Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I initially read "Entertainment" as "Eternity" for some reason and it made perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
E: can't read

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Two for one headline special:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

trapped mouse posted:

Rahm Emanuel’s brother. Shittiness runs in the family.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If I were seventy‐eight years old, I would not hire that man.

I mean, I wouldn’t hire him at all, but especially not under that condition.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

trapped mouse posted:

Related to Rahm. These people are really corrupt and evil also.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I don't know, making a statement like that will make him an enemy of most American politicians.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

trapped mouse posted:

the ends of "meaningful work" are, ultimately, "play" and this joyless creep should be extruded through a play-doh fun factory

that disingenuous little "ummm" there at the end, boy I bet he felt real loving clever there

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Don't retire, just die instead

Pretty on the nose for modern America imo

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I won’t get to retire and I imagine many of you will not either. When I fail to perform sufficiently anymore the slug will erase me before I see it coming and what’s left over will be thrown down the memory hole

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Oscar Wild posted:

Related to Rahm. These people are really corrupt and evil also.

Third brother is noted shitbag talent agent Ari Emanuel, inspiration for Jeremy Piven’s character on Entourage (and word is that they toned the character down for TV).

I am glad that Ezekiel Emanuel is older than I am, so that I can taunt him on holopipe or whatever social media exists in 2032 about why he isn’t dead yet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/1339004895123230721?s=21

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

I am glad that Ezekiel Emanuel is older than I am, so that I can taunt him on holopipe or whatever social media exists in 2032 about why he isn’t dead yet.

These are the types of miserable people that live forever, so yes we should totally quote his own words at him

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AlbieQuirky posted:

Third brother is noted shitbag talent agent Ari Emanuel, inspiration for Jeremy Piven’s character on Entourage (and word is that they toned the character down for TV).

The Secret Service should look into this E. E. guy. The president‐elect is seventy‐eight years old.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Logan's Run but instead of killing the old people we just cut their cable connection. No internet and no television.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Indian fact checking sites are great, because they do articles even about things that are so ridiculous that the Westerners don't bother.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fact checking is serious business in India, in some areas you have Pizzagate lynch mobs forming on a regular basis. These fact-checking guys deserve respect.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You know how Dracula sometimes go by the alias Alucard? A Malaysian district officer got into trouble when a new stadium in his area, the name allegedly taken from Spanish/Greek and Arabic words, is really just his own name backwards and was not named through official channels.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair fact checking in the west has also become a joke where it’s now functionally no different than an opinion piece

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair fact checking in the west has also become a joke where it’s now functionally no different than an opinion piece

:smug: Well actually everything sucks. :smug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

EasilyConfused posted:

:smug: Well actually everything sucks. :smug:

I mean it does, I saw a fact check that said while the facts said were correct, they shouldn’t have been so mean.

Fact checking has functionally just become an extension of the fact checkers politics

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it does, I saw a fact check that said while the facts said were correct, they shouldn’t have been so mean.

Fact checking has functionally just become an extension of the fact checkers politics

Big Fact :argh:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean yes? Are you seriously saying major newspapers have no power or did you just not think this through

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

6:32 PM
June 27 by Glenn Kessler
Sanders on concentration of wealth
“Three people in this country own more wealth than the bottom half of America”

— Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.)

This snappy talking point is based on numbers that add up, but it’s also a question of comparing apples to oranges. Sanders is drawing on a 2017 report from the left-leaning Institute for Policy Studies, which said that three billionaires — Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos (who owns The Washington Post) and Warren Buffett — had total wealth of $248.5 billion, compared with $245 billion for the bottom 160 million people in the United States. The wealth of the three men has grown even more since then.

But people in the bottom half have essentially no wealth, as debts cancel out whatever assets they might have. So the comparison is not especially meaningful. We once gave Sanders Three Pinocchios when he asserted that the six wealthiest people had more wealth than the half of the world’s population. That was an even more problematic comparison, and we said at the time it was better to focus on inequality within a country.

quote:

Regular readers of the Fact Checker might remember that we gave Sanders One Pinocchio in 2016 for a political ad claiming that the 15 richest Americans gained as much wealth as the bottom 100 million in a two-year period. While technically correct, the condensed sound bite lacked nuance about wealth accumulation and debt in the United States.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

a chucklehead posted:

Sanders is drawing on a 2017 report from the left-leaning Institute for Policy Studies, which said that three billionaires — Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos (who owns The Washington Post) and Warren Buffett — had total wealth of $248.5 billion, compared with $245 billion for the bottom 160 million people in the United States. The wealth of the three men has grown even more since then.

But people in the bottom half have essentially no wealth, as debts cancel out whatever assets they might have. 

(directed at the author of the article, not Platystemon)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Just loling at obviously biased fact checkers who decide “while sanders was correct bezos, gates and buffet own more money than half of America he’s actually a filthy lier Because those half of Americans don’t actually own anything” as if that somehow makes the statement untrue.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

While it's true that what he said was correct, it would be truer to say that what he said was extremely correct, and therefore, in a way, what he said was not technically merely "correct". So he's a liar?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
What he said was so true it caused a stack overflow error and cycled back to false.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s so ridiculous that I wonder if the goal is not just a hit job on candidates they don’t like, but discrediting the idea of truth in general and media scrutiny in particular.

https://twitter.com/ggreeneva/status/1143976408789766144

I bolded the only part of the following article that matters. Well, that, the original statement, and the rating (‘Three Pinocchios’)

quote:

Sanders’s flawed statistic: 500,000 medical bankruptcies a year

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) has said medical debt has caused 500,000 bankruptcies annually. However, correlation is not causation. (Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

By Salvador Rizzo
August 28

“500,000 people go bankrupt every year because they cannot pay their outrageous medical bills.”
— Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), in an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union,” Aug. 25, 2019
“500,000 Americans will go bankrupt this year from medical bills.”

— Sanders, in a tweet, Aug. 20, 2019

This claim from Sanders — that medical bills drive half a million people into bankruptcy every year — relies partly on research from former Harvard professor and now senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.).

Sanders and Warren are seeking the Democratic presidential nomination, both running on a platform that includes universal health care and lower costs for patients. Interestingly, though, Warren doesn’t appear to make the same claim about 500,000 medical bankruptcies per year.
The Sanders campaign told us he was citing a statistic from a public health journal. Critics say the study he’s citing casts too wide a net because it counts anyone who mentioned medical bills or illness among their reasons for declaring bankruptcy, not just those who said it was the main reason or a big piece.

Bankruptcies typically involve multiple causes, and in some cases, medical bills may be a small piece of the pie. Sanders glosses over those nuances, stating that health-care costs drove people to bankruptcy in all 500,000 cases. The study he’s citing doesn’t establish that.

The Facts

The federal courts recorded 750,489 nonbusiness bankruptcy filings in the year that ended March 31, down 0.8 percent from the previous 12-month period, according to data from the federal judiciary.

Sanders said 500,000 people were driven to bankruptcy by medical bills. A Sanders campaign aide said he was relying on an editorial published by the American Journal of Public Health (AJPH) in March.

That study, led by David U. Himmelstein, took a sample of bankruptcy court filings from 2013 to 2016, identified 3,200 bankrupt debtors and mailed them a survey. The response rate was 29.4 percent, with 910 responses and 108 surveys returned as undeliverable.

Debtors were asked whether medical expenses, or loss of work related to illness, contributed to their bankruptcies. Of those who responded, 66.5 percent said at least one of those factors contributed “somewhat” or “very much.”

Sixty-six percent of 750,000 is 500,000, so Sanders’s math adds up at first glance.
“The majority (58.5%) ‘very much’ or ‘somewhat’ agreed that medical expenses contributed, and 44.3% cited illness-related work loss; 66.5% cited at least one of these two medical contributors—equivalent to about 530,000 medical bankruptcies annually,” the AJPH editorial says.

This study includes a range of people for whom medical expenses or illness contributed “somewhat” to bankruptcy. What does “somewhat” mean? It’s broad enough to mean “slightly,” “fairly” or “moderately.” Sanders’s claim works only by erasing this ambiguity and taking “somewhat” to mean “mostly.”

The AJPH editorial did not undergo the same peer-reviewed editing process as a research article.

“In AJPH, many editorials are commissioned by the editor-in-chief from experts in their field(s), as a forum to present their most recent or preliminary findings on specific topics, or to coincide with significant dates or events,” said Morgan Richardson, an AJPH editor. “Lack of peer review does not indicate inaccuracy, but editorials are less likely to be cited in the scientific literature as evidence because the standard of rigor is different due to context.”

However, Himmelstein used a methodology similar to what he, Warren and other researchers used in a 2005 peer-reviewed study that they updated in 2009. Warren was a co-author of those two studies, but not the AJPH editorial published in March.

“Illness or medical bills contributed to 62.1% of all bankruptcies in 2007,” according to the study from 2009. (Again, the term used here is “contributed” and not “caused.”)

It’s interesting to note that the rate rose from 62.1 percent in 2007 to 66.5 percent from 2013 to 2016. The Affordable Care Act, a.k.a. Obamacare, was enacted in between the two studies. This line of research thus suggests medical bankruptcies became more prevalent after the law’s passage.

“We did not ask about the sole or main reason for bankruptcy, because our past experience indicates that this is a meaningless question,” Himmelstein, a professor at CUNY’s Hunter College who supports single-payer health care, wrote in an email. “The vast majority of debtors suffer multiple problems that bring them to file, and cannot identify a single problem among them. Thus, if an illness led to lost work time (and hence income) and medical bills, debtors cannot separate out these different problems; they are of a piece.”

Craig Garthwaite, a health-care policy expert in the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University, said the study was flawed. “It’s basically saying that if you go bankrupt and you have medical debt, that’s the cause of your bankruptcy,” he said. “That’s not the way you can do this kind of analysis.”

He added: “Rather than looking at a sample of people who go bankrupt and see how many have medical debt, look at a sample of a bunch of people who have medical debt, and how many of them go bankrupt. And that gives you an idea of causality.”

A group of researchers tried that approach in a peer-reviewed study published by the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) in 2018. Looking at a random sample of California hospital patients between 2003 and 2007, they found that medical bankruptcies represented 4 percent of all bankruptcies. The patients were between ages 25 and 64 and included only those admitted to a hospital for non-birth-related reasons.

“Based on our estimate of 4 percent of bankruptcy filings per year and the approximately 800,000 bankruptcy filings per year, our number would be much closer to something on the order of 30,000-50,000 bankruptcies caused by a hospitalization,” one of the co-authors of the NEJM study, economist Raymond Kluender of Harvard Business School, wrote in an email.

“This would lead us to be skeptical of the 500,000 medical bankruptcies statistic, but that very much depends on how one defines a medical bankruptcy. … An enormous share of households have some amount of medical debt, so any survey of individuals will report a high share of them have medical debt but this does not imply that the debt caused them to file for bankruptcy.”

Some people could still face high levels of medical debt without ever going through a hospital, and they wouldn’t be counted in the NEJM study.

Warren, Himmelstein and their co-authors have criticized the NEJM study, which in turn criticized their work. Asked about the dueling research, Garthwaite said of the NEJM study: “I do think they’re getting much closer to what the number is.”

A Sanders campaign aide wrote in an email: “Medical debt caused by the greed of pharmaceutical and insurance corporations is crippling millions of Americans, and it’s clear that 500,000 is the bare minimum number of bankruptcy filings caused by medical debt each year.”

Linking to the 2009 article by Warren and her co-authors, the Sanders aide added: “Research attributed 62% of bankruptcies to medical problems in 2007 and found them rising since 2001. And according to reports from the federal judiciary, the total non-business bankruptcy appears to hover around 1 million cases annually since 2006. Over 40% of Americans, or 79 million people, are struggling with medical debt, which is why Bernie knows we must pass Medicare-for-all.”

When we asked Himmelstein whether Sanders was quoting his study accurately, he said yes.

Himmelstein wrote: “37 percent of filers said medical bills ‘very much’ contributed to their bankruptcy. Even if you use that restricted definition, then Sanders’s statement is accurate — or an underestimate. There are about 700,000 bankruptcy filings each year. Many filings are joint husband/wife filings, and based on our past research, we estimate that on average 2.71 persons reside in each debtor’s household. So the total number of persons who undergo bankruptcy is about 1.9 million annually.

“37 percent of 1.9 million is a bit over 700,000. Even if you only count the husband and wife in a filing, the number suffering a bankruptcy to which medical bills ‘very much’ contributed is about 500,000.”

But here, we’ve moved from the statistic Sanders cited from the AJPH editorial to a different number that relies on separate inferences. We will note that the study refers to “cases,” not people.

Garthwaite said of Sanders’s claim: “It’s wrong. It’s just wrong. Just because the number’s big doesn’t make it right, even if you want to agree with the premise. And we should be careful about this. I’m not saying that medical debt and bankruptcy is not a problem, but I think we should have a conversation about the appropriate scale of the problem.”

The Pinocchio Test

This is a classic case of cherry-picking a number from a scientific study and twisting it to make a political point.

Sanders’s statements — “500,000 people go bankrupt every year because they cannot pay their outrageous medical bills” and “500,000 Americans will go bankrupt this year from medical bills” — are unambiguous. He’s saying medical debts caused those 500,000 bankruptcies. However, correlation is not causation, and the study he’s citing doesn’t establish causation for all 500,000 bankruptcy cases.

One of the authors sent us rough estimates showing that Sanders might be on target, but those numbers deserve scientific scrutiny before they can be taken as fact.

In the meantime, the statistic Sanders’s campaign cited includes bankrupt debtors for whom medical expenses may have been a minor or relatively small contributing factor. A different, peer-reviewed study arrived at a much different conclusion, suggesting the medical bankruptcy rate is far lower, although it measured only hospital patients and not all types of medical debt.

The omissions and twists are significant enough to merit Three Pinocchios for Sanders.

Three Pinocchios

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

They absolutely know that most people only read the headline and then a huge chunk of the rest don't go more than a few paragraphs in at most. Burying the lede is definitely done to push agendas.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the headline is the "lede"

the rest is just bullshit to make it look like an article and who cares, nobody but nerds will read it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The WaPo is a bezos rag lmfao

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

One of the authors [of the papers we're using to debunk this claim] sent us rough estimates showing that Sanders might be on target, but those numbers deserve scientific scrutiny before they can be taken as fact.

:lmao:

What a disingenuous prick.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

does anyone in that article give a definition of "commune"? also does the journalist challenge the predictably wrong definition?

i mean know but ugh

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Carthag Tuek posted:

does anyone in that article give a definition of "commune"? also does the journalist challenge the predictably wrong definition?

i mean know but ugh

"they want to create the togetherness of intentional communities like co-ops, communes, or Burning Man without the anticapitalist politics or freegan cuisine.Rotating committees of residents determine which rental applicants get approved, and the process involves more checks of vibe than credit. Leases come with signed commitments to community values, and instead of simply showing up for scheduled events, residents are encouraged to create their own classes and shindigs for the rest of the building. Only 10% of the units are set aside as affordable for low-income tenants, but all are currently occupied by poets.

The rooms are pitched at the upper middle of the rental market in central L.A., with rents starting at $1,715 a month, plus a $210 fee to cover utilities, housekeeping, free coffee and Sunday dinners, yoga classes and other events.

Specifically, they’re pitched at people like Kimberlee Archer. When Archer left Facebook for a high-ranking job at Snap in May, the 38-year-old marketing executive could have rented an upscale pad with ocean views or found a spot up in the hills. But she wanted to live with other people, pandemic be damned. Before leaving Oakland, she googled “coliving space.”

A few weeks later, she moved into one of Treehouse’s units — really just a bedroom and a private bathroom, furnished in the style of a cozy boutique hotel"

You get all the smugness of "intentional communities" but everybody still loves money. For $2K a month you get a bedroom and one free meal per week.

Look how quirky we are.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If that doesn't scream 'capitalist commune' to you then you are a prescriptivist and not invited to my commune.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It does scream the first part, and much more

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

But she wanted to live with other people, pandemic be damned.

lol capitalists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I just want to show up to break down laughing unceasingly until they have to pick me off the floor and carrying me away.