Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zoux posted:

They literally elected Romeo Roses ex gf

Holy poo poo.

Captain Monkey posted:

Please don’t call out Montrose like this??

I never quite got the complaint about large houses on tiny lots. That sounds like an ideal situation. The less yard I have to deal with, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Lawns suck

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

probably has something to do with the neighbors and how heinously ugly the houses are

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

LanceHunter posted:

I never quite got the complaint about large houses on tiny lots. That sounds like an ideal situation. The less yard I have to deal with, the better.

Well, on one hand, yes we do need more density for societal and land use purposes (while I love rowhouses, does Lewisville really need them though??). On the other, that's nowhere near the reason why developers are building denser. (That reason being eking as much blood from the stone as possible)

vvvvvv exactly

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 16, 2020

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

(while I love rowhouses, does Lewisville really need them though??)

lol at the town houses on 3040 with front doors that literally open into a taco bueno parking lot

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

zoux posted:

They literally elected Romeo Roses ex gf

lmao now there's a name I haven't seen in forever

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/chrisgayomali/status/1339242530903379974

If I may offer a note: Oh my loving god

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

My brother is a full-time wedding videographer now, and he is by far the person I'm most worried about in my family.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

hawowanlawow posted:

a cop was staking out the UNT entrance, checking for that specifically I assume

I find campus cops are sticklers for registration. I got caught near A&M.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

lol at the town houses on 3040 with front doors that literally open into a taco bueno parking lot

I must live here

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

We need less private lawn space that's just empty space and grass that nobody's allowed to step on and more public park space that everybody can use or nature preserve space.

And maybe some kind centralized city planning to actually manage things instead of submitting to infinite low-density sprawl.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

SlothfulCobra posted:

We need less private lawn space that's just empty space and grass that nobody's allowed to step on and more public park space that everybody can use or nature preserve space.

And maybe some kind centralized city planning to actually manage things instead of submitting to infinite low-density sprawl.

Austin tried really hard to do this with CodeNEXT but the NIMBYs partnered with the people who reflexively hate condos (either because they just love surface parking lots or they hate to see the existence of something that they can't afford) and killed it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
lol at Houston having any kind of coherent planning.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dameius posted:

lol at Houston having any kind of coherent planning.

requesting that image comparing 70s downtown Houston to modern Houston in which half the buildings have been torn down and replaced by empty parking lots

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

One of the more unexpected things I noticed when I visited South Korea was how many parks there were. The density is amazing, but they reserved plenty of park space for people to walk about amongst grass and trees instead of paving it all.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Captain Monkey posted:

Please don’t call out Montrose like this??

Lol at finding a house in Montrose for anything close to $300k

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

hawowanlawow posted:

requesting that image comparing 70s downtown Houston to modern Houston in which half the buildings have been torn down and replaced by empty parking lots

It's the opposite. The 70s was all parking lots a number of which have been developed.

You have to go back to pre war to find downtown Houston as not an expanse of parking lots

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm not seeing a problem here. There's a Taco Bueno being built in Baytown and I'm pumped, I haven't had a muchaco platter in years.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the 'big house on tiny lots' thing isn't necessarily bad, it's just that those big houses are still just for one loving family. the average sqft per person keeps going up. when I was in rhode island they had giant houses but were chopped up into 3-4 living spaces each

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhode Island? No.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

You know I did my heavily downsized 20-person pandemic wedding this summer and I'm very sympathetic to the crappy situation people who were already stuck in wedding contracts had. But my Day of Coordinator at the end of our day back then was like "this is the only wedding I've worked where everyone actually wore masks". I kicked out a bridesmaid a couple weeks ahead of the event because she wasn't taken COVID seriously enough. We were so stressed out and miserable and working to make sure everyone felt safe and not pressured to do anything at all. (No one had COVID, got COVID, still don't regret it...I have stable health insurance now and same-sex marriage is more at risk with ACB, so good not to delay that.)

I feel like these full-on weddings that keep happening exist in an entirely different universe than reality. I totally understand feeling sad or wanting to do something, but this is just outright pretending we're not in a pandemic and it's so dangerous and I can't understand that at all. But I also feel that way about folks going to crowded bars or crowded indoor restaurants. There really is this assumption that if the government is allowing you to do something, it must be safe. Even amongst otherwise sensible people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seems like everything is happening in two separate realities.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

An extended family member had a wedding 2 weekends ago. No masks, the whole immediate family there including multiple people over 65 years old. No masks. Groom tested positive for Covid 4 days later. I saw the pictures on FB of the wedding and hoped no one got sick, now we're just hoping grandma or great aunt didn't get it and dies. I mean the vaccine is announced, they're already living together with a kid, they couldn't wait 3 or 6 more months to get married without putting their entire immediate family at risk?

Please don't have or attend a wedding right now. It can wait. You can do the legal stuff now if you need to, but wait for the celebration until later.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1339304456882692101

I was ready to have a good laugh here as TM took an in depth look at the failings of the Texas Democratic party but this article is a brain dead take. It blames the Democratic loss on "hubris" but state Ds worked really hard, they didn't loving coast to November. It seems their biggest failure was "believing in polling". A couple of Texas Dem officials made some cocky statements and basically that's what they're blaming the poor performance on. The other reasons they merely allude to are:

quote:

Money from across the country poured in, rained down, inundated the state. Michael Bloomberg donated $2.6 million to the Democratic candidate for the Railroad Commission, a head-scratching investment. The left-wing Working Families party, which is most prominent in New York State, where it has long opposed Bloomberg, mobilized against candidates like Jeff Leach, an ex–tea party Republican in Collin County. It was a blitz, a bewildering barrage.

Are we not supposed to not want this?

quote:

When a party gets like that, it throws caution to the wind and shuns anyone who expresses even mild skepticism toward the party’s messaging or spending priorities.

In one typical statement, offered to paleoconservative Allen West after he was elected chair of the Republican Party of Texas last summer, Texas Democratic party spokesman Abhi Rahman vowed, “We will beat you, your shell of an organization, and your hate-filled rhetoric up and down the ballot in November.” (Cue the rumbling of hooves.)

Ah here it is, forcing orthodox messaging on diverse candidates...no it's because the Texas Democratic party spokesman was mean to absolute psycho war criminal and now secessionist Allen West

quote:

Were it not for that inflated sense of self-assurance, the Democrats might have had a better sense of the trouble ahead. This was the state’s first election without straight-ticket voting, but Democrats were counting on anti-Trump moderates in the suburbs to follow them all the way down the ballot. And because of the pandemic, Democratic candidates weren’t doing much door-knocking, even though it could have been done safely with masks and distancing. As such, many Texans were much likelier to have laid eyes on Republican candidates, who had shown no such reticence.

Yes it turned out that door-knocking was fine but that wasn't clear until deep into the general. Again the two realities here, Dems bet that people wouldn't be comfortable with strangers coming up to their house during a deadly pandemic, but they didn't care (if canvassing was indeed as big a factor as we think it was)

quote:

Meanwhile, though the Democrats’ war chests were sloshing with cash, not everyone saw a piece of it. That money saturated supposedly swing districts in a few parts of the state, while much of Texas, including the Rio Grande Valley, a crucial part of the Texas Democratic coalition, got little attention. Biden’s campaign, the largest statewide effort, never took the state seriously enough to invest.

Wait are Dems stupid for spending money in Texas or is Biden stupid for not spending money in Texas? This is the closest they've come to an actual point, but I'd need to see more spending numbers - and data demonstrating efficacy of that spending - before I'd believe an assertion put forth in this article.

The Texas Democratic party is indeed the bum steer of the year but it's not because they got too big fer their britches. There's a serious conversation to be had about the factionality of regional parties with competing interests, what are reliable voting blocs and what are not, how to court specific constituencies and what kind of approach works where, etc. This article is just sneering at Democrats for thinking that Texas will ever turn blue.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zoux posted:

Seems like everything is happening in two separate realities.

About half of my instagram feed feels like things are normal, I just don't understand people willfully ignoring the pandemic. One of the more egregious pictures I saw was from a friend's parent in Tyler. His mom decided to host a pajama Christmas party for all the women she knows. It was a picture of at least 30 women 50 and older taking a group shot with no masks. My friends mom never hosted theme parties like this before and her posts have basically turned into her going out of her way to do dangerous things in the pandemic. Her husband is a practicing plastic surgeon. I don't get how people have turned so stupid. They've even lost a friend to covid recently.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I think it's one of a ton of infinitely crappy dilemmas out there if you are someone who remotely cares about other people. It's not actually going to be safe to have a wedding in that fashion until probably next fall. So if you had planned a wedding for March 2020, had been planning it for at least a year, you're looking at October 2021. Two and a half years of your life waiting for a major life milestone and having to worry about it. And so is everyone else who delayed their wedding. Vendors may or may not let you reschedule - average Austin wedding is allegedly $30k (not ours). Venues often cost over $10k, photographers $2-3k, etc. And because our government and communities convinced themselves it would all be over by the summer back in the spring, some folks have had to reschedule several times. I'm sure as poo poo not throwing a bigger celebration later, and I think most couples feel the same way. It's a money sink that you can't really afford to recreate later.

No excuse for having a large indoor or crowded event (of any kind) or not wearing masks. Literally there's never an excuse to not wear masks around other people. They sell nice bridal masks now...just wear it.

Same thing with schools reopening. I saw a lot of my teacher friends and others making GBS threads on parents for wanting the schools to reopen. And plenty of those parents are jerks, but it's a crappy situation all around...most families are two-income and in general, the nuclear family structure and total reliance on mothers to balance everything was kicked into overdrive during the pandemic. A lot of parents were stuck between sending their kids to a riskier school setting and quitting a job that kept them afloat.

But there is definitely a difference between people who are trying their best to navigate bad situations and people who are not even trying to modify their behavior or take precautions. And I still don't understand the latter group.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ALso that's unsigned but I'd bet five dollars it's 100% RG Ratcliffe who wrote it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kinda wonder what the plastic surgery scene in tyler is like

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

i say swears online posted:

kinda wonder what the plastic surgery scene in tyler is like

I hear about Tyler sometimes, but what's up with Longview these days?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah i brought it up a couple weeks ago that there are maybe two million people in northeast texas but it never ever makes the news. what's the hot scoop out of paris or texarkana these days

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

skipdogg posted:

An extended family member had a wedding 2 weekends ago. No masks, the whole immediate family there including multiple people over 65 years old. No masks. Groom tested positive for Covid 4 days later. I saw the pictures on FB of the wedding and hoped no one got sick, now we're just hoping grandma or great aunt didn't get it and dies. I mean the vaccine is announced, they're already living together with a kid, they couldn't wait 3 or 6 more months to get married without putting their entire immediate family at risk?

Please don't have or attend a wedding right now. It can wait. You can do the legal stuff now if you need to, but wait for the celebration until later.

One of my best friends got married a few weeks ago. 12 people total (including the bride and groom) and only immediate family. Socially distanced and outdoors, about as responsible as could be. It sucked because we couldn't do a bachelor party, none of the friends got to show up but it was the right way to go about it. I think they're planning a larger ceremony at some point late next year or early 2022 when things are safer.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
it is two completely different realities, and the alternate one is not going to merge with ours any time soon.

an acquaintance just passed from COVID. he was white, elderly, well educated and rich; also a vocal anti-masker. got it first week of November, refused to seek any treatment because "it was just a flu." friends found him a week later unresponsive in his home, o2 in the 50s. spent three weeks in the hospital and mostly recovered, but had about a zillion strokes during his time out.

he died nearly a vegetable because he didn't want to admit he was wrong.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

These charges are bogus, unless the allegation is true, in which case I didn't say its bogus, don't hold me to that
https://twitter.com/jaspscherer/status/1339332863276118016
(But seriously, I am very curious to learn how much direction this Aguirre fellow was getting from the people cutting his checks.)

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

it is two completely different realities, and the alternate one is not going to merge with ours any time soon.

an acquaintance just passed from COVID. he was white, elderly, well educated and rich; also a vocal anti-masker. got it first week of November, refused to seek any treatment because "it was just a flu." friends found him a week later unresponsive in his home, o2 in the 50s. spent three weeks in the hospital and mostly recovered, but had about a zillion strokes during his time out.

That's really depressing. I don't even understand some of this logic dismissing the flu. It's clearly worse than the flu, but the flu also kills lots and lots of people, especially elderly folks. Hence why they push us all to get flu vaccines every year. That doesn't make COVID not a big deal - it's weird that we normalize the spread of viruses and deaths every year that are also preventable.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

That's really depressing. I don't even understand some of this logic dismissing the flu. It's clearly worse than the flu, but the flu also kills lots and lots of people, especially elderly folks. Hence why they push us all to get flu vaccines every year. That doesn't make COVID not a big deal - it's weird that we normalize the spread of viruses and deaths every year that are also preventable.

Because comprehensively dealing with viruses and reducing their spread and effectiveness would require those who amass capital to acknowledge their seriousness, instead of downplaying them as something to work through and declare you're above to impress your boss.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Probably meth.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's actually leaded gasoline

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

i say swears online posted:

it's actually leaded gasoline

Clean, American leaded gasoline

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Proud Christian Mom posted:

"I didn't die from the virus! All those drat strokes killed me!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's not the virus that kills you, it's hitting the ground