Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
A friend of mine runs a tiny farm where she sells fancy died wool. As that's a product of animal origin she's going to have to do all sorts to sell to the EU, except she has no idea what those all sorts actually entails as nobody can tell her. It might mean getting every single parcel checked by a Vet or something equally daft which would make it financially impossible, and that's before any tariffs. I'm sure she's not alone in this and that Brexit is going to utterly gently caress a swathe of small companies across the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Convex posted:

Pretty much like saying "watch your head" after someone has already smashed it on the doorframe
More like blindfolding someone in a dark room and telling them to watch their head when there are several knives mounted on the wall at head height. And then kicking them in the balls.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RBA-Wintrow posted:

This looks, smells and tastes like soap.

Lutefisk?! I used to live in Norway. It very much does not smell like anything as appetising as soap. I didn't even try tasting it, rakfisk was bad enough.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

More like blindfolding someone in a dark room and telling them to watch their head when there are several knives mounted on the wall at head height. And then kicking them in the balls.

How did you find my fetlife profile

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

sinky posted:

They should use the Sonic drowning music.

I think you’re onto something here

https://twitter.com/sanitarynaptime/status/1339611668360343553?s=21

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Lungboy posted:

A friend of mine runs a tiny farm where she sells fancy died wool. As that's a product of animal origin she's going to have to do all sorts to sell to the EU, except she has no idea what those all sorts actually entails as nobody can tell her. It might mean getting every single parcel checked by a Vet or something equally daft which would make it financially impossible, and that's before any tariffs. I'm sure she's not alone in this and that Brexit is going to utterly gently caress a swathe of small companies across the country.

Yeah, strangely enough a lot of people have taken advantage of the ability to treat most of a continent the same as the UK for business purposes, many of them very niche and specific that nobody else would necessarily think of. I have an idea of what's going to happen in my industry (nothing good), but that's it.

If only there was a central administration of some sort that could keep a broad overview of this stuff.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

followed by

Convex fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 17, 2020

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

:lol:

Dropped all my rings value of the £.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Gort posted:

International arms company builds arms for country, read all about it

Fun fact: Thales built almost all of the ISS structural modules under contract by the various governments.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Gotta Go Fash!

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Guavanaut posted:

Gotta Go Fash!

Amazing lmao

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

As opposed to malpaed which would be the rest of the government advisors.

Actually, they're very good at that.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm so glad to be a lowly teacher and not an important one. Another end of term and another announcement with massive planning required. It wasn't until lunchtime that Gavin came out to confirm the plan about a staggered start to the new year.

BBC News posted:

Asked why he had waited until now to announce this change, he said the "staggered testing" would ensure children spent "the maximum amount of time in school by reducing the amount of time they're having to be absent [and] reducing the number of children who are having to self-isolate".

Love how there's no pointing out that he didn't answer the question at all. Of course there isn't. There's no expectation that he ever would.

Also no idea how the testing in school is going to work. Daily testing for students that have been close contacts of people? Given that we had whole years sent home, that would be 200+ students being tested daily for a week. Who is doing that? When is that happening? Can they really still safely go to lesson while waiting results? Who knows.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Sad Panda posted:

I'm so glad to be a lowly teacher and not an important one. Another end of term and another announcement with massive planning required. It wasn't until lunchtime that Gavin came out to confirm the plan about a staggered start to the new year.

Love how there's no pointing out that he didn't answer the question at all. Of course there isn't. There's no expectation that he ever would.

Also no idea how the testing in school is going to work. Daily testing for students that have been close contacts of people? Given that we had whole years sent home, that would be 200+ students being tested daily for a week. Who is doing that? When is that happening? Can they really still safely go to lesson while waiting results? Who knows.

It's amazing that he threated legal action against Islington for suggesting online teaching after Christmas then announced it as government policy a few days later.

E: Truss has been spouting poo poo again too, spoilered for Transphobia https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1339598641485414406?s=19

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 17, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lungboy posted:

It's amazing that he threated legal action against Islington for suggesting online teaching after Christmas then announced it as government policy a few days later.

E: Truss has been spouting poo poo again too, spoilered for Transphobia https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1339598641485414406?s=19

I thought it was against Islington for doing online teaching this last week of term?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lungboy posted:

What the gently caress does any of that shite she's saying mean?

Focusing on groups instead of individuals means we're not defending single sex spaces? I thought the whole issue was that we as a society created two overbroad groups (men and women) and some individuals don't fit neatly into that because nature is complicated? And if anyone is focusing too much on groups over individuals it's the terves with their "this bathroom is for the sole use of true natal possessors of large immobile gametes" bollocks? It's not just transphobic, it's actively opposite-of-reality.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

While this is good for a chuckle, and definitely pricks the "Rule Britannia! Britain Goes Alone! We Don't Need The Rest Of The World!" gammon sentiments (especially at a time when sections of the media and population are urging the use of warships against the French), it's not at all unusual for notionally 'foreign' (actually multinational, but a quarter-owned by the French government) arms companies to build some or all of the bits for other country's equipment, even when said country has a "Build At Home" policy. Thales has a very large UK presence, having bought out some significant and long-established British companies like Shorts Missile Systems, Barr & Stroud, Racal, Ferranti, Plessey Marine and so on - all either directly sold off or the sale was OK'd by a patriotic Conservative government with the country's best interests at heart, it should be said... I would guess that a lot of the work done by Thales on the Type 31 would actually be done in the UK by the former Plessey operation.

Thales also designed what would become the QE-Class carriers. In a lovely bit of mutual back-scratching and 'all shall have prizes', it came down to a design contest between BAE and Thales. The Thales design won but the contract to build them when to a BAE/VT joint venture, thus ensuring that essentially every part of the IMC got a slice of the pie regardless.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Anyone else hear his when they see those images?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA&t=37s

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I thought it was against Islington for doing online teaching this last week of term?

I think that was a separate part of the same issue.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I believe so. But then if it's absolutely critical for students to be in this last week (where there's definitely been a fair share of Christmas quizzes) and we will sue you if you suggest otherwise, how is it not essential the week we get back when lessons are actually going to be more 'normal'.

Being a Computing teacher they just got told computers are magical and amazing anyway which is the point of Christmas and so yes of course we are continuing with the planned lessons and you'll learn how beautiful binary is. Truly heartwarming talking with Y7/8 about the word binary and at least one person in each class making the link between that and the words bisexual and non-binary genders.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sad Panda posted:

I believe so. But then if it's absolutely critical for students to be in this last week (where there's definitely been a fair share of Christmas quizzes) and we will sue you if you suggest otherwise, how is it not essential the week we get back when lessons are actually going to be more 'normal'.

Being a Computing teacher they just got told computers are magical and amazing anyway which is the point of Christmas and so yes of course we are continuing with the planned lessons and you'll learn how beautiful binary is. Truly heartwarming talking with Y7/8 about the word binary and at least one person in each class making the link between that and the words bisexual and non-binary genders.

That's what is so daft. So many schools the run up to the end of the autumn term is often quizzes and stuff, a bummer if you only get the GCSE class 1 hour a week and they're all hyped because other teachers have been doing quizzes and videos for 2 weeks.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Lungboy posted:

Oh good, Brexit Britain has become Kafka's Castle, with all the bureaucratic catch-22s it involves to keep businesses afloat

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

All through lockdown two guys have been renovating a house over the road, it was in a right state and much nicer now. It’s just gone up for rent at £850/mo and my mum is astonished, flabbergasted, that it’s considerably more than a mortgage would be. She genuinely thought renting was for people who can’t afford a mortgage and is struggling to come to terms with her new worldview.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well it is, renting is for people who can't afford (the deposit for) a mortgage so they get to pay more in rent instead.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

Well it is, renting is for people who can't afford (the deposit for) a mortgage so they get to pay more in rentsomeone else's mortgage instead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even more accurate lol.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

Even more accurate lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vTfGdA2xPo&t=28s

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So did it not click in her head at some point that renting by its very nature has to be more expensive than paying a mortgage?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So did it not click in her head at some point that renting by its very nature has to be more expensive than paying a mortgage?

Private renting does. If only there was an alternative!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Private renting does. If only there was an alternative!

Making the government the landlord? My god man what is this pre magna carta england?

A free port is not a sandwich.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Last interaction with the rental market was a brief stint as a council tenant in the early 70s and she never really thought about it. We’ve got past “but they could save up in a year if they didn’t have to pay that!” and both my dad and I have incredulously said ”you watch programs about selling houses all the time.” She’s genuinely mad about it, and that she never thought about it until now.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Eh, I can see why someone might not think that if they hadn't been exposed to it.

Imagine I buy a house at £1000 mortgage a month, and rent it out at £500 rent a month. I'm effectively 'buying' a house for £500/month instead of £1000, and at the end I get the house, and the renter gets to live in a house that (would cost) £1000 a month for £500, they just don't get equity. It's a decent deal all around.

Unlike the current version, which is a great deal for the landlord, and a poo poo one for the renter.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Sanford posted:

Last interaction with the rental market was a brief stint as a council tenant in the early 70s and she never really thought about it. We’ve got past “but they could save up in a year if they didn’t have to pay that!” and both my dad and I have incredulously said ”you watch programs about selling houses all the time.” She’s genuinely mad about it, and that she never thought about it until now.

I'll never forget my first rental in uni after moving out of halls. After the first year we got a letter saying our rent was going up because rents are going up. Not circular logic at all.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Red Oktober posted:

Eh, I can see why someone might not think that if they hadn't been exposed to it.

Imagine I buy a house at £1000 mortgage a month, and rent it out at £500 rent a month. I'm effectively 'buying' a house for £500/month instead of £1000, and at the end I get the house, and the renter gets to live in a house that (would cost) £1000 a month for £500, they just don't get equity. It's a decent deal all around.

Unlike the current version, which is a great deal for the landlord, and a poo poo one for the renter.

yeah but like

where are YOU living during this?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On your family's country estate, obviously.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So how do you guys feel about boris basically arttempting to reinvigorate the thatcherism of allowing finance to run wild ala free ports? I'm somewhat familiar with the topic but I want to know more.

I feel like the results are the same in terms of causing ruin to britain's domestic production markers over decades

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Red Oktober posted:

I made this point to a friend recently, who was semi-defending the concept of buy to let. Pretending that housing as an investment is a thing, you have a spare £1000 a month to invest (lol), so you get a house with a mortgage. You pay the mortgage, and at the end you have a house that's hopefully increased in value - that's the investment part. Can also go down of course, but in the long term it seems like a good bet.

It would be silly to leave it empty, so you rent it out for like a few hundred month, to cover costs.

In the world of "investments", this seems reasonable.

Then you add in the part where the rent is actually £1200, and suddenly that's not an investment anymore, that's just getting someone else to buy you a house.

I think he understood where I was coming from after that.

E: this is basically just a restatement of your post, but with the emphasis on an investment being a thing that costs you money until you liquidate it, at which point you hopefully win overall

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The daft thing is we could have done Freeport's within the EU.

E: VVV Page not found, which is probably for the best given it's that oval office.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
At least someone's offering advice for next year...
Ant Middleton's Be Prepared For 2021

I imagine it'll be more preppers and stockpiling than EU Business Regs for Small Business though.