Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

I bought a video card a few months ago and it showed up on the porch with no additional box, just a huge nvidia logo hanging out there for anyone to see. It wasn't even taped shut and had no shrink wrap.

Plague has made carriers more careless and apparently think thieves are too scared to steal.

It's not really relevant but that's not the carriers. Retailers didn't anticipate this demand and are just haphazardly sending poo poo in the mail without proper packaging. They are using warehouses that weren't designed to ship directly to customers to keep up with demand. The signature releases are the carriers not wanting liability for their employees getting sick from customer contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DangerZoneDelux posted:

all phones and watches from Apple ping a signature required

In Canada at least nobody is doing signature on delivery to reduce contact, so my watch was delivered a few weeks ago without any signature requirement. (If there’s a signature requirement they make you pick it up at a depot.)

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Subjunctive posted:

In Canada at least nobody is doing signature on delivery to reduce contact, so my watch was delivered a few weeks ago without any signature requirement. (If there’s a signature requirement they make you pick it up at a depot.)

I had a M1 MBA delivered yesterday and when I opened the door, the Fedex guy was like "Although I need a signature, but how about I just sign your name for you"

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

mik posted:

I had a M1 MBA delivered yesterday and when I opened the door, the Fedex guy was like "Although I need a signature, but how about I just sign your name for you"

Yeah that's procedure.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple Fitness+ is launching on Monday
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/12/apple-fitness-plus-the-future-of-fitness-launches-december-14/

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’ll probably try out the yoga since I get it from the Apple one sub. I do peloton yoga on off bike days however if it provides more variety then I’m down.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any decent watch/iOS app for tracking weight workouts?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I never quite got the hang of it/stopped lifting but people love Strong

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zwille posted:

I never quite got the hang of it/stopped lifting but people love Strong

Thanks, I'll check this one!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah Strong gets my recommendation. Even if I haven't lifted since COVID started.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

101 posted:

Yeah Strong gets my recommendation. Even if I haven't lifted since COVID started.
:emptyquote:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I used Jefit for years, but then switched to Strong. It's just so much more polished. Jefit worked, but the UI was a bit janky.

Un-related question: Are there any good knockoff solo bands available on Amazon yet?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How did I start the day by doing Christmas shopping for family and end up with a S6 for myself? I haven't worn a watch in many years but everything around me is Apple and I'm hoping the constant nudging about health will be a good thing as I slip out of good behaviour so easily and take forever to correct. Some people in COVID managed to improve themselves, I however did not. Hoping the 40mm option suits me, I don't like big things on my wrist so we shall see. Best Buy threw in a gross looking spare strap and 6 months of Apple Fitness so hey, with tax is was under $400 so not the end of the world money wise.

Also kudos for keeping the OP up to date and covering new models rather than ones from years ago, the only thing that looked dated is the watch sizes talk about the old 38/42mm models not 40/44mm, which I'm sure is super minor.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Strong is great! Some issues currently with AW syncing but they are aware of it and working towards a complete overhaul.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yeah that's procedure.

Fun Fact: It's actually completely legal to sign a legal document on the behalf of someone else as long as you have the explicate permission to do so. It can get dicey if you are worried that the person you are signing for is going to contest that you gave them permission which is why it was rarely done pre-COVID, but it was always OK.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
Does the stock price complication work for anyone? All I get is ----, loading it up never refreshes it.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

PatrickBateman posted:

Does the stock price complication work for anyone? All I get is ----, loading it up never refreshes it.

Ye its fine on both builds 18R590 (final) and 18S563 the one coming Monday ~

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Mine comes and goes. Most days it works without issue, especially if I have went into the app on my phone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So now my watch won't connect to cellular after the 7.2 update. Lovely.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Seems like the handwashing detection has gotten worse too, it'll bitch me out for short-washing while I'm still washing my drat hands. Gonna just turn it off I think.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

priznat posted:

Seems like the handwashing detection has gotten worse too, it'll bitch me out for short-washing while I'm still washing my drat hands. Gonna just turn it off I think.

Yeah I turned mine off after the last most recent update

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Had to un-pair and re-pair before it worked again. Lame.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Not sure where the best place to put this is but Best Buy is offering 2 free months of Apple Fitness+ for new subscribers, no purchase necessary.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/free-apple-fitness-for-2-months-new-subscribers-only/6437700.p

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They’re being pretty slow about the codes though, I’m due a 6 month from them for buying a watch last week and silence. Don’t think anyone’s got them yet.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Tried one of the Apple fitness yoga classes and it was p good. However I don’t know the difficulty of what I’m about to take. Peloton yoga is more customizable; however, Apple yoga is a lot more inviting to the casual than peloton yoga which I like. Music is better too. I’ll probably take both since I like variety.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Re hand washing; mine keeps asking me if I’m washing them when I’m doing Laundry, or putting clothes on... and the other day when cooking up some scrambled eggs lol NO SIRI PLZ ... though. I think i can ᵖʳᵒᵇᵃᵇˡʸ just count around 20 s now ; tim has trained me to keep it clean

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

sonatinas posted:

Tried one of the Apple fitness yoga classes and it was p good. However I don’t know the difficulty of what I’m about to take. Peloton yoga is more customizable; however, Apple yoga is a lot more inviting to the casual than peloton yoga which I like. Music is better too. I’ll probably take both since I like variety.

I tried one of the running workouts and the dude hosting it had all the personality of a bag of sawdust. But yeah on the other hand, the music was better, which definitely is a big sticking point with Peloton anyway.

I'll probably stick with Peloton, I like the instructors who really get animated and swear a lot, and I'm feeling like that's not gonna be Apple's sort of jam.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

I tried one of the running workouts and the dude hosting it had all the personality of a bag of sawdust. But yeah on the other hand, the music was better, which definitely is a big sticking point with Peloton anyway.

I'll probably stick with Peloton, I like the instructors who really get animated and swear a lot, and I'm feeling like that's not gonna be Apple's sort of jam.

Yeah I’m not selling my bike for sure. Right now Apple fitness just complements.

I’m still irritated that Apple won’t change the vo2 max calc for stationary workouts even with their cardiac warnings. I’ll take a walk and it’s low but then I calculate mine from a bike workout and it’s high.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
If I ask Siri to start a bicycle workout it still sometimes starts with a one-two-three sound then begins recording or it maddeningly says it’s starting, doesn’t do the one-two-three and waits until you lift the watch up before recording. What the gently caress.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is there any plan to allow Spotify to play playlists offline on the Apple Watch? I think you can do this with Apple Music but I don't subscribe to them.

I currently have a Garmin watch for running and would like to be able to download spotify playlists and listen to them while running without carrying my phone around.

Any way to do this without buying a cellular version of the Apple Watch? Or am I forced to use Apple Music?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

nwin posted:

Is there any plan to allow Spotify to play playlists offline on the Apple Watch? I think you can do this with Apple Music but I don't subscribe to them.

I currently have a Garmin watch for running and would like to be able to download spotify playlists and listen to them while running without carrying my phone around.

Any way to do this without buying a cellular version of the Apple Watch? Or am I forced to use Apple Music?

The straight answer is no. Only Apple Music has offline playback. With that said, I've had spotify long enough via cellular to make some educated guesses at a potential way around that. Something i've noticed is if your cell connection is poo poo it will cycle the songs in your playlist it has already played (cached).

So i'd be curious if you let an entire playlist cache on your apple watch (aka play it from start to finish), if it would cache it and essentially give you a backdoor into offline playback since you wouldn't have a data connection and it would default to the songs it already knows. I just haven't bothered trying it out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My phone wouldn't talk to my watch after updating to iOS 14.3. Watch still thought it was connected to the phone (green icon in the widget screen) but any attempt on the phone to update or adjust settings gives a spinning icon until it timed out until the phone said my watch couldn't found.

Finally cured itself after rebooting both devices. Not one, then the other. They both had to be shut off at the same time then booted. This took like three tries to figure out.

:downs:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone in here use an apple watch normally for running and link to Strava for uploading your runs?

How difficult is it? There was a dcrainmaker review of an Apple Watch 4 where he had to download a separate app so he could upload to Strava, which seems like a pain.

Right now with my garmin I have the two accounts linked so it shows in my Strava feed like two seconds after it uploads to garmin.

I’m currently between the garmin venu and the Apple Watch SE. I don’t like the battery life of the apple and it can’t do Spotify offline. The garmin is better in both regards but it’d be kinda nice to have a watch that works seamlessly with my iPhone. My current garmin randomly disconnects from my phone so I don’t get all the notifications and responding to texts doesn’t happen.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

nwin posted:

Anyone in here use an apple watch normally for running and link to Strava for uploading your runs?

How difficult is it? There was a dcrainmaker review of an Apple Watch 4 where he had to download a separate app so he could upload to Strava, which seems like a pain.

Right now with my garmin I have the two accounts linked so it shows in my Strava feed like two seconds after it uploads to garmin.

I’m currently between the garmin venu and the Apple Watch SE. I don’t like the battery life of the apple and it can’t do Spotify offline. The garmin is better in both regards but it’d be kinda nice to have a watch that works seamlessly with my iPhone. My current garmin randomly disconnects from my phone so I don’t get all the notifications and responding to texts doesn’t happen.

I do.

Download the Health Fit app. It can automatically upload your runs to Strava in the background. It works pretty well. You can export to a million other services as well.

I do think Strava can find the runs, but you have to go a few menus deep and manually trigger the upload IIRC. It was a pain in the rear end last time I tried it.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

nwin posted:

I’m really far from being a Strava power user so take this with the appropriate grain of salt, but what I’ve been doing for a while now is running without my phone and with my GPS-only S3 and recording with an “Outdoor Run” in the native Workouts/Fitness app. Then in Strava you can go to the notification bell icon in the top right, click the “Your Apple workout is ready to import” notification, and tap “Import” next to the workout in question.

Been working pretty for me. It’s not automatic and it doesn’t seem to give a push notification to remind you to do it, but you have 30 days to import a workout and it takes all of 20 seconds to do so it was pretty easy to get in the habit of going through the motions after a run.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

fourwood posted:

I’m really far from being a Strava power user so take this with the appropriate grain of salt, but what I’ve been doing for a while now is running without my phone and with my GPS-only S3 and recording with an “Outdoor Run” in the native Workouts/Fitness app. Then in Strava you can go to the notification bell icon in the top right, click the “Your Apple workout is ready to import” notification, and tap “Import” next to the workout in question.

Been working pretty for me. It’s not automatic and it doesn’t seem to give a push notification to remind you to do it, but you have 30 days to import a workout and it takes all of 20 seconds to do so it was pretty easy to get in the habit of going through the motions after a run.

Yeah, just record in apples app, then import to strava. It's easy to do, just have to remember to hit that import button when it reminds you/after a run.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

HealthFit is really good for auto syncing, and it also is just really good at displaying the data, showing more metrics than the actual Fitness app. I think it was a few bucks but its a quality app.

In theory it seems like you could record in the Strava watch app but I don’t think it gets heart rate data.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

smackfu posted:

In theory it seems like you could record in the Strava watch app but I don’t think it gets heart rate data.

It does, but I like the apple app a little better during the actual run. There's no functional difference after the fact between using one or the other afaik, beyond having to hit the import button.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
How the hell am I supposed to fitness plus if i can't cast the workout from my phone to my tv? I guess i'm not engrained in the ecosystem enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Veskit posted:

How the hell am I supposed to fitness plus if i can't cast the workout from my phone to my tv? I guess i'm not engrained in the ecosystem enough.

Makes you wonder if an Apple TV is a good buy today, or better to wait for a refresh? Is a refresh even necessary, though? There are certainly improvements that could be made to the UI and remote. Or, Apple could just stop beating around the bush and make an actual Apple TV in the next couple of years.

Still, it's an expensive addon when just about every TV these days is comparably smart-capable out of the box (granted you don't mind plugging your passwords and wifi access into your TV.)

enojy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 17, 2020