Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I love :wookie: but I'm not happy Disney! WaaAaalt why won't you give me what I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I love to read Adult Novels particularly when it’s specified that they are Adult Novels.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bongo Bill posted:

Obi-Wan always had an aesthetic appreciation for elegance, and throughout his life, his most important victories were decided in a single stroke after simply biding his time until he was in the right position. He did grow wiser in the desert, but he also grew nostalgic, narrowing the story of his life just to those decisive moments and paring everything else away.

I remember a Clone Wars fight between him, Maul, and Oppress. Kenobi spends most of the fight on the defensive, but he keeps trying to land a kick on Oppress' left knee. When he finally does connect, he's able to escape, because Oppress is done. So let's also credit him with dogged determinism and the ability to execute on a winning stratagem until it pays off..

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Bunch of xenophobes in here. Why can't a wookiee be a Jedi? :v:

VVVVVVV

Holy poo poo, really? I had no idea he personally hated the YJK books so much. Then again, Kevin J. Anderson...

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 17, 2020

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Lucas actually had an explicit rule against it because he thought it was stupid that they did one in the kids books.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 17, 2020

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

well why not posted:

I love to read Adult Novels particularly when it’s specified that they are Adult Novels.

Now sold in Adult Bookstores!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grendels Dad posted:

Now sold in Adult Bookstores!

Do those still exist?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Screw Wookiee Jedi, I want a Jedi who's also a Jawa!

In fact, gently caress it, reveal that the Jawas were Yoda's species under the robes all along!

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

well why not posted:

Pounded in the rear end within 12 Parsecs of the Kessel Run

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

This whole thing about plotting your trilogies in advance is some weird brain worms from the MCU I think. Lucas had plans for Star Wars that were constantly shifting up through ROTJ. He didn’t have some master design that he slavishly adhered to and that’s why it’s a coherent narrative. Plenty of writers/authors manage to write one story after the other without knowing where it’s headed- it’s not terribly difficult or unusual- the MCU approach is much more of an outlier. The failure to plan isn’t why the sequels sucked. They just had lovely writers (or good writers doing a lovely job).

Plenty of detail of the Star Wars films was up in the air, often during filming, but the core relationship between Luke and Vader was always there and the core arc of Vader being redeemed through his son and defeating the Emperor was always there. Everything else in the story is just window dressing around that.

Likewise lets not overegg how 'planned out' the MCU was: they knew they wanted to build up a franchise and make ensemble films. But when they make 'Iron Man' it's clear they've struck lightning with the formula and don't quite realise it - the Thor films in particular are a good example of how the tone of the films quickly and quietly changes to match what audiences respond to. There's also no overarching plot to speak of. They decide early on that their grand finale is going to involve Thanos and the infinity stones in some way, but they only actually decide what that means quite late in the day (which is why you get stuff that's weird like Thanos giving Loki the Tesseract in Avengers). Bit by bit they tell self-contained stories that drop breadcrumbs for follow on writers to pick up if they want, and then about the point of Civil War they've decided what they want to do and start drawing all the threads together more deliberately.

e; the failure to plan is absolutely a reason why the sequels sucked, but also TFA kneecaps the trilogy at the start by not giving Rey a character arc to follow.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Cartoon Man posted:

Jedi Not-Chewie just screams Disney executive meddling. Like the author probably finished a near final version and some mid tier Disney executive said “gently caress that! Put in a fake Chewie with a lightsaber or you don’t get paid!”
As much as I'd love to add more fuel to the "gently caress corporate Disney" fire, the old EU used pretty much every alien shown in the movies as-is(*) as every kind of occupation and made up some of their own ridiculous races (loving Hohass Ekwesh).

I'll take a Wookie Jedi over say, a Hutt ([Beldorion fighting with a lightsaber? :wtc:).

(*) Like if you're going to make a Hutt Jedi, how about making it look different than Jabba in side and girth? A thin, snake-like Hutt as a Jedi? Yeah, I might buy that. But not Not-Jabba in a lightsaber duel with a generic human figure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Old EU (and sometimes new EU) had a really weird and dumb habit of 'a character did x in the movies, therefore every character from their culture does x all the time' like it's a goddamn Star Trek planet of the week.

(ironically, Star Trek EU tends to do the opposite, where a character doing x tends to be assumed to be a bold iconoclast from a culture where x is forbidden)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Old EU (and sometimes new EU) had a really weird and dumb habit of 'a character did x in the movies, therefore every character from their culture does x all the time' like it's a goddamn Star Trek planet of the week.

Cheesus posted:

I'll take a Wookie Jedi over say, a Hutt ([Beldorion fighting with a lightsaber? :wtc:).

The problem isn't a Hutt being a Jedi, the problem is Star Wars treating Jedi the same way they treat every culture: giving every member the same attributes. There should be no reason why there can't be warrior Jedi who build lightsabers and jump around like idiots trying to solve their problems with violence, as well as scholar and philosopher Jedi who don't, and instead spend all their time smoking space opium and arguing about the finer points of the Cosmic Force and the Living Force.

A Hutt Jedi should be able to exist within this universe, but "Jedi" shouldn't have so narrow a definition to force them to wield a lightsaber and go on missions that they're clearly not suited for. The Yoda fight in AotC still stands out as one of the more wrongheaded decisions in the prequels because Yoda has no business jumping around like an idiot trying to solve his problems with violence—prior to that he'd been presented as a nonviolent philosopher. Now yes, I get that Lucas was making a broader point with that, but he could have conveyed the same hypocrisy with Yoda simply allowing for and approving of means-justify-the-ends policies rather than suddenly making him an incredibly spry warrior.

I know The High Republic is just a soulless designed-by-committee product and I shouldn't expect anything good to come of it, but I wish there were someone on that committee advocating for an attempt at tracing back the thematics of the films and showing the Jedi at their least morally compromised during their peak. If they're the exact same as they were in the prequels then there was never a time where the Jedi weren't hypocritical might-is-right warmongers and that's a bummer of missing the point.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Darko posted:

Also why that dumb video that "fixed" the Episode 4 fight was so misguided.

Star Wars fans missing the point? You don't say.

It did give us this though, which is definitely a few minutes too long but you could argue that's part of the joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oQtGCtnF2Y

Ennh. People eat up melodrama all the time. The decade's big moment was someone muttering a phrase from a comic book from 60 years ago while wearing the flag as a costume. A blue dude and a CGI raccoon shared a moment. (although you could argue that the public's appreciation of these sorts of ridiculous genre spectacles is part of what's helped the rehabilitation of the PT).

The problem is the delivery, and at least part of that is up to the director.

The book posted:

When a shocking catastrophe in hyperspace tears a ship to pieces, the flurry of shrapnel emerging from the disaster threatens an entire system. No sooner does the call for help go out than the Jedi race to the scene. The scope of the emergence, however, is enough to push even Jedi to their limit. As the sky breaks open and destruction rains down upon the peaceful alliance they helped to build, the Jedi must trust in the Force to see them through a day in which a single mistake could cost billions of lives.

lol I knew it

Boxman posted:

The Great Disaster is going to be lightspeed ramming and its going to have some stupid taboo about it and someone will offhandedly mention how no one will ever do this in a star war again because we can't have anything left even slightly underexplained

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Boxman posted:

Ennh. People eat up melodrama all the time. The decade's big moment was someone muttering a phrase from a comic book from 60 years ago while wearing the flag as a costume. A blue dude and a CGI raccoon shared a moment. (although you could argue that the public's appreciation of these sorts of ridiculous genre spectacles is part of what's helped the rehabilitation of the PT).

melodrama
/ˈmɛlə(ʊ)drɑːmə/

(noun)
when a character from a comic book is on screen.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I thought there was already a wookie padawan in an episode of the Clone Wars? Why is this a surprise to have one in the new book series? (Note: I'm not going to read the new book series- 90% of star wars books are terrible)

yep: Gungi

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Make every alien in Star Wars a Jedi at some point

Give me a robot Jedi you cowards - make Skippy's great-great-great-great grandfather a main character who passes down his memory core throughout the generations

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Grievous's burned body weeps a single tear for what could have been.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's gonna be hilarious when they do a High Republic trilogy of films and they take place thousands of years before the events of TPM but somehow everything will still be about Sheev and the Skywalkers. And Death Stars.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I want to give Disney enough credit to say they wouldn't be so desperate to try and force Sheev into a prequel set hundreds of years beforehand, but they are probably going to have some Thanos endboss guy they string out over 8 films who is directly responsible for the existence of evil in the story and will suck incredible amounts of poo poo

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

multijoe posted:

I want to give Disney enough credit to say they wouldn't be so desperate to try and force Sheev into a prequel set hundreds of years beforehand, but they are probably going to have some Thanos endboss guy they string out over 8 films who is directly responsible for the existence of evil in the story and will suck incredible amounts of poo poo

Sheev used the dark side to time travel a clone back to this era and orchestrate the hyperspace accident.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Cartoon Man posted:

Sheev used the dark side to time travel a clone back to this era and orchestrate the hyperspace accident.

The Star Wars Lego Holiday Special did time travel as a joke, but it's only a matter of... it'll happen sooner or later.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It doesn't have to literally be Sheev himself, but I'm pretty confident that any new Star Wars films are gonna have some sort of contrived tie-in to Sheev's future plans and/or the birth of Anakin, regardless of now far in the past they're set.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Make a running gag out of Sith Lords always (finally) "dying" to someone with two lightsabers

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/bobafettfanclub/status/1339655911996997632?s=20

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

I swear there was a wookie jedi in the old EU but I can't remember for sure.

George is right about the dialogue. Is "i hate sand" and worse than:

"YOUR FATHER, HAN SOLO"
"They fly now???"
"Somehow palpatine is back."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I swear there was a wookie jedi in the old EU but I can't remember for sure.

Lowbacca, from the Junior/Young Jedi Knights series

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's a Wookiee padawan in Clone Wars; I didn't realize that there was any controversy about that. I thought those episodes were the weakest part of the series, but not because of the Wookiee Jedi.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jewmanji posted:

This whole thing about plotting your trilogies in advance is some weird brain worms from the MCU I think. Lucas had plans for Star Wars that were constantly shifting up through ROTJ. He didn’t have some master design that he slavishly adhered to and that’s why it’s a coherent narrative. Plenty of writers/authors manage to write one story after the other without knowing where it’s headed- it’s not terribly difficult or unusual- the MCU approach is much more of an outlier. The failure to plan isn’t why the sequels sucked. They just had lovely writers (or good writers doing a lovely job).

I think it's more just that Lucas was the one creating the overall story in the OT, and he had an idea of what he was going for even as the specifics kept shifting around- the early drafts of The Star Wars are quite radically different but you can tell he's going for a sense of something, a rhythm, an energy.

By contrast with the sequel trilogy, despite a "story group", you apparently did not have a lot of coordination between the people who were actually making (or in Trevorrow's case going to make) each episode. So J.J. Abrams sees what Rian Johnson came up with for Episode 8 and decides it's mostly wrong, and rapidly tries to steer things back to what HE wants it to be.

I think given the specific setup of this trilogy they really should have had a single big story worked out, Abrams should have already put down answers for the mysteries he set up in TFA instead of doing it as a game of telephone.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I feel like the whole “they should have planned the sequels out at once” criticism is a misdiagnosis of the actual problem, which is that nothing in the sequels commits to anything. There’s a constant, palpable air that the story is willing to immediately renege on everything it does, which it does several times, which robs everything of significance and weight. Rey having parents that were nobodies was a cool idea, for instance, but even on release in the theater I figured they would takeback on it, and I was loving right!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I feel like the whole “they should have planned the sequels out at once” criticism is a misdiagnosis of the actual problem, which is that nothing in the sequels commits to anything. There’s a constant, palpable air that the story is willing to immediately renege on everything it does, which it does several times, which robs everything of significance and weight. Rey having parents that were nobodies was a cool idea, for instance, but even on release in the theater I figured they would takeback on it, and I was loving right!

They didn’t commit to anything because they didn’t plan it out and didn’t retain a single creative team.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I don't think the "planned trilogy" thing would have really helped much. Moving Snoke's death to the third movie doesn't change the fact that the character is just a boring rehash in the first movie. I'd rather have the Last Jedi than three JJ-style films that are unified in their banality and fear of doing anything new. Mapping things out isn't the silver bullet the internet seems to imagine.

Plus you totally know that trilogy details would have leaked and they would have rewritten to zig instead of zag.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Plenty of detail of the Star Wars films was up in the air, often during filming, but the core relationship between Luke and Vader was always there and the core arc of Vader being redeemed through his son and defeating the Emperor was always there. Everything else in the story is just window dressing around that.

Sorry but this is all incorrect. There was no “redemption” arc for Vader all mapped out because a) Lucas didn’t even decide that Vader was Luke’s father until well into ESB, b) Lucas hasn’t even anticipated Vader would be so instantly iconic and he centered him in ESB as a result and c) Lucas didn’t even have a trilogy in mind when he was making ANH. He had tons of different ideas for where the movies might go (from the less audacious, like a much longer series of movies, to the more audacious idea of making disconnected films in the same universe like we’re seeing now). As late as between V and VI Lucas thought he had more sequels in him (Yoda’s line “no, there is another” was meant to tease the reveal of Luke’s sister in Episode VII, VIII, or IX). It became a trilogy because Lucas was literally physically exhausted and having hypertension so he rushed to finish the story in three films.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A work with a coherent vision is something an individual creative figure can produce even if they improvise a lot in the process. But with a group, a plan with a particular ending is a good way to get aligned.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ingmar terdman posted:

I don't think the "planned trilogy" thing would have really helped much. Moving Snoke's death to the third movie doesn't change the fact that the character is just a boring rehash in the first movie. I'd rather have the Last Jedi than three JJ-style films that are unified in their banality and fear of doing anything new. Mapping things out isn't the silver bullet the internet seems to imagine.

Plus you totally know that trilogy details would have leaked and they would have rewritten to zig instead of zag.

It's not a silver bullet so much as the lowest bar you could possibly clear. Things like "who is the ultimate bad guy they are going to fight", "what is Finn's arc", etc are goals you can write toward with a full plan. Although I totally agree that a boring plan still makes for boring movies.

Really tho, regardless of their being plan, someone should have been there to make decisions like "sorry JJ we can't sideline a major character introduced in the previous movie" and "maybe we explore Kylo being the boss of the First Order instead of bringing back another space wizard" just to keep some sort of thematic continuity

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

To build on this: the Force Awakens is three separate storylines sutured together, and The Last Jedi is at least two. You can't really frame things as J.J. Abrams vs Rian Johnson when neither one was able to keep things steady for their own film.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Disney obviously had a plan. Like, that they would do a trilogy of films, that it would be about a new kid Jedi learning from Luke Skywalker, that we would have relatively new factions similar to (but distinct from) the Rebels and Empire, etc.

The issue is that they went with those very broad strokes and, evidently, figured that they could fudge the details - whereas Lucas’ approach was to take specific themes and images, then construct the films around them.

So, like, Lucas may not have known how many films he’d be making, but there was a total certainty that they’d be anti-imperialistic. Disney’s doing the opposite.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

It doesn't have to literally be Sheev himself, but I'm pretty confident that any new Star Wars films are gonna have some sort of contrived tie-in to Sheev's future plans and/or the birth of Anakin, regardless of now far in the past they're set.

I'll be stunned if there's not an eplilogue or ending or denouement or conclusion or stinger scene on tatooine.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah a lot of Lucas's thinking was "Okay, this is the down part, there needs to be some dramatic loss, so Han maybe gets kidnapped?" (Earlier drafts had him leaving on some mission but you can see them deciding something more urgent.)

The big problem with Rise of Skywalker isn't even the retcons (though Rey Palpatine is very stupid), it's that it's this very clumsy pile-on of stuff happening and ham-handed exposition. Palpatine shows up and explains the whole Evil Plan in the first 5 minutes, instead of building up any suspense or mystery, Hux goes traitor on a whim even though he was cast as more the True Believer vs. Kylo wanting to just burn everything, "Poe was a smuggler" like this is supposed to mean anything, there's just no structure.

Space Opera- and Star Wars in specific- is a lot more plot driven than people think, it actually kinda matters how you tell your story and pace it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

They really fixate on poe being a "smuggler" and "spice runner" when it really shouldn't matter, and it really shouldn't surprise anyone. The rebellion is assembled from displaced and disaffected people. They're literally flying han solo's old ship around.

It's like how everyone in the sequels is constantly calling Rey "scavenger" like it's a Dungeons and Dragons class. It's really bizarre, it happens the whole trilogy, and it seems less like lazy writing than them really want to drive that point home