Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

thanks y'all, not a gaper just been stuck in TX for nearly 7 years

glad to know that smith's quality hasn't gone into decline

bawfuls posted:

helmets on a groomer protect you against the idiocy of others who may crash into you
thanks for keeping the faith man, great to see so many of the old regulars still around

e: god loving dammit

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

A helmet protects you from a lot of stuff that you might not even think about. Someone could drop their pole on the lift above the green run you are on and hurt you. You could fall over and hit your head on a rock that you don't see. You could experience a bad cramp or muscle failure and fall. You could even stand up too fast after getting your bindings on and pass out. Once you have a helmet that is comfortable and well adjusted I think you will get used to them really quick. I don't even notice mine. The first 3 times I went skiing I did not have a helmet and I realized really quick that that was not a safe way to participate in the sport. In the 103 times I have been skiing since I have always worn a helmet and I hardly notice it now.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Laserface posted:

as much as helmets are common place these days in resorts i still feel like Im not doing anything that really necessitates a helmet until Im in the park.

I often think about having a helmet free day but I'd miss my headphones too much.

Yeah, I have those Chips audio headphones that slip into the ear pads and even though I never ride without a helmet, there’s even less of a reason for me to ride without one now

HookShot posted:

People have literally died on green runs from falling over while not wearing a helmet but ok you do you.

This straight up could have been me back in January. Chilling in Vermont, coasting on a mellow trail. Suddenly catching an edge heel side and slamming the back of my helmet onto a sheet of ice.

I dunno what it is but my worst falls have always been when I’m going less than 10mph. Blame it on ice coast life I guess

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Ultimately, the way I see it: Break your arm, it’ll heal over time. Break your head, there’s a good chance you might not come back the same

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Still working through the thread, but is this a good place to ask first timer snowboard setup questions? I've done some rides and a lesson with rental gear and decided to dive in, but I'm not sure about my bindings\boot setup. I'm sure I sized everything right (it's dead simple since they're both the same brand), but when looking at online guides and comparing to my strapped-in boots, they look weird, like there's too much overhang.

Anyway, I have pictures, but didn't want to gum up the thread if I should be posting somewhere else or referring to a go-to board setup guide.

E: well, I'm already gumming up the thread with the post, might as well include the pictures. Anything seem off here?

marjorie fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 16, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You could even stand up too fast after getting your bindings on and pass out.

Eh? Do you wear one when tying your shoelaces too?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

as someone who woke up on the floor unsure how i got there with my only memory being that I got up to go to the fridge, it can happen.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I prefer my helmet to a hat except for literal 50F days. And even then I prefer my helmet to a hat except that I remove the ear flaps. They're just so comfy and warm :3:

marjorie posted:

Still working through the thread, but is this a good place to ask first timer snowboard setup questions? I've done some rides and a lesson with rental gear and decided to dive in, but I'm not sure about my bindings\boot setup. I'm sure I sized everything right (it's dead simple since they're both the same brand), but when looking at online guides and comparing to my strapped-in boots, they look weird, like there's too much overhang.

Anyway, I have pictures, but didn't want to gum up the thread if I should be posting somewhere else or referring to a go-to board setup guide.

Definitely ask!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

marjorie posted:

E: well, I'm already gumming up the thread with the post, might as well include the pictures. Anything seem off here?

I don't see any issues. Need to see them on the board. I am not familiar with those bindings though. How much toe ramp adjustability is there? There looks to be some adjustability forward and rear that you might need to look at. Still generally looks good I think.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Kick it up like a Rockette and tie it up!

Or....

Slip ons.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Fifty Three posted:

I would love to hear recommendations for long oval helmets. Shopping online for my Xenomorph-esque skull is awful. Anything that barely fits front-to back has a huge silhouette and lots of space on the sides. I ended up buying a Giro Combyn "Soft Shell" helmet that flexes a bit and fits better overall, but I admit it's not as much protection and I'd like to correct that.

I have a long oval head and Giro is the only snow helmet brand I've managed to find that works. Specialized is great for bikes but they don't make snow gear.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Eejit posted:

I prefer my helmet to a hat except for literal 50F days. And even then I prefer my helmet to a hat except that I remove the ear flaps. They're just so comfy and warm :3:

I'm not going to lie usually once a season or so in the spring on the last run down I'll put my helmet in the bag and just rip it with my sunglasses on letting the wind whip through my hair when it's like 20 degrees out because it's one of the most incredible feelings ever on skis, but also I do realize this is pretty dumb which is why I only do it once a year.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

marjorie posted:

What size boot do you wear? IIRC, above size 11ish it might be worthwhile to consider a "wide" or "mid-wide" board to eliminate toe drag.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

spwrozek posted:

I don't see any issues. Need to see them on the board. I am not familiar with those bindings though. How much toe ramp adjustability is there? There looks to be some adjustability forward and rear that you might need to look at. Still generally looks good I think.

Oh good, I think I just saw a bunch of guides that made it seem like there should be only a tiny bit of the boot hanging out, and it seemed like this was more on both ends. The bindings are Burton Citizens - there are definitely some adjustments that I haven't meddled with yet - my board got delayed, so I'll come back once it's here and I've mounted them.

denereal visease posted:

What size boot do you wear? IIRC, above size 11ish it might be worthwhile to consider a "wide" or "mid-wide" board to eliminate toe drag.

I'm in a women's 7 (and starting with a men's regular board) so should be no worries there. But thanks for the tip!

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
anyone use Kinco gloves? Are they comfortable in temperatures down to the ~20s?

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
One last thought on #helmetchat, I've eaten so much poo poo in icy parking lots that I basically want my helmet any time I'm wearing my ski boots.

Also I'm new here, what's the consensus on taking gondolas this season, re: COVID? I feel like I'd take a lift whenever I had the option. Got three weekdays in at Wolf Creek in November and only shared one lift the entire time, that was cool but I can't imagine that's the norm...

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Suicide Watch posted:

Yes and yes. I use them as work gloves actually, but they are comfy for hauling poo poo around in 5F weather during a storm at night.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Eejit posted:

Yes and yes. I use them as work gloves actually, but they are comfy for hauling poo poo around in 5F weather during a storm at night.

Excellent, I just bought a pair of gloves since I only have mitts (which I can save for the cold cold days). My local ski hill (Mt High) is opening for night skiing this Friday, and I'm thinking of checking it out after work–with just 7 trails open right now it'll basically be a shakedown for the new setup I pieced together over the fall. Hope I can get some skinning in in the coming months though.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Suicide Watch posted:

Excellent, I just bought a pair of gloves since I only have mitts (which I can save for the cold cold days). My local ski hill (Mt High) is opening for night skiing this Friday, and I'm thinking of checking it out after work–with just 7 trails open right now it'll basically be a shakedown for the new setup I pieced together over the fall. Hope I can get some skinning in in the coming months though.
Did you sno seal them and start to break them in yet?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Moogs posted:

One last thought on #helmetchat, I've eaten so much poo poo in icy parking lots that I basically want my helmet any time I'm wearing my ski boots.

Also I'm new here, what's the consensus on taking gondolas this season, re: COVID? I feel like I'd take a lift whenever I had the option. Got three weekdays in at Wolf Creek in November and only shared one lift the entire time, that was cool but I can't imagine that's the norm...

We really have no choice here at Whistler unless you want to pay $15 a day for parking so welp.

Yet another reason to thank Vail for taking out the solar coaster/wizard

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So we’re supposed to get a foot of snow today in Eastern PA. As someone who will not be skiing this year, I would like to kindly donate this snow to somewhere in the mountains, so if anyone wants to take this off my hands just come do a contactless pickup and you can have it all.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

What's the state of snowboard movies in 2020, have they gone to fully digital platform-agnostic (ie, don't need iTunes or w/e) distribution? What are some good videos from the last couple years?

I always loved Airblaster and Think Thank videos, but all of my videos are like a decade old at this point and I sadly have no idea how the sport has progressed over the past ten years :(

e: and Car Danchi, gently caress I love Car Danchi

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 16, 2020

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I saw some Kinco Smith collab gloves on the mountain that were pretty cool, but of course adding Smith’s logo doubles the price.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Suicide Watch posted:

I never been able to get into Kinco gloves. I did see a guy with will Kjus kit and burton step ons with Kinco's though. I found it oddly funny.

denereal visease posted:

What's the state of snowboard movies in 2020, have they gone to fully digital platform-agnostic (ie, don't need iTunes or w/e) distribution? What are some good videos from the last couple years?

I always loved Airblaster and Think Thank videos, but all of my videos are like a decade old at this point and I sadly have no idea how the sport has progressed over the past ten years :(

I saw one film at a drive in. but Shredbots has been putting out a lot of content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRU27KQ6D_vg5zRsqjiwTxA

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

denereal visease posted:

Scandalnavians

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Elysium posted:

So we’re supposed to get a foot of snow today in Eastern PA. As someone who will not be skiing this year, I would like to kindly donate this snow to somewhere in the mountains, so if anyone wants to take this off my hands just come do a contactless pickup and you can have it all.
:golfclap:

Seconded from Western PA (although not quite a foot), but only once I'm done doing donuts in parking lots.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

denereal visease posted:

Not strictly progression but I'd recommend Side Hits Euphoria pt 1, 2 and 3, all of Korua Shapes Yearning for Turning series, Glue, and all of Xavier Delarue's How to XV videos. All of these should be on youtube.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I went out to Wolf Creek this weekend and went over a rock I couldn't see, and put a nice long gouge in my brand new Armadas 😭

Fortunately it didn't penetrate the core, and the only damage to the edge is superficial. I think I can do the repair myself. Do I need to do it before I go back out, or can I wait and just clean up this and any other damage at the end of the season? I didn't really notice any problem riding on it afterward, but I'm also not sure how quickly the damage will progress if I keep using it unrepaired.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I went out to Wolf Creek this weekend and went over a rock I couldn't see, and put a nice long gouge in my brand new Armadas 😭

Fortunately it didn't penetrate the core, and the only damage to the edge is superficial. I think I can do the repair myself. Do I need to do it before I go back out, or can I wait and just clean up this and any other damage at the end of the season? I didn't really notice any problem riding on it afterward, but I'm also not sure how quickly the damage will progress if I keep using it unrepaired.

Do it now. takes like 30 min to fix and rewax.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah do it before you ski them again. Leaving it open risks moisture ingress or the gouge catching on something and ripping further, worse case if it's near the edge you could blow the edge out.

edit: post a pic of the carnage

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 16, 2020

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Elysium posted:

hopefully they do a decent job with the roads so I can get out to shred early tomorrow

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Yeah do it before you ski them again. Leaving it open risks moisture ingress or the gouge catching on something and ripping further, worse case if it's near the edge you could blow the edge out.

edit: post a pic of the carnage

This is the worst of it in terms of depth, which I still think is borderline superficial. Is it deep enough to fill in with PTex or should I just wax over it?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That's pretty shallow, how close to the edge does it get?

Drip some ptex in there, file it back smooth and wax 'em up

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

That's pretty shallow, how close to the edge does it get?

Drip some ptex in there, file it back smooth and wax 'em up

Agree with this. If you were heading out, say tomorrow, and couldn't do it before hand I would go ride.

I was thinking it was going to look like this (from two years ago):

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yeahhh that’s the good stuff

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Agree with this. If you were heading out, say tomorrow, and couldn't do it before hand I would go ride.

I was thinking it was going to look like this (from two years ago):

:lol: of course I wouldn't try to ride that out for an entire season

Mine does go all the way to the edge, but I'd definitely call it just a scratch at that point

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'd be paranoid about at least filling in the scratch near the edge

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

:lol: of course I wouldn't try to ride that out for an entire season

Mine does go all the way to the edge, but I'd definitely call it just a scratch at that point

Glad I could entertain! I figured if it was as bad as those you would not be riding it. You are probably good to wait as long as you need but I still would clean it up.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

This is the worst of it in terms of depth, which I still think is borderline superficial. Is it deep enough to fill in with PTex or should I just wax over it?

loving lol that's nothing dude. You literally won't even notice skiing on it.

Personally I'd wait like a while, at least until I got a REAL scratch on there, before fixing it up.

Man I gotta take a picture of my skis before I fix them up next week. Y'all don't gotta worry about poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Anyone interested in buying some Cochises in very good condition? Hoping to downsize to the Rustler 11 but need to sell these first.