Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When the difference between voiced and unvoiced “th” sounds in English is mentioned online and a bunch of idiot monoglot anglophones spill into the place to explain how they definitely don’t have that difference in their local accent.

Really, you’re from Cleveland and you pronounce “thigh” and “thy” identically? No you loving don’t, you just don’t pay attention to the difference because the two sounds are written the same way. It’s like saying you can’t hear the difference between “baby” and “papy”

I think I originally read about this distinction in this thread and one or more people tried to claim they can't hear the difference and I've occasionally thought about that with irritation ever since.

If you can't hear the difference between the "th" in "thank" and "this" then that's odd. I don't think there's any English accent that doesn't differentiate the two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I think I originally read about this distinction in this thread and one or more people tried to claim they can't hear the difference and I've occasionally thought about that with irritation ever since.

If you can't hear the difference between the "th" in "thank" and "this" then that's odd. I don't think there's any English accent that doesn't differentiate the two?

Yeah I wanna know how they think they say "the"

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Guy standing on the sidewalk: "I didn't do a very good job on my WHEAAAAT FLOOOOOR!!! HORATIO OAAAAAT. FRESH OAT AT FIVE O CLOCK. THERE'S A LOTUS IN THE HOCKEY MASK!!"

I loving hate loud people and some people yell just to hear themselves. They act like they'll explode if they go five minutes without screaming.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dip Viscous posted:

Guy standing on the sidewalk: "I didn't do a very good job on my WHEAAAAT FLOOOOOR!!! HORATIO OAAAAAT. FRESH OAT AT FIVE O CLOCK. THERE'S A LOTUS IN THE HOCKEY MASK!!"

I loving hate loud people and some people yell just to hear themselves. They act like they'll explode if they go five minutes without screaming.

My stepmom's dad does this and it is so frustrating. He talks so much louder than anyone else in the room and just kinda opens his mouth and words come out even if someone else is currently in the middle of a sentence. He doesn't even pay attention to the conversation he is interrupting, it's usually something completely irrelevant to the topic. Like... dude, c'mon, have some courtesy please

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I hate that too. Some people are naturally loud and then get mad at you if you ask them to please speak a bit more quietly at midnight when they’re almost shouting. Same with shutting doors way too loudly at night without even trying to be quiet. Like stop, the walls are thin here and my neighbors are cool and I don’t want them to leave :(

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
For what it’s worth talking super loud is often an ADD thing.

Especially when there’s the “hey, why are you so loud” and then they quiet down and then get super loud again ten or fifteen minutes later.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Now there's a guy standing outside next door that sounds eerily similar to Arthur Morgan screaming "LARRY!? THE CHOCLATE RECORDS, LARRY!!" over and over.

Like... dude. I've had to deal with people kicking my door in with the specific intent of killing me because of my race. This is not helping my anxiety at all. And the cool old guy next to me has severe PTSD. And I can't complain to anyone because almost all of my neighbors are like this and think it's a totally normal thing to scream at the top of their lungs at nobody all the time.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

For what it’s worth talking super loud is often an ADD thing.

Especially when there’s the “hey, why are you so loud” and then they quiet down and then get super loud again ten or fifteen minutes later.

That’s good to know, thank you. :unsmith:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Note to baby-havers: anything designed to relax or soothe a baby will instead awaken and enrage them

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HOLY gently caress posted:

That’s good to know, thank you. :unsmith:

I have ADD and tinnitus so not yelling all the time takes some major effort.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

What happened to shows dropping a whole season at once, and letting people check them out at their own pace?
Expanse S4 dropped all at once. S5 meanwhile, is getting released weekly.

Seems like companies have re-realized that making shows weekly again drives discourse around them, keeps them more visible on social media, and forces people who want to see it to renew their subscriptions for 2-3 months.
I don't watch many shows, but I much much preferred being able to just watch an episode or two when I felt like it, as opposed to having a weekly release schedule.

e: Also: "Oh, I'll call you tomorrow about it."
No, no you loving don't you piece of poo poo. Give me a loving timeframe for when you're going to call.
I loving loathe waiting around for something that might happen at any point during the day, because I hate the feeling of 'can't start with X, it'll be lovely if I just get interrupted after a while.', and not being able to pop out on errands etc because suddenly some fucker is going to call.
And then invariably it happens at the end of the day or whatever, after I've been way less efficient than normal because I loving hate the looming spectre of 'at some point you have to drop everything you're doing.'. It just drives me bonkers.

Even just a loving 'after lunch' helps me narrow it down a lot, since that means I can do poo poo freely before that. (This really applies to anything with a vague timeframe, deliveries, someone dropping by, etc etc etc.)

SubNat has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Dec 16, 2020

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

When people think they're doing great at the pandemic and are super safe and following ALL the rules because they've brought their grocery shopping down to once a week, unless they need something, and sometimes to pick up a pre-made lunch, but it's OK they always wear a mask,

Bastards! Public health said do your grocery shopping once every two weeks! And don't go other than that! What's so hard to understand about this!!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
give me extra fridge/freezer/shelf space and a car and we’ll talk

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yeah what the hell. I don't have space to store 2 weeks worth of food. That's insane.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah what the hell. I don't have space to store 2 weeks worth of food. That's insane.

Yeah, trust me, I'd do it once a month if I didn't live in an apartment, and had the money and space for a stand alone freezer.

See also: Being forced to physically show up in the office every day.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Probably a lot of people getting paid weekly who can't afford to do two weeks shopping in one go. But there can't be that many people living in cramped conditions, with no car, and living one weekly paycheque at a time, right?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Rest assured that the people I am complaining about have cars and space and simply are not interested in ~adjusting~

I'm privileged to be a tech worker who doesn't have to worry about cost or time of day but I do live in a small apartment and have to haul groceries home by foot and I manage going 2+ weeks fine enough. Idiots with cars and chest freezers and more money than they know what to do with can surely manage

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Dec 16, 2020

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I bought a little folding shopping cart thingy so that I can transport more groceries at once and shop less frequently, but two weeks worth in one go is long enough that most of the food I bought would spoil before I could eat it, storage space for it or not.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm extremely annoyed at how the people still most terrified of covid are the safest and richest among us.

"I've been working from home for the past ten months and it's completely fine, I touch my computer all day and watch twitch for a high five figures and my wife watches the kids, it's so great she was able to do this because we are extremely progressive responsible people who UNDERSTAND THE CRISIS unlike all those other idiots who still go into work and desire some sort of childcare during that time, but anyway, after isolating in my castle all this time we've broken down and got doordashed indian food that we immediately threw into the oven for an hour, and I wore my respirator to open the door and pick it up, how long should I expect before the roni symptoms begin? Anyway can you believe this country won't give honest safe working class folks like me any support during the crisis"

Honestly gently caress these people, send them to work at the grocery store and let people like me and my roommates stay home

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Dec 16, 2020

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

I bought a little folding shopping cart thingy so that I can transport more groceries at once and shop less frequently, but two weeks worth in one go is long enough that most of the food I bought would spoil before I could eat it, storage space for it or not.

same. even though i have one of those carts myself (car would hold more though), and even if i had space for all that poo poo, there’s no way i could manage to eat all the perishables in time. shopping pre-covid was already excruciating and a huge anxious drain on me without having to worry that my food will spoil and my loving ebt is wasted

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont mind lockdowns because its nice and quiet and you can just read a book. i dont get people who get all restless and sentimental about stupid poo poo like festivals, just read a book and shut the gently caress up

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i do miss going to shows but seriously, get a loving hobby or something. shy dorks like me have dealt with this forever meanwhile you’re complaining about not being able to get a haircut. cut your own goddamn hair?

for all the rightwing idiots who whine about self-sufficiency, they have absolutely none of it themselves and they fold like a cheap card table at the slightest inconvenience

also gently caress all those insulting “we’re in this together” commercials. gently caress you, your situation and ours aren’t even remotely the same, you rich pricks

nishi koichi has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Dec 16, 2020

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

nishi koichi posted:

for all the rightwing idiots who whine about self-sufficiency, they have absolutely none of it themselves and they fold like a cheap card table at the slightest inconvenience

Yeah this is the core of my complaint, the refusal to sacrifice even a little

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What I don't understand is the people who prefer going to the office instead of staying the gently caress home. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate who will occasionally stay up all night stressing about something and then proceed to spend the next day driving me up the wall due to a combination of chrinic pain, exhaustion, and stress. I would much rather deal with that than drive 30 minutes each way to spend 9 hours sitting in a poorly ventilated building with people I don't particularly care for.

People really must hate their families if they want to spend their days in the office wearing clothes, as opposed to wearing PJs at the dinner table.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I had it a lot better than many during lockdown, living with my dad and my sister and being able to save a bunch of money over the last couple years. Dad administrates a hospital lab, which couldn’t always be done from home, and had his retirement pushed back a some months, so feel free to tell me if I’m being a whiny rear end in a top hat about this.

Lockdown was better than my lovely job in every possible way, and I was so pissed when in May I got asked if I wanted to come back to work for less than unemployment was giving me (or would have been giving me if it hadn’t taken months to go through). Doubly pissed at myself when I, having been woken up by the call, blearily agreed. I guess I would have lost unemployment and my job’s insurance if I hadn’t agreed? I’m not sure. I should have loving checked first though.

Dad’s boomer Republicanism won out over his taking the disease seriously and gave the refrain that it would be a shame if someone like me wasn’t working. I take computer cables out of one type of packaging and put them into another. Thank god I didn’t bring the disease home for that. During lockdown I was playing too many video games, sleeping in, working out on the Ring Fit, and stressing out over the news. Now I still do that, but I replace the light workout and sleep with computer cords and less money.

Sometimes we have to unload a truck at work, and I hear that “At least it makes the day go by faster” and gently caress you no it doesn’t. Not lifting hundreds of bunch of boxes is objectively better than lifting hundreds of boxes for a couple hours.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 01:05 on Dec 17, 2020

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

What I don't understand is the people who prefer going to the office instead of staying the gently caress home. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate who will occasionally stay up all night stressing about something and then proceed to spend the next day driving me up the wall due to a combination of chrinic pain, exhaustion, and stress. I would much rather deal with that than drive 30 minutes each way to spend 9 hours sitting in a poorly ventilated building with people I don't particularly care for.

People really must hate their families if they want to spend their days in the office wearing clothes, as opposed to wearing PJs at the dinner table.

Some people have brain problems that prevent them from being able to separate work from home unless they physically change locations. Being at home all the time feels like being at work 24/7. I don't quite get it, but I get it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The kind of jobs I actually enjoy doing aren’t possible to do from home, so it’s not even an option for me. I did work from home from 2012-2013 when I was doing something entirely different and it was nice sometimes and completely loving maddening other times. Like, the peaks were higher and the valleys were lower.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
there are literally customers i see coming into my grocery store EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. to buy one single avocado and a small bit of cheese and a banana and some bread, tomorrow it'll be another avocado and one banana and some peanut butter and a chocolate bar, literally every single loving day, masks tucked below their loving noses, every loving day

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Dip Viscous posted:

Some people have brain problems that prevent them from being able to separate work from home unless they physically change locations. Being at home all the time feels like being at work 24/7. I don't quite get it, but I get it.

For me it's pretty much this, but also it makes it a lot more tempting to do stupid poo poo like getting hammered on worknights because you know you don't have to drive/be seen by other people the next day. That and the fact that my apartment setup isn't nearly as nice as my office was - my chair sucks, my desk is tiny and I only have one monitor. I've found that I've had to work around 10-10 and a half hours a day to match my productivity with a 8 hour in-office workday.

All that said though I'm not going to complain - it's not ideal and I'm not enjoying it but I'm lucky I'm able to do it in the first place.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Dec 17, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

As for me, it’s nearly impossible to get as much work done from home as when I go into the dick sucking factory

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Dip Viscous posted:

It's not a "brain problem" per-se that causes this. It's because there are distractions at home. What is 2 hours of work at the office becomes 6 hours of work at home. There are distractions and no segregation of work and home. I work from home but I much prefer to go into the office. Everything is quicker when you don't have home things to worry about, kids running around, dogs that want out, cat's that won't stop meowing, parents calling.

Work is work, home is home. It so much easier. I can work well once everyone's asleep at home, if people are up, it's a distraction. That means that I don't sleep well though.

Working on the phone at home I can do well though. I can shut off the world then.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I worked from home and set my own hours I would never wake up before sunset.

I live in Iceland so this would mean sleeping through the entire winter and not sleeping at all during the summer months.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've worked from home since April and it's kind of a land of contrasts (though mostly positive), but like gently caress if I'm going back to three to four hours spent on the bus every day.

Also, my roommate is disabled and I feel much better knowing she's not on her own most days.

Mind you I'm ready to have at least the option to go out and chill in a restaurant with a book for a few hours back.

My quarantine peeve is that I did all this poo poo and still got COVID.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Working from home has massively skewed my perceptions of what a working day should be, and also my worklife balance - mainly in a positive way, but it's probably not necessarily sustainable.

Effectively, all my chores now get done during work time, often during meetings (of which I have at least 90 minutes per day). This is good, BUT, if I'm unable to get stuff done during the day, it now feels like a gross injustice for me to have to do anything in the evening. If I have a few days in the week when I can't get anything done during work time, then oh poo poo the house is a mess and we have no clean laundry.

Similarly, due to being an awful procrastinator and having, often, a lot of downtime during my working day, I am spending an embarrassing amount of time playing video games, watching TV and going on long walks; if I were in the office, this time would have been spent listening to music while idly clicking around on a spreadsheet. I can't decide whether I should just embrace this and accept that it's fine to spend a lot of my paid time doing gently caress all (because I still achieve what needs to be achieved), or whether I should be ashamed of myself, ban myself from anything fun, and go above and beyond at work.

The second option is incredibly unlikely.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I remember some survey saying that the average office worker spends about two to three hours per day actually working.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

docbeard posted:

Also, my roommate is disabled and I feel much better knowing she's not on her own most days.

Mind you I'm ready to have at least the option to go out and chill in a restaurant with a book for a few hours back.

My roommate is disabled too, so :same:

Prior to COVID, she'd get a ride from her health insurance to one of her appointments every month. It was on the way home from work, so I'd swing by, pick her up, drop off the scripts, then we'd go get some lovely Mexican and a margarita nearby, while we waited. I miss that, these days she does them by phone, so I swing by at lunch and grab the scripts and a Mother Cruncher from Rally's, it's just not the same.

My peeve is that my employer won't poo poo or get off the pot when it comes to WFH. They dragged their feet on it in March, and I ended up getting to work from home "every other day" for April before they told everyone to go back into the office. Then they went for it again for the first 3 weeks in December, there are two days left before Christmas break, with no announcement yet, so I'm bracing myself to be back in the office full time again come December 28

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Perfect Element posted:

Working from home has massively skewed my perceptions of what a working day should be, and also my worklife balance - mainly in a positive way, but it's probably not necessarily sustainable.

Effectively, all my chores now get done during work time, often during meetings (of which I have at least 90 minutes per day). This is good, BUT, if I'm unable to get stuff done during the day, it now feels like a gross injustice for me to have to do anything in the evening. If I have a few days in the week when I can't get anything done during work time, then oh poo poo the house is a mess and we have no clean laundry.

Similarly, due to being an awful procrastinator and having, often, a lot of downtime during my working day, I am spending an embarrassing amount of time playing video games, watching TV and going on long walks; if I were in the office, this time would have been spent listening to music while idly clicking around on a spreadsheet. I can't decide whether I should just embrace this and accept that it's fine to spend a lot of my paid time doing gently caress all (because I still achieve what needs to be achieved), or whether I should be ashamed of myself, ban myself from anything fun, and go above and beyond at work.

The second option is incredibly unlikely.

Can we start a thread where we have a continued chat supporting this kind of behavior?

I hate that I feel bad for not being "productive" when there isn't any work to do. I dread going back to the office where I will need to fill my days with busy work and not just do the dishes. 😕

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

During WFH my rule has been if I can get 5 solid hours of work done, that's a good day. That's an excellent day. I have hours of extra free time and my boss has never been happier with me.

8 hour work days for office workers is complete horseshit, almost no one is productive for that amount of time each day, or even half that. I'm just happy that my "unproductive" time is now spent doing chores or playing with my dog rather than pointlessly sitting in an uncomfortable office chair being harassed by my equally bored coworkers.

It bothers the ever-living hell out of me that we spent the better part of a year fighting with management to get WFH privileges to no effect, but the moment Covid hit we're 100% out of office and everyone's less stressed, happier with their job, and more productive than ever. It's pretty obvious in retrospect; we don't have to commute, or wear uncomfortable clothing, or get pulled into hours of pointless meetings, or get our train of thought interrupted every 20 minutes because someone was stopping by. The only people complaining are the people with young children and the boomers who have been fighting the introduction of email into the workplace for 25 years.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If making a living from home on a computer is a thing you can do then gently caress off with complaining about your work life balance and embrace how loving privileged you are.

The bad things about rona year are manyfold and “I work from my home office” is so far far down the list it’s laughable gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If making a living from home on a computer is a thing you can do then gently caress off with complaining about your work life balance and embrace how loving privileged you are.

The bad things about rona year are manyfold and “I work from my home office” is so far far down the list it’s laughable gently caress off

I don't think anyone is actually complaining about working from home.

Also, yeah, corona sucks, but if we apply your logic in the pet peeves thread, then unless you're starving to death in a war zone then no one's allowed to post.