Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

indigi posted:

e: re: ROS - how are you gonna set up and even show the cloning tanks and poo poo and not pay that off? have a clone Snoke pop out to fight Rey and Ren, or a bunch of clone Palpatines or something. hell even a cloned Vader could have been interesting

MYSTERY

BOX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

what was the one where she put the ship in hyper space drive and flew thru some things

tlj and i love laura dern for many reasons but that scene is not the least reason

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that scene didnt work in any way. as a story element it doesnt work because nobody cares about holdo and as an in universe mechanic it breaks everything because if hyper jumping into your enemy is an option that would be the only way space battles are fought. a bunch of lead blocks with hyperdrives attached trying to jump into each other.

its the same reason they dont beam nukes in star track.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Trabisnikof posted:

didn’t they say in season 1 that no humans knew what Arnold looked because he’d had his history wiped and everyone assumed he killed himself before the corp took over

not that I recall. they were already most of the way to having a functional park before Arnold bought it, there's no way Ford could have completely wiped him from history that would have to come to light when the corporation was reviewing things to buy the company. also they literally couldn't have been the only two employees, someone must have been around to recognize him

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It really sucks Westworld went down the tubes because season 1 was a good and relatively self-contained story.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

indigi posted:

not that I recall. they were already most of the way to having a functional park before Arnold bought it, there's no way Ford could have completely wiped him from history that would have to come to light when the corporation was reviewing things to buy the company. also they literally couldn't have been the only two employees, someone must have been around to recognize him

theres so many other dumb things in that show, like how the mechanics of the robots change to the point of totally incongruity to suit the scene.

Like you can have some hand wavy scifi poo poo, thats fine, but it has to be consistent especially if you are using it for fundamental plot elements.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shaggar posted:

that scene didnt work in any way. as a story element it doesnt work because nobody cares about holdo and as an in universe mechanic it breaks everything because if hyper jumping into your enemy is an option that would be the only way space battles are fought. a bunch of lead blocks with hyperdrives attached trying to jump into each other.

Well you could sort of rationalise it by saying that maybe hyperdrives are v. Expensive and can only be a certain minimum size but actually even then it'd be cheaper to kamikaze a ship with a fighter so yeah nevermind

i actually can't remember what the hell happened in that film apart from that bit and space leia

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Well you could sort of rationalise it by saying that maybe hyperdrives are v. Expensive and can only be a certain minimum size but actually even then it'd be cheaper to kamikaze a ship with a fighter so yeah nevermind

yeah an X-wing has a hyperdrive and apparently the rebel alliance can afford a bunch of those and if you can fire it at relativistic velocity clean through a shielded star destroyer uhhh.

you wouldn't even need to kamikaze, the astromech droid can handle it (droids don't have rights in star wars)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

but yeah the things you have to ignore in star wars to avoid breaking the world can't hold a candle to star trek. essentially every single problem in every series can be solved by judicious application of the transporter and the holodeck

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh the borg have boarded the ship again? set the holographic emitters to redirect the corridor they're in out an airlock, then disable the force fields. yawn

what? they can survive in space? okay beam their heads 200 meters off the stern

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

it was a badass scene and that’s all that matters

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
why would they bother assaulting the death star with a fleet of small fighters, losing many fighters and skilled pilots in the process, when they could have accomplished the same thing at the cost of one small ship and one obsolete piloting droid

why would you build a death star in the first place instead of just a hyperdrive factory where you build drives and install them on asteroids

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

oh the borg have boarded the ship again? set the holographic emitters to redirect the corridor they're in out an airlock, then disable the force fields. yawn

what? they can survive in space? okay beam their heads 200 meters off the stern

don't forget in Discovery you can just magic mushroom kingdom yourself around the place to solve problems as well!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

yeah an X-wing has a hyperdrive and apparently the rebel alliance can afford a bunch of those and if you can fire it at relativistic velocity clean through a shielded star destroyer uhhh.

you wouldn't even need to kamikaze, the astromech droid can handle it (droids don't have rights in star wars)
considering the original basis for xwing/tie fighter battles it would be lol as hell if they had xwings do the kamikaze lol. none of this a-wing magic bullet horse poo poo tho

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i think imperial fighters don’t have hyperdrives but yeah everything larger than that seems to so they’re pretty clearly not that expensive

i guess there might be an argument that a rock with a hyperdrive just wouldn’t cause that much damage but i think actually it probably would do a lot???

starting to think that movie producers start with an idea of the visuals they want rather than painstakingly thinking through the consequences of the technology they portray on-screen

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the entire idea of space fighting makes no sense if you think about it too hard

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qirex posted:

the entire idea of space fighting makes no sense if you think about it too hard
and yet the tie fighter game was goat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jabor posted:

why would they bother assaulting the death star with a fleet of small fighters, losing many fighters and skilled pilots in the process, when they could have accomplished the same thing at the cost of one small ship and one obsolete piloting droid

why would you build a death star in the first place instead of just a hyperdrive factory where you build drives and install them on asteroids

if the proton torpedoes are unguided rockets and it takes extreme skill to fire them precisely into the thermal exhaust port, why does the human do it at all when right behind the cockpit they have a droid built expressly for computing trajectories interfaced directly into the fighter's systems

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rjmccall posted:

i think imperial fighters don’t have hyperdrives but yeah everything larger than that seems to so they’re pretty clearly not that expensive

i guess there might be an argument that a rock with a hyperdrive just wouldn’t cause that much damage but i think actually it probably would do a lot???

tie fighters canonically are built so cheap they don't even have pressurized cockpits. all the rebel fighters have hyperdrives though and the A-wing is only about the size of an SUV.

even a let's say 500-pound hyperdrive by itself, no additional mass, traveling at light speed is going to carry unbelievable amounts of energy (infinite in fact, lol) and that's before accounting for any effects from a hyperspace incursion into real space or whatever

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

if the proton torpedoes are unguided rockets and it takes extreme skill to fire them precisely into the thermal exhaust port, why does the human do it at all when right behind the cockpit they have a droid built expressly for computing trajectories interfaced directly into the fighter's systems

i mean if it were on a planet you could argue that there would be all sorts of chaotic complicating factors that the droid might not be equipped to predict. but it’s in space so

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
you can write around it by saying hyperdrives emit a field where if another drive gets too close to it the smaller one will automatically phase into hyperspace. but then Rian Johnson couldn’t have his (admittedly awesome) scene

e: this still doesn’t explain why you’d need a Death Star rather than just ramming an asteroid into a planet at hyperspeed but whatever. something something gravity wells

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

even a let's say 500-pound hyperdrive by itself, no additional mass, traveling at light speed is going to carry unbelievable amounts of energy (infinite in fact, lol) and that's before accounting for any effects from a hyperspace incursion into real space or whatever

only the second half applies. we don’t know what hyperspace is but it clearly doesn’t obey the physics as we understand them of accelerating something to the speed of light and beyond

but even if something coming out of hyperspace is merely going very fast while trying to occupying the same general location as another thing that’s obviously going to gently caress poo poo up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i always got the sense that the bottleneck was computational, like it'd be really difficult to find a firing solution for anything smaller than the largest capital ships or something

quote:

Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

also maybe relative mass in hyperspace is also an issue. they had to build the death start to explode a planet, presumably navigational errors at relativistic speeds aren't exploding planets and moons all over the place

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

tie fighters canonically are built so cheap they don't even have pressurized cockpits. all the rebel fighters have hyperdrives though and the A-wing is only about the size of an SUV.

you could just get Leia to accelerate herself through space from a sufficient distance and impact as a 65kg corpsicle at near light speed.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

off all complaints about tlj an untrained force sensitive using jedi powers under stress in a cold environment is just luke pulling the lightsaber in esb

a little vacuum for a few seconds isnt gonna kill you even in our universe; a space you can hear sounds in is probably softer

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

westworld is pretty but dumb, just like me

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

ww got that game of thrones twist disease; there was a pretty good article on it a while ago

what if madlibs

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/GalaxyBrainBot/status/1297964566932946944

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

so you know heroes was a trash fire? turns out it was even more so

https://variety.com/2020/tv/features/heroes-leonard-roberts-ali-larter-1234854439/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

off all complaints about tlj an untrained force sensitive using jedi powers under stress in a cold environment is just luke pulling the lightsaber in esb

a little vacuum for a few seconds isnt gonna kill you even in our universe; a space you can hear sounds in is probably softer

i think the bigger complaints about that scene were both how goofy it looked and how pointless it was, other than to temporarily replace her with holdo because corporate decided leia cant die until the last movie.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

theres so many other dumb things in that show, like how the mechanics of the robots change to the point of totally incongruity to suit the scene.

Like you can have some hand wavy scifi poo poo, thats fine, but it has to be consistent especially if you are using it for fundamental plot elements.

that drove me up the wall in season 1. like, dr. who and star trek can do that poo poo because no one cares and they're essentially all one off stories anyway (modern trek aside). but if you're telling a very serious story about robuts and consciousness and whatever, try to make the robots work the same from one minute to the next or it's hard to care about whatever stakes you're setting up for them

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also maybe relative mass in hyperspace is also an issue. they had to build the death start to explode a planet, presumably navigational errors at relativistic speeds aren't exploding planets and moons all over the place

this was always my understanding - big gravity wells mess up hyperdrives, which is why e.g. the transports needed to take off and fly away from Hoth before entering hyperspace. it makes sense that they're affected by gravity wells because whenever you drop out of hyperspace, you've approximately matched speed with whatever the most massive object in the vicinity is.

also if you accept the expanded universe take that making the kessel run in the shortest possible distance is an awe-inspiring feat that really happened (instead of just a seasoned spacer bamboozling a naive farm boy), cutting your corners as close as possible to a bunch of black holes without actually dropping out into one is a pretty daring thing to do.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jabor posted:

this was always my understanding - big gravity wells mess up hyperdrives, which is why e.g. the transports needed to take off and fly away from Hoth before entering hyperspace. it makes sense that they're affected by gravity wells because whenever you drop out of hyperspace, you've approximately matched speed with whatever the most massive object in the vicinity is.

also if you accept the expanded universe take that making the kessel run in the shortest possible distance is an awe-inspiring feat that really happened (instead of just a seasoned spacer bamboozling a naive farm boy), cutting your corners as close as possible to a bunch of black holes without actually dropping out into one is a pretty daring thing to do.

this is all EU excuses and has no foundation in the films

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jabor posted:

actually thanks to the solo movie the kessel run is now canonically difficult because there's a big space monster in there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hi all you nerds bitchign about hyperdrive flaws in ep8:

at the core of every hyperdrive is 1 (one) human soul. it requires it to work. this is not in the books but once you learn that, it all makes sense.

namaste~

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

maybe the real hyperdrive was inside us all along

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Alastair Reynolds' conjoiner drives have their calcs done by brains in jars (sort of) and the Prador in Neal Asher's polity novels use frozen brains from their numerous and horrible offspring to run u-space calcs including as kamikazes, so the idea that you need some embedded brain to do ftl a common one

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I mean wasnt that sort of the thing with dune navigators too? i dont know much about that universe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
computers were banned in the duniverse, on account of they did the sensible thing way back when and tried to kill everyone for enslaving them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i know the navigators were so hosed up on spice that they were mutated super humans, but idk if it was just that it gave them the ability to do the calculations or if they actually had the ability to fold space.