Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

AndrewP posted:

I miss regular old Justin and Griff Let's Plays from Polygon so I liked it, but I understand that's now what people go to these for

Yeah same. And it seems like the character creation in this game wasn't very flexible, so there was limited scope for them to really have fun with that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

AndrewP posted:

I miss regular old Justin and Griff Let's Plays from Polygon so I liked it, but I understand that's now what people go to these for

Honestly my favorite McElroy content is the old Game Overview videos, as well as Griffin's nuzlock run. So I'm all for it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Griffin committing to the stupid no kill world of warcraft run was hilarious purely because of the pain he inflicted upon himself

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Bring back Game Ogre and FMV Quest

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Shinjobi posted:

Griffin committing to the stupid no kill world of warcraft run was hilarious purely because of the pain he inflicted upon himself

That series was great except for how the fan interaction went from a fun side thing to basically dominating the show to a degree Griffin was not happy with

But even that gave us Dr. Pete Loomis

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Griffin's nuzlock run

The best content. RIP Ms. Beakman.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Blockhouse posted:

That series was great except for how the fan interaction went from a fun side thing to basically dominating the show to a degree Griffin was not happy with

But even that gave us Dr. Pete Loomis

Yeah it meant the end of the show but it also added to Griffin's frustration so it served its purpose.

Good stuff.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

So to expand on the mechanics here does he support people who kill for him?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bip Roberts posted:

So to expand on the mechanics here does he support people who kill for him?

This happened a couple times and he explicitly condemned them when they did it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The most violence he allowed himself personally to commit was the weird pokemon minigame and I think he did a hit once and regretted it the whole episode

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's worth watching the whole thing.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Bring back Game Ogre and FMV Quest

The one episode where it was Brian and Justin doing FMV Quest together was really good, i really wish that we could have gotten a few more of those

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
When they left Polygon they also promised they'd be continuing some form of Awful Squad, but that didn't happen. I almost kinda wonder whether they're not on good terms with some of the Polygon folks. Maybe they're just too busy.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Just Chamber posted:

The best content. RIP Ms. Beakman.

:(

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

When they left Polygon they also promised they'd be continuing some form of Awful Squad, but that didn't happen. I almost kinda wonder whether they're not on good terms with some of the Polygon folks. Maybe they're just too busy.

Nah they still do the Besties podcast with Frushtick and Plante

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I just mean some of the Polygon people, like some of the video team or something? I dunno, just wild speculation and probably not true. Would just love some old school awful squad

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I imagine the death of Awful Squad has more to do with

- Polygon's video output shifting away from just people streaming games

- The McElroys wanting to focus on their own work they have full creative control over

- PUBG falling off hard in the West due to a combination of competition and Bluehole's incompetence

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah makes sense. They should be catering to my exact wants though!

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

TL posted:

I generally prefer the character creation to the gameplay, so this one left me cold as well. Oh well, no one bats .1000.

Not if they want to stay in professional baseball!

I think it would read as 1.000 :)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

edit: whoops

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I just remembered I didn't really like the Adult Cool monster factory as well, but other than that they're all gold.

The Boy Mayor of Second Life is something I've watched a thousand times and it still makes me howl

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I liked the parts where they went fists-only, but other than that yeah it wasn’t great. Seems like the Demon’s Souls remake’s character creator lets you make really nice looking characters but isn’t very good for making monstrosities. I wish they had gone with Griffin’s idea of making a really grody neckbearded pissperson.

Everything that I’ve heard about Cyberpunk 2077 makes it sound like it would be great for Monster Factory. Especially the lovely last-gen versions.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ariong posted:

I liked the parts where they went fists-only, but other than that yeah it wasn’t great. Seems like the Demon’s Souls remake’s character creator lets you make really nice looking characters but isn’t very good for making monstrosities. I wish they had gone with Griffin’s idea of making a really grody neckbearded pissperson.

Everything that I’ve heard about Cyberpunk 2077 makes it sound like it would be great for Monster Factory. Especially the lovely last-gen versions.

cyberpunk's character creation is super limited i dont think it even has sliders

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

dmboogie posted:

cyberpunk's character creation is super limited i dont think it even has sliders

Are all those screenshots of like, Peter Griffin and whatever, going round fake?

I was told the squidward one was fake

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I imagine the death of Awful Squad has more to do with

- Polygon's video output shifting away from just people streaming games

yeah not too long after they left, polygon basically killed all its streaming content and has only restarted it (irregularly) since quarantine

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

eke out posted:

yeah not too long after they left, polygon basically killed all its streaming content and has only restarted it (irregularly) since quarantine

I think this was after it was revealed that the whole thing driving the pivot to video trend was a lie by Facebook

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the next monster factory game should be crusader kings 3

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

I think this was after it was revealed that the whole thing driving the pivot to video trend was a lie by Facebook

yea that 'pivot to video' poo poo was loving tragic for so many sites. Facebook just literally lied to everyone and then was all 'lol mah bad' when it got discovered and all these sites like Polygon who made massive changes thinking they were adapting quickly to a trend were left completely high and dry.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I just wish they wouldn’t put the final creation in the thumbnail

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

The most violence he allowed himself personally to commit was the weird pokemon minigame and I think he did a hit once and regretted it the whole episode

My favorite part is he actually missed I believe, so The Hit is non canonical

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Griffin McElroy and the Mystery of the Phantom Hit

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

dmboogie posted:

I think on top of that, I've heard you don't even get to see your character in a 3P mode so I feel there's no point even.

Also I had a fun enough time with this one. Kind of glad it was back to only one vid with the creation and gameplay. The two part ep formats just were not doing it for me.

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 17, 2020

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Shinjobi posted:

Griffin McElroy and the Mystery of the Phantom Hit

McElroy Gear!!?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Raserys posted:

Yeah the character creator on that is wild, but the gameplay may leave something to be desired in terms of monster factoring.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Raserys posted:

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah the character creator on that is wild, but the gameplay may leave something to be desired in terms of monster factoring.
I would love to see this lol, I bet they could do a good short gimmick run of some kind

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm sorry, are you telling me my war monger toddler king planning on murdering his extended family and failing spectacularly isn't monster factoring?!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I liked the Destiny jokes when they made their guy purple, but it felt like they HAD to do an episode because there was a new(ish) Souls release, and the creation just isn't that robust. Does the Demon's Souls remake even have a random feature that deforms the face if you do it over and over? That's what made the other Souls episodes fun. Well, that and pizza mods.

Blockhouse posted:

Knife Dad was the only acceptable instance of fan participation, specifically because Griffin requested it.

The rest of the time McElroy fan content is "guys let's all copy the boys exactly but make it worse and cringey, haha I just said 'buck wild' and called Griffin 'Ditto' do you like me now?" Reigning in the fan questions was probably the best thing they ever did for live shows.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I thought it was okay but like its yet another identical souls game but with a no fun pass over the character creator and no mods because the one interesting thing is that its on PS5 now. No wonder it just turned into an overview gameplay video, the fact they only got one vid out of it says it all really.

Its hard to choose a favorite MF because theres so many good ones and theres not much left to say about The Final Pam or the Boy Mayor w/e but my favorite recent one was the WWE2020 vid because Snack Braff was an amazing creation and he was taken from us too soon.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

I liked the Destiny jokes when they made their guy purple, but it felt like they HAD to do an episode because there was a new(ish) Souls release, and the creation just isn't that robust. Does the Demon's Souls remake even have a random feature that deforms the face if you do it over and over? That's what made the other Souls episodes fun. Well, that and pizza mods.

Knife Dad was the only acceptable instance of fan participation, specifically because Griffin requested it.

The rest of the time McElroy fan content is "guys let's all copy the boys exactly but make it worse and cringey, haha I just said 'buck wild' and called Griffin 'Ditto' do you like me now?" Reigning in the fan questions was probably the best thing they ever did for live shows.

Agreed that McElroy fans suck, but the party at the end of the Second Life episodes was fantastic.

Edit: yussss. Love when me and Mr Philby's avatars match up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

McElroy fans are good. People who aspire to join the family or podcast are deeply troubling.