Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Playing Cyberpunk and thinking on Shadowrun, a corporate hell world without cool tech, magic, or dragons sounds right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Full sourcing on the story:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1339405693846216705?s=19

Unfortunately if you believe that kinda thing, he has literally zero recourse after the Congressional confirmation on January 6th and he'll rapidly change his mind. Otherwise, I'd absolutely believe that he'd stick around and get hauled out.

Also possible that CNN is just getting the irritated trumpy sources right now, who knows, that place is a clusterfuck.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Didn’t Pelosi turn down a far better offer back in September or am I misremembering things?

Sort of, but not really. Steve Mnuchin had an offer that ~800 billion larger than the current bill that's being negotiated, but it was dead on arrival since there was no chance in hell the Senate would actually vote for it, and it was questionable if Trump himself would even sign it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PookBear posted:

we're going to have an anti-president

This is pretty good. Almost as good as the Obama birth certificate.

and it's more believable

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looking like there's *another* outbreak in the White House. Pompeo was whisked into quarantine, now I think we know why:

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1339411433600274433

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

PookBear posted:

we're going to have an anti-president

ah, Palm Beach: the Avignon of the US

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So I'm kinda late to this discussion but I worked for the SBA up until this summer and was part of the disaster loan/ppp rollout. I know a lot about the program, including the ugly and the good.

cerebral posted:

In order to apply for forgiveness for that sub $50k loan, I had to provide basically everything even remotely related to payroll records for last year and this year, my taxes, and every single cancelled check I wrote to an employee for the time the loan covered. A bit of a pain in the rear end for a small business, but certainly worth it. (Assuming they approve it and it gets forgiven, which should happen in roughly 90 days)

My question is, is that same level of scrutiny being applied to all businesses that got a PPP loan, and if the answer is no, then why the gently caress not?

So this is the crux of why the PPP was insanely bad. The answer is no. Absolutely not. No way. Not even slightly. Not the least.

Every PPP lender gets the choice to distribute the program however they want with basically no liability involved. If the SBA rejects a loan for whatever reason all of the liability also devolves entirely down to the business owner. Oh the lender also gets paid by SBA a flat fee for every "you have no liability for this loan whatsoever" ticket that they print.

Some lenders are strict with everyone. Some lenders don't give a gently caress and require nothing. Some lenders have a "white glove" approach and only processed loans for their favorite customers and asked them for nothing. There's no visibility into who, why, or what. Some lenders loving went bonkers and wrote very insane extra terms into the loan agreements to make it harder for a business owner to qualify for forgiveness than the program required and more likely to owe money back to the bank (sup Wells Fargo). If the business goes bankrupt because of covid and bounced from forgiveness those lenders will get to sweep up the assets of the business.

The other insane bit is that the size of the loan is dependent on the size of an applicant's payroll. How does one define payroll? Because of the way the program was rolled out there are probably 150 interpretations. Some of those interpretations are very strict. Some are comically broad. The lender decides and you can bet the bigger the client the nicer the definition employed.

You have situations where a business that employed contractors claimed every contractor as an employee and all of those contractors independently applied for themselves too. You have business owners that fired their employees and cranked their own salary up to the max allowable and hired family to distribute the rest. You have churches able to apply, who don't have to file taxes or report payroll to anyone able to make up fantasy numbers with no way to verify. One of the largest beneficiaries in the bay area is the loving catholic church for example.

Iain posted:

I guess I don't understand. Wasn't the stipulation for the PPP loan that you not fire people? These companies that fired people will have to pay it back right? Didn't some airliner fire a bunch of people like hours after getting their loan?

I assume they have some way of getting around it? Or at least passing the bill onto the consumers somehow while retaining less of a workforce? :shrug:

Nope. If you take the loan and fire everyone and only spend it on rent or something the worst that happens is whatever you didn't spend on payroll converts into a 1% loan. Good deal!

You only need 60% of the PPP to go towards payroll. Originally it was 75% and that was subsequently watered down. We also were very clear that if you try to hire back an employee and they turn down the hire because they earned more on expanded unemployment that the business owner needs to report the employee to the unemployment office and get them cut off from benefits.

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009
Awesome rundown thank you!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Here's the good about the program:

It got money out to lots of people quickly, if chaotically, and we structured the fees so that loans under $250,000 earned banks the most money. Online lenders were shut out completely for a while, but once they got in the game very very small loans started going out pretty quickly too. Because every lender was different you got to see folks specialize and stand up applications for niche industries that never would have been reached easily before (Uber drivers/gig economy workers, non-english speakers, etc.)

There were better, cheaper ways to accomplish this though. It went the way it did because lenders got to eat at the trough.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

slorb posted:

I think PPP money should only go to business owners that are 1) a Pell Grant Recipient who 2) starts a business in a disadvantaged community and 3) manages to keep that business afloat for at least three years.

You forgot that loans forgiveness caps at twenty thousand dollars.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Gonna form my own little corporation so I can cash in on occasions like these in he future. There will undoubtedly be more

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The PPP was designed in a way that allowed unscrupulous business owners to take advantage with no real recourse, and that wasn't an accident. Not to mention the outright corrupt administration of the program.

Just because something could have been worse doesn't mean it was good.

Nah. It was designed around the needs of the banks more than anything else. While big businesses could and did participate, $10 million to the Golden State Warriors or an airline is ultimately a drop in the bucket.

The truly corporate-sized businesses had their own program

PookBear posted:

giving businesses money so that a percentage of that goes towards the employees is stupid as gently caress when you could just give employees money directly

Absolutely. There should have been a much larger regular stimulus check via direct one time payments from the IRS.

For businesses the program could have focused on the issues they don't have control over such as rent, debt, or revenue loss.

A fundamental issue at hand with supporting paychecks via employers is that employers see payroll as a cost to be minimized wherever possible - especially when sales dry up. It's the most demand responsive expense an business owner can make to changes in revenue (their rent and fixed costs can't immediately be changed...but if nobody shows up you can cut the workers and send them home early).

mlmp08 posted:

PPP, even if it were perfect, wasn't designed as investment capital for NEW businesses, though? And gently caress #3, shitloads of businesses go under just because of mass market forces that screw them over, not just from owner looting the coffers.

Not designed that way, but some businesses were able to use it that way. Kinda depended on whether the lender was willing to white glove you through that process or not.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 17, 2020

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This loving piece of poo poo supposedly tolerated bounties on US troops, and now we have the largest hack in history, on his watch, by Russia, and he says NOTHING.

gently caress this piece of garbage president, and gently caress every single person that supports him.

I personally don't think he's a Russian plant, I think he's a cowardly buffoon, but the important thing is, you can't tell the difference between the two. He wouldn't have done one single thing differently, had he been a russian plant with orders to weaken and destabilize the United States.

Burn the republican party down to the loving ground.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MrMojok posted:

This loving piece of poo poo supposedly tolerated bounties on US troops, and now we have the largest hack in history, on his watch, by Russia, and he says NOTHING.

gently caress this piece of garbage president, and gently caress every single person that supports him.

I personally don't think he's a Russian plant, I think he's a cowardly buffoon, but the important thing is, you can't tell the difference between the two. He wouldn't have done one single thing differently, had he been a russian plant with orders to weaken and destabilize the United States.

Burn the republican party down to the loving ground.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

Gonna form my own little corporation so I can cash in on occasions like these in he future. There will undoubtedly be more

I wish we treated people like corporations. Imagine being able to write off all food, rent, and utilities as operating expenses

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

PookBear posted:

I wish we treated people like corporations. Imagine being able to write off all food, rent, and utilities as operating expenses

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PookBear posted:

I wish we treated people like corporations. Imagine the State of Texas enthusiastic about executing corporations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PookBear posted:

Every person itemizing every meal is probably a barrier of labor and record keeping to the non wealthy, and the wealthy would have increasing deductions available for meals, their $100,000 condos, second apartments, and for leaving the lights on.

Sounds like instead, you want to increase the standard deduction.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Macron got the Roni

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-french-president-emmanuel-macron-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-12165240

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

His wife would catch it only if it were COVID-15.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

holy poo poo

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Holy poo poo :laffo:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/LLW902/status/1339587641692409864?s=20

Everytime I see that Lionel Hutz meme, it always gets me that we missed out on so many years of a generational talent that was Phil Hartman because of Andy Dick

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What was Andy Dicks' role in Phil Hartmans' wifes' murder/suicide? I've not heard this before.

Not defending Andy Dick, but I'll always love In The Army Now.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Jon Lovitz and Rand Paul's neighbor are both in the "didn't go far enough" club.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I had to look up why this was funny and :stonk:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/LLW902/status/1339587641692409864?s=20

Everytime I see that Lionel Hutz meme, it always gets me that we missed out on so many years of a generational talent that was Phil Hartman because of Andy Dick

Oh yeah I saw that editorial, advocates permanent US presence in Afghanistan. Lots of ink discussing “The Iliad” to show he put a lot of thought into this. He seems to think low recent US casualties mean Afghanistan is now a stable nation and the peace deal is totally going to hold up. There's another article today about how magnetic bomb attacks are skyrocketing, as the Taliban is a very serious partner in peace talks. "He should emphasize how our presence in Afghanistan stabilizes the region and assures U.S. interests abroad." Noted stable region of the world: the Middle East. Zero mention of the mass corruption exposed in WaPo last year, how the Afghan government has continued to lose control of provinces, and how despite endless billions spent the army is still ineffective with thousands dead this year and dependent on US air strikes.

quote:

It’s time to tell veterans that it’s over, that they (and we) no longer need to live in a state of perpetual war; for service members still deploying to Afghanistan, it is time to clarify that they are no longer prosecuting a war but advancing a peace. And who knows, if handled correctly, it might be the first step in ending our perpetual wars at home, too.

What does this even mean? Telling the military they'll have to stay in Afghanistan forever but it's not a perpetual war? And this will somehow calm right/left political rancor in the US?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

What was Andy Dicks' role in Phil Hartmans' wifes' murder/suicide? I've not heard this before.

Not defending Andy Dick, but I'll always love In The Army Now.

Dick got Hartman's wife back on coke and a coke bender led to her murder / suicide event. And iirc the cause : effect was in like the same loving day.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ahhh. Okay.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Spoggerific posted:

I had to look up why this was funny and :stonk:

:aaa:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What does this even mean? Telling the military they'll have to stay in Afghanistan forever but it's not a perpetual war? And this will somehow calm right/left political rancor in the US?

The implication is that afghanistan is a posting on par with germany, a nation we are not at war with but maintain a permanent military presence in. Homedude probably thinks we maintain a permanent presence because of the aftermath of wwii.

And it will make the left(ie liberals) happy if we aren't at war anymore, which obviously means they will stop resisting the GOP

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Dick got Hartman's wife back on coke and a coke bender led to her murder / suicide event. And iirc the cause : effect was in like the same loving day.

He also said to Jon Lovitz ”I put the Phil Hartman hex on you, you’re next” which prompted Lovitz to slam Dick’s head into a hotel bar.

So yeah, Lovitz didn’t go far enough.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Last thing I saw Andy Dick in (that I remember) was that wife swap show where he was living in a trailer in his driveway because his wife was sick of his poo poo.

Even then, that show was above him.

Honestly surprised he wasn't on that TruTv show that has all the great gently caress ups of the 80s/90s on it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pantslesswithwolves posted:

He also said to Jon Lovitz ”I put the Phil Hartman hex on you, you’re next” which prompted Lovitz to slam Dick’s head into a hotel bar.

Iirc Lovitz regrets that incident.

He agrees he didn't go far enough

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Do it again Uncle Jon!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Oh yeah that story is why I will always love and respect Jon Lovitz despite only ever liking a couple of his characters and despising most of them.

Also I found it, guys, the dumbest tweet:

https://twitter.com/mrlevine/status...ingawful.com%2F

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Oh yeah that story is why I will always love and respect Jon Lovitz despite only ever liking a couple of his characters and despising most of them.

Also I found it, guys, the dumbest tweet:

https://twitter.com/mrlevine/status...ingawful.com%2F

Hahaha walk past my MegaCorp's parking lot and there are many giant pick-up trucks used as primary commuter vehicles for 50 mile round trips. They tend to park within the lines and don't cause problems but wouldn't be my first choice.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Pictured: a real manly man who does hard work with his hands, and hauls stuff in his truck