Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Explosionface posted:

I'm going to use this as an extra reason to have some good bbq in KC while staying overnight after my son's visit to Children's Mercy.

you should do this

in my opinion the three best spots in town right now are q39, which is near westport, slaps, which is in kck, and Scott's catering, which is up by the airport. as much as I hate to admit it they have definitely left the old pitmasters behind when it comes to barbecue quality.

Scott's catering in particular is absolutely extraordinary but they have very limited hours and it's a ways away from downtown. if you're coming in midday from the north though it is absolutely the place to go

hope everything is all right with the kid! we took ours there a couple of years ago and it was bar none the best hospital experience I've ever had in my life

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

That's kinda been the theme this offseason

Not many dudes have signed, but the ones that signed have gotten paid

It's a funny offseason because teams are cutting payroll, but like, sabermetrically. So players at less valuable positions like relief pitcher, or corner OF with mediocre defense, get non-tendered, while starters and up the middle defenders get paid. Like it seems weird that guys like Brad Hand, Archie Bradley, and Eddie Rosario get cut while James McCann and Kevin Gausman are hot commodities. I think most fans would say that Brad Hand is a better baseball player than Kevin Gausman. But as a SP Gausman is more Valuable or w/e, I guess.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Well played, Fenway Video Board person.

https://twitter.com/CopleyScott17/status/1339651946286882817?s=19

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Cubs signed an actual guy, kind of:

https://twitter.com/GDubCub/status/1339632213512622080

Looks like a career of almost exclusively poo poo results, but he has good spin rate. So right up the Cubs alley of pointless dumpster dives that are almost a guarantee to not pan out.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

looking forward to this guy racking up HOLDS

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cubs continuing to sign scrap heap pitchers in the hopes they pull a rabbit out of the hat. Some things never change.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

Cubs continuing to sign scrap heap pitchers in the hopes they pull a rabbit out of the hat. Some things never change.

to be fair, when they did sign their big money closer it was craig kimbrel

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is Adam Warren still available? I think it's time for a reunion.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

to be fair, when they did sign their big money closer it was craig kimbrel

Can the Cubs just give up on the concept of pitchers? Go all in on the offense, let a random fan in attendance take the mound.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

Can the Cubs just give up on the concept of pitchers? Go all in on the offense, let a random fan in attendance take the mound.

ironically the cubs have been completely led by pitching because none of their hitters can hit jack poo poo for the past several years

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

Looks like a career of almost exclusively poo poo results, but he has good spin rate. So right up the Cubs alley of pointless dumpster dives that are almost a guarantee to not pan out.

Might as well start printing World Series tickets now.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
What happens when Hendricks reaches Jared Weaver levels of velocity?

R.D. Mangles posted:

looking forward to this guy racking up HOLDS

Back when I was super into fantasy baseball I was in a couple leagues where holds were tracked and oh my god the dumpster diving on bullpen arms I did

e: gently caress, it's Jered not Jared

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 17, 2020

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Holder is the very definition of a JAG. He was okay at soaking up the middle innings but he's got no real out pitch. Game can get away from him easily

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

What happens when Hendricks reaches Jared Weaver levels of velocity?

Hendricks' velo actually ticked up across the board this season, he's talked recently about how he's been working with the training staff to try and add a bit of velo without sacrificing command. Presumably contributed to him low-key dropping a 2.88 ERA and league-best 8:1 K/BB ratio this season.

To answer your question though he gets hit a lot harder once his FB dips below ~86 MPH so I'd imagine he'd struggle if his velo fell off.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Holder had his best year when he entirely shelved his insane spin-rate curve that was his calling card in AAA. Holder can be fine, it's not a signing worth really caring about either way.

Sydin posted:

Is Adam Warren still available? I think it's time for a reunion.

NO HE'S BACK WITH THE YANKEES YOU STAY AWAY FROM MY BOY.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sydin posted:

He's so bad.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Intruder posted:

Back when I was super into fantasy baseball I was in a couple leagues where holds were tracked and oh my god the dumpster diving on bullpen arms I did

e: gently caress, it's Jered not Jared

That's why I don't like fantasy baseball, so many stupid weightings and it's usually just adding up numbers to see who won.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

He's so bad.

So he'll be fine at mop up guy or innings chewer got it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Chamale posted:

That's why I don't like fantasy baseball, so many stupid weightings and it's usually just adding up numbers to see who won.

H2h at least captures some of the randomness of baseball, roto is for the true power-nerds.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Chamale posted:

Large sample sizes and fewer traumatic injuries are why I've won my fantasy baseball league several times, but never won football. Only playing 12-13 regular season games and being one play away from your 1st-round pick being out for the season at any moment makes fantasy football infuriating.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
fantasy football is all about squad depth and weekly matchups

fantasy baseball is all about predicting regression to the mean. points leagues are by far the best, by the way.

conclusion: i'm not really a huge basketball fan but fantasy basketball is the best fantasy game

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the best fantasy sports league i did was a "millen league" that basically reversed points and was tweaked for the shittiest players, the draft where people were taking jimmy clausen #1 was great, and late-season bills-browns games had championship implications

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Random dumb stuff time. (What else is baseball for?)

Eddie Robinson turned 100 on Tuesday.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/robined01.shtml
The 21st verifiable MLB player to have hit 100 years old and one of only 15 livings players that played a game in the 1940s. At 1315 games, he had by far the longest career of the remaining 15. Not that surprising, he also played the earliest game of any of the survivors - debuting on Sept 9th, 1942.

The only other living player to have appeared in a game in 1943 was Chris Haughey. Pitched 7 innings in relief on the last game of the season - on his 18th birthday and never made another appearance. WWII baseball was nuts.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/haughch01.shtml

The next oldest living player, George Elder will turn 100 on March 10th.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/elderge01.shtml

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey ladies

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/1340079677616971783

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Didn't Jose have a pretty public breakdown after a breakup a few years ago? Google only shows me stuff about Logan Paul and Josie Canseco

e: Oh adding arrested to the search term brought up that he beat up his second wife

So maybe steer clear

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

really worried that "speeding dating" is not a typo

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

elentar posted:

really worried that "speeding dating" is not a typo

:laffo: he thinks it's a clever term of art for road head

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Screenshot incriminating tweets, people

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Screenshot incriminating tweets, people

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

the best fantasy sports league i did was a "millen league" that basically reversed points and was tweaked for the shittiest players, the draft where people were taking jimmy clausen #1 was great, and late-season bills-browns games had championship implications

Those are great because you need to have lovely players, but they can't be so lovely that they don't get starts.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

all suck leagues were super fun and my mvp was glendon rusch

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like half of MLB Trade Rumors' site right now is the Reds discussing trading pitchers. I guess they're just going to blow it up?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like half of MLB Trade Rumors' site right now is the Reds discussing trading pitchers. I guess they're just going to blow it up?

Nobody else is trying so why not pocket the 30-40 million?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1340824663593799680

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
This sure is an offseason

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
"Our fans have gone a year without being able to go to any games and it may be another half or year more if everything goes well. Surely they will love to come back to the games to see our rosters gutted, their favorites gone, but excited to buy jerseys of Chucklefuck SomeGuy"

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Shiroc posted:

"Our fans have gone a year without being able to go to any games and it may be another half or year more if everything goes well. Surely they will love to come back to the games to see our rosters gutted, their favorites gone, but excited to buy jerseys of Chucklefuck SomeGuy"

"Sure things are tough, but the nation's billionaires have increased their wealth by almost $1 trillion in total net worth since the pandemic shuttered the economy in March, and I think our fans are as proud as can be of this American success story, and are happy to sacrifice their enjoyment of the game to make it possible."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1341059030383538184?s=21

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

related from this weekend:
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1340835705568804865

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013