Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we believe strongly in conservative values and the importance of never, ever, acknowledging what those values are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I conserve the right to give Erin o'toole a swirly

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I value the conservation of cold shitwater in Erin o'toole's ears and mouth as I dunk him, repeatedly, into a used commode

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
i think he would benefit more from being stuck headfirst in the shine-o ball-o

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!
O'Toole: Scheer stupid but louder and faster.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Vermain posted:

the most hilarious part of this whole debacle is that ex-prime minister stephen j. harper specifically acknowledged that residential schools were set up for the purpose of assimilation back in 2008. the party had already broadcast the correct messaging a full decade ago, but their party apparatus has crumbled so badly that they can't even get a loving flavorless meathead like o'toole to stick with it

Harper would like to help but he's busy ruining a bunch of other countries right now

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lol congrats Canada we did it, we hosed everyone else somehow

https://twitter.com/id4ro/status/1339391785517367298?s=21

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
well how many doses does it take for a single member of the upper class to bathe in it? we might have enough for the poors when all is said and done

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i'm sure that canada, as a model world citizen, simply bought those doses in order to donate them to less fortunate countries

although i am curious how long it'll take the tories to switch from "pandemic response was a mess! canada is being sent to the back of the waiting line for vaccines! treason!" to "typical big government mismanagement! should have left everything to the private sector! cut healthcare funding!"

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I’m sure the giant pharmaceutical companies were all set to supply the global south but gosh darn it that Canada.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
at least we'll have enough for essential nhl workers

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i'm sure that canada, as a model world citizen, simply bought those doses in order to donate them to less fortunate countries

that's the plan, at least according to trudeau, and i actually believe him. i don't think he'd be stupid enough to try and scalp wealthy nations, and distributing it to poorer nations either below cost or for free buys him a boatload of international goodwill. canada's becoming increasingly isolated with a southern neighbor that's fracturing apart, hostile relations with china, and the whole fracas with russia that's gonna come with the opening of the northwest passage, so it can't hurt to pull a big PR move like this

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Vaccine only lasts for 4 weeks so you need to keep reupping

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

So what's the opinion of this thread if the liberals didn't order enough doses of vaccine?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Vaccine only lasts for 4 weeks so you need to keep reupping

Canada: The first hit is always free

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

half cocaine posted:

So what's the opinion of this thread if the liberals didn't order enough doses of vaccine?

you wouldn't need a vaccine if you beat the virus like certain other commonwealth countries

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Reality Protester posted:

you wouldn't need a vaccine if you beat the virus like certain other commonwealth countries

Right so the feds should have just called Jason Kenney, Brian Pallister, and Rob Ford and asked them politely to close up their provinces and make their populations wear masks.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

despite your framing, a bit of leadership during a crisis can actually go a long way

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
circumventing the three worst premiers in the country to deliver effective coronavirus response is good, yeah

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

vyelkin posted:

if you condemn residential schools then you might also have to condemn the people who set them up, like founding father and wonderful conservative sir john a macdonald, and then whoops before you know it maybe you should actually rename those buildings and take down the statues after all

admitting residential schools were bad means being on the wrong side of the culture war, so actually it turns out they were great and just a noble effort to educate the ungrateful natives

for gently caress's sake

Mr. O'Toole says "Whoopsie!!"

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole is walking back comments he made to Ryerson University students claiming the residential school system was designed to "provide education" to Indigenous children before it went off the rails and became a "horrible program."

"The very existence of residential schools is a terrible stain on Canada's history that has had sweeping impacts on generations of Indigenous Canadians," O'Toole said in a statement released Wednesday.

"I speak about the harm caused by residential schools regularly. In my comments to Ryerson students, I said that the residential school system was intended to try and 'provide education.' It was not. The system was intended to remove children from the influence of their homes, families, traditions and cultures."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/erin-otoole-residential-schools-comments-1.5844307

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so, is the canadian right calling him a coward yet?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

half cocaine posted:

there’s probably a nice middle ground between ordering 0 vaccine and ordering half a billion vaccine

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DariusLikewise posted:

there’s probably a nice middle ground between ordering 0 vaccine and ordering half a billion vaccine

America ordered only 3 vaccines per citizen and they won't get their second batch of vax until June.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

infernal machines posted:

so, is the canadian right calling him a coward yet?

cowards usually don't point fingers at cowards, I think they usually cluck about

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

CocoaNuts posted:

Mr. O'Toole says "Whoopsie!!"

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole is walking back comments he made to Ryerson University students claiming the residential school system was designed to "provide education" to Indigenous children before it went off the rails and became a "horrible program."

"The very existence of residential schools is a terrible stain on Canada's history that has had sweeping impacts on generations of Indigenous Canadians," O'Toole said in a statement released Wednesday.

"I speak about the harm caused by residential schools regularly. In my comments to Ryerson students, I said that the residential school system was intended to try and 'provide education.' It was not. The system was intended to remove children from the influence of their homes, families, traditions and cultures."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/erin-otoole-residential-schools-comments-1.5844307

"blink"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DariusLikewise posted:

blocking the waiving of patents is shameful poo poo (though unsurprising)

how did we end up with all those orders? did we just pay more?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

DariusLikewise posted:

Hell yeah I'm going to get vaccinated so many times

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Hell yeah I'm going to get vaccinated so many times

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

pokeyman posted:

blocking the waiving of patents is shameful poo poo (though unsurprising)

how did we end up with all those orders? did we just pay more?

We were late to the negotiation table compared to other countries, but most other countries went with one or two vaccine sources for much larger populations. Also we're paying more, yes. And we'll get them first.

Instead of fighting for the large orders of, say, 100k units of vaccine at $50/unit, we buy 20k units of the same vaccine at $70 a unit. The company can produce that 20k a lot faster, and is incentivized to do so because you get paid a lot more to deliver those first. Now do that from 6 more companies.

It's more complicated than that, but that's the basics. Making our own vaccine would've been more expensive, and it's national policy to avoid spending on R&D.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Isizzlehorn posted:

We were late to the negotiation table compared to other countries, but most other countries went with one or two vaccine sources for much larger populations. Also we're paying more, yes. And we'll get them first.

Instead of fighting for the large orders of, say, 100k units of vaccine at $50/unit, we buy 20k units of the same vaccine at $70 a unit. The company can produce that 20k a lot faster, and is incentivized to do so because you get paid a lot more to deliver those first. Now do that from 6 more companies.

It's more complicated than that, but that's the basics. Making our own vaccine would've been more expensive, and it's national policy to avoid spending on R&D.

makes sense

I honestly can't tell if you're joking about avoiding r&d as a matter of policy. I assume not but that's such a hilariously odd policy

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

hahaha only jj could vomit up something this loving stupid

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1339442230231232513?s=20

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao yeah justin trudeau sure is a dictator-in-waiting eh

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
there is no power to transfer, the PM is a servant. if the queen doesn't want you then the guy with the big mace bashes your head in. im pretty sure thats what the mace is for

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

there is no power to transfer, the PM is a servant. if the queen doesn't want you then the guy with the big mace bashes your head in. im pretty sure thats what the mace is for

no u see nothing is written down so justin trudeau will get the governor-general to declare that he is now king of canada and legally there's nothing in the rulebook that says a dog can't play basketball bing bong boom so simple

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

no u see nothing is written down so justin trudeau will get the governor-general to declare that he is now king of canada and legally there's nothing in the rulebook that says a dog can't play basketball bing bong boom so simple

It’s one of those things that seems like it makes sense if you aren’t Canadian or don’t have any experience with parliamentary democracies at al

Like welp yep doesn’t work like this we’re all just laughing at you now WaPo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

It’s one of those things that seems like it makes sense if you aren’t Canadian or don’t have any experience with parliamentary democracies at al

Yeah like how every single election we get some clickbaity article saying "technically nothing in the rules says the Prime Minister has to resign if they don't have the confidence of the House!!" and it's like, who gives a poo poo, it doesn't actually work that way

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Arivia posted:

You say that, but I am willing to bet money this article is already making the rounds on facebook with people getting very mad about it.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011
Surprising no one:

https://twitter.com/AngelaSterritt/status/1339603102303862789?s=19

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

pokeyman posted:

makes sense

I honestly can't tell if you're joking about avoiding r&d as a matter of policy. I assume not but that's such a hilariously odd policy

It all makes much more sense when you remember we're a resource extraction company masquerading as a country. Our comparative advantage is that we have raw materials and we still manage to gently caress that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

no u see nothing is written down so justin trudeau will get the governor-general to declare that he is now king of canada and legally there's nothing in the rulebook that says a dog can't play basketball bing bong King Byng boom so simple