Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

They didn't even make him a Disney style furry cat-man.

He's a man with a proportional cat head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Frekkie Melody posted:

They didn't even make him a Disney style furry cat-man.

He's a man with a proportional cat head.

That's how the characters in Robin Hood were mostly, the Ur-Furry movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah he's a cat

:hmmyes:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Picturing one of those hairless cats with a man’s body and lol

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

She’s a paramedic that drives an ambulance that is actually Danny (the former street) which contains a portal to Dannyland in the back. Gerard Way’s Doom Patrol is a lot of fun, and I need to catch up on the latest volume.

I also suggest checking out the Milk Wars crossover. It has the Young Animal characters (Doom Patrol, Mother Panic, Shade the Changing Girl, and Cave Carson) with DC characters with a twist.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That's Fritz the Cat! Don't have sex with Fritz the Cat!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
My friend would really like to start getting into Superman. How many titles does he need to grab to be doing that right now? Off the top I imagine Superman, Action Comics, and Justice League.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SonicRulez posted:

My friend would really like to start getting into Superman. How many titles does he need to grab to be doing that right now? Off the top I imagine Superman, Action Comics, and Justice League.

I'd start them with trades.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Is the IDW TMNT all collected in trades or is it still ongoing? I need to add some more stuff to my X-mas list.

Also I heard that Eastman and Laird are working together on kind of another Miller inspired TMNT reboot that started this year. Is that any good?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's still ongoing, but there are trades collecting much of it. There are a lot of side series so I recommend using this guide to keep track.

It is, in my view, the most consistently good and entertaining version of the TMNT franchise. The Bebop and Rocksteady minis are particularly great.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
If you can afford them, those IDW Collections are a pretty good way of reading everything in order.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I read King in Black 1 and it is good for what it is but I felt a little lost at times, like I walked in midway through the story. I typically only collect stuff from the 70s to 90s so this is quite a common feeling for me whenever I read modern stuff. Like, Venom has a son and I get that, but where can I get background on Knull and how the avengers found out about him?Are there any stories or issues I should have read first?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The knull story starts with Donny Cates' venom run which began in...2017?? I think and runs through pretty much everything Cates has written at marvel

E: quick check on Google says issue 1 came out may 2018

site fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 8, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I read King in Black 1 and it is good for what it is but I felt a little lost at times, like I walked in midway through the story. I typically only collect stuff from the 70s to 90s so this is quite a common feeling for me whenever I read modern stuff. Like, Venom has a son and I get that, but where can I get background on Knull and how the avengers found out about him?Are there any stories or issues I should have read first?

You'd want Cates' Venom run for most of it. Silver Surfer Black expands it a bit, and technically Aaron's Thor stuff (at least the first arc) but that's more of a retcon.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Thanks for the quick replies.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
How did She-Hulk get so Hulky? Is there a storyline I can read?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

I think it's mental trauma from getting put in a coma during Civil War 2.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Beerdeer posted:

Jason Aaron's Avengers is all you need

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Beerdeer posted:

There is no fully coherent explanation for this that doesn't involve at least one retcon/ignored storyline. Like Skwirl said, She-Hulk originally went full on angry small-word Hulk after Civil War 2 because of the trauma of seeing Bruce Banner die. This storyline was introduced and resolved within the pages of Hulk (2016) by Mariko Tamaki and Nico Leon. Jason Aaron then decided to make She-Hulk even angrier and even more small-word-y for his current Avengers run, and it kind of came out of nowhere and made very little sense when considering the storyline that came before it. It seems that a lot of other Marvel writers really dislike this creative decision, since almost all appearances of Jennifer Walters outside of Avengers either ignore it or come up with a quick way to make her normal again.

Long story short, read Hulk (2016) if you want (it's pretty good!), but if you start reading the current Avengers run by Jason Aaron from the beginning you'll find as good of an explanation for Hulky She-Hulk as you're going to get.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 14, 2020

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

JordanKai posted:

It seems that a lot of other Marvel writers really dislike this creative decision, since almost all appearances of Jennifer Walters outside of Avengers either ignore it or come up with a quick way to make her normal again.

Wasn't maintaining at least a semblance of consistency the job of editorial?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Wasn't maintaining at least a semblance of consistency the job of editorial?

Oh you sweet summer child.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
the job of editorial is to make sure the book comes out, preferably on time. The last time Marvel editorial had anyone who actively tried to shepherd continuity issues was probably Mark Gruenwald; these days it's less "does this match up with past stories" and more "will this make Disney unhappy"

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Thanks much guys. I’ll try the 2016 Hulk at least.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think there was an issue of Avengers that more or less implied that Jen could go to her older form if she wanted to but she actually prefers the bigger Hulk Smash form.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
#20 sort of implies that. I might be wrong but I believe that early in the run we also see some contradiction between her "JEN SMASH" speech bubbles and more sedate interior monologue. See also Immortal She-Hulk.

Edit: Normally I'd go looking for citations for this but it's 3:00 AM and I strongly dislike Jason Aaron's Avengers. I guess the whole run is up on Comixology Unlimited right now though so I don't know, give me a minute and I'll see if I fall asleep before I find anything.

Ok, here we go. From Avengers (2018) #21, right after the aforementioned issue about Jen's adoption of the "savage" Hulk as a kind of deliberate performance.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 14, 2020

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This might be a bit subjective and the answer is probably "it depends" or "both" but was Jim Shooter a bad EiC at Marvel? I am currently reading Stan Lee's biography and it is pretty much a history of Marvel (whether it was when Lee was there or not) and I just got to the Shooter years. By the sounds of it Marvel had a hard time keeping a EiC for longer than a year or two and it seemed like a freeform unweilding mess trying to keep books right and out on time and whatever else. It also seemed to be Marvel at it's most creative. Then Shooter comes, gives more power to the editors and tries to run a tight ship from the sounds of it. It also seems like a lot of the talent hated him (never really mentions if it is because of the tight ship thing or personality wise). I am trying to remember the stuff I read in the Marvel Comics: The Untold Story and it seems like it is saying the same thing. So was he a bad EiC, a bad person on a personal level, or eventually correct in the way he ran things?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Madkal posted:

This might be a bit subjective and the answer is probably "it depends" or "both" but was Jim Shooter a bad EiC at Marvel? I am currently reading Stan Lee's biography and it is pretty much a history of Marvel (whether it was when Lee was there or not) and I just got to the Shooter years. By the sounds of it Marvel had a hard time keeping a EiC for longer than a year or two and it seemed like a freeform unweilding mess trying to keep books right and out on time and whatever else. It also seemed to be Marvel at it's most creative. Then Shooter comes, gives more power to the editors and tries to run a tight ship from the sounds of it. It also seems like a lot of the talent hated him (never really mentions if it is because of the tight ship thing or personality wise). I am trying to remember the stuff I read in the Marvel Comics: The Untold Story and it seems like it is saying the same thing. So was he a bad EiC, a bad person on a personal level, or eventually correct in the way he ran things?
I think the short version was that he was flawed but almost definitely what Marvel needed at the time.

The revolving door of EiCs in the 1970s was due in part to the second wave of Marvel Era people coming in and all fully buying into the Merry Marvel Marching Society ol' Bullpen Gang and all of them on one level or another wanted to be One of the Boys being creative in opposition to the stuffed shirt suits. This created many good comics and also a lot of bad comics and was a bit of a business disasters because being One of the Boys meant not being a jerk about deadlines or things not being coherent or etc. etc.

Jim Shooter (though he was younger than I think anyone else who took over the slot besides maybe Conway?) was less concerned about being One of the Boys and more concerned about running Marvel successfully. He stopped letting deadlines/shipping dates slide, stopped letting editors assign books to themselves to write, and laid down a bunch of creative/editorial rules that people bristled over, though at the same time it's not like a bunch of groundbreaking/popular comics weren't launched during his tenure.

And while he definitely was valuing "commerce" more than anyone in the era between him and Stan Lee, I always got the impression he also values the art side of the equation. When he got replaced by Tom DeFalco, who was more amenable to all of the variant covers, gimmick #1s, crossovers, etc. that marketing/executives were clamoring for, a lot of creators/editors were excited, because DeFalco was One of the Boys. But he was also One of the Boys who was willing to go along with pretty much anything pushed down from the top. When DeFalco was eventually replaced by Bob Harras, Harras was less interested in sugar coating the corporate mandates with "One of the Boys" camraderie, and was content to just play boss.

One thing people frequently point out as "Jim Shooter is bad" is a wildly homophobic Rampaging Hulk magazine story he wrote, which is unquestionably gross; he did some decidedly mixed/mostly bad LGBTQ representation in early Valiant, as well. While not defending either of those in the slightest, it is also a signpost of how much (most of) society has evolved in the past 30-45 years, and despite what any older Jim Shooter Hatin' creator may say, that doesn't seem to have been any sort of source of anger/outrage from them contemporaneously. It's not like Shooter was making jolly "f-word slur" jokes in fanzines of the era -- that would be John Byrne, one of his biggest critics.

It's also worth noting that two people from that era of Marvel who have almost exclusively positive takeaways from working with Shooter are Larry Hama and Jim Owsley, basically the only two not-white dudes in the offices for much of Shooter's tenure.

There's also the whole Jack Kirby issue, where Shooter absolutely was the public face of some creator rights issues where Marvel came off horribly in the 1980s. He always insists that he fought back against these corporate edicts, and there's circumstantial evidence he did, but this is another thing that some old heads will always hate him for, and that's also understandable.

This was not short at all. Jim Shooter is a land of contrasts, graded on a curve of Marvel EiCs I think he did a good job for his era from a creative/business perspective, but was definitely not the most personable/'cool' person to hold the position.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the write up. The impression I got from the books I was reading was rather vague in why he rubbed people the wrong way and what he actually did , but when describing those things in any amount of small detail they did give he didn't seem that bad and it felt like it was a clash of egos.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Shooters biggest sin is publishing avengers 200 and then pretending he had no idea how it got put out

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Madkal posted:

Thanks for the write up. The impression I got from the books I was reading was rather vague in why he rubbed people the wrong way and what he actually did , but when describing those things in any amount of small detail they did give he didn't seem that bad and it felt like it was a clash of egos.

A lot of the post-Shooter consensus seems to have just blindly accepted the opinions of people like John Byrne, who were all "oh he was a monster, how dare he restrain my genius" after literally burning Shooter in effigy

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I cant help but like Jim Shooter despite some contemptible stuff he said and did because, man, gently caress John Byrne.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I cant help but like Jim Shooter despite some contemptible stuff he said and did because, man, gently caress John Byrne.

He was also 100% right about Jean Grey needing to die, don't get me wrong, I love her in a lot of stuff that came after she came back, but in that moment she needed to die.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

A lot of the post-Shooter consensus seems to have just blindly accepted the opinions of people like John Byrne, who were all "oh he was a monster, how dare he restrain my genius" after literally burning Shooter in effigy

Yeah, a lot of the ire directed at Shooter by creative was bruised egos. Not every story decision Shooter made as EIC was right, but it was his right to make them.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I personally hold a grudge against Shooter for Dazzler: The Movie.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m holding a grudge against E&C for mentioning the Merry Marvel Marching Society, because a guy from my local comic store has a laminated one from when he was a kid somewhere in his house, and said I could have it if he ever finds it. I want it so bad, I’d replace my drivers license with it in my wallet.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Shooters biggest sin is publishing avengers 200 and then pretending he had no idea how it got put out

He does accept any and all blame one wishes to give for it, though:

Jim Shooter posted:

I found my copy of Avengers #200. I read it. I agree with the consensus, it’s heinous. But, I don’t remember much about how it got that way.

I am credited not only as Editor in Chief but as one of the co-plotters. However, I didn’t see anything in the book that jogged my memory. No bits that I remember suggesting. No corrections of the sort I might have made to a plot passed before me.

But I did see many things I would have had changed if I’d seen the plot. For instance, leaving aside the Ms. Marvel mess for the nonce: Iron Man thinks it’s okay for the weird, mysterious child to be given a “laser torch” and electronic equipment so he can build a machine. What?! As the massive machine is being assembled, no one bothers to question what it is or does. What?! Trouble ensues. No kidding, really? Good grief.

At that time, I didn’t approve plots. Editors did. I can think of no reason that plot would have been passed before me. I don’t remember participating in a plotting session. David Michelinie lived far away and seldom came to the office. He and Bob Layton plotted books together mostly over the phone, then Dave wrote them up and presented them to the editor. I don’t know to what extent George Pérez was involved. George often added bits and scenes, or made small changes to stories he was drawing, so possibly that is why he was given a plot credit. Usually writers didn’t mind George’s modifications because they were generally pretty good.

Generally, the first time I saw a book was when the finished pages were given to me to sign off on before they were sent to Chemical Color, the separators. There were exceptions, of course, books with which I was more involved. I don’t think this was one of them. But, possibly I made some suggestions that garnered me a “co-plotter” credit, and if so, what was I thinking?

And, I guess I signed off on this book.

I regret it.

But, in those days, in any case, the buck stopped at my desk. I take full responsibility. I screwed up. My judgment failed, or maybe I wasn’t paying enough attention. Sorry. Avengers #200 is a travesty.

Maybe outstanding editor and outstanding human being Jim Salicrup, who has occasionally honored this blog with his memories can lend some information about Avengers #200. If he says I participated, believe him. I don’t know.

A note: At the time, as I recall, David Michelinie and Chris Claremont were feuding, so that may have had something to do with this story. Ask Chris. Or Dave. Preferably both. Or Jim Salicrup.

Again, mea culpa. Sorry.

It being part of a Bullpen slap fight would make sense.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

He does accept any and all blame one wishes to give for it, though:

It being part of a Bullpen slap fight would make sense.

In that quote he blames everyone else and says he doesn't remember having any part of it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pat Mustard posted:

In that quote he blames everyone else and says he doesn't remember having any part of it.

He also says he takes full responsibility and he screwed up. That several decades after the fact Shooter does not recall the precise origins of a single comic should not shock somebody.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 16, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's kind of a half-apology where he goes "I don't know how my name got on it, I don't remember doing it, it had to have been one of these guys" in regards to his credit as co-plotter but does eventually loop back to "but in the end I suppose I really should've seen it and stopped it, sorry" in his role as EiC.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

He flat out takes "full responsibility" and says "sorry" twice. That's all the apology I've ever needed from anyone.