Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Does anyone play Grey Hack at all?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/605230/Grey_Hack/

It's an online multiplayer hacking game with a simulated os.

built in exploit store

or if you'd rather make your own you can.

Has built in guild chat rooms.

Roadmap available here. I know some in here have had fun with some of the other hacking games, but haven't heard much about this one.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/605230/discussions/1/2561864094342538308/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

what is it with this loving series and boats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQ_ZozZIio

The comedic timing and music choice for this still makes me crack up. It's perfect. They should teach this one in film school.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

If I had to serious post guess for a second, tracking their positions when loading between areas or scenes is probably pretty hard!

Alternatively, it's really goddamn funny and that's fine by me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HopperUK posted:

theHunter: Call of the Wild just added a reserve based on New Zealand's south island. So if you wanted to wander around Middle Earth and hunt feral goats - and who doesn't! - this is your chance. It's 4.19 in UK money so probably six bucks or so.

oh it's gorgeous down there. might pick it up.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

What's the deal with Kingdom Come: Deliverance? It has that thing where all of the reviews are either excessively positive or exceedingly negative, without much wiggle room. Is it just one of those things where, like, if you're down for eurojank exploration it's rad, but if you go in expecting indie Skyrim you're setting yourself up to get disappointed?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

What's the deal with Kingdom Come: Deliverance? It has that thing where all of the reviews are either excessively positive or exceedingly negative, without much wiggle room. Is it just one of those things where, like, if you're down for eurojank exploration it's rad, but if you go in expecting indie Skyrim you're setting yourself up to get disappointed?

Yes to both and also one of the primary development leads is a white supremacist.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Orv posted:

Yes to both and also one of the primary development leads is a white supremacist.

Wooow so that's a hard pass for my sale wishlist then... thanks for the heads-up. :)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Orv posted:

Yeah, this is the biggest issue. The game itself is really great. Cyberpunk's been getting a lot of comparisons to eurojank, but Kingdom Come far exceeds it in that regard.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Cyberpunk has absolute poo poo tons of floating cigarettes, floating guns, NPCs holding a phantom gun, NPCs holding a phantom gun while a different real gun floats besides them, and so on. I saw a fair amount of NPCs t-posing in various situations. A lot of objects in the world that indicate they can be picked up cannot be picked up. A lot of objects in the world that can be picked up, do not have indicators they can be picked up. The range at which those indicators appear varies greatly. NPCs sometimes walk down stairs and then their head spontaneously explodes. This also happens semi-frequently when you drop a body on the ground. Any NPC you can talk to with a dialogue selection menu has a rather large radius where their dialogue menu activates, meaning you can no longer pick up or interact with other objects around that NPC.

That's a whole bunch of "ignorable" bugs immediately off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch more. This is on a high-end PC, if that matters.

I still fuckin loved the game and couldn't put it down. :shrug:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i was in a super emotional scene and one dude had to take a chip out of his head, but it turned into a gun, so he had a huge gun sticking out the side of his head, which he then pulled out and gave to me.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

queeb posted:

i was in a super emotional scene and one dude had to take a chip out of his head, but it turned into a gun, so he had a huge gun sticking out the side of his head, which he then pulled out and gave to me.

No that's whats supposed to happen in that scene.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Orv posted:

And has some real weird ideas about women. You can get a bonus to charisma or whatever when talking to women, by being dirty enough you get stealth penalties.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Gamers got furiously angry over any criticism by insisting it was a faithful historical accurate recreation of the Austrian countryside in the 1300s (i.e no black people or it would break "immersion") and then were perfectly fine with memes and 4th wall references in game.

Also regarding the dev/s; separate the art from the artist etc. but even in game there are still some wildly questionable or dumb things, like a perk that male characters take to smell "manly" that makes women swoon over them (some +% to dialogue or something)

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

https://twitter.com/katietiedrich/status/1338675155409776643?s=20

It's rather boggling, but I believe she's being serious about this. I'm cracking up at the mental image either way.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
got an implant for that

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zereth posted:

And has some real weird ideas about women. You can get a bonus to charisma or whatever when talking to women, by being dirty enough you get stealth penalties.

I see that one come up all the time, but I think it’s pretty funny and a much more interesting perk than simple percentage bonuses and poo poo, it gives you the ability to make smelling like poo poo viable. The race poo poo and some of the writing, sure. But that perk is great.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

J posted:

That's a whole bunch of "ignorable" bugs immediately off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch more. This is on a high-end PC, if that matters.

I still fuckin loved the game and couldn't put it down. :shrug:

I'm investing heavily into quickhacks and that tree is so broken and funny, mostly because a lot of it involves manipulating enemy AI which is broken as hell to begin with. There's a dramatic high level hack that makes your target literally point their gun at their head and commit suicide, and it's super cool and brutal and an instant kill, but it bugged out for me in a fight recently and a guy just put a pistol to his head and shot himself and it did like 500 damage out of his 10k healthbar and he just went back to fighting me. It was kind of disturbing!

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Omi no Kami posted:

To get directly at what other posters have been talking about, the game's director Dan Vavra explicitly staked out his position as pro-gamergate and anti-SJW/progressive, which he conflates. In some of his interviews he still carries a torch from the Cold War and further conflates his online enemies with literal Communism. From what I understand, for Vavra it all comes down to what he perceives as "censorship." He's obsessed with the notion that people are trying to silence him with their criticism and stop him from creating games. He vehemently took a side in the online gaming culture war, gaining both die-hard supporters and detractors. Not that I am saying both sides are morally equal, but that is gets reflected in the polarized reviews.

https://twitter.com/DanielVavra/status/525933062597931008

Vavra also tries to use KC: D's claimed historical accuracy as a shield. There is plenty to be said here, but I'll recommend this RPS article about KC: D vaunted "historical accuracy."

Andreas Inderwildi posted:

Right off the bat, it’s clear that KCD’s main interests are politics, war, and material culture (weapons, architecture, etc). Its claims of historical accuracy are measured almost solely against these interests. The more intangible aspects of life, such as social conduct, creativity, language, religious belief and mentality, aren’t given as much attention. KCD mostly assumes that people behaved, spoke, and reasoned just like we do today: throw in a “God be with you” as the opening line of every dialogue tree, and voila, medieval conversation!

[. . .]

The past is more than an accumulation of facts, and filling a world with period-accurate weaponry, recreations of castles and allusions to historical events doesn’t equate to historical authenticity. KCD sees its own modern biases reflected in a past age because it plants them there, as all historical appraisal or recreation must to an extent. Here, that is taken one step further. KCD sets out to celebrate the past, but ironically distorts its idealised object. The dream of an objective, accurate recreation of the past will always be a fool’s errand, and in pursuing it, Warhorse have created another fantasy game. One without dragons, but a fantasy nonetheless.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I see that one come up all the time, but I think it’s pretty funny and a much more interesting perk than simple percentage bonuses and poo poo, it gives you the ability to make smelling like poo poo viable. The race poo poo and some of the writing, sure. But that perk is great.

I remember reading something (possibly on this very forum, back when the game first came out) about how that dirty-charisma perk was just a troll by the devs and didn't actually do anything in-game. It was all in the character's head, thinking they're hot poo poo when they just smelled like, well, you know.

I thought it was a neat little thing if it's true, which I doubt, since I've never seen anything else corroborating that story.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

goferchan posted:

I'm investing heavily into quickhacks and that tree is so broken and funny, mostly because a lot of it involves manipulating enemy AI which is broken as hell to begin with. There's a dramatic high level hack that makes your target literally point their gun at their head and commit suicide, and it's super cool and brutal and an instant kill, but it bugged out for me in a fight recently and a guy just put a pistol to his head and shot himself and it did like 500 damage out of his 10k healthbar and he just went back to fighting me. It was kind of disturbing!

This is incredibly metal tho

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Omi no Kami posted:

Apart from all the controversial stuff mentioned here, the game does also have a lot of design decisions that can be confusing and frustrating for some people. For example, manual saving can only be accomplished with a limited consumable potion that you need to buy or craft. Another example is that your character's combat skills are absolutely atrocious at the start, which, while appropriate for the story since you are just a peasant, can be difficult to get used to as you will need to do a lot of in-game training not only to grasp how the combat works (which does have a neat For Honor-esque directional attacks to weakpoints and such), but also to have your character build up experience to be effective. Combat can also be an issue as it is built for one-on-ones but you will constantly be forced into you-against-many scenarios. And, as stated, it's a big open-world game, so some slight jank is to be expected. Basically, from what I can tell, it seems to be quite an immersive sim at times with how much work you need to put in and how many things the game tracks (such as hygiene and your outfit being more than just armor points) and how unforgiving the world can be, but that can be way more unforgiving than some might expect.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In retrospect, the devs being super psyched about making a game where there were no black people in it was probably a bad sign for Kingdom Come Deliverance.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

In retrospect, the devs being super psyched about making a game where there were no black people in it was probably a bad sign for Kingdom Come Deliverance.

It's a major red flag, but whenever race comes up on issues of historical accuracy it requires a bit more then a surface look to really read the intent of the author. It's not likely to be someone arguing in good faith, but it's possible. Usually little more then a few minutes looking into it would be enough to suss out either a racist or a genuinely passionate history weirdo.

Anything related to Crusader Kings fans though, yikes. There's a reason for CK3 the devs just flat out said "We're removing deus vult, we don't care about accuracy it's a modern nazi slogan" and the CK messages boards imploding every time the game is updated to allowing something not technically accurate.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

KC:D is also blatantly unfinished and has one of the worst missions I've ever played.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 17, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Missed this but just noticed it now: every single game in your Uplay library has likely had all of their rewards unlocked for free (mine have):

https://gamerant.com/ubisoft-unlock...soft%20Connect.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

tildes posted:

This is incredibly metal tho

Oh yeah I instantly ran the gently caress away from that dude

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ciaphas posted:

Viking helicopter. It's the Isu's fault somehow. It always is.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

mycot posted:

I wasn't even in the C2077 anti-hype camp but what's in the game that's this inspiring :psyduck:

Home Xit Home

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Orv posted:

If I had to serious post guess for a second, tracking their positions when loading between areas or scenes is probably pretty hard!

Alternatively, it's really goddamn funny and that's fine by me.

Boats in Assassin's Creed games essentially work like mobile load screens so weird things tend to happen there.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

Missed this but just noticed it now: every single game in your Uplay library has likely had all of their rewards unlocked for free (mine have):

Yeah, it happened a while back when Ubisoft Connect was instated. The change in collecting points toward discount coupons sounds bad though. No more achievement hunting, but "social events" and "save file transfers?" I'm guessing some exec figured that people were taking advantage with the discounts and this was their genius solution.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

The Joe Man posted:

If they got around to it. AC Odyssey is still in conversion limbo. :sigh:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

queeb posted:

A common skul-gun. How else are you going to defend yourself when some scum we all know pushes smack for NSF gets jumpy and draws. You take 2 .22's, 1 in flesh, 1 in augs, befor you can get out that dam asalt gun. Is it your job to be a human target-practis backstop?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
All I remember about KCD was endless grumbling about historical accuracy with nerds pretending it was going to be Skyrim but HISTORIC and how, the first and only time I watched someone play the game, I happened to catch the guy in the process of crafting a potion that made you see in the dark.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rebel Blob posted:

To get directly at what other posters have been talking about, the game's director Dan Vavra explicitly staked out his position as pro-gamergate and anti-SJW/progressive, which he conflates. In some of his interviews he still carries a torch from the Cold War and further conflates his online enemies with literal Communism. From what I understand, for Vavra it all comes down to what he perceives as "censorship." He's obsessed with the notion that people are trying to silence him with their criticism and stop him from creating games. He vehemently took a side in the online gaming culture war, gaining both die-hard supporters and detractors. Not that I am saying both sides are morally equal, but that is gets reflected in the polarized reviews.

https://twitter.com/DanielVavra/status/525933062597931008

Vavra also tries to use KC: D's claimed historical accuracy as a shield. There is plenty to be said here, but I'll recommend this RPS article about KC: D vaunted "historical accuracy."

Dan Vára has been deranged ever since he finished Mafia; he is utterly convinced that Mafia and M2 are the only good games ever published and has spent the last 15? or so years in a very public downward spiral to alienate and badmouth everyone, to wage a crusade against games that aren't his (e.g. Half-Life was pure garbage because it was less immersive than Mafia and so on) and to see a conspiracy to take the throne of immersive game design away from him behind every criticism. He must be incredibly unpleasant to work with. But the team that designed the non-gameplay elements of Kingdom Come was composed mostly of academics from the Charles University.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 17, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

steinrokkan posted:

But the team that designed the non-gameplay elements of Kingdom Come was composed mostly of academics from the Charles University.
That doesn't necessarily mean much unless we can compare the actual design documents those academics provided to what is actually in the game and to what other academics who aren't Polish nationals would have to say about it. National bias and rose-coloring the past is as real in academics as it is anywhere.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
On a completely different note, can someone recommend me good space 4x?

I'd like it to have at least some sort of UI/Graphics (the nearly purely text based ones don't do it for me).

I also played Stellaris to death while wishing it was so much more. On the other side I kind of bounced right off Endless Space 1 and 2. I like the exploration aspect of Stellaris but found the systems (such as planetary management) too bland.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Distant Worlds Universe is pretty good when you can get it to run.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Crying Suns is a good mix of a rougelite with a pretty compelling story. It doesn't have as much staying power as the other titans in this genre, but I sure had a hard time putting it down after the first run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Blattdorf posted:

Crying Suns is a good mix of a rougelite with a pretty compelling story. It doesn't have as much staying power as the other titans in this genre, but I sure had a hard time putting it down after the first run.

That seems more FTL than 4x?