Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waltzing Along posted:

Japans umbrellas are pretty good quality. If you go to Japan and you want to know what to buy to bring home? Umbrellas and nail clippers.

When all this is better, and I can travel, Japan is top of the list and I’m taking an empty suitcase. I wasn’t expecting an umbrella to be on the shopping list but ok!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Fatkraken posted:

gluing one lego piece to another, or repairing broken pieces?

Glueing together thousands of pieces that make up a critical but really loving fragile part of a MOC, a MOC i will have to transport a few times a year.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

ChesterJT posted:

You hardly ever see a bike chained up either.

I always laugh when someone says that. Bikes might not often be chained up in Japan but they are usually locked. The typical bike lock over there looks a bit like an oversized brake - it fits over the back wheel and a rod goes through the wheel spokes when it's activated.

But yeah, Japan's dope. I lived there for a couple of years and hopefully I'll be able to visit within the next couple of years. Searching through the second hand shops for Lego is fun if you know where to look, and you can often find some pretty cool stuff. I once found a sealed Asimo for a few hundred yen.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Butterfly Valley posted:

This isn't meant as a slight against your gorgeous model but that bubble canopy reminded me of the car Homer Simpson made that sunk his brother's company and I thought it would be funny for you to try to reproduce that in lego form
lol same. First thing I thought of was "space Homercar."

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Ineptitude posted:

Glueing together thousands of pieces that make up a critical but really loving fragile part of a MOC, a MOC i will have to transport a few times a year.

Wow, than good look with nitro dilution. It'll work perfectly, but you will definitely have to work something out in regard to the stench, like a good mask/airbrush mask or something. That stuff can't be good for health when you inhale it for hours. But it's basically what Lego themselves use when they glue larger showpieces that need to get transported a lot.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

Great advice from everyone - thanks a bunch!

Unrelated but here's a thing I donked out over the past couple days. It started with playing with those chair pieces and realizing I could fit the attachment points for struts inside of them. Also, I haven't built space/sci fi in ten trillion years.

One word, Thundercougarfalconbird

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

tuo posted:

Wow, than good look with nitro dilution.

I doubt i can use this solution, you generally cant buy "chemicals" over the counter just like that where i live.
E.g. that stuff that you mix with water and Lego and leave them out in the sun to remove discoloring.
If it was an actual product then it would be a different matter, but a bottle of "pure chemical" that you can do DIY projects with? no go.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Ineptitude posted:

I doubt i can use this solution, you generally cant buy "chemicals" over the counter just like that where i live.
E.g. that stuff that you mix with water and Lego and leave them out in the sun to remove discoloring.
If it was an actual product then it would be a different matter, but a bottle of "pure chemical" that you can do DIY projects with? no go.
Where do you live?

I mean, I’ve bought uranium core samples that make my Geiger counter go clickey clack. And that doesn’t even top the most questionable list, as just last week I bought a Mercury filled plumb bob over the internet.

Hardware stores are generally a good place to ask about these kinds of things

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Carbohydrates posted:

Great advice from everyone - thanks a bunch!

Unrelated but here's a thing I donked out over the past couple days. It started with playing with those chair pieces and realizing I could fit the attachment points for struts inside of them. Also, I haven't built space/sci fi in ten trillion years.

This would be right at home in that Futurama episode where they meet the oxygen farmer on the moon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It looks glorious but I am super concerned about the anti-grav thruster things at the front that are angled downwards, and the spoiler at the back which would produce downforce. That thing seems built to do vertical loops and nothing else.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Hell yeah that bubble car rules

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I always laugh when someone says that. Bikes might not often be chained up in Japan but they are usually locked. The typical bike lock over there looks a bit like an oversized brake - it fits over the back wheel and a rod goes through the wheel spokes when it's activated.

Yeah sure the rings, but someone could still just pick the bike up and carry it away. Immobilized /= anchored.

Awesome

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

xzzy posted:

It looks glorious but I am super concerned about the anti-grav thruster things at the front that are angled downwards, and the spoiler at the back which would produce downforce. That thing seems built to do vertical loops and nothing else.

Visualizing this in my mind made me chuckle.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

spoiler can't produce downforce if you're in a vacuum

(don't vacuum up your lego please)

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

The Bloop posted:

Broke: Accidentally vacuuming up your legos
Woke: Building a small city and getting a canister vacuum with the see through canister and reenacting that movie Twister.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Bloop posted:

I guess we need to determine if this is a space car or a terrestrial flying car that lives in a 5th element type city. :v:

Also is the intake purely a cosmetic throwback, or do flying cars actually need to draw in cold air? Or maybe those are mr fusion units.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I really need to not let my unread count fester on this thread, but less money means less LEGO purchasing and so my desire to keep up flags.

Great builds everyone.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

xzzy posted:

I guess we need to determine if this is a space car or a terrestrial flying car that lives in a 5th element type city. :v:

Also is the intake purely a cosmetic throwback, or do flying cars actually need to draw in cold air? Or maybe those are mr fusion units.
I was imagining a hovercar situation. I was also waiting for someone to point out that its engines are clearly in the back, yet it has another engine up front, and that it appears to be a manner of combustion engine as well. And you know what? All that bodywork is steel. Yeah.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sloppy posted:

I haven't had anything displayed in a while to test, but I picked up one of these recently and it's been incredible for computers and RC cars. I'm looking forward to trying it on Lego.
So I just picked up one of these things, and holy balls is it powerful! I was not expecting that. It really needs a multi-select power switch and not just on/off.

I think my bookshelves soon won't know what hit 'em lol.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

I was imagining a hovercar situation. I was also waiting for someone to point out that its engines are clearly in the back, yet it has another engine up front, and that it appears to be a manner of combustion engine as well. And you know what? All that bodywork is steel. Yeah.

You're not gonna hear me questioning how many engines a future car needs. I mean, I built this:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

xzzy posted:

You're not gonna hear me questioning how many engines a future car needs. I mean, I built this:

Oh hey it's the truck my neighbor warms up at 3am

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

That thing seems built to do vertical loops and nothing else.

not seeing the downside

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Oh hey it's the truck my neighbor warms up at 3am

This makes your neighbor seem rad as gently caress which I think is probably the opposite of your intent

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

The trick is to make it look cool, then invent :techno: to explain the greeblies later. That's not a spoiler, it's a deionization matrix manifold.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

xzzy posted:

I'm that horn just blasting in the driver's face.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pretty sure some of you will like this:

http://www.brickfinder.net/2020/12/06/liven-wall-periodic-table-lego-colours/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is that every color LEGO offers?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Its about half, there are 145 different colors, though that is being a bit pedantic. Several colors has only a single part, and several colors are so similar they are hard to distinguish yet they have separate entries in the list.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I decided to not one-bag the Batmobile because I thought it'd make things easier and now I've had two pieces turn up in different bags (at least I hope I won't be needing them from the other bags) and now I'm again missing two more pieces. Is this normal? Two big pieces seemed to be from a "special" bag for big pieces but the other missing pieces so far are regular small bits. Actually it's three, I had one leftover from the first bag which I used up in the second bag's building.

I'm supposed to be on bag 2 but I've already torn up bags that are supposed to come later :thunk:

e: nevermind I hosed it up and did one building step twice instead of once. I'm dumb

Zwille fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 16, 2020

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRn5waE0qfk

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

They just posted a follow up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uepSeO-ovlI

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
With all the train motor/ir receiver/remote stuff listed as retiring soon, how will trains be powered moving forward? One of the technic motors that just rotates a peg linked to lego pieces that then spin the wheels, with the only control being via the Bluetooth app, or is there some standalone controller for those? I think that's how that crocodile train moves but haven't seen exactly how the mechanism works.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Zwille posted:

e: nevermind I hosed it up and did *something*. I'm dumb

I love how this is the answer to most lego building ailments 99.9% of the time

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Yes, but can lego break a heart?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Butterfly Valley posted:

I skipped the one bagging this time because I thought it’d help with „is this piece missing or am I dumb“ and the only difference is that it happens in a more rapid fire fashion. Win-win!

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

The flat view might be a bit misleading, I thought it was just a poster. Actual size, it has those single pieces attached to the poster, so to frame it you would need more of a shadowbox or something with depth. Very neat. What's the price point on 70 pieces for $40 anyway?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Can confirm as similar has happened many times over the last year.

Which is making me very concerned about being one black technic peg short on the stage of the Bugatti I just did. I can't find it in any bags I opened, couldn't find it on the floor, and I certainly can't see anywhere I accidentally used it. I have plenty of spares so it's a non issue, and I think the gearbox is functioning correctly at this point?

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

davebo posted:

With all the train motor/ir receiver/remote stuff listed as retiring soon, how will trains be powered moving forward? One of the technic motors that just rotates a peg linked to lego pieces that then spin the wheels, with the only control being via the Bluetooth app, or is there some standalone controller for those? I think that's how that crocodile train moves but haven't seen exactly how the mechanism works.

Power Functions is being retired. Powered Up is the replacement system that is currently used in Lego City Trains. They're pretty similar, but not cross compatible:
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/train-motor-88011

vs

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/lego-power-functions-train-motor-88002

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Digital War posted:

Power Functions is being retired. Powered Up is the replacement system that is currently used in Lego City Trains. They're pretty similar, but not cross compatible:

When you say not compatible, it's just the plug on the end that's different? Size wise it seems identical. I'm assuming this has a lot more applications for technic stuff that called for a change in design, because from a train perspective it seems like just a way to sell a way more expensive battery box with bluetooth? Or at least a box that's as expensive as the previous box, plus ir receiver and remote controller, but now you need to use a phone.

Edit: Oof, the user reviews for that battery box on lego.com are pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Digital War posted:

vs

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/lego-power-functions-train-motor-88002
Every single train builder in my LUG is adamantly still using PF lol. They're not really pleased with PU.