't help in that regard either....

Still, the real scourge in my English classes was always the inexplicable need to spice things up with loving arts and crafts. Never enjoyed a single one of those projects.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Journaling? gently caress journaling. :argh:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

My experience was maybe 10-20% that at most (it was always the most tedious, pop psy dream dictionary level poo poo :nallears:)
Thou shalt be deducted points for each piece of your discussion of Catch 22 that does not explicitly mention Vietnam. Also this analysis must be solely from an American perspective.

John Murdoch posted:

but the other 80% was endless open-ended questions asking me to interpret something when I had never actually been taught how to do that. :v: Being on the spectrum probably didn't help in that regard either....

Still, the real scourge in my English classes was always the inexplicable need to spice things up with loving arts and crafts. Never enjoyed a single one of those projects.
Well you see they wanted to be a grade school teacher but somehow career took them to teaching high school.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Shinji2015 posted:

Looking at KH3, Avengers, and Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite, you can just feel the involvement of Disney/Marvel just oozing off of them.

Meanwhile, Ultimate Alliance 3 and Spider-Man/Miles Morales somehow dodged them and are pretty drat good games. Is it because they were console exclusives, and Disney didn't care as much?

My pet theory, on spiderman at least, is that it's the one property that Disney might realize it just doesn't understand. Which is why we get Spiderverses, because they just don't get spiderman and so when someone's like "So we have this idea for a spiderman movie where a bunch of spidermans, even the spiderhams, come together to fight a badguy and it stars the kid most people don't really know and it's going to look totally awesome" they just blankly give it a budget and hope it does marvel spiderman money and not amazing spiderman money.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Spider-Man is also Sony’s IP golden goose. They will let Disney play with him every once and a while, but they will never let them forget who owns him. Like with that IP rights spat last year over Spider-Man that nearly cost Tom Holland his job and derailed Spider-Man Three because Sony and/or Disney wanted more money.

PS4 Spider-Man/Miles Morales being good while the Avengers game turned out to be garbage was purely down to Sony keeping their golden IP as close to in house as they could with Insomniac, while Disney farmed out Avengers to basically the lowest bidding contractor. Insomniac then went and made a video game, while Crystal Dynamics/SquareEnix made a really well disguised slot machine.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Look at Captain America with his ill-fitting football helmet or Kamala Khan who is every bit a 38-year-old teenager and remember:

Deus Ex died for this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, american schooling is garbage at teaching how to approach something and read it on its own terms, or how to interpret art. on the trivial side of things its why americans are so obsessed with things like the 'canon timeline' and 'watch orders' even when its clear the actual material doesn't really care about a coherent timeline, and on the more serious side of things its why you get a bunch of people who view movies about toxic behaviors being bad as like, aspirational fantasies. fight club, wolf of wall street, etc.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

One might say that these are customs more honoured in the breach than the observance.

:smug:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

yeah, american schooling is garbage at teaching how to approach something and read it on its own terms, or how to interpret art. on the trivial side of things its why americans are so obsessed with things like the 'canon timeline' and 'watch orders' even when its clear the actual material doesn't really care about a coherent timeline, and on the more serious side of things its why you get a bunch of people who view movies about toxic behaviors being bad as like, aspirational fantasies. fight club, wolf of wall street, etc.

I'd also argue that its also why some people see media's portrayal of a bad thing as glamorizing it, regardless of context/intention/execution. See the whole bruhaha about GTA back in the day or whenever a touchy subject gets brought up.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The American Education system is about finding ways to turn you into wanting be a STEMbot and making humanity classes these "boring" classes I feel is almost intentional. Also the Koch Brothers offer to give grants to schools on the basis that they make Anthem a mandatory read in their curriculum.

Like I feel you just can't grade English classes as objectively as they are.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
American schooling isn't bad at teaching critical analysis, it doesn't prioritize it at all on a wider scale. That's something subjective and impossible to reduce down to multiple choice answers for the SAT or ACT tests. You'll get some teachers who still fight and work around those restraints, but most don't apply it consistently or at all because that's the path of least resistance. In most cases, a teacher will talk about one popular interpretation of a book, but it often comes across as the "official" interpretation with no alternative meanings. Time and testing restrictions don't allow for the kind of depth of range of discussions you can have over the same book in, say, a college course.

achillesforever6 posted:

The American Education system is about finding ways to turn you into wanting be a STEMbot and making humanity classes these "boring" classes I feel is almost intentional. Also the Koch Brothers offer to give grants to schools on the basis that they make Anthem a mandatory read in their curriculum.

Like I feel you just can't grade English classes as objectively as they are.

It's maybe a bit intentional that math and sciences are prioritized because they look good on national and international statistics, but yes they are also much easier to test for and compare to other nations over English language, literature, and history classes are.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
shakespeare i think is a bit obtuse to teach to anyone just by reading it. it's meant to be performed and when it's taught only by reading or writing about it it's missing an enormous chunk of the theater experience. the context the actor is bringing to the audience to help them make sense of the words being spoken is vital! its key!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

sometimes i think about how if i watched ways of seeing before art classes i might have taken an entirely different path in life. granted i can learn and practice art now but nowhere near as well as i would have been able to back then, adult time under capitalism is so severely constrained

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'm incredibly happy I ended up getting an education focused on something practical instead of humanities/art, despite my love for creative arts and philosophy. It led to me getting a steady job and enough money/time to indulge in those subjects with less risk of not getting food on the table or getting homeless or having debt that I can't pay off.

But I'm also European, which means I'm covered by enough systems that would have taken the edge of those worries anyway.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the current stte of the american populace is a extremely potent example of a country devoid of critical thinking skills or the ability to break down text and analyze it because instead they were hyper focused on being taught things a little piece of equipment everyone carries in their pocket can do. a little tragic.

e: i wasnt very adept at math growing up, but i could do it with some difficulty. many teachers told me "you have to learn this, you cant go around as an adult carrying around a calculator" and historically, very few people have ranked wronger than that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

fun hater posted:

shakespeare i think is a bit obtuse to teach to anyone just by reading it. it's meant to be performed and when it's taught only by reading or writing about it it's missing an enormous chunk of the theater experience. the context the actor is bringing to the audience to help them make sense of the words being spoken is vital! its key!

So what you're saying is the play's the thing?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The only things that were vitally important I ever learned in school were typing and a single home-econ class in middle school that taught every single home money thing that people complain about school not teaching taxes, interest rates, mortgages, etc. Everything else even when it was appreciated and good would have benefited from not being in the setting of an American school or worse still university. American college is a machine designed to give you depression.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

America is a machine designed to give you depression. The harms that school inflicts only feel different because school is the one institution we encounter that is ostensibly meant to help us.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I felt there was a noticeable and dramatic worsening when I was in state college compared to every other educational institution. Though that was likely only due to living in the dorms/university apartments. So there was no escape. As opposed to everywhere else where I could at least go home.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Hooooly poo poo it took this long for me to realize why Contra had that name.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 16, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chris Davis on Cyberpunk 2076:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bexA1Oolp0k

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kim Justice posted:

King James is a bloody Stuart king, stop getting Albion wrong.

In all seriousness, yeah. The annoying thing when Shakey's taught in schools that often a lot of context gets removed and he's just presented as THIS GREAT MAN WHO CREATED OUR LANGUAGE THAT YOU MUST RESPECT and so forth when he was but the most popular playwright of his day, and it's far more interesting to view him from that angle. No wonder so many kids despise him. Not that Shakey isn't good, I love a lot of it. But he doesn't need the pedestal.

I presume a lot of Shakey is still taught in the schools. The government doesn't like kids learning about authors and books that aren't British.

this. shakespeare is cool and fun but if your just taught in some super harold bloom dry manner and its not taught in audio than it doesnt work. you need to see it in motion because its alot easier to understand than. you need to understand background of plays and etc. https://www.youtube.com/c/OverlySarcasticProductionsChannel these folks do a great job with it.

he has some good points. i do think alot more can be fixed than he thinks can be but thats just me.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Teachers should probably be treated better than absolute garbage, if American education is gonna be worthwhile. Substitute teaching for a few months was enough to let me know that it's way, way, way too hard of a job for me.

I initially went to college for creative writing, before I changed my major, and I gotta say that with the exception of 1 history class, all the classes felt poorly taught, like a huge waste of time, and filled with people who were only there because they needed specific class requirements. It honestly killed any and all interest I had in creative writing.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 16, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess I'm lucky I got good creating writing classes. We needed portfolio submissions to be considered for the classes so there were 18 people max and the feedback from the prof and the other classmates was great. It does seem like a crapshoot for how well courses are run.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kyle Kallgren's SHakespeare videos are also pretty drat good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

jesus that rieley sounds like a real sack of poo poo with a ton of issues, and i am shocked people didnt catch on earlier with how they answered questions. what a loving shithead. now wonder tumblr ended up being such a toxic place where it turns into weird poo poo of people melting down and trying to label themselves or poo poo on others for other labels. its really sad.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 16, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
tumblr was really not that toxic compared to twitter. It was mostly stupid teens with somewhat good intentions and scammers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

tumblr was really not that toxic compared to twitter. It was mostly stupid teens with somewhat good intentions and scammers.

yeah twitter is way worse. i just feel bad for people who got tricked by this rear end in a top hat. shitheads hiding behind progressive politics and using as weird bully pulpit to work out their own issues on other folks and minorities is loving gross and depressing.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 16, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The only things that were vitally important I ever learned in school were typing and a single home-econ class in middle school that taught every single home money thing that people complain about school not teaching taxes, interest rates, mortgages, etc. Everything else even when it was appreciated and good would have benefited from not being in the setting of an American school or worse still university. American college is a machine designed to give you depression.

Four year Universities are frequently terrible outside of their dedicated programs, but community colleges can be quite good. I think I learned more in two years of community college than in all of high school.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My university highly encouraged everybody to take a class Freshman year called "Money Matters" that was basically home econ: how to do taxes, how to budget, loans and interest, etc. Of course I only know like 2-3 people who actually took it besides me, but hey it was there on offer. Granted the reason it was on offer was part of a wider program where the new University president was intentionally trying to bleed art and humanities dry to shovel more money towards STEM + Business. One of my roommates enrolled there because it had one of the best animation and illustration programs in the state, but by the time we graduated it had been so thoroughly gutted the whole program was down to less than half a dozen teachers, one lab, and two loner classrooms they had to share with Engineering.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

tumblr has nothing on livejournal, a lot of the stories from there have been lost to time but dear god was it a mess

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
yeah that era was really the peak for tumblr toxicity, since they were running around scamming folk at the same time as the various superwholock cliques and people cyberbullying folk for off-model fanart. It's been consistently better since then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

egg tats posted:

yeah that era was really the peak for tumblr toxicity, since they were running around scamming folk at the same time as the various superwholock cliques and people cyberbullying folk for off-model fanart. It's been consistently better since then

i assume it has. i heard after they banned porn/etc, they actually did try to do modding and poo poo to get rid of the scary nuts/bullies. which is nice. there are some solid fun blogs there.