Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Once again, Eastern European Portugal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Germany's and Poland's both seem pretty easy to do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

:poland:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Icelandic word for tank is ,,skriðdreki" or Crawl-Dragon.

Strangely kite is Flight-Dragon and scorpion is Tail-Dragon

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
In French, it's also very common to use "char d'assaut" (or simply "char"), literally an attack chariot.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'm not really sure if I understand this map, but "tanque" in portuguese can mean both the combat vehicle and water container, so we should, again, be together with our Eastern European brothers.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

To no one's surprise, half of Belgium should actually be blue. Rookie mistake, really.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Italy is by far the best here

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Deltasquid posted:

I don't understand North Africa's.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Kassad posted:

In French, it's also very common to use "char d'assaut" (or simply "char"), literally an attack chariot.

"Char" and "Tank" can be used interchangeably in french, so the map is already bad :v:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Chikimiki posted:

"Char" and "Tank" can be used interchangeably in french, so the map is already bad :v:

Same in Danish, "kampvogn" (battle wagon) is the older Danish word that the military probably uses, everyone else says "tank".

Portugal is still Eastern Europe though.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Deltasquid posted:

Italy is perfect :allears:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kassad posted:

In Québec a char is just a car.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Average Lettuce posted:

I'm not really sure if I understand this map, but "tanque" in portuguese can mean both the combat vehicle and water container, so we should, again, be together with our Eastern European brothers.
It's commonly called tank in a lot of the other languages too. They're probably just going by some "official" term. Wikipedia has Carro de combate as the primary term, maybe they made the map based on that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Icelandic word for tank is ,,skriðdreki" or Crawl-Dragon.

Strangely kite is Flight-Dragon and scorpion is Tail-Dragon

And dragon is Flame-Cod

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In Québec a char is just a car.

Taking my chariot to work

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

And dragon is Flame-Cod

It's cod all the way down.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's commonly called tank in a lot of the other languages too. They're probably just going by some "official" term. Wikipedia has Carro de combate as the primary term, maybe they made the map based on that.

"No tenemos ni aviones, ni tanques ni cañones, ¡Ay Carmela! ¡Ay Carmela!"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I wonder how much of that is a recent development brought about due to the omnipresence of American media?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Greg12 posted:

"No tenemos ni aviones, ni tanques ni cañones, ¡Ay Carmela! ¡Ay Carmela!"

read this to the tune of Ayy Macarena! and guffawed

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Taking my chariot to work

Just loving lol if you don't tbh.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

This is from world war 1 when Japan was with the allies so lol at the racism that leads to them seizing way more land than austria-hungary or the ottomans.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This is from world war 1 when Japan was with the allies so lol at the racism that leads to them seizing way more land than austria-hungary or the ottomans.

And Romania, also in the Allies, gets Jamaica?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm down with this. Especially Canada.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There are more Trump voters in California than Texas, more Biden voters in Texas than New York, more Trump voters in New York than Ohio, more Biden voters in Ohio than Massachusetts, more Trump voters in Massachusetts than Mississippi, and more Biden voters in Mississippi than Vermont.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Byzantine posted:

And Romania, also in the Allies, gets Jamaica?
The Netherlands, completely neutral, get most of the Caribbean.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

So who named the Gulf of Hate and related bodies of water? Or are they words of a Prussian-Turconic-Americanese pidgin dialect, which don't mean what their English analogues suggest? Fascinating world, here.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

galagazombie posted:

I wonder how much of that is a recent development brought about due to the omnipresence of American media?

It's been like that since my childhood in the 90s at least. Basically, tanks are a pretty recent thing that you don't see in everyday life*, so you get the term mostly in American media, with no strong cultural reason to prefer the longer Danish word other than "English words are bad", which is a common but ineffective sentiment.

But really, American cultural imperialism started up pretty much right after WWII, which is when tanks became a serious battlefield thing. Add to that the American military presence in Europe, and you can see how it's hard to separate, at least from the tank perspective.

*Unless you lost the birth lottery and/or joined the military.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/apapenheim/status/1339500029741035520

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol everyone takes buses bc it’s overpriced and not that great

E: poo poo that’s the map

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It's a clever map, but those place names could have been more realistic. "Toronto"?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I can't believe Canadian irredentists want North Dakota of all places.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm the lack of rail between Calgary and Edmonton.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm also Regina going to South Dakota instead of on to Winnipeg and Thunder Bay.

I'm also the line running to Isle Royal for ~*~reasons~*~

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/bigcitydinosaur/status/1339569718718574593?s=20

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

The Netherlands, completely neutral, get most of the Caribbean.

What? 'Vestindielandt' if anything, sounds Scandinavian (and even that would more likely be something like 'Vestindilan'). In Dutch it would be 'West-Indië'.

It is true though that the Netherlands were more sympathetic to the Central Powers, but the map maker had a pretty poor understanding of geopolitics, or they expected their audience to just think anyone outside of the greater Entente powers was with the Central Powers somehow.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Last time that map was posted, it was determined to be a parody map. Just mentioning that it should be seen as something out of The Onion of the time, not The New York Times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

BonHair posted:

Last time that map was posted, it was determined to be a parody map. Just mentioning that it should be seen as something out of The Onion of the time, not The New York Times.

If that's what was said last time, I think that's overstating it. From what I can glean online, Life magazine in the period was a humour and general interest magazine, more like Reader's Digest or the New Yorker than The Onion. The editors during WWI were fiercely interventionist, quoth the Wiki:

quote:

This version of Life took sides in politics and international affairs, and published fiery pro-American editorials. Mitchell and Gibson were incensed when Germany attacked Belgium; in 1914 they undertook a campaign to push the U.S. into the war. Seven years studying at Paris art schools made him partial to the French; there was no unbiased coverage of the war. Gibson drew the Kaiser as a bloody madman, insulting Uncle Sam, sneering at crippled soldiers, and shooting Red Cross nurses. Mitchell lived just long enough to see Life's crusade result in the 1917 U.S. declaration of war.

So I don't think it's meant to be parody in the vein of, say, The Onion's Kelly. It's an earnest polemic using exaggeration to make a point it is dead serious about.