Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does sekiro have ragdoll corpse physics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Gamerofthegame posted:

sekiro owned but the final boss was so u g h.

Uber Great Hubbub?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the health reduction on hollowing in dark souls 2 was in my mind intended to encourage coop, which is itself super easy to facilitate thanks to the small white soapstone

or at least, it was when i played it. active population is probably a lot lower now. i wish bloodborne had small soapstone

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Relax Or DIE posted:

at the very least - any other criticisms aside, it should have checkpointed after the last fight with what's his name. I will never be convinced that the fact that you have to fight him each time is a late-in-dev change to make the final boss harder, which it did not need to be.

It's the same boss though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yhorm and the entire area you find him in seem like they were unfinished. It's so poorly made and no one cares what is supposed to be going on because its a bit of a city that is underground for reasons???? Seems like the 'profaned flame' was supposed to be important but they just abandoned the idea at some point so yeah everyone exploded for some reason.

If I have one real issue with Dark Souls 3's lore, it's that they added like a new kind of fire and a new kind of dark and then just barely explored them. Like there's the fire, and also the Chaos Flame, and there's the dark and also the Abyss. But now there's also a Profaned Flame and the Deep? And it's never quite clear how they fit into the whole cosmology. The Profaned Flame has some dark in it and will never go out, I think, so is it like a more successful Chaos Flame? The Deep is all about dark, deep waters and the weight of humanity and stuff, but we don't really see much of that beyond Aldrich making Anor Londo all goopy and gross.

Yhorm himself and the Profaned Capital I didn't have too much of an issue with. I did notice that Yhorm, unlike any other Lord of Cinder, has no real defenders at all. Nobody gives a poo poo about him. And that makes sense with what we can learn about who he was before he linked the flame--everyone hated Yhorm, and he tried really hard to make people love him, and it never worked, and then when he linked the Fire everyone he cared about died a fiery death. And now that he's back as a Lord of Cinder, nothing has changed except his city is in even worse shape. Other Lords of Cinder have a whole kingdom (Lothric), or have whole covenants designated to defending them (Watchdogs of Farron defending the Abyss Watchers, and Aldrich Faithful defending Aldrich), but not Yhorm. All he has is an onion guy who promised to kill him if he were to ever forsake his duty, and that's about it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The last boss of Sekiro owns.

Dunking on Genichiro over and over is the best part of that fight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
all my boss fights in sekiro started out as a one-sided curbstomping to me and ended as a one-sided curbstomping by me, so it was tremendously gratifying that my final, final fight against Remnant Saint Isshin was a frantic grit-toothed exchange of blows right up to the bitter end

definitely caught myself thinking WHY! WON'T! YOU! DIE?! at a few points during my winning run

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

It's the same boss though.

There is no overlap in moveset AFAIK so they're effectively two separate bosses you fight in sequence. I agree that it's bad and it's the reason I quit at that point the first time through

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

haveblue posted:

There is no overlap in moveset AFAIK so they're effectively two separate bosses you fight in sequence. I agree that it's bad and it's the reason I quit at that point the first time through

Calling the first part a boss is extremely generous since you can easily beat him in a matter of seconds while taking no damage. It's an effective prelude to the actual boss.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
right, it's a prelude that works narratively and as such should be a wholly separate encounter so you don't waste the player's time as they try to learn the rest of the (entirely too long and often cheap) final boss.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I didn't even bother trying to fight the actual final boss of Sekiro more than once after I got through Genichiro and died within three seconds, then found out you had to start from the top every time. I just didn't have any gas left in the tank and have not touched the game since then. I have a PS4 copy that has been basically unused since I played it on Steam, so maybe I'll try to do a run on PS5.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
After you beat the tutorial of Elden Ring a voice tells you to quit playing that god drat wizard poo poo you've got an email about a new mission. Your character logs out of the game and takes off his VR helmet and begins walking towards his Armored Core.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wouldn’t call Isshin cheap, he can be demanding but he’s very easy to read and to learn. He shares a lot of his moves with some of the more elite enemies so he’s more of a final exam than a completely out of nowhere boss.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Stux posted:

ugh in which sense

I don't even remember it's been a hot moment, but I think it was something akin to it being waaay to long and the guy leaving no margins for error

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

he's back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1NbTaiHNN0

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Looper posted:

the health reduction on hollowing in dark souls 2 was in my mind intended to encourage coop, which is itself super easy to facilitate thanks to the small white soapstone

or at least, it was when i played it. active population is probably a lot lower now. i wish bloodborne had small soapstone

Yeah I get it, but there has got to be a better way than giving you a penalty and then a bunch of ways to mitigate that penalty. It's just overly designed for no real reason. And yeah, the population's p. sleepy these days.

I'm enjoying it, it's pretty and I like that there are more NPCs to meet, it just feels a bit unfocused.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Isshin was the pinnacle of FROM shoving a billion phases onto every boss now, which is something I dislike

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Saint Freak posted:

After you beat the tutorial of Elden Ring a voice tells you to quit playing that god drat wizard poo poo you've got an email about a new mission. Your character logs out of the game and takes off his VR helmet and begins walking towards his Armored Core.

This is basically what happens at the beginning of the first Assassin's Creed game and I'd be OK with that

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i'll stop boring everyone with my repetitive sekiro criticisms and say: even though I don't like the final boss drat that game has some good ones. guardian ape is fun as hell, the bridge knight is a gimmick but a real good one, genichiro on the rooftop is an insanely solid midgame knowledge check with the exception of the lightning stuff in the last phase being very poorly tutorialized and kind of a gotcha but i didn't find it too hard to pick up on the fly the dragon owns visually.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

despite being the type of guy who goes way in for musical themes, all From music sounds the same to me. like every boss theme is just identifiable to me as a Dark Souls Composition™, I've never been hit by something alluding to another track

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Bosses don’t have enough phases I say, I need at least five phases to be satisfied.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Also a secret gimmick 6th phase that only appears if you did some weird poo poo earlier on.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like how in Gunstar Heroes you only get to fight all 7 phases of Seven Force if you're playing on expert

maybe souls should try that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

despite being the type of guy who goes way in for musical themes, all From music sounds the same to me. like every boss theme is just identifiable to me as a Dark Souls Composition™, I've never been hit by something alluding to another track

I think Bloodborne does the best at keeping boss tracks distinct while still being orchestra and choir, to the point that I can call to mind like Gascoigne's, Gehrman's, or Maria's themes basically any time. Same for Ludwig's. Dark Souls 3, despite having some great music to listen to, falls the most into homogenization unfortunately. Like I think Aldrich's theme is pretty distinct (if only because it quotes Gwyndolin's theme from DS1) but the rest really blends together.

I'm normally the guy who never misses a musical motif callback because I am absolute sucker for them, though.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don’t know much about mdickie, how much of this game is ironic

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

0%, mdickie's games are baffling and sincere

everyone should watch chip & ironicus play The You Testament at some point

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

at the very least - any other criticisms aside, it should have checkpointed after the last fight with what's his name. I will never be convinced that the fact that you have to fight him each time is a late-in-dev change to make the final boss harder, which it did not need to be.

to do that would be a first, i dont think it was a change at all. from a mechanical stand point its simply the first phase of the boss fight and theyve never split things that way before. from a lore standpoint i think it makes sense too and is really interesting. genichiro is wielding the black mortal blade which is named "open gate", and it clearly functions differently from the red one sekiro finds. for one, in one of the endings you see that owl is able to wield it without dying. in the black scroll it says that his mortal blade "creates life" by bringing it back from the underworld, and when regular isshin sees you hold the red blade he remarks "The crimson Mortal Blade...That means the one he has must be...black, then. To abandon oneself in search of strength...How tragic...". what i took that to mean, given what ultimately happens, is that the abandonment hes referring to isnt just genichiro gaining immortality from the sediment or simply getting any mortal blade, as it seems to be a direct response to him having this specific one. the abandonment is literal and the strength isnt just him making himself strong but using whatever strength possible to preserve ashinas legacy. he abandons himself by giving up his own corporeal form to bring isshin back from the afterlife in his prime. that is ashinas ultimate strength. saint sword isshin is a manifestation of genichiros will and exists through his lifeforce alone, so i think that to split them up, especially given that isshin literally climbs out of genichiro after he opens a gate to the afterlife on his own body, wouldnt fit narratively either

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The best music tracks in Dark Souls 3 are the main menu theme and the end credits theme, most of the rest sorta blends together for me or stands out only because it quotes a different piece of music that I already recognize.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i love sekiro

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

he's "in on the joke" but all of his games are like this so i think that's just the way he likes them to be

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

i mean i think gwyns theme stands out, its impossible to not recognise it as completely different from anything else in any of the games

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Harrow posted:

The best music tracks in Dark Souls 3 are the main menu theme and the end credits theme, most of the rest sorta blends together for me or stands out only because it quotes a different piece of music that I already recognize.

im a big fan of anything kitamura contributes. abyss watchers is a real standout imo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stux posted:

to do that would be a first, i dont think it was a change at all. from a mechanical stand point its simply the first phase of the boss fight and theyve never split things that way before. from a lore standpoint i think it makes sense too and is really interesting. genichiro is wielding the black mortal blade which is named "open gate", and it clearly functions differently from the red one sekiro finds. for one, in one of the endings you see that owl is able to wield it without dying. in the black scroll it says that his mortal blade "creates life" by bringing it back from the underworld, and when regular isshin sees you hold the red blade he remarks "The crimson Mortal Blade...That means the one he has must be...black, then. To abandon oneself in search of strength...How tragic...". what i took that to mean, given what ultimately happens, is that the abandonment hes referring to isnt just genichiro gaining immortality from the sediment or simply getting any mortal blade, as it seems to be a direct response to him having this specific one. the abandonment is literal and the strength isnt just him making himself strong but using whatever strength possible to preserve ashinas legacy. he abandons himself by giving up his own corporeal form to bring isshin back from the afterlife in his prime. that is ashinas ultimate strength. saint sword isshin is a manifestation of genichiros will and exists through his lifeforce alone, so i think that to split them up, especially given that isshin literally climbs out of genichiro after he opens a gate to the afterlife on his own body, wouldnt fit narratively either

It would be fine because you can have it happen the first time, be impactful, and then when he kills you he just waits around for you to try again, against him, not the first guy. On subsequent runs it's not surprising or impactful because you're just mashing the skip button to get to phase 2 already

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it'd own if from made a game about being a giant robot tho

imagine, if you will, gundum dark souls.

imagine. . .

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
gwyn's theme is so good lol, im not big on the latter half of sakuraba's career output a lot of the time tbh but i think gwyn is one of the most striking pieces he's ever composed

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i feel like im an alien, i loved every single moment of the isshin fight everytime i did it. the closest sekiro came to making me think something sucked or was cheap was w two moments. there is one miniboss that summons wolves, the first time you meet him he does it once and thats it, the second time he can keep doing it forever and it annoyed me. but he is optional, you can simply walk away, and you can deal with it. the second was demon of hatred who i thought had too much hp and was cheap and didnt fit the game and then i beat him and i immediately stopped being salty and changed my mind lol

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i really wasnt keen on its reuse in the cinder fight. i think the rearrangement of gwyndolin's theme for aldrich was a lot more impactful and pointed instead of just thing like thing, even though i get the relevance of gwyn to the final boss

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

it'd own if from made a game about being a giant robot tho

they did

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Violen posted:

im a big fan of anything kitamura contributes. abyss watchers is a real standout imo

Oh yeah, that one is really good. It didn't come to mind when I tried to think of it but as soon as I found it on Youtube I was like "oh right, this track is fantastic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ds1 has some dope music idk what you guys are on about. the more bombastic pieces do tend to blend together a bit but there's also stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FmZufTy3WM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ErQ2nDojeo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKJDxgcOSok