Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Given how incredibly noisy Cyberpunk is with TAA disabled it's really not surprising that DLSS struggles compared to other games

It's already badly undersampled at native resolution so dropping the resolution further just compounds the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
When the resolution really drops on PS5, sometimes it looks like a pointillism painting. Never seen anything quite like it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

Given how incredibly noisy Cyberpunk is with TAA disabled it's really not surprising that DLSS struggles compared to other games

It's already badly undersampled at native resolution so dropping the resolution further just compounds the problem

Isn't it somewhat fair to point out it's a limitation of the technique (dlss), rather than the game's "fault", since not every game's made the same way?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

Yeah it's really weird even on the 1070 without any DLSS nonsense, the reflections can look noisy as if the game was gathering more rays over time, and the TAA trails are extremely obvious in some cases as well. It's all hacks upon hacks, only RT can save us, just need moar cores.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Isn't it somewhat fair to point out it's a limitation of the technique (dlss), rather than the game's "fault", since not every game's made the same way?

Yeah it's fair, just pointing out why it probably happens. Ultimately it's Nvidia's fault for being stubborn about the fixed DLSS quality tiers (e.g. 1440p DLSS Quality is always 960p internal) when the resolution scales should really be tuned per-game depending on how difficult they are to resolve.

or just give us a DLSS Custom option that allows dialing in arbitrary resolution scales (I know you can do it with config edits in Control but that doesn't apply generally)

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 16, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rinkles posted:

that is quite noticeable

If you're standing still and cropping a screenshot to draw attention to it, maybe. In motion it's a non-issue.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ijyt posted:

If you're standing still and cropping a screenshot to draw attention to it, maybe. In motion it's a non-issue.

i mean that to me looks pretty similar to running native versus running at less than native*, which i've done many times and the difference is obvious.

(*except in the few areas where dlss is working its magic)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can definitely notice the decline in sharpness with DLSS on a 1440p display for CP2077, even in Quality mode which I assume is rendering at 960p. The NCP sharpening filter helps but only to an extent, because if you set it too high then hair and shadows will start to get really grainy.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Walmart is getting into the scalping business: https://www.walmart.com/ip/AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X-6-core-12-thread-Desktop-Processor/182785024

A few 5600x still up because they're charging nearly double MSRP.

e:meant for the AMD thread but still somewhat relevant here

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Walmart (like Amazon) has an entire marketplace backend where any seller can sell things, you can tell by the "Sold & shipped byMemoryC" at the bottom.

Not that it makes it any better, but at least it's not them directly doing it.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Canasta_Nasty posted:

Walmart is getting into the scalping business: https://www.walmart.com/ip/AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X-6-core-12-thread-Desktop-Processor/182785024

So why do any of the stores ever sell it for MSRP when they can just not.

Is Walmart just assuming they can’t be any more hated by customers here?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

spunkshui posted:

So why do any of the stores ever sell it for MSRP when they can just not.

Is Walmart just assuming they can’t be any more hated by customers here?

They are obligated to sell it for MSRP, it’s their deal with the manufacturer. Third party sellers are under no such obligation.

This is why MSI set up a shadow company to scalp their own cards. To try to avoid getting on NVIDIA’s poo poo list.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Or just OC the card by 10MHZ and then sell it for $150 more, which is what basically all 3080s are doing.

The # of 3080s being sold at the $699 MSR has to be single digit percentage.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Animal posted:

They are obligated to sell it for MSRP, it’s their deal with the manufacturer. Third party sellers are under no such obligation.

This is why MSI set up a shadow company to scalp their own cards. To try to avoid getting on NVIDIA’s poo poo list.

Speaking of which, who wants to buy an MSI 3070 from a third-party on Newegg for $1,800? https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-3070-rtx-3070-gaming-x-trio/p/N82E16814137603

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

For the hell of it I looked up TUF 3080s on eBay and like half of the sold auctions were scammers selling pictures of the boxes

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Cables for high-refresh monitors (DP1.4 and HDMI 2.1) are an absolute shitshow, the best advice anybody can give you is to buy a couple and return the ones that don’t work. Stay at no more than 2 meters/6 feet if at all humanly possible, 1 meter/3 foot cables are even better if you have the PC on your desk. 3 meter cables are incredibly flaky despite still being nominally in-spec (for DP, max HDMI 2.1 is 2 meters).

“Certified” cables mean nothing and can still have problems.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 16, 2020

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Canasta_Nasty posted:

Says it’s sold by Memory C for me, not Walmart themselves.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What's the link to the nvidia GPU-watching discord again?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Jinnigan posted:

What's the link to the nvidia GPU-watching discord again?

https://discord.com/invite/atr

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

thread title should just be this

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Paul MaudDib posted:

Cables for high-refresh monitors (DP1.4 and HDMI 2.1) are an absolute shitshow, the best advice anybody can give you is to buy a couple and return the ones that don’t work. Stay at no more than 2 meters/6 feet if at all humanly possible, 3 meter cables are incredibly flaky. 1 meter/3 foot cables are even better if you have the PC on your desk.

“Certified” cables mean nothing and can still have problems.

My PC is in the living room connected to the tv and due to the weird not at all possible to rectify layout of the room, the cable needs to be at least 8 feet. Both cables I've purchased have random artifacting, flicker, and blackouts. At first I thought it was the quality of the cable but you are correct in that really anything over 5feet for 2.1 is a total poo poo show.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
thank you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

kloa posted:

thread title should just be this another discord that copies the links but 30 seconds later

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Bloopsy posted:

My PC is in the living room connected to the tv and due to the weird not at all possible to rectify layout of the room, the cable needs to be at least 8 feet. Both cables I've purchased have random artifacting, flicker, and blackouts. At first I thought it was the quality of the cable but you are correct in that really anything over 5feet for 2.1 is a total poo poo show.

Well, that's distressing. I'm in a similar boat in terms of living room layout (TV and inputs are on perpendicular walls), and I was planning to upgrade to a 4K TV next year. Guess I'm just screwed.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
On the Microcenter website for my location it says there's 1 3080 in stock and a bunch of 3070s. How accurate is the online stock vs the store?

Edit: nevermind, just checked the store hours and it's "closed for deep cleaning" which is why they're still sitting on stock...

horchata fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 16, 2020

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It's been quarter of a year since release and it is still virtually impossible to get a 3080. Unbelievable.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Thoom posted:

Well, that's distressing. I'm in a similar boat in terms of living room layout (TV and inputs are on perpendicular walls), and I was planning to upgrade to a 4K TV next year. Guess I'm just screwed.

I bought my tv a few months ago specifically for the 4k120hz capabilities so yeah I'm kinda bummed too.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's been quarter of a year since release and it is still virtually impossible to get a 3080. Unbelievable.

this is your first big GPU release, isn't it?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Has anyone tested these amplified HDMI 2.1 cables yet? They're new on Cable Matters since the last time I checked

https://www.cablematters.com/pc-1329-142-48gbps-active-8k-hdmi-cable.aspx

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

exquisite tea posted:

You can definitely notice the decline in sharpness with DLSS on a 1440p display for CP2077, even in Quality mode which I assume is rendering at 960p. The NCP sharpening filter helps but only to an extent, because if you set it too high then hair and shadows will start to get really grainy.

If you're playing around with sharpness filters through the control panel I suggest doing it through the overlay instead (alt-f3). Easier to adjust on the fly and it saves profiles per-game.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
lmao remembered it was wednesday and figured I'd check in on EVGA's b-stock to see what they have

they have two GPUs, a 8400 GS and a GTX 970 for $175

like gently caress what is it, 2016?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh nice they've finally started certifying HDMI 2.1 cables

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6SguHsfv3M

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

lmao remembered it was wednesday and figured I'd check in on EVGA's b-stock to see what they have

they have two GPUs, a 8400 GS and a GTX 970 for $175

like gently caress what is it, 2016?

Makes me wonder what they are doing with all the step-up cards they're getting in.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Enos Cabell posted:

Makes me wonder what they are doing with all the step-up cards they're getting in.

The traditional answer has been to turn them around as B-Stock or use them as RMA replacements. Who knows if the volume of cards they're getting now is enough that they're looking into other options, or if they figure the GPU situation across the board is so hosed up they can just flip 'em all back as B-Stocks and not really lose much/any money.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

horchata posted:

On the Microcenter website for my location it says there's 1 3080 in stock and a bunch of 3070s. How accurate is the online stock vs the store?

Edit: nevermind, just checked the store hours and it's "closed for deep cleaning" which is why they're still sitting on stock...

that sounds like the perfect reason to go tomorrow morning first thing and buy it

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I managed to get my order in for a 3080 today, thanks to a Canadian stock monitoring twitch stream of all things.

edit: in case it helps someone else - https://www.twitch.tv/war10ck3d

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i wonder if demand for cards will cool down a bit after people move on from CP2077, there aren't any major shiny games coming out in the next half year

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

shrike82 posted:

i wonder if demand for cards will cool down a bit after people move on from CP2077, there aren't any major shiny games coming out in the next half year

Maybe a little, except now we're into Christmas season, and after that it'll be all the people who insisted they weren't gonna buy a card at scalper prices and didn't want to play the Discord notification game still buying them.

I don't honestly expect cards to be on actual store shelves in any meaningful sense of the word until probably the summer. And maybe not even then for AMD.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

that sounds like the perfect reason to go tomorrow morning first thing and buy it

They gave out vouchers today before they closed down so those are being honored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

So I'm new to this whole scene, just joined the discords and signed up for alerts and everything. The PSUs that Gigabyte are bundling with the 3070s are all terrible, right? They have awful reviews, about half of the people are saying they were DOA. Are they using this as an opportunity to clear out their stock that was shoddily manufactured?