Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

I think CanAms with knobbies would be more appropriate. Makes a stable platform for a mortar or some such, too!

The US military is dumb enough (or can be lobbied) to buy unreliable pieces of poo poo to serve as field vehicles - we'd just buy 10x the number that's actually needed - but I'm not sure our friends up north are that stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I assure you, we are. It's an old joke now but for a while, West Edmonton Mall had more functioning submarines than our navy.

Phy fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 9, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Martytoof posted:

This but a camo gixxer with a stretched swingarm for the Canadian forces in 2020+

The awful relish-green of CADPAT is more appropriate for a Ninja.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jazzzzz posted:

The US military is dumb enough (or can be lobbied) to buy unreliable pieces of poo poo to serve as field vehicles - we'd just buy 10x the number that's actually needed - but I'm not sure our friends up north are that stupid.

Definitely check out the mihist or airpower threads sometime, Canadian military recruitment is famously a contender for world's worst.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:sun:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

https://taylorrentalvestal.com/catalog/product/252406/175-000-btu-salamander-heater

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Posted in the Harley thread as well, but here's mine:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mewse
May 2, 2006

SirLeigh posted:

Posted in the Harley thread as well, but here's mine:

That's a sick bike. I'd probably put on shorter bars and a flatter seat but I really like the murdered out matte black.

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

mewse posted:

That's a sick bike. I'd probably put on shorter bars and a flatter seat but I really like the murdered out matte black.

Thanks! -- I actually had a flatter seat, but I kept sliding back any time I'd hit the throttle, and this works well that my wife can hop on for short trips to grab lunch, or whatever.

The bars I had shorter for a while but ended up going this route because they're better suited for my height, and give me a bit more control over the bike.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
yeah that looks really nice

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I guess this is the one they're gonna use for the next obi wan kenobi bike show?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just in case you thought winterizing your bike was a pain in the rear end, try living on a boat during a wisconsin winter.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
shoulda got a submarine

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I bet that's deafening to be inside during a winter storm.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just in case you thought winterizing your bike was a pain in the rear end, try living on a boat during a wisconsin winter.

In the spring, it will emerge from its cocoon a beautiful aeroplane.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man and here I thought parking my bike in MY garage was tight...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjvVF_ZGhrg

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The PC800 is definitely a dream bike I'll probably never own. Interesting that he compares it to the NM4, another dream bike that nobody likes.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Funny that F9 shows off the pivoting brake caliper and a few hours later Slavvy shares the cafe racer version in the echo chamber :hmmyes:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

Funny that F9 shows off the pivoting brake caliper and a few hours later Slavvy shares the cafe racer version in the echo chamber :hmmyes:

Spoooky cause I did forks on a mummified interceptor today and they had //TRAC\\ and it still worked perfectly after the black tar was replaced with oil.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Coydog posted:

The PC800 is definitely a dream bike I'll probably never own. Interesting that he compares it to the NM4, another dream bike that nobody likes.

It'd be an almost perfect UK commuter bike, but at the same time it's kinda pudgy looking and I don't know if I'd really want to daily one anymore. Same concept in a sharper looking package would be rad though.

As for why it (and the DN1, and NM4) never caught on when the cub did, it seems obvious enough: a bike that appeals to car drivers... is a scooter. But these three refuse to go all the way, and insist on having full frames you have to straddle rather than step into. It's just a little too cumbersome for someone who hasn't already decided they're happy to deal with the various little nuisances of bikes just for the sake of having a bike.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

surprisingly better than the hoboats in portland lol

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Renaissance Robot posted:

It'd be an almost perfect UK commuter bike, but at the same time it's kinda pudgy looking and I don't know if I'd really want to daily one anymore. Same concept in a sharper looking package would be rad though.

As for why it (and the DN1, and NM4) never caught on when the cub did, it seems obvious enough: a bike that appeals to car drivers... is a scooter. But these three refuse to go all the way, and insist on having full frames you have to straddle rather than step into. It's just a little too cumbersome for someone who hasn't already decided they're happy to deal with the various little nuisances of bikes just for the sake of having a bike.

In spite of the year it was released, the PC800 has that "molten metal draped over the vehicle" look that a lot of nice 90s cars had. Thinking about the eclipse here. It's pudgy, but in a graceful way. I love it. The fact that the pudge covers a full on trunk and everything else completely excuses it.

I agree, the NM4 has the maxi scooter look that I like but without some of the benefits. It's still really neat. I am biased, because I've loved maxi scooters since I saw a helix at age 6. They are hard to find but I'd love a tmax for commuting and errands.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right arm posted:

surprisingly better than the hoboats in portland lol

Oh we have those here too. Mostly either young rich stoner kids living in “international waters” avoiding the police, Jimmy Buffet cosplayers or rich dudes crashing on the bed in their boat because their wife kicked them out.

Occasionally you get the true boat lifers like this one that is the end result of saying “gently caress it” and selling all your non-boat possessions.

It helps that in the Great Lakes you can get basically anywhere next to water on the entire eastern half of the US up to and including the Atlantic Ocean.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh we have those here too. Mostly either young rich stoner kids living in “international waters” avoiding the police, Jimmy Buffet cosplayers or rich dudes crashing on the bed in their boat because their wife kicked them out.

Occasionally you get the true boat lifers like this one that is the end result of saying “gently caress it” and selling all your non-boat possessions.

It helps that in the Great Lakes you can get basically anywhere next to water on the entire eastern half of the US up to and including the Atlantic Ocean.

dumb question, but how do you heat a boat in the winter time? not at all? or maybe some generator on the pier, I dunno

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They work like RV’s. There is an umbilical that runs to the dock to charge the batteries and keep the boat from having to start its engines to charge the batteries

I’m not sure how you pay for dock power, I dunno if you pay per KW or it’s a rental/subscription thing or what.

I’d imagine it’s fairly janky (and dangerous) space heater setups in there because boats have no HVAC until you get to mega-yacht territory

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I love love love those flashy neon late 80s early 90s bikes. Here are a few i found on the streets

by the way, do you really have to scale pics down to 800px wide? Imgur doesn't automatically generate those smaller size pics anymore since a few years ago, but i don't wanna do it suuuper small thumbnail like either. Any upload places that can scale automatically?

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 14, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

LimaBiker posted:

by the way, do you really have to scale pics down to 800px wide? Imgur doesn't automatically generate those smaller size pics anymore since a few years ago, but i don't wanna do it suuuper small thumbnail like either. Any upload places that can scale automatically?

append "l" (lowercase L) to the end of the picture code for large.

or "h" for huge

or "s" for small but that's usually too small for desktops

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
PC800 and friends like the Impulse and the Probe seem to me like evidence that ST:TNG was leading the culture outside of the show... at least for people with engineering degrees and employed as designers

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Did the 7R come with a purple screen from the factory or did literally every single owner fit one? Still my all-time favourite 90s bike not designed by Tamburini either way.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I saw a pic of the ZX7R in black the other day and it just completely neuters the look of the bike.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah early stage Kawasaki Z is green/white/purple or go home.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Greg12 posted:

PC800 and friends like the Impulse and the Probe seem to me like evidence that ST:TNG was leading the culture outside of the show... at least for people with engineering degrees and employed as designers

You're probably right but it's worth mentioning that the idea of 'bike built like a car to appeal to car people by hiding all the scary stuff' is about a hundred years old, someone has a go at it every decade like clockwork, and the bikes are always a. miserable bikes and b. a sales disaster.

They are all philosophically faulty because they're built on the extremely faulty assumption that you can entice people from cars onto bikes by making the bikes more like a car, but all it achieves is sucking all the fun parts out, leaving Joe car driver wondering what the appeal was meant to be in the first place. They are made for people who don't exist and continue to not exist outside of a venn diagram in a boardroom.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

You're probably right but it's worth mentioning that the idea of 'bike built like a car to appeal to car people by hiding all the scary stuff' is about a hundred years old, someone has a go at it every decade like clockwork, and the bikes are always a. miserable bikes and b. a sales disaster.
I believe I know what was the very first one of those, and I wouldn't say it's miserable to ride, but it is slow as balls and has a frame as stiff as a cookie sheet. I rode one across [most of] the country a couple years ago. It's called a Ner-a-car and it was indeed a sales disaster.

Also the Pacific Coast is a bad bike, I'm sorry.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Gonzo the bike

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Renaissance Robot posted:

Honda did end up with a bike that’s quietly successful in Europe as a commuter, granted it’s primarily aimed at people who already ride motorcycles, the nc750x. I suspect because it’s a bit cheaper.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Slavvy posted:

the bikes are always a. miserable bikes and b. a sales disaster.

I would enjoy a BMW C1 Roof Scootie.

If German FederalHighwaySafetyRegulationsOffice (bundesautoverkehrssicherheitsregelnamt) accepted the roof as providing head protection adequate to replace a helmet, who am I to disagree?

[breathes the fresh air from a vw diesel's exhaust]

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 16, 2020

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Soon it will be the most wonderful time of the year. Only 20 more days to wait and I'm starting to see things for it so you're going to start too. Just so you have plenty of time to get in the mood.

Baja Hail is like a warmup. Not many of the fast bike folks are in it. Except Adrien van Beveren.
https://fb.watch/2qr1wy30YY/

"Who's AVB, I need a refresher" you say?

Not to be confused with fellow french rider and factory yamaha teammate, xavier de soultrait.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIBlXvJK9yi/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Who also loves wheelies when the helicopter comes around.

But remember, this isn't just about bikes. There is also that most noble of vehicles. The truck.

loving kamaz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NP41lLs9ZQ&t=190s

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why are the French riders in any given bike racing category always such charismatic badasses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

BC, I love your dedication to reminding everyone when it's Dakar time (even in your secret santa, haha). Is there a good place online to watch recaps this year?