Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009
As far as "big drones are big scary", a buddy of mine started with a huge Octo, the FC went stupid on landing, and it ripped huge holes in his SUV's sheet metal with the CF props. The broken drone sits in the corner of his basement as a reminder.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I used to have a big quad with big 8” props on it and it was literally like a flying chainsaw. I was so worried to fly it anywhere remotely populated.

I eventually just got rid of it

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I think I've come around to the earlier suggestion to build a modern mid-sized quad. Tarot seems to have a bad name. What's a good kit to start with? Say I wanted to replicate the flight characteristics of a mavic mini but with a pixhawk and 4 cameras. A https://www.mapir.camera/collections/survey3/products/survey3n-camera-orange-cyan-nir-ocn-ndvi (76g), a https://shop.holybro.com/px4flow-kit_p1035.html (?g), an https://irlock.com/products/ir-lock-sensor-precision-landing-kit (21.5g), a https://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/blackbird-2-3d-fpv-camera.html, I don't mean this for seed spreading . This is for me to get a handle on building a quad that can hover and land reliably. What would be the smallest platform I could build around carrying >100g of cameras for 25 ~ 30 minutes at a steady 1 m/s? I know it's going to be more than 250g and I'll just have to get a drone license. But at least I live in class G airspace.

Am I asking too much of a pixhawk to talk to multiple sensors and operate a survey camera? Say I wanted to build something that could autopilot itself around and build/update a map while I swing the gimbal around and look at things. I mean, long term I would be better off with a survey drone for looking at trees and stuff and maybe a big drone for seed spreading. Or maybe hire a guy for seed spreading. But I don't need a huge drone for hauling sensors. Seed spreading is an intermittent activity. Monitoring is an ongoing activity.

Artistically speaking, I think it would be neat if I could take exactly the same aerial photo every day from the same point in space looking at exactly the same tree, and then make a timelapse of the seasons. I would like to watch a maple tree do its thing for a year. Can I ask for such precision? Is it too much? I think my mavic mini could do it, but it won't let me assign waypoints.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tarot does not have a bad name. I'm not sure where you're getting that from?.
People don't tend to buy kits. They source the components they need from different suppliers.

Read the forums, docs and blogs on ardupilot.org
RCGroups will have a ton of build threads too.

You can get decent flight characteristics from a pixhawk, but it wont be anywhere near as good as a mavic mini. Not without a lot of work and careful selection of components.
You will, however, get a lot more freedom. Optical flow and irlock has no real practical use and no, you will not get the sense and avoid capability that a DJI drone has.

A Tarot 650 has been a good base model for years:
https://www.foxtechfpv.com/tarot-650sport-quadcopter-with-auto-landing-gear-p-1797.html
https://rotorbuilds.com/build/10864

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I found a website sell that drone which claims it'll lift 1.5kg. https://uavsystemsinternational.com/collections/all/products/tarot-650-ready-to-fly-drone If that isn't bullshit it meets my payload requirements. My battery operated seed spreader weighs 905g with 4AA batteries in.

Thank you for all the advice.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
You could replace the seed spreader batteries with a BEC or other wizardry to shave off some weight.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

I found a website sell that drone which claims it'll lift 1.5kg. https://uavsystemsinternational.com/collections/all/products/tarot-650-ready-to-fly-drone If that isn't bullshit it meets my payload requirements. My battery operated seed spreader weighs 905g with 4AA batteries in.

Thank you for all the advice.

That's actually fairly reasonable, although I'd argue that some of the Chinese made flight controllers are better than the ones from mRo. (Which they're using on that one). I'd contact them amd make sure that you can get the range you need with your payload.
You also still need to factor in $300+ for a FPV setup, or more if you want digital video.
The new Fatshark Shark Byte system looks promising for easy to use digital FPV.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Actually if you guys want to go over my shopping list that would be great! As it stands I've let helipal website's tarot drone webpage pick out everything for me. How does that compare to a generic 600mw vtx (TS5828L which I've just noticed I can get for $10 cheaper on amazon), and a FXT Viper ( http://www.helipal.com/fxt-viper-5-8-ghz-fpv-goggles-w-dvr.html ) ?

I still haven't figured out how to put my chosen camera on a gimbal. You know the one. https://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/blackbird-2-3d-fpv-camera.html Are there digital video transmitters? If you were just getting started now would you definitely go digital?

Also ISDT makes the best chargers confirm/deny?

I figure a 2000mah 2S lipo and an ebay buck converter weigh about the same. Which is better in lieu of 4AAs? Or is there a lighter BEC option?

Here is the shopping cart as it stands
code:
Tarot 650 Sport Quadcopter Build Kit
- Battery 2 X Storm 6S (22.2V) 4200mah 20C LiPo
- Battery Charger No, I don't need it
- Cable Pack 1 X Multi-rotors Wire Pack (LE-0089A)
- Camera Gimbal 1 X Tarot T4-3D Brushless Gimbal for GoPro (3-Axis)
- Flight Controller 1x CUAV Pixhack V5 nano Small Flight Controller
- FPV Monitor 1X Skyzone 02X
- GoPro Camera Cable Airy GoPro HERO 3 / 4 Video Cable
- Power Combo Tarot 7kg AUW (1.75kg/arm) Combo
4x Tarot 4114 brushless motor (320kv)
2x Tarot 1555 High Strength Plastic Propellers Set (Foldable / CW + CCW)
4x Hobbywing XRotor 40A-OPTO ESC
- RC Controller FrSky Taranis X9D Plus Tx + R-XSR Receiver
- Video Transmitter TS5828L 600mw VTX (Inner Pin)
At $ 2875.22 the total cost is similar to a phantom 4 2.0 on amazon canada at $2,748.95 (https://www.amazon.ca/DJI-Phantom-Pro-V2-0-White/dp/B07CXX9WL1?th=1) . The phantom 4 is a drone that I seriously think about. But it's never going to let me put a 3D camera on it, even with its fancy global shutter.

Or would you suggest buying from the guys in Calgary etc. ? I've been in contact with them and they seem legit but they charge a bit for assembly over the price of parts. Their drone is $3000 and hasn't a camera for example. I'm sure they could help me come up with a gimbal for the 3D camera. But I'm not sure if that's a problem I want to solve with $500.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 25, 2020

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I haven't had anything to contribute yet, but I am enjoying following your process DreadLlama. Please keep us all along for the ride!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Uhh if I needed like 40' of 15mm OD carbon tube, and 5' of 15mm inside diameter carbon tube, where would be a good place to look for

1) quality product
2) reasonable prices
3) can ship in less than 2 weeks

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

Actually if you guys want to go over my shopping list that would be great.

I'm on the road and phone posting.:
Tarot gimbals are old tech.
Unfortunately the diy/consumer market is dead when it comes to gimbals.
Gremsy is your next best option but price tag is much higher.
Also, at the price tag, get a better fc and gps.
The CUAV v5 mini with CUAV gps is a much better option and far more future proof.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Just to confirm that's this right?

https://store.cuav.net/index.php?id_product=98&rewrite=cuav-v5-nano-flight-controller-with-neo-gps-&controller=product

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33050770314.html

Is there a known best source for electronics shopping online? I've tried banggood twice and got burned both times. (One time a drone drone literally caught fire on video and they refused to pay shipping for a new one). So, gently caress banggood, pardon me.

edit:

https://docs.px4.io/master/en/flight_controller/cuav_v5_nano.html posted:

Purchase
CUAV Aliexpress (opens new window)(international users)

Aliexpress apparently.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 22, 2020

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Splode posted:

I haven't had anything to contribute yet, but I am enjoying following your process DreadLlama. Please keep us all along for the ride!

I hope you do not mind my double post. Something that I don't know is how to connect flight controller to a telemetry module. I know I don't know how to do that. I don't know whether there's an additional intermediate module that needs to go between them, or a jumper that needs to be crossed or some software thing, I don't know. It's just a big hole in my knowledge. Speaking of, there's a phrase I've heard called "secrets that everyone knows" which is stuff that everybody knows, so does not feel the need to talk about, because everyone already knows about it. So it might feel like common knowledge to experienced people in a group, but relative newbies might have no idea it exists. That brings me to this thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Skyzone-Diversity-Goggles-Tracker-Support/dp/B07VL24JZD/

It's fpv goggles that can aim your camera gimbal. What's more, they are not unique. There is a category of things that allow you to control the direction of a camera with your head. Here is a video explaining the concept: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sQ9o8m6TMM

Have you ever imagined something to yourself and afterward thought, "There's no way humankind could ever build such a thing. I should be more serious." But then you look anyways and find it for sale on amazon? They even come in my favourite colour. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33039471198.html

I hope that someone else can move this kind of thing out of their unknown unknowns category. But this brings me to a second question. Having only just discovered this technology, I have no idea where it lies on the price vs. jank scale. There's a sort of inverse relationship between how good something is vs. how cheap it is. I would love any recommendations anyone has for this kind of goggle that lies near the sweet spot(ß).

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Skyzone 02X? They're the fpv goggles I use! I haven't used the head tracking feature personally, but I can recommend those goggles!

Those are in fact the sweetspot and have been the best mid range goggle for quite awhile.

When you say telemetry, what do you have in mind? Some radio receivers send (some*) telemetry back to the transmitter, others don't. You can send telemetry data of any kind back through the fpv link stream overlaid on the video. Flight controllers do this by intercepting the signal between the camera and video transmitter (vtx).

I'm not sure how more sophisticated aircraft like you're dealing with send back the telemetry, as I've only got experience with racing drones running betaflight.

*Transmitter telemetry is limited to the radio link quality, so your controller can warn you the signal is low. It can't tell you anything else like battery voltage or altitude or what have you.

Splode fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 25, 2020

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I'm trying to get how much battery I have left to display on something that I'm looking at. The mavic mini does it seamlessly my experience when I tried to build it myself was something like this: The telemetry thing is its own module with wires that connect to both the ardupilot and the an intermediate module that connects to the video transmitter. I think this is the OSD. My problem was getting the OSD and telemetry to talk. The vtx and rtx worked fine. The FC could talk to the computer via usb and confirm that it was reading battery voltage from the power module. But the The Cheerson CX-20 did not have a display on its controller and did not display remaining battery. But hopefully spending money on an FrSky controller will make this a problem I used to have.

Thank you for the recommendation on the Skyzone 02X. They seem highly rated on youtube but I haven't watched enough reviews to know who the shills are. Goon opinions count for a lot.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

They happen to be on sale right now, too. Lucky you!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1s8ogOSwqBx0AXPblaqMDXuy9i2xdbrGG2vZ07ZyI9-o/htmlview
(You'll have to scroll down a bit)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
How hard would it be to add FPV to an RC Car?
Is there like a camera/battery/transmitter/goggle set that can just be velcro'd onto whatever you want?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

deong posted:

How hard would it be to add FPV to an RC Car?
Is there like a camera/battery/transmitter/goggle set that can just be velcro'd onto whatever you want?

I haven't seen a kit with everything, but you can get all those things individually and set up should be pretty easy.

You can get all-in-one camera + 5.8 GHz modules for less than $20. You'd just need to power it (i think most take 5V)

Then you need a 5.8 Ghz video receiver / goggles. Most goggles come with the receiver built in. You can get a 5.8 Ghz receiver that plugs into a phone, that's the absolute cheapest way I've seen to get an fpv video feed, but it's obviously pretty poo poo compared to decent goggles.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It is very doable. In my experience strapping a GoPro to RC cars, the video is super hard to keep smooth. Between the motor and drivetrain vibration, any wheel balance issues and the surface you’re driving on, it’s super shaky

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

There is a kit you can buy with literally everything, but that includes the RC car itself and the controller/transmitter*, so that may not be what you want

*Referring to the controller as a transmitter when all this RC stuff is covered in all sorts of radio transmitters, receivers and even transceivers is confusing as hell. The thing with knobs you waggle to make your RC vehicle do stuff.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Emax also makes a car that's already FPVed, although it's not like Traxxas quality or anything. It's pretty fun though. $56 for car + controller, or $96 with a basic goggle as well. The goggle is the same as the one that's in the Tinyhawk starter package and is pretty decent. My kids use it to watch my races now.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
That's pretty rad.
I have had a dji mini for about a year, but then just got a losi mini t 2.0. it's been fun but got me thinking of a fpv setup.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

aunt jenkins posted:

Emax also makes a car that's already FPVed, although it's not like Traxxas quality or anything. It's pretty fun though. $56 for car + controller, or $96 with a basic goggle as well. The goggle is the same as the one that's in the Tinyhawk starter package and is pretty decent. My kids use it to watch my races now.

That was the kit I was talking about too. Those emax kits are really unbeatable value for getting into fpv anything. I eventually outgrew the goggles and transmitter that came with my emax tinyhawk kit, but the drone itself is still my favourite to fly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thinking of getting back into small drones a bit. Haven't flown since my Vision 2+ lost video a few years ago.

I like the idea of a <250g due to the registration requirements and stuff. Was leaning towards the original Mini due to some good black Friday sales, but the 2 seems pretty much universally better and worth the extra $$. Seems like a solid little unit from the reviews I've watched on you tube.

Any thoughts?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I own a mavic mini and the mini 2 is enough of an upgrade to tempt me. Occusync support lets you use the dji fpv goggles doesn't it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d find out for sure.

The Mavic Air 2 uses occusync 2.0 and the goggles aren’t supported. Mini 2 is on the same occusync 2.0

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not out of the box at least. Rumors of future capability but :shrug:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-228207-1-1.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the API development access for the Mavic Air 2 has been coming “any day now” for 6 months.

Don’t purchase a mini 2 for the goggle support is what I’m saying. If it gets added down the road, then that’s a bonus

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I've been messing around with a dji spark and will be upgrading for drone mapping stuff later. But all of this has given me an idea. If I get an FPV drone how hard is it to have 2 sets of goggles receiving the same stream? My dad is wheelchair bound and if he could watch while I flew around his property he would love that.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

If you're talking analog FPV it's zero effort, just set both goggles to receive whatever frequency the quad is set to. This is also useful because you can go spectate races, too.

For DJI's FPV stuff I actually have no idea how possible it is since I don't use it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

aunt jenkins posted:

If you're talking analog FPV it's zero effort, just set both goggles to receive whatever frequency the quad is set to. This is also useful because you can go spectate races, too.

For DJI's FPV stuff I actually have no idea how possible it is since I don't use it.

Thanks. The question was vague and was kind of about both. If it would work with my dji stuff thats great and if anyone can clue me in on that I would appreciate it. I have a buddy who does analog fpv stuff so maybe we can borrow some goggles extra goggles and see how it goes. I think it would make my dad really happy since he can't get around the place anymore.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Can't you just tune in a DJI headset to the channel that shows up on the side of the pilot's headset? I thought it was supposed to be really easy to follow people racing and poo poo

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Some goggles might have video out/in, so you could output to a flat panel or another pair of goggles. Barring that, as indicated above, if you have a second compatible device that can receive the video signal you are set.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

not caring here posted:

Can't you just tune in a DJI headset to the channel that shows up on the side of the pilot's headset? I thought it was supposed to be really easy to follow people racing and poo poo

DJI has some convoluted spectator mode, so it is possible, but it's not as easy as analogue goggles

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ma2 owners: dji released the mobile sdk on the 10th. That means a week or so until apps like litchi add MA2 support

:woop:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello Hobbyists and Crafters of all sorts! Our friends from Creative Convention are visiting with their Travelling Showcase of Wonders and they want to see all the cool and fantastic things you've been working on! Go show them off and admire the handiwork of other talented goons!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946255

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I took the MA2 out in some gnarly 30mph winds to film some waves coming in on Lake Michigan. It was nerve wracking but I made it back successfully

https://youtu.be/z0ZJa4JSjFU

Perhaps even more nerve wracking, I went out the next day to chase some large boats I saw on the lake. I saw a tug boat which I assumed was a small-ish boat pulling a couple barges so I thought I’d fly out to see it. Behind it was a huge cargo ship that was much further out.

I knew I was gonna have to go out a ways to get a good shot, but I felt like it was doable. I had a slight tail wind on the way out, so I figured I’d turn back at 60% battery to be safe

I threw it in sport mode, and headed out at a steady 42mph. I got about 12,000 feet out from shore and stopped at about 70% battery, since I’d need to hover for a while to grab some shots.

I took the best shots I could. I was still surprisingly far from the tug and the cargo ship was still way out there. I turned around and headed back. Bad news, I could only make 30mph on the return trip. Now I was worried. I tried climbing and descending a little to get out of the wind but no dice. The wind was everywhere.

I spent what felt like an eternity with the right stick slammed forward watching the distance meter and the battery both tick down.

I made it back with about 13% battery and 3 minutes left, according to the DJI app. I was sweating/swearing the whole way.

But. I got the shots

The cargo ship is in the shot, above the barges that the tug is towing

And the view when I turned around to go home, for reference, that light house is about 3 stories tall

When I landed I popped on the MarineTraffic app to see what the boats were. The tug was 100 feet long. No wonder it seemed much closer! I was assuming it was like 30 feet!! The cargo ship was 1000 feet long and even though I knew I wouldn’t reach it, it seemed much closer

tl;dr: relative scale is weird and our ape brains don’t always understand it

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 16, 2020

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Did you need replacement pants afterwards? 12,000 feet sounds much less impressive than 3.6km, which is pants-shittingly far in my opinion.

Speaking of which, here's a long range drone I found. https://arrishobby.com/-p0972.html Has anyone ever purchased from a store called Arris Hobby? They are Chinese so I assume they're a scam but they have well-spoken customer service. How do you guys test if a vendor is reliable? They also have something that seems like it would be good for tree planting: https://arrishobby.com/arris-e410s-4-axis-10l-agricultural-seed-spraying-fertilizer-spraying-drone-p1488.html

What would you do, buy the $400 one and see if it's good before giving them more money? I'm kind of tempted but on the other hand, does INAV/Betaflight support loiter mode? If not, how hard would it be to stick a CUAV V5 nano flight controller on a drone with an F4 Pro V3 flight Controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Flights out of kenosha..
In the mood to take some video of my dad's boat in the spring? He's out of southport right there.