Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Since I couldn't sleep last night/this morning, I decided to try tackling Archdragon Peak. I knew the gimmick with the Ancient Wyvern fight going in, so the hardest part of the whole area was dealing with the man-serpents. The ones with the knives chew through your health really fast. Once I got the wyvern dispatched, I started dueling the summoned knights. I took out the first one okay, but then Havel got summoned, and partway through, I got invaded. I thought maybe I missed out on Havel's stuff by not beating him when he gets summoned, but I found out you fight him one-on-one later on (which was still sort of a annoying fight, if only because of his defenses).

I decided to stop there (to try and get some sleep), but I looked up the Nameless King to see what I needed to look out for in the fight. Earlier, I decided to stop putting it off any try fighting him. On my first attempt, I decided to summon someone, because I knew I was going to die quite a few times before I beat the boss, so I thought maybe having some summons would help me see when/where to dodge some of the attacks.

The fight went...well...

...I'm sorry... :negative:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
What Dark Souls boss attacks are unblockable? I can’t think of many aside from grab attacks.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

As far as I know the only unblockables are grab attacks, Deacon's Curse-Bomb, and Wolnir dragging the abyss into you when he's crawling.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think in ds1 the capra demon's big jumping attack with both his machetes might be unblockable, but it's been a bit.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I think you can block it if you have enough stability, but I believe you need a greatshield at least, which is something that you’d need to go well out of your way to find before the Capra Boss. Or it may just be unblockable and I’m misremembering it.

I swear it’s blockable, because I remembered it being funny looking when it happens.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s not even that hard to block. A +5 Balder shield can do it iirc. You might need to level endurance a bit though. A baseline character with an unupgraded shield available before Capra will always get crushed.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

me after beating yhorm: :hellyeah:

me triggering another boss fight immediately after with 0 estus flasks: :staredog:

so uhh...where was that i want my 44k souls back

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ASenileAnimal posted:

me triggering another boss fight immediately after with 0 estus flasks: :staredog:

Start at Vordt's bonfire and head straight up the stairs. That room was the one where you got the banner from the old lady before you fought Vordt at the very beginning.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

How did you even do that? You had to tag the post-Yhorm bonfire to continue

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

multijoe posted:

got teleported somewhere right after the fight with no oppritunity to use a bonfire and was dumb enough to see what happens when i activate something instead of finding a bonfire and the dancer popped out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

multijoe posted:

You don't--I just did that part in my current playthrough. If Yhorm is the last of the pre-Lothric Lords of Cinder you fight, you just get teleported away immediately after the fight ends.

You're free to leave the room you get teleported to but there's no way to know that placing the basin will activate a boss fight if you're playing blind so I can't blame anyone who starts the Dancer fight without realizing what they were getting into :v:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fair enough, been a couple of years since my last full run. Just had it in my brain you were given a bonfire to tag as per usual after the boss, my mistake.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They do automatically light that bonfire for you so that you can warp back to it, but yeah they don't give you the opportunity to rest at the bonfire before you're teleported away.

It doesn't warp you directly into another boss fight or anything, but there's also absolutely no signposting that doing the thing the dying old lady says to do will immediately trigger another boss fight so :v:

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

ASenileAnimal posted:

I'm on my first playthrough of the game. I fought Aldrich, and we both got to zero HP at the same time. Cutscene triggers, my dude does a bunch of stuff, teleports to somewhere brand new and then immediately dies on his arse. I was briefly terrified that I was going to be somehow locked out of the new area, but luckily enough some frantic googling led me to it.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

got my souls back but i hate this boss and its lovely grab attack so much

edit: beat the dancer after like 20 tries by getting it to chase me around a pillar and popping out to hit it once and running away. it took forever and that was probably the hardest souls game boss for me.

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 14, 2020

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dancer is super weak to dark, to the point where if you wanted to get into Lothric early you can dunk her with the Dark Hand (from Yuria).

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ASenileAnimal posted:

got my souls back but i hate this boss and its lovely grab attack so much

edit: beat the dancer after like 20 tries by getting it to chase me around a pillar and popping out to hit it once and running away. it took forever and that was probably the hardest souls game boss for me.

:unsmigghh:

in unrelated news, if you're a huge loving dork like me who's willing to watch an hour of a guy using freecam and prism stones, illusorywall started his dark souls 3 dissected series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqRhEvTdQgg

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

This is a pretty cool vid too, shows what's going on behind the scenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbaA6_84gyY

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

:unsmigghh:

in unrelated news, if you're a huge loving dork like me who's willing to watch an hour of a guy using freecam and prism stones, illusorywall started his dark souls 3 dissected series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqRhEvTdQgg

This is really cool. I'd just sort of assumed that all the stuff off in the distance was just set dressing in the background but it's really cool to see how much is actually loaded in and how accurate the layout often is. The way these all fit together is really interesting to me.

I haven't watched his series on the first Dark Souls yet but I'm very interested to.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I got the third elevator in Lothric Castle/Grand Archives unlocked, so I'm ready to take on Prince Lothric and take the shortcut back if I die. Once I beat him, I think next up is the DLC, which has me worried, because a lot of the bosses sound pretty tough. I'm at or around Level 100 (don't remember my exact stats at the moment), which I think is the recommended level for the DLCs.

Here's my general plan for how to proceed.
  1. Fight Prince Lothric.
  2. Grind for souls to buy upgrade materials to get the Hollowslayer Greatsword, the Wolf Knight's Greatsword, and one of the Black Knight weapons to +4/+5 for the bosses weak to whichever weapon in particular.
  3. Talk to Gael in the Cathedral.
  4. Go through the Ashes of Arandiel and beat Sister Friede.
  5. Go through the Ringed City and beat Gael.
  6. Go back to Firelink Shrine and put all the cinders on the thrones.
  7. Fight the Lord of Cinders and finish the game.
  8. Install the Honest Merchant mod, and get all the necessary covenant items, to get all the remaining spells, pyromancies, and miracles.
  9. Play through again to get all the rings in NG+.
  10. Play through a third time to get all the rings in NG++.
  11. Have an aneursym and die.
  12. Make my way back home from the bonfire and start working toward getting 100% for DS1.

Alternatively:
  1. Try the DLC.
  2. Realize it's too hard.
  3. Give up and wait for my copy of Cyberpunk 2077 to arrive.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

good god i take back what i said about the dancer i hate this teleporting prince rear end in a top hat :frogsiren:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
The princes are both weak to lightning especially Lorian, and in the second phase you should wail on Lothric as much as possible as his death ends the fight.
Dragonslayer's axe works quite well on them, and can be buffed with extra lightning.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Facehug Lorian and abuse a flame resistant shield (Black Knight works wonders). If you beat his face in enough you can get a crit in and speed up the fight significantly. This also works in phase 2 so you can beat on Lothric faster.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Max Wilco posted:

A long list

You forgot about Midir :getin:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I ended up accidentally summoning someone for Lorian & Lothric (if you're wondering how you accidentally summon someone, it happens when you press the activate button over their summon sign to see their name, but accidentally double-press the button). With another player drawing attention with magic, the fight wasn't too hard. Most annoying part was getting damage in on Lorain, since I was trying to spam hits on him before he could do the resurrection.

After that, I grabbed the items from Sirris and Orbeck (both dead from finishing their quest lines), and went to join Rosaria's covenant. I don't know what I did, but the Heysel worm showed up so I was able to get Heysel's pick and the head-wrap. After talking to Leonhard and warping back-and-forth, I triggered the quest for him to kill Rosaria so I could get the Black Eye Orb and go to Anor Londo to fight him. Beat him, exchanged the soul for the pyromancy I can't use, and then went to see Gael in the Cathedral to go to the Painted World.

I think this is where the karma of accidentally cheesing Nameless King and Prince Lorian has reared its head. :pwn:

This area has been a goddamned pain-in-the-rear end. Starting out, I get invaded, which isn't so bad, since I die by the bonfire, but then I get chased by a bunch of fire-breathing vikings into a collapsing snow bank, and from there, I get mauled by wolves. Said wolves are a pain to deal with because they alert all the other wolves to come swarm you, and they dodge projectiles. Add to that living trees that throw tracking flames at you, blow ice-breath at you, and grab you (I hate grab attacks so much).

I quickly pick up on it, though, and I find I can dispatch the wolves pretty easily, and the trees get stunned if you hit them with fire attacks of some kind. I make my way to a bonfire, and then cross a bridge to the church with some knight and Sister Friede, who tell me to piss off back to the main game. There's an attic with nothing in it, and a door on the main floor I can't interact with. I look at a walkthrough, and I see that there's apparently a tower I missed, because navigation around this area is disorienting because everything looks the same, and the snow and trees make it hard to see in the distance.

I cross back through the area with the wolves, and fight a big super-wolf who I don't think I actually killed, but it vanished after taking off 3/4th of its health. I make my way around the corner and start fighting giant-vikings near a tower. I then proceed to die a number of times trying to fight the giant-vikings because trying to fight in that tower with the lack of space and the camera getting crammed in close makes it hard for me to see where to dodge to. I finally get to the top of the tower and take out the archer firing the exploding arrows, only to end up falling to my death trying to catch a crystal lizard. I make my way back through again, over to the ledge above where to wolves hang out, and I find two of those archers together. This was the bit that really pissed me off, because I hid behind a rock outcropping to try and snipe one and take the other one out in close-quarters, but the arrows kept hitting me through the rock; I don't mean the arrow explosion from when they hit their target, I mean they passed through the rock. There was also some weird draw-distance thing where they would disappear if I moved too far away, even though I know enemies have shown up at farther distances before. I eventually sniped one down, and took the other one out, along with their wolf pets, only to realize that the whole area wasn't even necessary to progress.
:negative:

I eventually get on the right track, taking the ladder down from the bonfire near the bridge. I follow the path into a town full of slimy bird things, with some birds who attack with fast-hitting claws. Compared to the tower, though, this area is pretty easy. It is very maze like, and it takes me a while to get everything explored. I go into the library(?) near the church, and the knight from earlier shows up to attack me. I die, but it's a short run back to him from the bonfire in the town, and I get him on the next try. I go upstairs to find painter girl, and then I head up the mountain. I run into both the regular vikings and the giant-vikings. The regular vikings will swarm you, and when you've got two fire-breathing vikings trying to torch you, and two more chucking spears at you, trying to survive is an ordeal. There's only a few giant-vikings, and I've got them down where I can backstab them pretty consistently, but there's one who nearly kills me because he's got some super-axe that can cause earthquakes. Plus, there's more archers, though they're positioned in places that make them much easier to reach and melee. I finally fell a tree bridge shortcut that I don't use and go into the mountain cave.

Inside I find a big chamber filled with giants flies that I encountered earlier, only these spit the bleed leeches onto you, so I need to keep a torch on hand. Despite how hard getting up the mountain was, this bit is actually pretty easy, because the flies die in like two-or-three swings with the Hollowslayer GS. They also seems to take critical damage if you hit them with a throwing knife/kukri while they're flying. Eventually I find a staircase that leads up to door. A door that looks suspiciously like the one I saw in the church near Friede. Sure, enough, I open the door, and there she is, next to the bonfire. Friede's like, "Blah, blah, blah rot" or whatever. Up the ladder, painting girl's got a canvas set up, but she wants to see a flame, even though there's a lit lantern in the same room :shrug:.

I go back downstairs and find an illusory wall that leads to an empty room that opens out to a bunch of tree branches that lead down to coliseum. I have enough sense to warp back to Firelink to spend my souls before trying to make my way down. I duel the pyromancer phantom down there, and he's annoying because he keeps summoning pyro spheres that shoot at you, like the goat demon. The fight is also annoying because at this point, the game started hitching up (I was streaming it for like four hours, so my system was probably getting stressed on memory), so I decided to warp back to Firelink again and call it quits for the night.

-

From what I can tell, I think I'm on the cusp of being able to fight Friede, and from what I read, I have to cut the rope bridge to get to the other, secret boss, Champion Gravetender. This feels like a huge difficulty spike from the rest of the game, which has seemed pretty lenient. What's odd, though, is that I was expecting enemies to be dropping a lot more souls.

TL;DR - :salt:

axolotl farmer posted:

You forgot about Midir :getin:

I was planning to do all the optional bosses. I was just listing the main boss of each expansion.

I got the impression Gael was the hardest boss in the game but I saw saw something that said Midir is the harder of the two. At least with that one, there seems to be an NPC summon, so if I can't find any other players, I can fall back on that.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 16, 2020

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Midir is hard because he's a piece of poo poo boss design

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

If you go through both DLC before fighting the Soul of Cinder, it will be a very very easy fight.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

:words:

I was expecting enemies to be dropping a lot more souls.

TL;DR - :salt:

I was planning to do all the optional bosses. I was just listing the main boss of each expansion.

I got the impression Gael was the hardest boss in the game but I saw saw something that said Midir is the harder of the two. At least with that one, there seems to be an NPC summon, so if I can't find any other players, I can fall back on that.

Yeah the rewards in Ariandel don't really feel adequate for how tough the mobs are when they only drop small titanite and not many souls :negative: the bosses aren't too difficult though. Ringed city has much better drops.

Summoning Shira for Midir is pretty much there to show why summoning for Midir is a bad idea.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Sister Friede is the hardest boss in the game by a wide margin. Gael is pretty tough but nowhere near as frustrating. Midir isn't really tough so much as it is an exercise in patience. The fight is kind of a slog. Do *not* summon an ally for Midir, it actively makes the fight harder.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

finally got the princes down! i lost count of how many times i died but it was a shitton. the black knight shield helped alot.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Chalupa Joe posted:

Yeah the rewards in Ariandel don't really feel adequate for how tough the mobs are when they only drop small titanite and not many souls :negative: the bosses aren't too difficult though. Ringed city has much better drops.

It's weird, because while some of the mobs are really tough, it's also got areas that are sort of a cakewalk. However, since the soul drops are so low, it makes me wonder if you're meant to do it earlier. I'm at SL 106 or something now, and with the Knight Ring and Carthus Milkring, I can dispatch most of the enemies in like two-or-three swings (barring the giant vikings). I can't imagine doing it at SL 70 or 80, which is I think the recommended level.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 16, 2020

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

axolotl farmer posted:

If you go through both DLC before fighting the Soul of Cinder, it will be a very very easy fight.
Aww hell, I've been under the impression that I had to do the dlcs first!

I'll go beat the game this weekend then finish up the ringed city and crab area of the painted one later

To the person who loved the farron greatsword:
I think someone in this thread turned me into it and it, along with life leech mechanic spear and rings got me through the game mostly. Decent for pvp too there's some youtube guides.

That and I'm so sick of never beating a dark souls even though I have the first 2/3s memorised that I was looking up boss weaknesses and changing up equipment instead of just using one load out and build for everything.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've been falling in love all over again with the Gotthard Twinswords. I know their damage got nerfed pretty bad a while back, but that rolling L1 is still so drat good and this weapon rules.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

hell yeah took down soul of cinder after a few tries. the composite bow was incredibly useful for sneaking some extra hits with the rolling r1 attack when he used ranged attacks and his big 5 hit combo.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
got a quick relic item theory i've never seen anywhere else and just felt compelled to share:

Morne's Great Hammer is Grant from DS1, just having been sculpted over the years since it first fell from the sky, because Grant is definitely a meteorite on a stick

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Replaying this alongside Dark Souls 1 makes it really stand out how much harder bosses got over the course of the series. I just did the DS1 DLC and Artorias is a chump compared to any similar "dude in armor with a weapon" DS3 boss. He's so much more predictable and getting hit is so much less punishing.

I used to find Artorias really tough but this time I just wrecked him and moved on, it's nuts

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Artorias is a slightly slower phase 2 Abyss Walker, or rather, the Abyss Walkers are slightly faster more aggressive Artoriae.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A lot of Artorias's threat level is bundled up in him getting his DBZ power ups off at which point all of his attacks start turning into instant YOU DIEDs. If you knock him out of those he's a pretty fair and straightforward fight all things considered.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Got Gael down after several tries yay me. I loved the fight generally I find it's well made but thanks for whoever suggested taking a shield for phase 2. I love his sword.
Now Midir is a little bitch I hardly manage to get him to phase 2 after a dozen of tries. There are a few moves which are really dickish... Oh well I'll get you.

To take a break I went on to take down the Lord of Cinder and yeah, after fighting Gael and Midir this guy is a walk in the park.

And now I'm thinking about trying another build, for this run I went quality build with no magic at all. Any suggestions from you guys?

EDIT: I did it! Feels good, now what??

Le0 fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pyromancy is tons of fun since you can weave in some sorcery & miracles on the side.