Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Zore posted:

Are they getting rid of the damage cap? I really hate how that made all the 'big hit' classes utterly worthless compared to the ones that got multiple attacks in the first two games. Especially with how quickly you rammed into it.

Counterpoint: you can take my quad wielding ninja with that passive that ramps up your damage for each extra attack you make from my cold, dead hands. (Also they were running hawkeye secondary and I had a patissier on hand to supply weaknesses.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

In the first game I had mgrgr lady as a Pirate with some absurdly powerful axe and some attack that always hit for max damage combined with a BP battery mage casting position/esuna over and over or whatever the crazy combo was.

Anyway it owned but I couldn’t get into Bravely Second.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zore posted:

Are they getting rid of the damage cap? I really hate how that made all the 'big hit' classes utterly worthless compared to the ones that got multiple attacks in the first two games. Especially with how quickly you rammed into it.

You could also make the crazy nonsense super stacking builds that got to bypass the damage cap and hit for millions of damage.

...and then your friends used your friend move (or whatever it was called in BD1) to OHKO the super bosses in the rebuilt town. :black101:

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Harrow posted:

The pseudo-ATB meter is a weird choice for displaying turn order in a non-ATB game when they could've just had an FFX-style turn order display, but I can sorta see what they're saying about giving the player too much knowledge about when enemy turns are coming potentially making the brave/default system too powerful.

They did it in Octopath and it kicked rear end...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The turn order bar in Octopath was definitely a big help in doing stuff like kill the adv job bosses in the 30s. and beating down on high level fights in general.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Well, well, well

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1339413038731042818?s=21

Who didn’t see this coming? I’m gonna grab it tomorrow.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The turn order bar in Octopath was definitely a big help in doing stuff like kill the adv job bosses in the 30s. and beating down on high level fights in general.

I remember being so irked when I had a strategy that was working flawlessly in Bravely Default, only for it to turn out that due to speed variances the boss actually went before me sometimes. An FFX style turn counter to let me prepare for that would be so, so nice.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You can download the demo by searching for Bravely, going to the main game page and there's a button there.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
can you not change the order of your party members anymore? :negative:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Just downloaded the demo and was just checking out the abilities and I’m now convinced the people who are making this don’t understand the game they are making. Some physical abilities now cost a percentage of HP, usually 10 or 15%. You can Brave four times and leave your character almost dead. Was this how the last demo was? Because this seems crazy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ethiser posted:

Just downloaded the demo and was just checking out the abilities and I’m now convinced the people who are making this don’t understand the game they are making. Some physical abilities now cost a percentage of HP, usually 10 or 15%. You can Brave four times and leave your character almost dead. Was this how the last demo was? Because this seems crazy.

Depending on how good those abilities are that seems fine

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Ethiser posted:

IRIC, from the last few demos, some of the abilities were higher tier unlocks.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ethiser posted:

It comes in handy sometimes.

What does the triangle with !! mean? At first I thought it was the enemy defaulting but it doesn't seem to match up

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It means they are going to attack soon, they did that in lieu of an actually telling you the turn order.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It means they are going to attack soon, they did that in lieu of an actually telling you the turn order.

I don't understand why we can't get turn order in a game in 2020

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it just seems wrong that you don't choose everybody's moves all at once anymore

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They added a little info box that explains what ever you have selected menus which is really nice and helpful, but the rest of the UI wasn’t designed with it in mind so it covers up stuff sometimes, mainly when looking at equipment. In shops it can be hard to tell to tell the effects on a character if the item has a longer description and the same thing happens in the equipment menu.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ethiser posted:

They added a little info box that explains what ever you have selected menus which is really nice and helpful, but the rest of the UI wasn’t designed with it in mind so it covers up stuff sometimes, mainly when looking at equipment. In shops it can be hard to tell to tell the effects on a character if the item has a longer description and the same thing happens in the equipment menu.

you can press the stick to hide or show the info box

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Your Computer posted:

you can press the stick to hide or show the info box

Nice, assumed there was a way to turn it off, but I couldn’t find a button.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't understand why we can't get turn order in a game in 2020

If you watch the video about the feedback they got from the first demo, they thought it would make the game too easy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you watch the video about the feedback they got from the first demo, they thought it would make the game too easy.

I saw that, but this is an RPG in 2020, all of them are too easy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can sort of understand the justification for a turn order tracker making the game too easy in this case. Sure, it doesn't make other games with turn trackers too easy, but the difference with a Bravely game is that you can spend a resource to take extra actions on a character's turn. That wasn't the case in Octopath Traveler, for example, where BP are instead spent to power up the character's one action. My guess is that giving the player perfect knowledge of the upcoming turn order combined with the Brave system to make it too easy to prioritize targets and shut enemies down at exactly the right time.

Sure, most JRPGs these days are too easy, but I'd really prefer if a Bravely game wasn't. I had a blast in Bravely Default and a big part of that was because it provided enough challenge that I actually had to care about job/ability setups on a level beyond "I guess I'll just use whatever looks cool because the game is easy enough that it doesn't matter"

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it just seems wrong that you don't choose everybody's moves all at once anymore

Haha wait what? I haven't had a chance to check out the demo yet. How does the game determine who goes first then? Is it stat based (speed?) or something? I will download it later but I am super curious. I can't even visualize how it works, you just pick as their order comes up and you have no idea what that is? I must be misunderstanding this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Gunslinger posted:

Haha wait what? I haven't had a chance to check out the demo yet. How does the game determine who goes first then? Is it stat based (speed?) or something? I will download it later but I am super curious. I can't even visualize how it works, you just pick as their order comes up and you have no idea what that is? I must be misunderstanding this.

Yeah, it's speed. I don't know what other JRPGs you're familiar with but think, like, a Persona game or Dragon Quest XI. (Incidentally, Dragon Quest made a similar switch with XI--in previous Dragon Quest games, you gave orders to your whole team at once, but in XI you do it as each character's turn comes up.)

That said, Bravely Default 2 has little meters under each of your party members' HP/MP bars that show you how close they are to their next turn, and show alert symbols over enemies if their turn will come next (before any of your characters). It looks like an ATB meter from a Final Fantasy game except the game is actually turn-based rather than filling the meter in real time.

I... don't really like it for a Bravely game, and I think it's all down to "feel" more than anything. I really liked inputting my whole team's commands at once in Bravely Default/Second and I thought it worked really well with the Brave/Default system. It made it really quick to input commands and go. Having to do it one character at a time, as their turn comes up, feels clunkier. I don't have a problem with it in other games--like I think Persona 5's combat is a lot of fun--but when combined with the Brave/Default system it feels awkward.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 17, 2020

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Ok cool, thanks for clarifying. I figured it was something like that but was having trouble imagining the mechanics in a Bravely game. It sounds...not great to be honest but I will check it out later tonight.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ah, I never would have guessed that.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
With the game's release this month I downloaded the demo and played for an hour. The art style is very pretty and I'm not to miffed by the gameplay changes.

Not a fan of the weight restrictions. That's not something I've seen before in a JRPG. It feels very alien to get a better now, but have it drop all your characters stats because it's also heavier.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Played through a part of the Demo and I sort of liked it. I especially like that there are difficulty options just in case I don't want to spend too much time in menus looking at what gear to use and what not. I think I might pick this up.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

No reviews yet make me slightly nervous but it is too late to cancel my pre-order so here is hoping.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

^burtle posted:

No reviews yet make me slightly nervous but it is too late to cancel my pre-order so here is hoping.

It's not uncommon for review embargos to last until the day before release or so. Here is a video from Nintendo Life to tide you over for now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9isYUpf-EQ

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Just saw on Twitter that Famitsu gave this game a 36/40, if their scores still matter to people.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Was the review embargo supposed to be up today? Aside from famitsu I've seen nothing

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Was there a Forage command in the first two games? If there's a way to sell items it seems insane in this. I'm headed back to town after doing the first dungeon and I'm rolling in items.

Game seems pretty cool so far. Runs kind of bad even docked, but the voice work and music are amazing and I like the combat system.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
My favorite turn based RPG in recent memory was FFX, and its no coincidence that FFX also gave you perfect information about the situation via an incredibly robust and flexible turn chart.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The Bee posted:

My favorite turn based RPG in recent memory was FFX, and its no coincidence that FFX also gave you perfect information about the situation via an incredibly robust and flexible turn chart.

It's also become a kind of gold standard for the UI of more modern turn-based games with similar turn order delay mechanics.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

fadam posted:

Was there a Forage command in the first two games? If there's a way to sell items it seems insane in this. I'm headed back to town after doing the first dungeon and I'm rolling in items.

I'm pretty sure forage wasn't a thing in the other games. And yes, it's pretty bonkers, at least in the early game. I guess we'll have to see if you start finding more valuable loot in higher level areas. If you do, money sure won't be a problem.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I can’t decide if I want to get all my guys to Max rank of the first class just for the JP passives or if I want to start specializing now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Seeing a lot of "more of the same, nothing to write home about" in the reviews. Eh.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wasn't this the one where they wanted to let the "haven't played an RPG in 30 years" folk have a go? Or was that the first one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

more of the same

hell, I wish :pray: