Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Midjack posted:

Alternately someone is a Harley Quinn fan.

Still not enough skin on show for any recent Harley outfits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ugleb posted:

Still not enough skin on show for any recent Harley outfits!

Animated Series Harley is the only true Harley :colbert:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Midjack posted:

Alternately someone is a Harley Quinn fan.

They already had legally distinct harley quinn model and some familiar faces

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

fatherboxx posted:

Ha! Harley Quinn, Katana/Dame Not Barely Appearing In This Film, Deadshot and Killer Croc. That's amusing.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
Nomads actually kind of seem like they’d be a nightmare for the designers, leaning into the “militarised anime nightmare” vibe without crossing the line into “actual fetish” seems a very narrow line to straddle, as evidenced by poo poo like that “squad of berserk furries that people pay to gently caress after they kill other berserk furries also the lady furry has prominent and erect nipples”.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

Hahahahahaha

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Shazaminator posted:

also the lady furry has prominent and erect nipples”.

jokes on you pal, those are merely painted on!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Look at these happy little critters. :3:

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Those are some cool Beasts.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Infinity has always drawn heavy inspiration from popular culture and anime. They have multiple Ghost in the Shell units that look great. I really like the Infinity models, especially the newer ones. None of them seem overly sexualized though they're definitely more sexualized than most GWS models.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Look at these happy little critters. :3:

nurgle creatures are just here to have a good time

Mouse Business
Jun 12, 2019

a7m2 posted:

Infinity has always drawn heavy inspiration from popular culture and anime. They have multiple Ghost in the Shell units that look great. I really like the Infinity models, especially the newer ones. None of them seem overly sexualized though they're definitely more sexualized than most GWS models.

http://impetuousorders.blogspot.com/2012/04/sexism-in-miniature-worst-of-infinity.html?m=1

This is pretty dated now, but they sure as gently caress used to be overly sexualized. They may have improved since then, I don't really keep track since I don't care for Infinity's aesthetics.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Mouse Business posted:

http://impetuousorders.blogspot.com/2012/04/sexism-in-miniature-worst-of-infinity.html?m=1

This is pretty dated now, but they sure as gently caress used to be overly sexualized. They may have improved since then, I don't really keep track since I don't care for Infinity's aesthetics.

So I am a keen Infinity player. As a game it absolutely rocks and I actually love a lot of their more serious hard-sci-fi designs. Most of the models I like are male and this is the reason. Human genders are dimorphic in Corvus Belli's world view. You get male power armoured super-soldiers who are awesome, barrel chested power fantasies, and then the exact same unit female version is a wasp-waisted waif in high heels. It seriously pisses me off.

Unfortunately the creepy anime side seems inextricably linked to the designers' idea of the game. While they have lessened the overtly absurd miniatures over the years, the gender difference and built-in 'combat heels' on all female armour up to and including giant robot suits seem like they're here to stay.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Genghis Cohen posted:

So I am a keen Infinity player. As a game it absolutely rocks and I actually love a lot of their more serious hard-sci-fi designs. Most of the models I like are male and this is the reason. Human genders are dimorphic in Corvus Belli's world view. You get male power armoured super-soldiers who are awesome, barrel chested power fantasies, and then the exact same unit female version is a wasp-waisted waif in high heels. It seriously pisses me off.

Unfortunately the creepy anime side seems inextricably linked to the designers' idea of the game. While they have lessened the overtly absurd miniatures over the years, the gender difference and built-in 'combat heels' on all female armour up to and including giant robot suits seem like they're here to stay.

This is totally fair. There is a lot of nice stuff in the range, so it's a shame they pander to the anime stereotype when it comes to any female sculpt.

General question, is there any interest in Infinity from actual women? Malifaux seems to attract more female players/painters than most minis games do. While there are certainly plenty of cleavages and lithe legs in Malifaux, Wyrd seem to do a much better job of empowering their typically beautiful female protagonists.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Mouse Business posted:

Yeah fair enough. I haven't seen any of these before, I've only recently gotten into it.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Ugleb posted:

This is totally fair. There is a lot of nice stuff in the range, so it's a shame they pander to the anime stereotype when it comes to any female sculpt.

General question, is there any interest in Infinity from actual women? Malifaux seems to attract more female players/painters than most minis games do. While there are certainly plenty of cleavages and lithe legs in Malifaux, Wyrd seem to do a much better job of empowering their typically beautiful female protagonists.

Interesting question. I have to say that when I've gone to a wargaming club or similar to play Infinity, I can remember seeing only one woman player over years (although I don't get to go to clubs often due to my work pattern), and that's the same woman who is the only female player I've ever seen at a tournament. Although she is now a strong player in her own right, she was to be fair brought into playing Infinity by her boyfriend, who's one of the best and keenest players I know. So not exactly a telling sample size.

Is this unique to Infinity? A lot more people play Warhammer and other GW games in the UK, and even around those games I've rarely run into any women players. Maybe I'm unlucky in my gaming scenes, but it still seems like an overwhelmingly male hobby to me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Genghis Cohen posted:

Interesting question. I have to say that when I've gone to a wargaming club or similar to play Infinity, I can remember seeing only one woman player over years (although I don't get to go to clubs often due to my work pattern), and that's the same woman who is the only female player I've ever seen at a tournament. Although she is now a strong player in her own right, she was to be fair brought into playing Infinity by her boyfriend, who's one of the best and keenest players I know. So not exactly a telling sample size.

Is this unique to Infinity? A lot more people play Warhammer and other GW games in the UK, and even around those games I've rarely run into any women players. Maybe I'm unlucky in my gaming scenes, but it still seems like an overwhelmingly male hobby to me.

Definitely, I think 95% of the products are made by men targeting other men, and it seems like every woman who is in the hobby (or bounced off of it) has a story where they walk into the local nerd shop, a hushed silence fills the room, and some dipshit shouts "girl!".

It seems that adjacent hobbies like RPGs and boardgaming are attracting more women, and stuff like GW, and Malifaux, and hell even Infinity to some extent are better than they were ten years ago. But it's still extremely male-centric.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Nerd sexism is unfortunately still very dominating in a lot of gaming communities

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Fashionable Jorts posted:

nurgle creatures are just here to have a good time

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Dude doesn’t even have a clip board. How does he expect to write on that scroll?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
It's Nurgle, I'm sure it's very, very stiff

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

smug jeebus posted:

It's Nurgle, I'm sure it's very, very stiff

Crusty, even.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nerd sexism is unfortunately still very dominating in a lot of gaming communities

I belong to a secret cabal of anarchist nerds who undermine and attack people that act sexist or reddity in our community and it's the best part of the hobby.

Just conspiring together to plan the social murder of goobers... yum yum.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
90% of the people I play TTRPGs with are queer women who appreciate the occasional tiddy mini. Female Malifaux gremlins are close to the peak in tiddy mini technology.

I think if I ever showed them Infinity models they'd be universally skeeved out.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

a7m2 posted:

Yeah fair enough. I haven't seen any of these before, I've only recently gotten into it.

Those are mostly old figures anyway, one day I'll do an update but I stopped playing/painting Infinity ages ago

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ugleb posted:

Anecdotally, about the same as with GW games in my area, i.e. very few but they exist.
But we recently got a woman warcor (developer-approved community leader/tournament organizer) in Moscow. CB seems interested enough in branching out in appeal - they even got her in the "people play our game, honestly" photo section of the rulebook

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Wrong thread

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

GANDAAAAAALLLLLLLFFFFFFFFFFF!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

fatherboxx posted:

Anecdotally, about the same as with GW games in my area, i.e. very few but they exist.
But we recently got a woman warcor (developer-approved community leader/tournament organizer) in Moscow. CB seems interested enough in branching out in appeal - they even got her in the "people play our game, honestly" photo section of the rulebook

Fair enough, I've come across a couple of women plating in Batman tournaments (and attended several) but yes it's a low percentage. I know two women at work who paint (GW) minis but don't play minis games. One of them loves her D&D.

My local boardgame club on the other hand is easily a quarter female and we have held events of 120+.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

My wife came into a GW with me and we still refer to it as the most intense example of cringy male gaze we've ever seen. The people there, the loving employee, just completely unaware full on staring at her body parts. I think she was wearing a Christmas sweater and lulu lemon pants, but it was like she walked through wearing whipped cream for clothes.
People in this hobby are helpless and maybe it's just my experience in the few cities I've lived in but it seems like it's everywhere. I hope it's getting better outside my little bubble, because my niece is really into these games and I want her to play in an environment that isn't so toxic when she's older.
Sorry for the rant, it just annoys me.

Ugleb posted:

My local boardgame club on the other hand is easily a quarter female and we have held events of 120+.

Awesome :)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

miniatures that make you say "Yes"

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

hello new phone background

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I love him.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

I'm loving crying, this is so funny

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

he looks just so bothered, not even angry just 'not this poo poo again, I've got stuff to do today, parrot!'

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

sexpig by night posted:

he looks just so bothered, not even angry just 'not this poo poo again, I've got stuff to do today, parrot!'

that's just life with a parrot, you get used to it

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
crop it so it is a super tall image then share on fb so your friends get a delightful surprise when they click it the image

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My wife came into a GW with me and we still refer to it as the most intense example of cringy male gaze we've ever seen. The people there, the loving employee, just completely unaware full on staring at her body parts. I think she was wearing a Christmas sweater and lulu lemon pants, but it was like she walked through wearing whipped cream for clothes.
People in this hobby are helpless and maybe it's just my experience in the few cities I've lived in but it seems like it's everywhere. I hope it's getting better outside my little bubble, because my niece is really into these games and I want her to play in an environment that isn't so toxic when she's older.
Sorry for the rant, it just annoys me.

Lord, this reminds me of a similar experience. I was in the back room of the FLGS playing Virgin Queen or something with a bunch of other expats and my friend, who happens to be an American woman, came into the store to check it out since she knew I was there and received absolutely nothing but blank stares. The staff didn't even ask her if she was looking for something. She came into the room to see how I was doing and it was painful how badly everyone tried to simultaneously stare at her and not acknowledge her.

My wife, an Asian woman, came in a bit later with food for me and the men were falling over themselves demanding to know where their dinners were. The contrast was absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Lord, this reminds me of a similar experience. I was in the back room of the FLGS playing Virgin Queen or something with a bunch of other expats and my friend, who happens to be an American woman, came into the store to check it out since she knew I was there and received absolutely nothing but blank stares. The staff didn't even ask her if she was looking for something. She came into the room to see how I was doing and it was painful how badly everyone tried to simultaneously stare at her and not acknowledge her.

My wife, an Asian woman, came in a bit later with food for me and the men were falling over themselves demanding to know where their dinners were. The contrast was absurd.

Reading this is so painful.

One of the The Flophouse guys worked at gw and helped Sigourney Weaver buy super glue when she came in, not at all understanding what the store was. But I guess she got her glue. That's my "a woman didn't find gw frustrating and gross" story.