Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I remember farming to max gold in chapter 3 only to get the harsh lesson of "you can't take it with you" for chapter 5.

So every playthrough after that I skipped the iron safe and made sure to have a full inventory of swords of malice. Then the remake added the Bag and well that was the end of any and all gold concerns once Taloon rejoined in chapter 5 because you could just drop stacks of 99 of items in it. I don't suggest doing this as a first time player. It's not really needed and it does take awhile to stockpile that stuff in the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

I remember farming to max gold in chapter 3 only to get the harsh lesson of "you can't take it with you" for chapter 5.

So every playthrough after that I skipped the iron safe and made sure to have a full inventory of swords of malice. Then the remake added the Bag and well that was the end of any and all gold concerns once Taloon rejoined in chapter 5 because you could just drop stacks of 99 of items in it. I don't suggest doing this as a first time player. It's not really needed and it does take awhile to stockpile that stuff in the bag.

gently caress yes. You can just ransack that poo poo if you want haha.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Alena rules in every context. She's real fun in DQH/2.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
DQH2 owns pretty hard. I imported it when it came out in Japan. I should give the western release a shot.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
FYI you can get DQXIs for $30 off of Epic right now since they are giving out $10 coupons like candy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are DQ 1, 2 and 3 good buys on Switch? I don't mind the new graphics.

I know they're old rear end games with some archaic things but I've been on a kick playing games like that this year.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are DQ 1, 2 and 3 good buys on Switch? I don't mind the new graphics.

I know they're old rear end games with some archaic things but I've been on a kick playing games like that this year.

Sure, they're a totally fine way of playing things. DQ3 won't have the animated sprites or Pachisi or whatever it was called, but I never liked that thing anyway :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jupiter Jazz posted:

DQH2 owns pretty hard. I imported it when it came out in Japan. I should give the western release a shot.

If they make a DQH3 they really need to learn to do co-op properly. I was real excited to play DQH2 with friends until I read about how the co-op "works" in the game. :sigh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sure, they're a totally fine way of playing things. DQ3 won't have the animated sprites or Pachisi or whatever it was called, but I never liked that thing anyway :v:

Is there something that lists all the differences between the versions? I'm torn between Switch and mobile. I do prefer how characters look on the mobile version but it's mobile.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is there something that lists all the differences between the versions? I'm torn between Switch and mobile. I do prefer how characters look on the mobile version but it's mobile.

I don't think Switch has any differences from mobile other than the graphics.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

SeANMcBAY posted:

Famicom/NES - the originals
SNES - amazing remakes. III has animated sprites. I+II are great too. No official translation in English but the best versions.
GBC - great and with gameplay additions but the graphics aren't good as SNES. Still among the best looking on the system though. Watch the GBC version of III's intro. It's crazy for a Gameboy game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS3k3vInJPM GBC might be on par with SNES but I still pretty SNES a tiny, tiny bit.
Mobile - pretty drat good. Retranslated entirely English with spiffy new translations but no animated sprites.Added ability to quick save just in case.
Switch - seems to be the same as besides graphics?

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 18, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I think my favourite thing about the re-translations is the World of Darkness switching to olde English.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
My dream is for them to do DQ1-4 with XI graphics. keep the gameplay the exact same but with those graphics. Bruh.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 18, 2020

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i want dq7 and 8 but in 2D like how 11's 2D looks

im playing through 8 right now and i keep getting lost on the world map because i'm bad at remembering what direction i'm supposed to be going

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I could go for a remake of IX.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Hell I'd take a phone port.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Famicom/NES - the originals
SNES - amazing remakes. III has animated sprites. I+II are great too. No official translation in English but the best versions.
GBC - great and with gameplay additions but the graphics aren't good as SNES. Still among the best looking on the system though. Watch the GBC version of III's intro. It's crazy for a Gameboy game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS3k3vInJPM GBC might be on par with SNES but I still pretty SNES a tiny, tiny bit.
Mobile - pretty drat good. Retranslated entirely English with spiffy new translations but no animated sprites.Added ability to quick save just in case.
Switch - seems to be the same as besides graphics?

Thanks for this. Now I’m torn between Switch and mobile.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Evil Fluffy posted:

If they make a DQH3 they really need to learn to do co-op properly. I was real excited to play DQH2 with friends until I read about how the co-op "works" in the game. :sigh:

How does it (not) work?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

serefin99 posted:

How does it (not) work?

I think it's just the 'dungeons' which are just interconnected boxes and not any of the 'actual' game

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Realistic Me: I'd like the mobile ports of 4-6 on Switch and a Switch remake of 9. And maybe ports of the 3DS versions of 7 and 8, while we're at it.

Crazy Person Me: Gimme full remakes of 1-9 on Switch with upgraded graphics and 2D modes and and and...

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I think a remake/port of 9 is highly likely the next thing. At least I hope so. In the mean time I think I'll buy DQ1 on the Switch and replay that game for the billionth time.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Bongo Bill posted:

There has been a nonzero amount of still-pretty-low-key hinting that it's up next.

At this point, every single DQ game is available on some kind of modern platform (well, not X outside of Japan, but :v:) and in a fashion that will likely be durable for a decade or more, except for IX. IX is trapped on the OG DS and no longer has any of its online functions. It is extremely obviously in need of an update and re-release and there's no way Hori & co. are not working on it.

This coming year, the 35th anniversary, is probably going to have some bombshell announcements.

EDIT: Also I'm replaying DQB2 and god fuckin' drat but I love every single thing about this game.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 18, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SpaceDrake posted:

There has been a nonzero amount of still-pretty-low-key hinting that it's up next.

At this point, every single DQ game is available on some kind of modern platform (well, not X outside of Japan, but :v:) and in a fashion that will likely be durable for a decade or more, except for IX. IX is trapped on the OG DS and no longer has any of its online functions. It is extremely obviously in need of an update and re-release and there's no way Hori & co. are not working on it.

This coming year, the 35th anniversary, is probably going to have some bombshell announcement.s

9 is also the only one where almost every piece of armor changed your appearance and had the most in depth class system. 9 with the graphics of 11 would be loving amazing.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Skwirl posted:

9 is also the only one where almost every piece of armor changed your appearance and had the most in depth class system. 9 with the graphics of 11 would be loving amazing.

In fact as I was posting I started thinking "man I never beat DQIX. I should do that. But what if they're making an updated version that looks better...? :ohdear:"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

In fact as I was posting I started thinking "man I never beat DQIX. I should do that. But what if they're making an updated version that looks better...? :ohdear:"

Yeah, that's the problem I have too.. flappin' give me that remake now

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I want a IX rerelease to have costume slots on top of regular equipment slots so I can min/max my stats and my aesthetics.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Commander Keene posted:

Realistic Me: I'd like the mobile ports of 4-6 on Switch and a Switch remake of 9. And maybe ports of the 3DS versions of 7 and 8, while we're at it.

Crazy Person Me: Gimme full remakes of 1-9 on Switch with upgraded graphics and 2D modes and and and...

:hmmyes:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
IV mobile was the first DQ I ever played and I can't imagine playing it without party chat. I want IV DS for my collection someday but I'll probably never actually open it lol

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Deified Data posted:

IV mobile was the first DQ I ever played and I can't imagine playing it without party chat. I want IV DS for my collection someday but I'll probably never actually open it lol

Party chat owns. Who is your favorite character in IV?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Party chat owns. Who is your favorite character in IV?

Torneko easily. Spending his chapter financing his shop by running around and finding progressively more expensive loot was a really compelling feedback loop to me - it's like what I'd do if I were actually RPing a merchant in a fantasy setting.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Deified Data posted:

Torneko easily. Spending his chapter financing his shop by running around and finding progressively more expensive loot was a really compelling feedback loop to me - it's like what I'd do if I were actually RPing a merchant in a fantasy setting.

There's a game on Steam where you play as a girl who runs a shop and goes into dungeons to get more poo poo to sell. Forgot the name but it was a legit dungeon crawler and had the same Torneko feedbook loop without as much adventuring.

I love how hands off Torneko's section is. Someone mentioned how linear IV is, but Torneko's section is completely hands off and how you get to the amount of money required is up to you. I also love the random poo poo. The structure of the chapter is genius. Torneko doesn't say a single word but I wanted my fat daddy to be the best merchant in the land.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Jupiter Jazz posted:

There's a game on Steam where you play as a girl who runs a shop and goes into dungeons to get more poo poo to sell. Forgot the name but it was a legit dungeon crawler and had the same Torneko feedbook loop without as much adventuring.

Recettear. IIRC it was localized by a goon.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Somebody's going to have to take one for the team and start playing IX on DS in order to cause them to announce the remake.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think it's just the 'dungeons' which are just interconnected boxes and not any of the 'actual' game

IIRC you can play the actual game levels too but you have to have beaten them first in single player, and you have to remake your group every time you want to run a level in co-op. So the campaign co-op is like an awful one-by-one rerun with others and not, you know, co-op campaign gameplay.

I'd even settle for a MHW-style "must watch cutscenes first because reasons" setup.

SpaceDrake posted:

A DQIX remake needs to let you get the locker maps without shenanigans and/or a gently caress awful amount of grinding because if you want to kill high level legacy bosses it's still a lot of level grinding even with the metal-kings-only floor of that one map.

Edmund Lava posted:

I bought that game years ago and still haven't gotten around to playing it even though it always sounds really fun.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Edmund Lava posted:

Well a small team, but one of them is a goon, yes. They post in this very thread, actually it's SpaceDrake

whydirt posted:

I want a IX rerelease to have costume slots on top of regular equipment slots so I can min/max my stats and my aesthetics.

WoW and Diablo 3 have this very thing (via the Transmog systems) and it's awesome.

Party chat is cool and all, but my favorite moments of it so far were using it in 6 with Milly and/or Ashlynn in the party and after talking to a cat. :refurb:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

IIRC you can play the actual game levels too but you have to have beaten them first in single player, and you have to remake your group every time you want to run a level in co-op. So the campaign co-op is like an awful one-by-one rerun with others and not, you know, co-op campaign gameplay.

I'd even settle for a MHW-style "must watch cutscenes first because reasons" setup.

Oh bleh. AC For Answer did that too and it was stupid there as well.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

whydirt posted:

Like this is the exact thing that I keep remembering whenever I try to boot up IX again: the lack of aesthetic control (in a game that otherwise goes all in on customization) combined with some other missing QoL stuff and general performance issues (the DS struggles-at-best to run the game in a lot of places) are real turn-offs. The normal NPCs being DQVII-style sprites when "major" NPCs and the party are polygonal is also shockingly ugly now, if I'm being absolutely honest.

IX is definitely in the greatest need of a remake at this point. There's a lot of areas where it just needs help and the benefit of stronger hardware and an additional decade of lessons learned in design.

Ofecks posted:

WoW and Diablo 3 have this very thing (via the Transmog systems) and it's awesome.

As does XI S and Builders 2. It's swiftly become something of a standard feature and I couldn't be happier. And IX needs it badly.

Edmund Lava posted:

Two goons, actually (Robin is another longtime goon). But, yeah. :shobon:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh bleh. AC For Answer did that too and it was stupid there as well.
Didn't the Crystal Chronicles remaster handle multiplayer similarly, and that's why everyone hates it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Didn't the Crystal Chronicles remaster handle multiplayer similarly, and that's why everyone hates it?

More or less, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

Like this is the exact thing that I keep remembering whenever I try to boot up IX again: the lack of aesthetic control (in a game that otherwise goes all in on customization) combined with some other missing QoL stuff and general performance issues (the DS struggles-at-best to run the game in a lot of places) are real turn-offs. The normal NPCs being DQVII-style sprites when "major" NPCs and the party are polygonal is also shockingly ugly now, if I'm being absolutely honest.

It was ugly back then as well. With the performance issues I wonder if going all in on 3D NPCs was just too much for the game to handle at times.