Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Stringent posted:

Would you really want your wife to be at the one hospital that is making exceptions to the rules?

No, if they were making exceptions I certainly wouldn't want that. I was hoping that maybe they might be able to work with me if I got tested, and I'd be okay with a hospital that had some kind of policy about letting fathers test and isolate before being present. I understand they're refusing me for the protection of everyone involved, though, which is why I'm extremely disappointed but not angry at all.

harperdc posted:

I think it depends - friends of mine have had babies recently, and while one couldn’t visit his wife after, he was present for the birth.

Also that’s likely the policy right now, and I would imagine it’s liable to change in the future should things change.

One of the places we called would let me come in for the birth, but not visits afterwards. My wife wants an epidural, though, and that hospital didn't do epidurals.

Every hospital has told us that things might change in the future, and I'm prepared to wait and hope if I have to. Still, a few of the places have mentioned that they've been like this since the state of emergency earlier this year. With infection rates rising across the country ever since then (and especially recently), I find it unlikely things will change unless maybe I can get vaccinated by July, which is also probably unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

captkirk posted:

Uh, unless Five Guys in Japan is very different than Five Guys in the US the fries are nothing like McDonald's fries and the burger is cooked from raw after you order.

i like five guys fries a lot too but i know this is contentious.

best fast food burg i had in japan was at wendy's first kitchen at 3am when drunk with goons.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Spoggerific posted:

My wife wants an epidural, though, and that hospital didn't do epidurals.

This kind of poo poo is by far the worst part about living in Japan, imo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

captkirk posted:

Uh, unless Five Guys in Japan is very different than Five Guys in the US the fries are nothing like McDonald's fries and the burger is cooked from raw after you order.

THERE ARE NO FIVE GUYS OUTLETS IN JAPAN

not even on bases

I just checked, they're in a handful of European countries, the Middle East, but Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia are it for east Asia.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

harperdc posted:

THERE ARE NO FIVE GUYS OUTLETS IN JAPAN

not even on bases

I just checked, they're in a handful of European countries, the Middle East, but Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia are it for east Asia.

That's okay, there is enough US garbage in other countries as it is.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I bet Five Guys and In-N-Out would do pretty well in Japan, I wonder why they aren't opening places here. Supply issues maybe?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Stringent posted:

I bet Five Guys and In-N-Out would do pretty well in Japan, I wonder why they aren't opening places here. Supply issues maybe?

AFAIK, In N Out only opens on properties that they own. If they can't buy the real estate, they don't open.

And Five Guys is bad and knows that discerning Japanese palettes will avoid them.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Wait, you think Japan doesn't sell real estate or what?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

I hate to interrupt the burger chat, but I have a question and was hoping someone in the thread might have some advice for me.

Most hospitals have the same policies so just choose wherever will be easiest to get to for appointments and possibly birth at a weird time.

You will have years together so don't spend all your energy thinking about one day.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

<In N Out Board Meeting, January 2021>

CEO: Members of the board, our growth strategy for FY2022 includes opening our first ever branch in the land of the rising sun, Japan.
Board Member: It's certainly a highly prestigious market and all, but what's the cash flow look like?
CEO: Given our required floor space and Omotesando's real estate market, we estimate that it will take *checks notes* 30 years of selling burgers to break even.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

In-n-Out is so strict with their supply chain they have barely expanded and it’s still all west of the Mississippi if memory serves.

I know I’ve heard they did one-day pop-up shops in Tokyo before but that was by bringing all the relevant ingredients over from California. They don’t even have any locations in the Seattle area.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

harperdc posted:

In-n-Out is so strict with their supply chain they have barely expanded and it’s still all west of the Mississippi if memory serves.

I know I’ve heard they did one-day pop-up shops in Tokyo before but that was by bringing all the relevant ingredients over from California. They don’t even have any locations in the Seattle area.

Texas is as far east as they currently go.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

harperdc posted:

Every few years they do a pop up for literally 4 hours lol

As I recall it was theorized that it's basically a way to stop imitators or people trying to take their name in major markets by showing they have a record of performing business in the region/country. No idea if that's the actual justification but could see it being so, and the cost of sending a few staff and four hours of food every two-three years is probably negligible.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

zmcnulty posted:

<In N Out Board Meeting, January 2021>

CEO: Members of the board, our growth strategy for FY2022 includes opening our first ever branch in the land of the rising sun, Japan.
Board Member: It's certainly a highly prestigious market and all, but what's the cash flow look like?
CEO: Given our required floor space and Omotesando's real estate market, we estimate that it will take *checks notes* 30 years of selling burgers to break even.

Good point, the burger chain based out of California is definitely gonna be freaked out by Japanese real estate prices.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

harperdc posted:

Ah ok, that's interesting.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

is habit burger in japan? theyre in shanghai and tbh much better/cheaper than shake shack's garbo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

is habit burger in japan? theyre in shanghai and tbh much better/cheaper than shake shack's garbo.

They’re not in Tokyo. I’ve never heard of them, but checking the website I learned they have more than 200 locations in California and are a Yum Brands joint, so :v:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So I was trying to send my sister some miso and furikake and Kuroneko is saying you can't send any food products of any type to the US at the moment? Anyone know if that's correct?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

So I was trying to send my sister some miso and furikake and Kuroneko is saying you can't send any food products of any type to the US at the moment? Anyone know if that's correct?

Air mail between the two countries is still suspended, though DHL and FedEx will get through assuming they’re okay handling those particular items. There’s no ban on them at the US border.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Stringent posted:

Kuroneko cannot send food products. However, Japan Post is still accepting airmail small packets, which are limited to 2 kg and don’t have tracking. I sent some food stuff to the US this way last week.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ganguro King posted:

Kuroneko cannot send food products. However, Japan Post is still accepting airmail small packets, which are limited to 2 kg and don’t have tracking. I sent some food stuff to the US this way last week.

Awesome, thanks!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
anyone able to get those whiskey aged kit kats?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ganguro King posted:

Do you know why they are being so stupid about tracking? It's really bizarre that they've gone over 6 months since they had their mail working normally.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Do you know why they are being so stupid about tracking? It's really bizarre that they've gone over 6 months since they had their mail working normally.

A lot of mail between the US and Japan goes in the cargo hold of passenger flights and when those dried up it seemed like they just suspended mail rather than accept mail with a delivery estimate of “five days to who knows when.”

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

As I recall it was theorized that it's basically a way to stop imitators or people trying to take their name

You mean thesse two fine locations that I've been judging my In N Out experience on were imitators??

[Ethiopia]

[Cyprus]

Maybe the Five Guys patties are not precooked, I couldn't find it out in a quick Google. They're always well-done (like any other fast food burger), so it will turn out pretty dry no matter what. I have only been once, in Europe, so maybe it also depends on time of day on whether it's freshly cooked or whether it's a precooked patty that they've been leaving on the warmer. It was delivered in no more than 3 or 4 minutes, so it definitely didn't go on the grill after I ordered, but it was at 6pm so they might have been cooking them on spec. They're definitely edible, but it's like debating which brand of frozen pizza is the best... which I'm sure is something people also argue about.

For the other topic, what does your wife want? I know there is absolutely zero chance my wife would deliver in a hospital where I could not be there unless there was not a single hospital or clinic in the entire country that would do it.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

LMAO

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Saladman posted:

You mean thesse two fine locations that I've been judging my In N Out experience on were imitators??

[Ethiopia]

[Cyprus]

Maybe the Five Guys patties are not precooked, I couldn't find it out in a quick Google. They're always well-done (like any other fast food burger), so it will turn out pretty dry no matter what. I have only been once, in Europe, so maybe it also depends on time of day on whether it's freshly cooked or whether it's a precooked patty that they've been leaving on the warmer. It was delivered in no more than 3 or 4 minutes, so it definitely didn't go on the grill after I ordered, but it was at 6pm so they might have been cooking them on spec. They're definitely edible, but it's like debating which brand of frozen pizza is the best... which I'm sure is something people also argue about.

Five Guys cooks their burgers when you order them. They're done in sorta smashed burger style (meaning the paties are pressed thin on the griddle) which is part of why your burger cooked so quick. Its also probably part of the reason why they cook their burgers to well done. There just isn't a lot of middle to leave pink (plus its easy to fire the 10 burgers that were just ordered when they all need to come out well done). Yes, its possible to have a dry burger that is cooked well done but its not guaranteed and now you're moving goal posts from "all their burgers are precooked and frozen like McDonald's" to boring meat temp snobbery.

You don't have to like Five Guys, arbitrary personal preference is a thing, but you are wrong about your reason for not liking them.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saladman posted:

For the other topic, what does your wife want? I know there is absolutely zero chance my wife would deliver in a hospital where I could not be there unless there was not a single hospital or clinic in the entire country that would do it.

Seems pretty unfair to make her choose between that and an epidural, though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

captkirk posted:

Five Guys cooks their burgers when you order them. They're done in sorta smashed burger style (meaning the paties are pressed thin on the griddle) which is part of why your burger cooked so quick. Its also probably part of the reason why they cook their burgers to well done. There just isn't a lot of middle to leave pink (plus its easy to fire the 10 burgers that were just ordered when they all need to come out well done). Yes, its possible to have a dry burger that is cooked well done but its not guaranteed and now you're moving goal posts from "all their burgers are precooked and frozen like McDonald's" to boring meat temp snobbery.

You don't have to like Five Guys, arbitrary personal preference is a thing, but you are wrong about your reason for not liking them.

That sounds exactly why I don't like them. The burgers themselves were overcooked and terrible.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i like mos burger

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

captkirk posted:

It's not "moving goalposts". The base problem is the burger patties are dry; I have no idea what caused that, precooking was just a hypothesis since nearly all fast food burgers are precooked. Maybe Five Guys doesn't precook them, but instead cooks them longer than McD or whoever, resulting in more or less the same end compared to "premium" McD's burgers like the "Angus" patties. They do have a lot more topping options so I can get why people like it, I just personally don't find extra toppings worth the burger costing twice the price of McD's if I'm hungry and it's noon and I'm on the road and I want calorie intake + meat taste, which is a thing I do occasionally want. I don't think it's "meat snobbery"; does anyone actually prefer well-done burger patties? I get there are safety reasons for it, and it's weird that people complain that Five Guys only does "well done" because I've never asked for a medium-rare Burger King patty either. I had no idea that people complained about that until I googled it earlier today.

I don't have a problem with Five Guys, their burgers are marginally better than McDs / BK because they offer more options. Personally when I'm back in the states and have the option I either get Krystal/White Castle because they are garbage and I just need something to eat, or I get Backyard Burger because their fries are actually good. Everyone has their own tradeoffs, for some people I'm sure that leads them to get Five Guys because they like mushrooms a lot.

LyonsLions posted:

Seems pretty unfair to make her choose between that and an epidural, though.

Yeah but that seems like something that Japan has to pick due to its intense allergy to painkillers, and not something that the poster or his wife can pick. "Do you want your husband with you or an epidural" seems to be the only relevant question here. COVID seems to an irrelevant backdrop in this context.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 18, 2020

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Saladman posted:

... does anyone actually prefer well-done burger patties? ...

me

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Smashburgs are always well done because they're thin and cook through in like a minute. You can't get the crust without fully cooking the meat. I much prefer the crispy maillardy smash to the thicc ultra juicy burger, but it's personal preference.

Smashburgs shouldn't be dry though, despite being well done.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The trick to a smashburger is the "moisture" isn't provided by the water content of the beef the way it is in a steak or a thick burger, it's from the fat in the patty being rendered to a liquid state. That's why for a smashburger you need a mince with ~20% fat content.

I wonder if the FiveGuys Saladman went to wasn't using too lean a mince, which would absolutely result in a dry burger.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There's a possibility that you will be at work, or stuck in traffic, and impossibly unable to join her for the full labor process anyway (spoiler: it's usually a full day!)
My husband was asked to wait in the hall both times I was in labor.
For our second kid I was like nah you can go do that work meeting, and when he came back babby was out and ready to be held.

Ask about availability of epidurals and emergency c-sections and choose somewhere convenient. Don't plan on driving to a far clinic just because they'll allow you in the delivery room.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, about to hit cancel on my May flight, which was fully expected but I figured I'd hold out and see. Not betting on anything getting better in five months, and I'm not sure I'd feel good travelling in the first wave of tourists if Japan opens. Costs me nothing to defer to October or Novemeber so I'll just reschedule my flight with the understanding I may or may not be canceling it again. Not sure if holding out till November would be worse since I tend to hate exploring if I have to carry extra clothes as a contingency.

My plan for May was to start in Osaka for a week while tripping out to Kobe and Kyoto, then three days in Nara, and a week and a half in Tokyo. I'm probably still going to stick to that rough itinerary. I've already done Kyoto albeit only for five days, so I can't decide whether I want to base out of Kyoto and hit up Osaka/Kobe via train, or to base out of Osaka and travel to Kyoto every now and then. I suspect I'll stick to Osaka being my hub even though I don't particularly find myself excited to do anything in Osaka proper outside of Dotonbori and Shinsekai. More to explore I guess!

So still trying to decide on whether October or November would be a better bet, but since I'm staying for three weeks I might just split the difference and go mid-late Oct.

I think 2022+ my goal will be to do less stays in big cities and try to work small towns in but I'm not sure where yet.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saladman posted:

Yeah but that seems like something that Japan has to pick due to its intense allergy to painkillers, and not something that the poster or his wife can pick. "Do you want your husband with you or an epidural" seems to be the only relevant question here. COVID seems to an irrelevant backdrop in this context.

What? No, he said the hospitals aren't allowing him in because of COVID, and the only one that would allow him in doesn't do epidurals. Normally the availability of epidurals and allowing the husband in the room have no relation to each other. COVID is very relevant because it would be easy for them to find what they both want without it.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Well, about to hit cancel on my May flight, which was fully expected but I figured I'd hold out and see. Not betting on anything getting better in five months, and I'm not sure I'd feel good travelling in the first wave of tourists if Japan opens. Costs me nothing to defer to October or Novemeber so I'll just reschedule my flight with the understanding I may or may not be canceling it again. Not sure if holding out till November would be worse since I tend to hate exploring if I have to carry extra clothes as a contingency.

My plan for May was to start in Osaka for a week while tripping out to Kobe and Kyoto, then three days in Nara, and a week and a half in Tokyo. I'm probably still going to stick to that rough itinerary. I've already done Kyoto albeit only for five days, so I can't decide whether I want to base out of Kyoto and hit up Osaka/Kobe via train, or to base out of Osaka and travel to Kyoto every now and then. I suspect I'll stick to Osaka being my hub even though I don't particularly find myself excited to do anything in Osaka proper outside of Dotonbori and Shinsekai. More to explore I guess!

So still trying to decide on whether October or November would be a better bet, but since I'm staying for three weeks I might just split the difference and go mid-late Oct.

I think 2022+ my goal will be to do less stays in big cities and try to work small towns in but I'm not sure where yet.

October weather is really nice temp wise but there is the chance of having a typhoon ruin part of your trip. November is usually still pretty warm and if you are from an area that gets cold in the winter you'll probably be ok just carrying a light jacket that you can stow easily in a backpack.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

peanut posted:

You will have years together so don't spend all your energy thinking about one day.
Yeah, this is a good point. It just feels weird to me that the first time I might see my child will be an entire week after birth. I know the real show starts after we take them home, though.

Saladman posted:

My wife was actually kind of surprised that I wanted to be present for the birth. Her brother missed his child's birth because of work (before covid), which to me seems absolutely unthinkable, but fathers not being present seems to be relatively common in Japan. I've heard stories that even before covid fathers weren't allowed to see the mother and child after birth until they were discharged. I've also heard that post-birth hospital stays in Japan tend to be longer than the US... which I guess makes sense, given the state of healthcare in the two countries.

peanut posted:

There's a possibility that you will be at work, or stuck in traffic, and impossibly unable to join her for the full labor process anyway (spoiler: it's usually a full day!)
My husband was asked to wait in the hall both times I was in labor.
For our second kid I was like nah you can go do that work meeting, and when he came back babby was out and ready to be held.

Ask about availability of epidurals and emergency c-sections and choose somewhere convenient. Don't plan on driving to a far clinic just because they'll allow you in the delivery room.
I plan on prioritizing family over work at just about every opportunity, so even in normal circumstances I don't think I'd let work get in the way... at least for the first one. Maybe I'll feel different for number two. Either way I'll likely be quitting my job around my wife's due date, since we plan on moving from Tokyo to a place closer to my wife's hometown after she gives birth. We haven't yet decided on whether or not she's going to give birth in Tokyo or at home.

She's the one giving birth and not me, though, so her desire for an epidural takes precedence over my complaining about not being able to be present for the birth.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm feeling a bit better about the fact that I might not be able to be present for the birth, but I'm still hoping that things change enough that I'll be able to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Also, Japan knows how to do Halloween.