Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
just ran this with my usual gaming club as a change of pace and it was exactly as fun, cool, and great as it sounds https://ashcangames.itch.io/magicalrepairshop

it's so cozy we took a break midway through to get sweaters and blankets and cups of hot beverages
just some really really nice positive storytelling when we needed that

one-shot friendly, diceless, collaborative GM-less, very much a nice change of pace in general, good apocalypse world DNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

I really appreciate the time and suggestions.

You're welcome!
I would definitely suggest you pop into the relevant threads for whatever you're thinking of going for, and ask things like: could a 10 year old play this (perhaps if I alter the rules a bit) and, is this out of print game dead or still being played, etc. Those goons will be able to advise you better.

EverettLO posted:

Would there be any interest in resurrecting a Palladium thread? I know the old one only got a couple of posts a month but, like Palladium games themselves, I look back on it fondly despite this shortcoming.
:justpost:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Arivia posted:

just ran this with my usual gaming club as a change of pace and it was exactly as fun, cool, and great as it sounds https://ashcangames.itch.io/magicalrepairshop

it's so cozy we took a break midway through to get sweaters and blankets and cups of hot beverages
just some really really nice positive storytelling when we needed that

one-shot friendly, diceless, collaborative GM-less, very much a nice change of pace in general, good apocalypse world DNA

Looks amazing but I have no one to play with and even 5$ is tight now. (No of course I'm going to pay them for their work or nothing ; those free copies are for people who really need them.)

Want though. Much want.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

So asking for a friend, the friend is me but what's the word on linking to an unofficial fan translation of a Japanese tabletop game? I ask because I know the forum's under new management, and I don't wanna get people in trouble for linking to stuff that's not officially licensed, especially something like this that is backed by one of the bigger book publishers over in Japan. At the same time, I do want to let people know that I've finally finished translating the three core rulebooks for Sword World 2.0 after nearly a decade, and I not only want to finally get that done and over with (at least until I start on supplements), but I want people to start playing the game because it's pretty neat, and it's hard to do that when people don't know where to find the rules.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I can't comment on the forums' rules but if you want to slide the Japanese and the translation into my PM's I would be very appreciative and willing to give you money when I have some.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Aniodia posted:

So asking for a friend, the friend is me but what's the word on linking to an unofficial fan translation of a Japanese tabletop game? I ask because I know the forum's under new management, and I don't wanna get people in trouble for linking to stuff that's not officially licensed, especially something like this that is backed by one of the bigger book publishers over in Japan. At the same time, I do want to let people know that I've finally finished translating the three core rulebooks for Sword World 2.0 after nearly a decade, and I not only want to finally get that done and over with (at least until I start on supplements), but I want people to start playing the game because it's pretty neat, and it's hard to do that when people don't know where to find the rules.

We just had a mod conversation about stuff like this the other day and 99% sure it's cool. If there isn't an official translation and nobody is likely to sue Jeff it's fine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fool of sound posted:

We just had a mod conversation about stuff like this the other day and 99% sure it's cool. If there isn't an official translation and nobody is likely to sue Jeff it's fine.

Pretty much this. Don't charge money for it, don't post the entire thing on the forums, and uh, maybe seriously consider asking the copyright owner for permission or something, but basically it's OK to link to it here. Of course you might get in trouble and if you do that's on you, the concern is to protect the forums and jeffrey from legal entanglement.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I will pay good money to the right owners and the translators especially if they're line by line so I can nerd out about the translation without having to turn my head.

Look, who wants this kidney. Anyone?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Xiahou Dun posted:

I can't comment on the forums' rules but if you want to slide the Japanese and the translation into my PM's I would be very appreciative and willing to give you money when I have some.

fool of sound posted:

Well, I'm not really looking for money, but since it seems I got the go-ahead, you can find the rules here, with the character sheet here (though it does need to be resized when printing).

Leperflesh posted:

Pretty much this. Don't charge money for it, don't post the entire thing on the forums, and uh, maybe seriously consider asking the copyright owner for permission or something, but basically it's OK to link to it here. Of course you might get in trouble and if you do that's on you, the concern is to protect the forums and jeffrey from legal entanglement.

So way back when I'd started, I was in contact with a guy who was a lot closer to the designers, and what I was basically told was they couldn't "officially" sign off on anything like this without the higher-ups (and that would be very expensive, Douglas), but they wouldn't go out of their way to hunt down anyone who did. Whether that still holds true, I don't really know, but as far as I can tell the old wikia/fandom site is still up a decade later, and that's literally the second result on Google in English, so :shrug:? And yeah, I didn't plan on charging money for it, plus it's hosted on shoutwiki right now anyway, so the other issues are nothing to worry about.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
That seems to line up with most Japanese companies not caring too much about Fan Translations if it's in a market they aren't currently in

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Dangerous Minority posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with making their own polyhedral dice? My wife's been thinking of giving it a shot but neither of us have any idea of where to start outside of the usual Google search

Rybonator on youtube has entire videos dedicated on resin mixing and pouring. Check that out for an idea of what to conjure up. Resin will need a silicone mold usually and you will need something to pressurize to help drove out bubbles from the mold.

Also, check out the DIY boards here and on Reddit. DnDIY is good to leverage as a resource. Surprisingly, so is Facebook on various crafting groups too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lawlicaust posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations on miniature games. I have a pretty large board game collection, many of which with miniatures, and I started painting them during covid to relieve some boredom. I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would and think I would like to try out some miniature gaming but am indecisive about which game to pick up.

Here's my constraints when considering which game to pick up:
-A game I can paint and play with my daughter (10) and my wife who both enjoy board games
-Ideally ~2 hours per gaming session when we know what we are doing
-Preferably not Warhammer
-Not so niche that it might stop being produced soon or has really limited models

I've looked into Malifaux and that seems like it might fit the bill but some of my friend who play it say that games can be really long. Also open to just some good board games with miniatures.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.
The D&D tile placer games are fun for what they are and come with a tonne of miniatures each.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Since it's come up here, anyone know if there's anything I should know about working with resin when it's cold out? I usually work in my shop but it's unheated and it's like 40F out there right now. Will everything still cure fine?

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Much obliged for the help, y'all! Gonna get research done and materials ordered over the weekend so we can give this thing a shot

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

Since it's come up here, anyone know if there's anything I should know about working with resin when it's cold out? I usually work in my shop but it's unheated and it's like 40F out there right now. Will everything still cure fine?

Depends on the actual product. All these products have data sheets you can look up that tell you what temps they're supposed to be used at, and if you can't find it you can call the manufacterer and they're happy to tell you.

That said, 40 is on the low side and it could affect curing times.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How come I only now hear about an upcoming second edition of the Iron Kingdoms RPG?
Oh, it's for 5e. Noooo :(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Azran posted:

How come I only now hear about an upcoming second edition of the Iron Kingdoms RPG?
Oh, it's for 5e. Noooo :(

Yeah, it's completely unsuited to the style of the setting imo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Didn't Iron Kingdoms start as a 3.5 setting

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Len posted:

No, Warmachine is the origin, Iron Kingdoms is basically a D20 hack.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, the wargame came out a year before the 3.5 RPG IIRC.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

And mechanically it was poo poo in 3.5 too

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Len posted:

You're thinking of Iron Heroes, I think.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Aniodia posted:

I've been hankering to play Grancrest Senki (by the Sword World/Lodoss guy) after watching the anime a few months ago

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The first ever Iron Kingdoms product was also one of the first ever 3.0 / D20 products - "The Longest Night", the first in the Witchfire Trilogy of adventures was published in 2001, less than a year after the original 3.0 PHB,

The first Warmachine miniatures game rulebook ("Warmachine: Prime") came out a year later (2002)

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Any recommendations for good Spire APs out there? Doesn't have to be polished or anything. I think I have my group interested in playing it, but I'd probably have to run it and I've never even played myself. I'd like to get a feel for how the game plays with actual humans before taking that plunge.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I didn't play Iron Heroes/Iron Kingdoms when it was a 3.x hack, but I vaguely recall people saying the classes in it were better balanced than core.
I really don't like the fact we're basically in OGL/d20 hell again, where everything is an attempt at playing reskinned d&d

S.J.
May 19, 2008

FMguru posted:

The first ever Iron Kingdoms product was also one of the first ever 3.0 / D20 products - "The Longest Night", the first in the Witchfire Trilogy of adventures was published in 2001, less than a year after the original 3.0 PHB,

The first Warmachine miniatures game rulebook ("Warmachine: Prime") came out a year later (2002)

Yes, but the miniatures game had already been in development before 3e came out. IIRC The Longest Night wasn't a comprehensive setting book, either. And I don't know the exact date, but I believe the warmachine starter boxes were available before the full rulebook launched, but I wasn't playing back then. The warmachine setting had been cooking with the intent of making a miniature game for a while. Matt was intent on making a miniature game that played similar to the feel of a competitive MTG like game.

Coolness Averted posted:

I didn't play Iron Heroes/Iron Kingdoms when it was a 3.x hack, but I vaguely recall people saying the classes in it were better balanced than core.
I really don't like the fact we're basically in OGL/d20 hell again, where everything is an attempt at playing reskinned d&d

Iron Heroes and Iron Kingdoms are two different things but yeah

S.J. fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 18, 2020

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Aniodia posted:

Well, I'm not really looking for money, but since it seems I got the go-ahead, you can find the rules here, with the character sheet here (though it does need to be resized when printing).

What I can't see on a quick glance at the wiki is any sort of pitch about what this game is setting out to do?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

S.J. posted:

Yes, but the miniatures game had already been in development before 3e came out. IIRC The Longest Night wasn't a comprehensive setting book, either. And I don't know the exact date, but I believe the warmachine starter boxes were available before the full rulebook launched, but I wasn't playing back then. The warmachine setting had been cooking with the intent of making a miniature game for a while. Matt was intent on making a miniature game that played similar to the feel of a competitive MTG like game

Warmachine Prime was copyrighted in 2002, but didn't actually get released until 2003. Meanwhile, by that time they had released all the Witchfire Trilogy (all in 2001), plus Lock & Load and the first Monsternomicon (2002). Even if they did release the miniatures before the rules, I can't imagine they did so two years beforehand.

They definitely made the RPG first. That they had the idea for a miniatures game in the back of their mind is possible, but I can't find evidence of it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

neonchameleon posted:

What I can't see on a quick glance at the wiki is any sort of pitch about what this game is setting out to do?

It's setting out to be an unlicensed D&D because TSR was loving stupid. Record of the Lodoss War was originally a novelization of a Japanese group's D&D game in a custom setting. It sold amazingly well and became a manga and anime.
As it was getting really big its creators sought to license D&D to sell RPG books using the D&D rules, but TSR couldn't see the value, since at the time tabletop RPGs didn't sell well in Japan.
Basically imagine if Matt Mercer was told he couldn't associate Critical Role with D&D and made his own game just as it was taking off.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

neonchameleon posted:

Essentially, it's the typical "high fantasy romp" that D&D wants to be, but without the particular weird baggage that D&D has. You want weird pc races? Delving into dark holes in the ground to hunt down treasure and monsters? How about an ancient civilization that used magical machines as well?

I will say that the plague has put the kibosh in me actually playing/running a game of this myself, at least for the moment. However, it does seem like you could run the game in a few different ways (like, a more social game instead of hacking and slashing, or wilderness adventures, or even something like airship security) and not feel like you're doing it wrong.

As a small bonus, the system is all 2d6 based, so if your group has that one person who keeps forgetting their dice because holy gently caress it's not like we had planned this for literal weeks or anything, noooooo then you can just hand off a pair of dice out of the brick someone most likely has, or even raid a board game if need be.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Aniodia posted:

Essentially, it's the typical "high fantasy romp" that D&D wants to be, but without the particular weird baggage that D&D has. You want weird pc races? Delving into dark holes in the ground to hunt down treasure and monsters? How about an ancient civilization that used magical machines as well?

I will say that the plague has put the kibosh in me actually playing/running a game of this myself, at least for the moment. However, it does seem like you could run the game in a few different ways (like, a more social game instead of hacking and slashing, or wilderness adventures, or even something like airship security) and not feel like you're doing it wrong.

As a small bonus, the system is all 2d6 based, so if your group has that one person who keeps forgetting their dice because holy gently caress it's not like we had planned this for literal weeks or anything, noooooo then you can just hand off a pair of dice out of the brick someone most likely has, or even raid a board game if need be.

Brother please translate the Grancrest books, only the main book got a translation by /tg/ and it was like 5 years ago

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Plutonis posted:

Brother please translate the Grancrest books, only the main book got a translation by /tg/ and it was like 5 years ago

TBH, I was gonna chill for a little bit, catch up on the hobby stuff I put off to get this done before the end of the year, and then start digging into the supplements. Unfortunately, there's like, another 11 actual rules supplements, as well as 8 or 9 region books describing the world of the game. So personally I'm gonna be fairly busy for a while, assuming that it doesn't take another decade to finish all that. However, I do know there's been some people looking for something to do, so I'll pass that on and see what comes of it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Thanks a lot for translating this! I'm always interested in seeing the way Japanese TTRPGS have developed and evolved.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Aniodia posted:

TBH, I was gonna chill for a little bit, catch up on the hobby stuff I put off to get this done before the end of the year, and then start digging into the supplements. Unfortunately, there's like, another 11 actual rules supplements, as well as 8 or 9 region books describing the world of the game. So personally I'm gonna be fairly busy for a while, assuming that it doesn't take another decade to finish all that. However, I do know there's been some people looking for something to do, so I'll pass that on and see what comes of it.

Ah well... Understandable but yeah there's an existing demand for TLs of those books, it's a shame that JP publishers seldom see them, especially when compared to the European counterparts.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Japanese games! Okay, so Double Cross in particular is one that really appeals to me. It seems right up my alley, specifically in that it's a very tactical game that isn't fiddly and doesn't use a grid. But I find myself bouncing off the rules, even after reading the F&F.

To use a basic example, I don't understand why you wouldn't max out one stat and only used powers based on that stat. Comparing it to D&D 4e, in 4e you gotta max out your attack stat, and builds that use two attack stats are dicey and only viable for a few specific subclasses of a fewclasses.

(I also cannot understand how the Neumann multi-weapons powers work.)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

Japanese games! Okay, so Double Cross in particular is one that really appeals to me. It seems right up my alley, specifically in that it's a very tactical game that isn't fiddly and doesn't use a grid. But I find myself bouncing off the rules, even after reading the F&F.

To use a basic example, I don't understand why you wouldn't max out one stat and only used powers based on that stat. Comparing it to D&D 4e, in 4e you gotta max out your attack stat, and builds that use two attack stats are dicey and only viable for a few specific subclasses of a fewclasses.

(I also cannot understand how the Neumann multi-weapons powers work.)

Maxing out one stat and using powers based on that stat is the system working as intended; that's why there are so many powers to replace Dodge's stat check with (insert your power stat here). You pay an encroachment tax every time you do, though.

Neumann multi-weapon is basically 'you add the attack stats of your weapons together, but have to use the worse of any restrictions that are on them (e.g. range, or if they can't attack enemies in your current engagement like some ranged weapons can't)'. You also have to respect the typing of the weapons - you can't multiweapon a gun and a sword, because one uses <Ranged> and the other uses <Melee> but you can double deagle all day erry day.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
But if that's the case, why would you bother to branch out into (for example) the Hanuman powers that use RC or Negotiation along with your Melee powers?

With the multi-weapon powers, it's...okay, Multi-Weapon lets you use 2 weapons. Variable Weapon lets you use (LEVEL) extra weapons...and the max Level of the power is 1. So that's still two weapons? Or three, since you're combining the powers?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

But if that's the case, why would you bother to branch out into (for example) the Hanuman powers that use RC or Negotiation along with your Melee powers?

With the multi-weapon powers, it's...okay, Multi-Weapon lets you use 2 weapons. Variable Weapon lets you use (LEVEL) extra weapons...and the max Level of the power is 1. So that's still two weapons? Or three, since you're combining the powers?

You wouldn't, necessarily. You'd use Hanuman RC or Negotation powers with another Syndrome that uses RC, or with Solaris. Later books are a bit better at giving one stat-heavy syndromes more options (most notably, Infinity Code FINALLY gives Chimera a decent <RC> attack).

The thing about Variable Weapon is that Pure strain characters can raise powers higher than the default (up to two levels higher) in exchange for being limited to one Syndrome. So a Pure Neumann with Multi-Weapon and level 3 Variable Weapons can indeed combine the attack power of FIVE GUNS into a single attack.

edit: something that might help you with your questions about single stat is to say that characters having two Syndromes is the default, and so you're not going to be just taking, say, Hanuman powers except for very specific builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Leraika posted:

The thing about Variable Weapon is that Pure strain characters can raise powers higher than the default (up to two levels higher) in exchange for being limited to one Syndrome. So a Pure Neumann with Multi-Weapon and level 3 Variable Weapons can indeed combine the attack power of FIVE GUNS into a single attack.
Oh. Ohhh

I get it now.