Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

In space gay communist utopia everyone lives in a walkable neighborhood, can satisfy their daily necessities with a 15 minute walk, and safely and easily bike/bus/train anywhere else. Cars are used for fun on tracks, but are pretty rare outside of fulfilling freight/delivery needs and rich assholes collecting antiques.

I'm sure everyone from Richwood to Quinter looks forward to their new Khrushchyovka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

maffew buildings posted:

for the more bourgeois element there is also lexus SUVs. you don't actually haul anything or load them up. they're just a lexus. namaste.

I share an 04 Lexus with my wife, it's at 295,000 and going strong. She grew up riding in it and it's amazing for road trips, has done 2 Alaska to lower 48(back and forth) moves and recently towed a u-haul 1500 miles. And I'm definitely an impoverished millennial. Having power windows and heated seats is superior, my dog loves both these features as I ride around in my Pendleton flannels.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Midjack posted:

I had one for six years and it was a hateful piece of poo poo that left me stranded on the side of the road a half dozen times in the last year I had it and I maintained it impeccably. Never doing that again.

I had like a 2003 Subaru Outback I got from family and it was ok but a bad fit for my needs. I didn't do much snow or offroad driving so all wheel drive wasn't a plus, pretty good cargo space. Expensive to repair especially with head gasket issue. Replaced with Honda Fit, over 100k miles so far with zero problems.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Cugel the Clever posted:

In space gay communist utopia everyone lives in a walkable neighborhood, can satisfy their daily necessities with a 15 minute walk, and safely and easily bike/bus/train anywhere else. Cars are used for fun on tracks, but are pretty rare outside of fulfilling freight/delivery needs and rich assholes collecting antiques.

And everyone who doesn't live near train tracks or in a metropolitan area gets to relearn how a horse and buggy work I suppose.

Or, that's what the gulags are for. They don't have to leave if they aren't allowed to.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

stackofflapjacks posted:

I share an 04 Lexus with my wife, it's at 295,000 and going strong. She grew up riding in it and it's amazing for road trips, has done 2 Alaska to lower 48(back and forth) moves and recently towed a u-haul 1500 miles. And I'm definitely an impoverished millennial. Having power windows and heated seats is superior, my dog loves both these features as I ride around in my Pendleton flannels.

I switched to Lexus when they gave me 0.9% financing and no mileage restriction on their warranty. Can't hurt my feelings, every part is reliable and practical.

VW treated me like poo poo during the recall. Lexus let me store the car on their lot till my recall appointment and then drove it across the street to the VW dealer and turned it in for me.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 17, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
2016 Legacy owner here. Haven't had anything go wrong with the accursed CVT *yet*, but fished for the extended warranty simply because I'd never owned one before and had ~heard stories~. My main issue is that the car seems to chew up its brake rotors every ~20k miles, and I'm not a brake rider at all.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

This is the most cursed thing I've seen in awhile

https://twitter.com/ross_luvs_pizza/status/1339588297538977793?s=19

Yeah, I'm sure Pat Tillman would have totally signed up for Trump's bullshit, yessir :rolleyes:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
loving gross

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
it drives me in to a rage that gallagher isn't in the brig jesus loving christ

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Pat Tillman would have totally signed up for Trump's bullshit, yessir :rolleyes:

Everything I’ve read about Tillman suggests he would have rolled a frag grenade into that room.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
his brother made a point of telling everyone at his funeral pat was an atheist so, yeah, that tracks

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cugel the Clever posted:

Right, so if I wanted to see my best friend I get to walk to the nearest bus stop to wait for the bus to the train station, take the train out to their nearest train station, wait for the bus to their nearest bus stop, then walk to their house.

That sure sounds like a fun couple of days.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

McNally posted:

Right, so if I wanted to see my best friend I get to walk to the nearest bus stop to wait for the bus to the train station, take the train out to their nearest train station, wait for the bus to their nearest bus stop, then walk to their house.

are you SURE you want us to talk about this

if so, i can assure you, the trains in china are very fast

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Pretty clear at this point that they have no idea about the depth of the Russian hack.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1339675349995679744

Also word of at least three states that also got hacked. Hard to know how much of this poo poo is just Outlook-snooping or if anything got deeper.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Doc Hawkins posted:

are you SURE you want us to talk about this

if so, i can assure you, the trains in china are very fast

The buses, I'm sure, are just as fast here as they are there, however.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Handsome Ralph posted:

Trump is launching a lovely pay to win mobile game? Cause that looks like it so so so much.

Also RIP OG Boba

https://twitter.com/bobafettfanclub/status/1339655911996997632?s=20

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cugel the Clever posted:

Hell on Earth.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

public transit is only part of the solution to urban planning. Housing shouldn't be so spread out and should be closer to transit hubs to begin with.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Seems like these hypotheticals won't really be relevant to any of our lives, since nearly every american city were planned with car commuters in mind . Even the development of significant future public transportation systems likely won't impact the existing fleet of vehicles and their role in the economy.

I don't really think that self driving cars are "just around the corner" as many people have suggested, but they would also create a pretty sticky widget for designing cities that are less drivable than the status quo

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

Pretty clear at this point that they have no idea about the depth of the Russian hack.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1339675349995679744

Also word of at least three states that also got hacked. Hard to know how much of this poo poo is just Outlook-snooping or if anything got deeper.

So i know we discussed retaliation and generally we're doing the same things (although I'm not sure something of this scale), and that the Russian's like to blow their load and give up their advantages quickly, but there has to be something that can be done (beyond repair and reinforce). I just feel like SVR and GRU have been doing and getting away (and that's not even counting GRU funding bounties on US soldiers*)

Of course I am also open to the idea we have done something, their either the Russian's don't know about (and obviously the public wouldn't) or are too embarrassed/sensitive to discuss.

Hey I know being quiet is the right approach and securing and ending the damaging and preparing for the future is the best option...but at some point something has to happen. IIRC a bunch of Russian troll operations (IRA) fell off the face of the Earth during 2018 election day (or +/- a few days).

*Yes I know we most likely did the same thing in Afghanistan, but then again a lot of CIA people looking at Afghanistan as a chance to get even with the Russian's for stuff they did in Vietnam.

Sigh the best thing is probably to do nothing, there is probably a reason to use something down the road and not waste it here.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

PookBear posted:

public transit is only part of the solution to urban planning. Housing shouldn't be so spread out and should be closer to transit hubs to begin with.

it's a very hard fight in the US. suburbs are just the modern industrial form of the settler-colonial pattern. we gotta give a bunch of people land or the promise thereof, and the right to kill people on their land, initially so that they'll toil, kill, and die to seed the continent with productive infrastructure, and always so that they buy into the broader societal scam. it can't last forever - eventually we'll go the way of Rome and Rhodesia - but i think it could definitely last another generation.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

PookBear posted:

Yeah, proper urban planning is obviously part of the space gay communist utopia. I'm not advocating that folks in the exurbs should be forced to travel for days to reach the nearest food source, you weirdos. Car-dependent sprawl just wouldn't exist.

Not clear why that struck such a nerve.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

Seems like these hypotheticals won't really be relevant to any of our lives, since nearly every american city were planned with car commuters in mind . Even the development of significant future public transportation systems likely won't impact the existing fleet of vehicles and their role in the economy.

I don't really think that self driving cars are "just around the corner" as many people have suggested, but they would also create a pretty sticky widget for designing cities that are less drivable than the status quo

yes, fully fixing the sprawl would take decades but that doesn't mean we won't benefit from incremental changes.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

McNally posted:

Yes? Have you ever been anywhere that had real public transit? Most of America is a shithole of stripmalls and unwalkable development designed for cars, but that's not how it has to be.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yeah, proper urban planning is obviously part of the space gay communist utopia. I'm not advocating that folks in the exurbs should be forced to travel for days to reach the nearest food source, you weirdos. Car-dependent sprawl just wouldn't exist.

Because based on bikechat from before it's clear a big segment of the population here personally identifies with their car and gets *really* upset when you question any of the myriad of safety, social & environmental issues brought about by car dependency.

People talk a big talk about climate change or opposing segregation, but lord help us when you suggest that car dependency might be a big contributor to those things.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cugel the Clever posted:

I mean the core issue is that not everyone can live (Or wants to live!) in the kinds of urban areas where the population density is great enough that public transportation is practical/economical. I've lived in the rural southwest where it takes an hour's drive to get to the nearest grocery store, and not being able to own a car in that situation is extremely crippling. I'm certainly all for better urban planning, reducing sprawl, and massively increasing public transportation, but buses and trains can't go everywhere.

e: For the record I've also lived in DC, and the Metro's great! (When it's not on fire)

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

I loving love getting stoned and using public transit. poo poo owns.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean the core issue is that not everyone can live (Or wants to live!) in the kinds of urban areas where the population density is great enough that public transportation is practical/economical. I've lived in the rural southwest where it takes an hour's drive to get to the nearest grocery store, and not being able to own a car in that situation is extremely crippling. I'm certainly all for better urban planning, reducing sprawl, and massively increasing public transportation, but buses and trains can't go everywhere.

Sprawl wouldn't exist without huge wealth transfers from cities. It literally did not exist prior to the post-WWII era for the most part, and infrastructure wise it still can't sustain itself (think utilities, highway costs, government redundancy, etc.) without external support. Cities (or old walkable towns of the type you see in the Midwest or East Coast) are the natural order of things.

:smug:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 17, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Flying_Crab posted:

Sprawl wouldn't exist without huge wealth transfers from cities. It literally did not exist prior to the post-WWII era for the most part, and infrastructure wise it still can't sustain itself (think utilities, highway costs, government redundancy, etc.) without external support. Cities (or old walkable towns of the type you see in the Midwest or East Coast) are the natural order of things.

:smug:

:psyduck: dude I know you're passionate about this but not everyone can live in a city.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

It's -3 *C outside and there's a foot of snow on the ground. Yes, this is excellent bicycling weather.

Everyone over 50 will do really well with this.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Flying_Crab posted:

Yes? Have you ever been anywhere that had real public transit? Most of America is a shithole of stripmalls and unwalkable development designed for cars, but that's not how it has to be.

I’ve almost always lived in Carlandia. I live in a place where being without a car really sucks.

But when about 80% of my friends lived in Chicago, before ride shares were hip, the old school ride-share was called “buying dinner for one of the two people you know who owns a car” to go camping in Wisconsin. Or one couple just rented a car for the weekend regularly to either go to parks and camping or to visit family, which is still way cheaper than owning a car.

I think of the 7 or so young couples, three owned a car. And one of those sold theirs after a year for lack of use. I never rented a car to visit people in Chicago, because transit worked.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

PeterCat posted:

It's -3 *C outside and there's a foot of snow on the ground. Yes, this is excellent bicycling weather.

I live in Wisconsin dude. I biked to work last winter before the pandemic hit, sure it’s not for everyone but transit or walking is also a thing. I’m not saying you can’t drive if you want, but we shouldn’t subsidize sprawl.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Flying_Crab posted:

I live in Wisconsin dude. I biked to work last winter before the pandemic hit, sure it’s not for everyone but transit or walking is also a thing. I’m not saying you can’t drive if you want, but we shouldn’t subsidize sprawl.

I'm guessing you're a single able bodied man in his 20s or 30s.

Am I close?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

PeterCat posted:

I'm guessing you're a single able bodied man in his 20s or 30s.

Am I close?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHsAaZI3hfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfLJ876lXsQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swqaAIkGtpA

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 17, 2020

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

I’ve almost always lived in Carlandia. I live in a place where being without a car really sucks.

But when about 80% of my friends lived in Chicago, before ride shares were hip, the old school ride-share was called “buying dinner for one of the two people you know who owns a car” to go camping in Wisconsin. Or one couple just rented a car for the weekend regularly to either go to parks and camping or to visit family, which is still way cheaper than owning a car.

I think of the 7 or so young couples, three owned a car. And one of those sold theirs after a year for lack of use. I never rented a car to visit people in Chicago, because transit worked.

In normal times Amtrak runs about 8 round trips daily between the two cities and it takes 90 minutes. That’s far faster than driving during peak hours, and approximately one billion percent less stressful. It owns..

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

PeterCat posted:

The only way this comment makes sense is if the only change we make is replacing cars with bikes and noone is proposing that.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Flying_Crab posted:

But I'm not talking about sprawl! I'm talking farmers, ranchers, miners, loggers, park rangers, people who live in tiny towns hundreds of miles from the nearest city.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Acebuckeye13 posted:

But I'm not talking about sprawl! I'm talking farmers, ranchers, miners, loggers, park rangers, people who live in tiny towns hundreds of miles from the nearest city.

That’s a minority of the US population, nobody is saying they can’t drive in rural areas. Stop making up ridiculous arguments here. Rural areas existed before sprawl and people drove or used horses, took trains (and yes basically any significant town was served by interurban rail lines in the Midwest and East Coast pre-car).

On the other hand half the US population shouldn’t be driving 20-50 miles from their trashy McMansion to their downtown job and back every day, it’s just bad all around.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 17, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Americans sure love their cars!

*does everything else in their car to distract them from driving*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Those people should keep driving cars or snow mobiles or boats or bush planes or horses or some combo thereof.