Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CitizenKain posted:

Ours is a bunch of dumbshit motivational or wellness things for whatever trend is currently floating around HR. One month, the desktop was a image about how its important to not be outside during a lightning storm. What is funny is I think the person who makes these must run at 1024x768 or something, because the image they use is tiny on any decent resolution.
I'm able to change mine at least, but my power settings are managed by GPO, and they are terrible. If I lock my station, it doesn't sit on a lock screen for a bit, after 5 minutes both monitors are set to sleep. Takes forever for them to come back on, and sometimes only one will, and all the windows will be hosed when it comes back.

Yesterday my boss kept popping into my VMware terminal session and loving up the resolution like every 10 minutes for 4 hours. I wanted to loving scream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Did I miss something and Skype got good again? Over here they want to ditch Teams, after using it for months, in favour of Skype. Or is IT just bonkers again?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Did I miss something and Skype got good again? Over here they want to ditch Teams, after using it for months, in favour of Skype. Or is IT just bonkers again?
This does not sound like something IT would push. Unless your IT department is, like, one grizzled old greybeard.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The IT boss also gave me a blank stare a while ago when I mentioned Node.js and Electron as a development platform for the poo poo I’m supposed to code (planning dept, not working for them). That kind of guys.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Skype is getting dumpstered by MS so whoever you’re working with is dumb

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/healthcare-and-life-sciences/skype-for-business-online-end-of-life-july-31-2021/ba-p/779137

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Microsoft is literally about to make it no longer an active product. Whoever is suggesting to go back to Skype is wanting to cause a major outage in corporate communication.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Skype or Skype for Business Online or Skype for Business Server?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Certificates.

No technology makes me feel dumber than certificates.

Like, I understand the concept of a security certificate, but when it comes to implementation it's just beyond me: click this link to download a file. Take that file and put it here. Download the (seemingly) same file, open it, and paste the contents over there. Then download a new file, double click on it to get another file from the first file and upload it to there.

Then, after completing this cargo cult ritual, you still get certificate errors on the device on which you were trying to get rid of certificate errors.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I've found that a rigorous routine of furiously googling and doing whatever a combination of 3-5 different articles says to do will get things working with certs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

i am a moron posted:

I've found that a rigorous routine of furiously googling and doing whatever a combination of 3-5 different articles says to do will get things working with certs.

would you like ft job with HPE support? kindly inbox me pls.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When you can take this openssl s_client command from my hand it will be time for you to manage certificates.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bob Morales posted:

would you like ft job with HPE support? kindly inbox me pls.

Voluntarily exposing myself to a superspreader site doesn't seem like my cup of tea, no.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://twitter.com/jason_kint/status/1339349312694837250

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't wait for the trial to conclude in 2030 and google has to stop making web browsers.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Certificates.

Like, I understand the concept of a security certificate, but when it comes to implementation it's just beyond me: click this link to download a file. Take that file and put it here. Download the (seemingly) same file, open it, and paste the contents over there. Then download a new file, double click on it to get another file from the first file and upload it to there.

Then, after completing this cargo cult ritual, you still get certificate errors on the device on which you were trying to get rid of certificate errors.

Build a 2-tier pki for your lab, then use a certificate from that deployed to a website that your computer can load without issues.

That’s the single exercise that helped me understand certs the most.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

Certificates.

I'm the same way. I've done many cert installations, but it really does feel like a ritual.

Also, I don't really grok how certs work. Like, I understand that this computer I'm using is talking to this other computer over there, and this third computer--that I know and trust--says that everything going on between them is legit. And that means not only is it secure, but if someone were to start looking at what these two computers were saying to each other, the computers doing the communication would be aware of it.

That's loving voodoo. Like, I know that it works, it's just some poo poo that definitely involved animal sacrifice and dancing naked under a full moon at some point.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

That's loving voodoo. Like, I know that it works, it's just some poo poo that definitely involved animal sacrifice and dancing naked under a full moon at some point.

Yep, that’s sounds like math.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Our employee onboarding process is such a clusterfuck. Every department does their own things without coordinating and their idea of "integration" is just blasting email notifications all over the place. Then there's the emails sent by hand. It's just a beautiful tornado of poo poo, none of it useful, and no one has any clue what to do with any of the notifications they receive. So many emails, tickets, planner cards, automated workflows, none of it documented or diagramed or really even discussed. Just A+ beautiful.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

Our employee onboarding process is such a clusterfuck. Every department does their own things without coordinating and their idea of "integration" is just blasting email notifications all over the place. Then there's the emails sent by hand. It's just a beautiful tornado of poo poo, none of it useful, and no one has any clue what to do with any of the notifications they receive. So many emails, tickets, planner cards, automated workflows, none of it documented or diagramed or really even discussed. Just A+ beautiful.

I've been here since June and I still don't have all the access rights necessary to do all my described job duties

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Pissing me off: forgot about the gpresult command line tool in a job interview today. I think I did okay on the other technical questions, but I haven't used that at all (I usually just use the GPO Wizard in the GPO Manager), though I knew it existed at one point.

Blecch. Very competitive job, and one that I very much wanted, too.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
more like permissionlessbastard

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

We had this issue until about a year ago; I reached out to our HR department about it (we had a relatively new HR director, which helped a lot; she was happy to improve processes, never would have happened with the old one). Now, we have a Sharepoint form, it's great.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

We had this issue until about a year ago; I reached out to our HR department about it (we had a relatively new HR director, which helped a lot; she was happy to improve processes, never would have happened with the old one). Now, we have a Sharepoint form, it's great.

This is generally my approach. I've certainly fixed these types of issues in the past, but the situation is a little different at my current job. I'm not responsible for that type of stuff, I'm not involved in the politics, and I don't really want to be. If it had any real impact on me, I might be more inclined, but it's not really my problem.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Thanatosian posted:

I'm the same way. I've done many cert installations, but it really does feel like a ritual.

Also, I don't really grok how certs work. Like, I understand that this computer I'm using is talking to this other computer over there, and this third computer--that I know and trust--says that everything going on between them is legit. And that means not only is it secure, but if someone were to start looking at what these two computers were saying to each other, the computers doing the communication would be aware of it.

Both of your computers already come built in with trust in yet another entity, and blindly trust everything they say (including when the third party gets compromised and attests to something invalidly).

If someone were to start looking at what these two computers were saying, the computers doing the communication would not be aware until the inner contents were opened and read and re-sealed - looking at metadata (pre-eSNI, the destination you are contacting is visible unencrypted in SNI extension) is invisible eavesdropping. A hostile actor can also throw these messages away based on what hostname it is going to.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tactlessbastard posted:

I've been here since June and I still don't have all the access rights necessary to do all my described job duties

Last $AWFUL_JOB didn't give a new programmer a computer for almost 2 months

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

Last $AWFUL_JOB didn't give a new programmer a computer for almost 2 months

I have been locked in a lot of office tower staircases due to not having a badge

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

klosterdev posted:

Forcing everyone to have the same desktop background is really dumb as a concept imo.

People put pictures of their kids, or spouse, or other things important to them all the time that they get to look at while working. It's literally free motivation that the users give themselves. If a couple dumbfucks get caught with inappropriate wallpaper, just make a security group of them, then create a GPO or similar that locks wallpaper to the company logo that kicks in only for users in that security group. If anyone else does it, they go into the security group because they lost their wallpaper privileges and nobody else has to.

I agree with you in theory. In practice, the number of times I've logged in to a system where the user had set some 64x64 profile picture of their SO/kid/pet as their desktop wallpaper in stretch mode so it's just a distorted blur makes me glad that particular client asked for standardized wallpapers a few years back.

I would be OK with it if it could be locked to only allow personalized images to be set to "centered" mode or "shrink to fit". Maybe tiled, but I've very rarely seen tile mode used properly outside of the included tileable images. Usually it's people tiling photos that aren't designed to be tiled.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm going to invent a time machine so I can go back and find out who used cheap cd disc labels on our dvd archive. Not sure what I'll do, but it will be memorable. So far I've found 20 archive discs with labels that either are off center, have bubbles, or are just coming off. Hell, I'd take a poorly written label in sharpie written by someone using their non-dominant hand right now.

On the other hand, we seem to have gotten our Polycom system talking to MS Teams so that is one computer and headache that might be going away soonish.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

poo poo not pissing me off: surprise $50 gift card from work. I think everyone got one, but still.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Agrikk posted:

Certificates.

A cert is like a passport. The cert authority (your country) verified your identity and gave you proof of their trust in that verification by giving you a passport. You now use the password to prove to others that you are you. You don't want to lose your passport because others would pretend to be you to steal from others (alla, losing your secret cert keys).

The entire process of generating certs, cert authorities, and the like are just processes to certify your identity , create a secret key, and make sure they are installed in the systems correctly.

That is my bad analogy for today.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanatosian posted:

Pissing me off: forgot about the gpresult command line tool in a job interview today. I think I did okay on the other technical questions, but I haven't used that at all (I usually just use the GPO Wizard in the GPO Manager), though I knew it existed at one point.

And as a public service announcement, there exists a Resultant Set of Policy too, it's kinda deprecated but it's a GUI for looking at what GPOs took effect and what didn't. gpresult /h is the accepted way, but in a tricky GPO puzzle, the RSOP tool might save your bacon.

Thanatosian posted:

Workday is generally cool for us, except that the implementation hosed up our onboarding process for a year and a half. People accounts would just plain not populate, requiring recriminations, tears , and threats. Last October we brought in a new VP of HR. Her onboarding was as bad as they come for stuff not working. In December we roll out a whole new process because stepping on your tits in front of the new boss like that tends to produce results, one way or another.

And then in March we missed one weekly new hire orientation while we pivoted the process to completely virtual and remote. I'm very impressed with that effort. All told we've onboarded 1400 people this year, counting contractors and external business partners.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Maigius posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: surprise $50 gift card from work. I think everyone got one, but still.

I work at a hospital. I got an $8 gift card to Chick Fil A.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sickening posted:

The entire process of generating certs, cert authorities, and the like are just processes to certify your identity , create a secret key, and make sure they are installed in the systems correctly.

Yeah, but that's the poorly explained and often confusing part of the whole thing. No one ever really includes the CSR part or establishing CA trust in their analogies. :v:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

I work at a hospital. I got an $8 gift card to Chick Fil A.

I was thinking "at least it's a sandwich", it is not

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
https://twitter.com/taterpie/status/1089766416578834432?s=19

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Biowarfare posted:

I was thinking "at least it's a sandwich", it is not

My first thought was "this isn't even enough to get a large spicy combo with a large coke". :mad:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Got a nice fat email from my lead asking why stuff isn't done.

Idk dude, maybe because all the computers put up a fight everytime I go to fix them, and mostly what I end up with is new errors I can't fix and people wanting me to install their licensed software with licenses they never kept track of. Maybe it's because when I go to the users they refuse service because they need the computer the entire day and I don't have anything to give them. Maybe it's because you're asking me to install label printers without providing me label printers and expecting me to be messenger that no, we will not be providing the loving COVID wing a label printer at this time, please wait 4 weeks for a new one to show up. Also have to play whack a mole with whatever engineering pushed out and broke today.

Have you guys ever dealt with SAS? They won't send me the installer because I'm not one of the two designated people. I had it sent to the designated person, who has so far completely ignored all my emails and calls. I use the license they had, and the installer's DRM says nah man, license used too many times. I'm going to call their support tomorrow and chew a manager the gently caress out if I have to.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

wolrah posted:

I agree with you in theory. In practice, the number of times I've logged in to a system where the user had set some 64x64 profile picture of their SO/kid/pet as their desktop wallpaper in stretch mode so it's just a distorted blur makes me glad that particular client asked for standardized wallpapers a few years back.

I would be OK with it if it could be locked to only allow personalized images to be set to "centered" mode or "shrink to fit". Maybe tiled, but I've very rarely seen tile mode used properly outside of the included tileable images. Usually it's people tiling photos that aren't designed to be tiled.

Somewhere in one of these threads I told the story of a user calling up in hysterics says I lost her baby when what I had done was transition her to a new desktop and not restore her wallpaper.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Got a nice fat email from my lead asking why stuff isn't done.

Idk dude, maybe because all the computers put up a fight everytime I go to fix them, and mostly what I end up with is new errors I can't fix and people wanting me to install their licensed software with licenses they never kept track of. Maybe it's because when I go to the users they refuse service because they need the computer the entire day and I don't have anything to give them. Maybe it's because you're asking me to install label printers without providing me label printers and expecting me to be messenger that no, we will not be providing the loving COVID wing a label printer at this time, please wait 4 weeks for a new one to show up. Also have to play whack a mole with whatever engineering pushed out and broke today.

Have you guys ever dealt with SAS? They won't send me the installer because I'm not one of the two designated people. I had it sent to the designated person, who has so far completely ignored all my emails and calls. I use the license they had, and the installer's DRM says nah man, license used too many times. I'm going to call their support tomorrow and chew a manager the gently caress out if I have to.

gently caress dude

i am a PM on a project, gave everyone a two week headsup that we are cutting over, one guy went on vacation and when i reached out to him he said he didnt know we were cutting over.

im pulling favours at this point but no one is doing poo poo on the check list i send out until i follow up. im on the verge of doing daily morning phone calls since no one is doing their task. the one thing that is making me scream right now is that work wasnt completed on one work stream that is expected to be utilized heavily at go live. so when we go live, the product is going to crash and burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Email sent out from the SEVP & CEO of our entire region which encompasses 15+ hospitals to all hospital employees.

You guys have done such a great job all year, you're getting a second holiday bonus deposited on the 18th.

Me to my director, hey boss, no bonus today, sup with that.

Oh we reached out to HR, that email was only for hospital employees, not corporate employees working at the hospital.

So what you're saying is, even though we've been at the hospital all year long, busting our rear end during this pandemic, have been told we're not allowed to go full WFH because when we took the job we knew it was a hospital position, we're not considered part of the hospital even though we worked as much as most of the people in the hospital...

Boss, yeah pretty much.

Me thinks the new year might be the time to look for a new job.