Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Did you want Disney to put "Grogu Will Return in <TBD>" at the end or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gabagool will return

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

At least it wasnt mace windu

radlum
May 13, 2013

teagone posted:

We don't know Grogu's fate. Maybe during his training with Luke early on, Grogu can't like concentrate and is unbalanced or whatever. Luke eventually senses that same strong attachment Grogu has that Ahsoka sensed and eventually has to bring him back to Din. That's a possibility, right?

Yeah, I'm guessing that by the end of next season Din will get a message from Luke (somehow?) about Grogu and he'll pick him up again. I'm sure Favreau and Filoni wouldn't leave Grogu to get killed by Kylo.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Thom12255 posted:

The one thing I think was too far was having R2 show up, completely unnecessary, didn't really make sense why he would leave the x-wing and come all the way up there. It feels like it was just knocking people over the head saying "YES THIS IS REALLY LUKE SKYWALKER FROM THOSE OLD MOVIES".
What I liked about R2's arrival this is that Grogu just instantly forgets that he's going to have to leave and wants to know more about the funny, beeping trash can.

Also: DARK TROOPERS! THIRD-PHASE DARK TROOPER THAT ARE JUST DROIDS NOW WHILE THE FIRST TYPES WERE JUST ARMOR! THAT WAS A THING FROM A 1995 GAME I LIKED AND AM SEEING IT NOW IN A LIVE-ACTION TV SHOW!

Baron von der Loon fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 18, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Grogu ends up as The Mandalore.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

R2 had candy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAnGuTU58FA

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Darktroopers were my favorite part of the episode. Especially when Mando lights one up and it looks like a flaming Terminator...
:allears:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Holy poo poo. That moment of "oh gently caress it's actually Luke!" was incredible, really did not think they'd go there. Din taking his helmet off to say goodbye was great and heartbreaking. I'm hoping we don't see much more of Luke regardless because I think it would really diminish the impact, but Filoni et al haven't let me down yet so I'm excited to see where they take it.

Boba and Fennec as Tatooine's new crime boss(es) rules extremely hard. It does make me curious about why Boba was apparently just loving around for five years doing nothing when he could have been doing this as soon as he crawled out of the sarlaac's rear end but maybe the show will cover that.

gently caress Bo-Katan.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Don't know why people are complaining about the quality of deepfake Luke, was miles better than Rogue One and Rise. I thought watching it that it was someone else who looked like him, so paused on the credits and spoiled the extra scene, lol. Was kind of tense as it was teased out, "who's it going to be" and getting anxious that it might look like Carrie in R1.

Do we know for sure that Book of Boba, which is a terrific name, isn't the subtitle of Mandalorian 3? It's weird that we saw that but not the aftermath of what happened on the bridge. Clearly Shand left to catch up with Boba, but we see no resolution to the Darksaber matter or what they do with Gideon. Bo-katan and Cara seem to have competing justices to turn him over to. But it should be interesting seeing these characters re-evaluate things, Din did all this to save Grogu who has now gone, and is clearly rethinking how he lives his life, Bo-katan either has to accept Jin as Mandalore or fight him. Boba has had an apparently transformative experience, not only shown by his conduct by his repainting his armor. I want Din to give Grogu the Darksaber someday.

Pedro was incredible saying goodbye, especially when you remember that he's talking either to a fairly static prop or a puppet with a stagehand's arm in it.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I think Katee Sackhoff is a terrible actress and every moment she is on screen I am cringing, so ... her playing bo-katan is a good fit

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I refuse to be negative about star wars as it’s one of the only good things I have at the moment

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If I’m Boba the Hutt the first thing I’m doing is getting a new pet rancor...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, come to think of it, it is weird that we didn't see what happened next on the bridge. They set up that Bo-Katan considers it a big loving problem that she didn't win the Darksaber. To the point that she may come to blows with Mando over it. Then Luke shows up and they pause that. Then the episode just ends. I feel like the next 10 seconds are gonna be, "...so now what?" Which is a weird place to leave the show. It's not really a cliffhanger. Just a weird dangling thread.

I guess maybe next season we'll find Mando working with Bo-Katan (since she brought up how she hoped he'd reconsider working with her, and he didn't rule it out), and how she's having a hard time rallying the troops because she's not considered their true leader, and that causes tension? Coupled with Mando not sure he even belongs here?

Actually...yeah, that would work fine.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Cartoon Man posted:

If I’m Boba the Hutt the first thing I’m doing is getting a new pet rancor...

I still can't decide whether Fett planting himself on the rancor grate to confront Bib Fortuna despite having full knowledge that it's a trapdoor into at the very least a dungeon and possibly a dungeon freshly stocked with murderbeasts was baller as hell or just dumb. I mean, I know the man has a jetpack, but come on! You have seen Jabba drop smug assholes down that thing!

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
It feels to me like The Book of Boba Fett is the next season and not a spin off. Just shift focus to another Mandolorian and make the series a little more anthology like?

Buy them time to increase scope if they shift back to Din (or a new Din adjacent Mando) for a future season. I assume Gideon killed Bo Katan and Din taking off his helmet was both him making sure the child would remember his face and him formally breaking his creed to take on the responsibilities of the Darksaber. The saber will be his new surrogate child that he must shepherd to its rightful place/owner. Oh, the funny hijinks that sword will get into each and every week just like Grogu before him.

*oh wait, I totally missed Bo-Katan get up. You'd think the villain would actually accomplish something of consequence if they dedicate that much time to him getting his hands on a gun.

Neon Knight fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 18, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pedro's facial acting is really good. When Grogu touches his face and he makes that pained expression, that hit pretty hard. Good face reveal scene, A+ would get choked up to again :unsmith:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, come to think of it, it is weird that we didn't see what happened next on the bridge. They set up that Bo-Katan considers it a big loving problem that she didn't win the Darksaber. To the point that she may come to blows with Mando over it. Then Luke shows up and they pause that. Then the episode just ends. I feel like the next 10 seconds are gonna be, "...so now what?" Which is a weird place to leave the show. It's not really a cliffhanger. Just a weird dangling thread.

I guess maybe next season we'll find Mando working with Bo-Katan (since she brought up how she hoped he'd reconsider working with her, and he didn't rule it out), and how she's having a hard time rallying the troops because she's not considered their true leader, and that causes tension? Coupled with Mando not sure he even belongs here?

I think next season is going to start with a time skip of maybe a few years and maybe have flashbacks of what happened through-out the season.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

My take as well.

Also, Mando has unfinished dialogue with the Armorer about The Way. Would love for him to show up at her new smithy, hold up the Darksaber and ask what the gently caress do I do with this.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Neon Knight posted:

It feels to me like The Book of Boba Fett is the next season and not a spin off. Just shift focus to another Mandolorian and make the series a little more anthology like?

Nope, Mando is confirmed for season 3 and historically launches in October. That gives them 8 episodes before Boba launches in December which was the start date given from the teaser.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Neon Knight posted:

This is what I thought too until I caught up on the thread and saw everyone saying it was a new show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cartoon Man posted:

Nope, Mando is confirmed for season 3 and historically launches in October. That gives them 8 episodes before Boba launches in December which was the start date given from the teaser.

They've confirmed Mando is coming back around Christmastime next year.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

They've confirmed Mando is coming back around Christmastime next year.

Interesting. I’m still pretty sure that Boba is not going to be Mando season 3, but we’ll see. No way they have two shows premiering at the same time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

Interesting. I’m still pretty sure that Boba is not going to be Mando season 3, but we’ll see. No way they have two shows premiering at the same time.

They could. Mando Fridays, Boba Mondays. I'd be down for that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cartoon Man posted:

Has anyone confirmed that Book of Boba Fett is going to be a series and not a one off special or something like that?

The Boba Fett Holiday Special.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cartoon Man posted:

Third option: The Mandalorian becomes an anthology series about different Mandalorians, and we just watched the Book of Din.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

If nothing else, it's kind of nice to re-establish that jedi are OP and uncommon as hell in the galaxy. Hope the other shows follow suit- oh who am I kidding.

Already bored by the setup for the Boba show but hey, I wasn't excited for this one. Bring on the avalanche of SW

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Now that I've said that, I want Book of Boba Fett to be Fett telling a story, Burl Ives style.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Has anyone confirmed that Book of Boba Fett is going to be a series and not a one off special or something like that?

The Boba Fett Holiday Special.

It could start off as a “special one-off series” but if it’s popular, they’ll turn it into a traditional show. I also think the same could happen with the Obi wan show as well.

Watch how much positive press the post credits Boba teaser gets today. It’s almost going to overshadow the Luke reveal if I had to guess.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cartoon Man posted:

It could start off as a “special one-off series” but if it’s popular, they’ll turn it into a traditional show. I also think the same could happen with the Obi wan show as well.

Watch how much positive press the post credits Boba teaser gets today. It’s almost going to overshadow the Luke reveal if I had to guess.

See I thought it was a cool teaser but it wasn't exactly earned. We've never been told that Boba has a grudge against Jabba's Palace or that he wants to take over the Tatooine underworld. Hell he has barely anything to do with the place outside of the couple of days he spent there in Jedi. That dude Din took the armor off would've made more sense (and I hope he comes back, that was easily the best episode of the whole show).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

stev posted:

Third option: The Mandalorian becomes an anthology series about different Mandalorians, and we just watched the Book of Din.

I love this idea actually. When it picks up Din's story again, could be The Book of Din, Volume 2. Would make sense of each episode being called a chapter.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

stev posted:

See I thought it was a cool teaser but it wasn't exactly earned. We've never been told that Boba has a grudge against Jabba's Palace or that he wants to take over the Tatooine underworld. Hell he has barely anything to do with the place outside of the couple of days he spent there in Jedi. That dude Din took the armor off would've made more sense (and I hope he comes back, that was easily the best episode of the whole show).

If Olyphant comes back (and he should) it will be in that Marshals of the New Republic show with Cara Dune. (Hopefully without Gina Carano but who knows.)

Belan
May 7, 2007
I need a high res version of that post credits scene.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Waiting on The Book of Sabine Wren.

Also, upon reflection, I had a more emotional reaction to Din revealing his face to Grogu than the Luke reveal.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chalk me up as one who kind of hated that Luke showed up. The whole episode ground to a halt for him to save the day and it pulled all the tension out of the scene for me. It was up there with the worst excesses of fanservice that Rogue One spat out and it dragged me right out of the episode. I'd have taken the New Republic starfighter patrol showing up over wonky CGI face Luuke.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Cartoon Man posted:

If Olyphant comes back (and he should) it will be in that Marshals of the New Republic show with Cara Dune. (Hopefully without Gina Carano but who knows.)

Gina needs to clean her act up before Disney kicks her for being too controversial. I love the way she jiggles in her costume when she runs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ehh, some of the fanservice in Rogue One is obnoxiously irrelevant to the story. At least Luke showing up has some narrative weight.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

teagone posted:

Waiting on The Book of Sabine Wren.

Also, upon reflection, I had a more emotional reaction to Din revealing his face to Grogu than the Luke reveal.

You think Cara Dune got a look at Din’s face and thought, “Thank gently caress, he’s handsome”?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

Gina needs to clean her act up before Disney kicks her for being too controversial. I love the way she jiggles in her costume when she runs.

Mando season 2 was already filmed when she started being a Chud. I’m kind of hoping that now that it’s over we’ll get an announcement sometime in the next month or two that her role is recast. Maybe they haven’t done it yet cause they didn’t want the bad press while the show still had yet to be shown.

I want her gone but if it’s not to be at least she seems to have shut up since leaving Twitter. Maybe that was a deal she worked out with Disney in order to stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

For all the talk of fundamentalists needing to shed their strict adherence to dogma I was a bit surprised that Bo wouldn't just be all gently caress it to the mythology of the darksaber