Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yes. All the Kitty Horrorshow games are worth checking out, many are free and all of them have this creepy PS1 shifty polygon aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Hey, I’m looking for a game. Something like underrail or caves of qud or maybe an isometric rpg. Something single player with deep systems that isn’t fps or really graphically intense. Also something that works well with a keyboard and mouse, no controller. Preferably not a roguelike/lite and something I can pause.

Games I have and like a bunch:
Kenshi
Factorio
Stellaris
All infinity engine games
Caves of Qud
Stardew Valley
Cold Waters

Games I don’t really like:
Divinity Original Sin

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tyranny an IE style game with a reactive plot, and you are basically a lawyer/sheriff in fantasy Rome. An excellent isometric turn-based rpg if you ever wondered what it would be like to play the evil path and actually have it be good.

I was about to write a big long post about ToME and then I saw you requested no roguelikes. I will say that the normal difficulty is very beginner-friendly, as you get a limited number of extra lives as you progress through the game.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

I meant to put in there Pillars and Tyranny in the games I have and played a lot.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Saul Kain posted:

Hey, I’m looking for a game. Something like underrail or caves of qud or maybe an isometric rpg. Something single player with deep systems that isn’t fps or really graphically intense. Also something that works well with a keyboard and mouse, no controller. Preferably not a roguelike/lite and something I can pause.

Kenshi
Factorio
Stellaris
Caves of Qud
Stardew Valley
Cold Waters

Divinity Original Sin

Amazing Cultivation Simulator is the latest craze in the opaque interlocking systems genre

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
Maybe the Shadowrun games?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Saul Kain posted:

Kenshi
Factorio
Stellaris
Caves of Qud
Stardew Valley
Cold Waters

Divinity Original Sin

I see you have Stellaris on there, have you tried Crusader Kings 2 or 3?

You mention graphics not being too intense, so if PC performance is limited CK2 is older (but still excellent) and should run better than CK3. The base game is also 100% free to play now. CK3 is an upgrade in almost every way but it requires slightly more PC power and is not free.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

I'm looking for a good laptop game. Work is slowing down for the end of the year and I'll have a few slow days before winter break.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Tyranny an IE style game with a reactive plot, and you are basically a lawyer/sheriff in fantasy Rome. An excellent isometric turn-based rpg if you ever wondered what it would be like to play the evil path and actually have it be good.

I was about to write a big long post about ToME and then I saw you requested no roguelikes. I will say that the normal difficulty is very beginner-friendly, as you get a limited number of extra lives as you progress through the game.

Heck ToME can be played with unlimited lives.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Saul Kain posted:

Kenshi
Factorio
Stellaris
Caves of Qud
Stardew Valley
Cold Waters

Divinity Original Sin

I would recommend you look at The Colonists, which has the cute (but not the plot) of Stardew Valley and the resource-management of Factorio. Also look at Oxygen Not Included. Furthermore, come to the Management Games thread, where you will find your people you can get more recs.

e: Leaving the linked tweet because it kinda fits the Steam thread, but the actual Management Games thread.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Fruits of the sea posted:

I bought Tyranny because I thought it was turn based and it wasnt and I hated it.
(Unless I'm confusing it with some other game.)

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Saul Kain posted:

Could I interest you in some top-down space games, like Starsector and Starcom: Nexus?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

iSurrender posted:

I bought Tyranny because I thought it was turn based and it wasnt and I hated it.
(Unless I'm confusing it with some other game.)

No, it's me confusing real-time with pause with turn-based. This is a little embarrassing, isometric rpgs are like my thing.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Ceyton posted:

Could I interest you in some top-down space games, like Starsector and Starcom: Nexus?

Played both of those. Both are really good. Just finished Starcom: Nexus actually.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
Anyone have the Google Play Pass for Android?

Is it worth it for $30 a year?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
e: just saw your post re: already playing starsector

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Mount and Blade Warband
The Shadowrun Returns series (Dragonfall and Hong Kong)
Darkest Dungeon
Battle Brothers

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Looking for a game I can play one handed. Not because I'm a sex pervert, but because I have a toddler that can't sleep unless he has skin to skin contact and god loving forbid I move my arm for one second. Currently I'm doing Slay the Spire and getting to the point where I have to do more math than I prefer. Slower strategic games are preferred because I'm too fired for schmups and poo poo like that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GodspeedSphere posted:

Looking for a game I can play one handed. Not because I'm a sex pervert, but because I have a toddler that can't sleep unless he has skin to skin contact and god loving forbid I move my arm for one second. Currently I'm doing Slay the Spire and getting to the point where I have to do more math than I prefer. Slower strategic games are preferred because I'm too fired for schmups and poo poo like that.

Weird one, but Pokemon Let's Go has a single hand mode. There's probably quite a few older JRPGs you could set up binds for that just takes up half a controller like Earthbound or Dragon Quest.

Civ or other similar games probably aren't too bad as long as you don't mind missing out on keyboard shortcuts.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you're on a computer, then most turn-based games you can probably figure out how to play with one hand, so there's things like Into the Breach, XCOM, Punch Club, Steamworld Heist or Quest. I'd be wary of real-time-with-pause games like CK2, since you need a free hand to hammer pause, but maybe you could do it with FTL.

If you're not on computer, then you could still probably figure out how to poke around a controller, but here's some games that I'm pretty sure work one-handed on all platforms:

Crypt of the Necrodancer for sure. It may be a bit faster-paced than you want to handle late at night, but if you play as the bard character then you get to choose when the beats happen so it basically becomes turn-based.

There's also Solar 2, that you also only need one hand to handle the directional movement. It's a game where you play as a celestial body puttering around the galaxy gathering mass. An asteroid needs to become a planet, a planet can gather moons or cultivate a lil' civilization, but build more mass and you become a star, stars can get planets and become whole solar systems but can turn into black holes. It's neat.

And then there's Kingdom: New Lands/Two Crowns, just a very barebones game where you build up a little community, build defenses against nightly attacks, and eventually attack the monsters and defeat them to move onto the next area, but all done just by wandering left and right on your horse on a 2D plane and dumping money here and there.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

GodspeedSphere posted:

Setting aside specific game recommendations, there are controllers designed for one-handed gaming. You can find info on sites about gaming accessibility, such as Able Gamers' FAQ on gaming with one hand.

Given that the sleeping toddler situation isn't long-term, I don't know if it's worth it for you to drop $100 on a modified controller and re-teach your muscle memory, but if nothing else, "hey, this stuff exists!"

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Shine posted:

Setting aside specific game recommendations, there are controllers designed for one-handed gaming. You can find info on sites about gaming accessibility, such as Able Gamers' FAQ on gaming with one hand.

Given that the sleeping toddler situation isn't long-term, I don't know if it's worth it for you to drop $100 on a modified controller and re-teach your muscle memory, but if nothing else, "hey, this stuff exists!"

If I ever had a one handed client this would be super cool. Let me further clarify, anything that's playable mouse only. Chrono trigger is and has been 110% my poo poo since release but keyboard controls puts my laptop in range of toddler tantrums that have already taken one old laptop down.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

GodspeedSphere posted:

Some good mouse only games:

Into the breach
Football Tactics & Glory
Trials of Fire
Monster Train

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I've been playing all of pillars of eternity 1 and 2 with only the mouse and a toddler in the arms. Just need a 5-buttons mouse so you can assign the middle one to pause and the 4th or 5th to highlight objects.

Pretty sure you can play tons of games with only the mouse with a 5-buttons one.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Walh Hara posted:

Football Tactics & Glory

I want to echo this one and strongly suggest checking it out even if you're not into soccer. I'm not at all a soccer fan but this game scratches the same itch chess and SRPGs like fire emblem do for me, combined with fairly decent management sim elements in between matches.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

I want to echo this one and strongly suggest checking it out even if you're not into soccer. I'm not at all a soccer fan but this game scratches the same itch chess and SRPGs like fire emblem do for me, combined with fairly decent management sim elements in between matches.

Yeah same, it's only the soccer game I've ever played. It's more similar to battle brothers and into the breach than FIFA.

Two things I especially like about it:
1) It has a huge focus on "est" characters (fire emblem term for characters with weak starting stats but great growths). So you get lots of trade-offs between playing your veterans who hardly improve anymore and your youngsters who are terrible but have the potential to become a lot better than your veterans.
2) It's perfectly comfortable to play with just a laptop touchpad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Walh Hara posted:

Yeah same, it's only the soccer game I've ever played. It's more similar to battle brothers and into the breach than FIFA.

Two things I especially like about it:
1) It has a huge focus on "est" characters (fire emblem term for characters with weak starting stats but great growths). So you get lots of trade-offs between playing your veterans who hardly improve anymore and your youngsters who are terrible but have the potential to become a lot better than your veterans.
2) It's perfectly comfortable to play with just a laptop touchpad.
I'm a big fan of Frozen Cortex as a 'turn-based hand egg game', even if there's not much of a campaign, as such. (And the first game, Frozen Synapse, does something very similar with using turn-based systems in what would otherwise be a small-scale RTS game.) Blood Bowl is equally good.

The multiplayer in all three is completely dead, though, which sucks.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Recommend me a youtube video: a LP for dwarf fortress? I don't want to learn how to play, I just find the game fascinating. Something entertaining, but not *too* entertaining, you know? No showmanship.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mescal posted:

Recommend me a youtube video: a LP for dwarf fortress? I don't want to learn how to play, I just find the game fascinating. Something entertaining, but not *too* entertaining, you know? No showmanship.

Wrong thread?

Anyway, you want Kruggsmash: No facecam or screams, interesting engineering projects, drawings of the things that happen and a metric ton of editing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've spent most of my game time in Destiny 2 for a few weeks now (between bouts of Heroes of Hammerwatch, and other stuff), but I think I'm about done with the Bungie-ness of it all

Trying to find something new that scratches that same itch. Among the best I've played for itch-scratching, FF14 and WoW don't appeal anymore; Division 2 sort of does but I've already played the base campaign and the world left me feeling kinda bored and uninterested; and Path of Exile and Warframe are too much effort :v:

The common thread between these is plain old numbers-go-up, I guess, but I look at games like NGU Idle and blanch at the UI. As well, the numbers-go-up nature being so front and center is ironically off-putting.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I'm looking for a dungeoncrawl that isn't turn based or real time with pause.

Megaman legends is the closest I can think of off the top of my head.

PS4, Switch or PC is fine

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Vadun posted:

I'm looking for a dungeoncrawl that isn't turn based or real time with pause.

Megaman legends is the closest I can think of off the top of my head.

PS4, Switch or PC is fine

City of Brass might scratch this itch. Possibly Eldritch.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Legend of Grimrock and the sequel were pretty good for that.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I've spent most of my game time in Destiny 2 for a few weeks now (between bouts of Heroes of Hammerwatch, and other stuff), but I think I'm about done with the Bungie-ness of it all

Trying to find something new that scratches that same itch.

Warframe.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pipski posted:

Warframe.

Already played that out for hundreds of hours way back, and the will hasn't come back yet. As I said before it's one of my usual goto's :v:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ciaphas posted:

Trying to find something new that scratches that same itch. Among the best I've played for itch-scratching, FF14 and WoW don't appeal anymore; Division 2 sort of does but I've already played the base campaign and the world left me feeling kinda bored and uninterested; and Path of Exile and Warframe are too much effort :v:

The common thread between these is plain old numbers-go-up, I guess, but I look at games like NGU Idle and blanch at the UI. As well, the numbers-go-up nature being so front and center is ironically off-putting.

Monster Hunter World has both number go up (you hunt monsters -> to make better gear -> to hunt more monsters -> repeat for about 15 years now) and also has easily accessible (but still optional) co-op to scratch the human interaction itch. It's one of the finest games ever made.

They threw a bit of a wrench in the early number-go-up by adding the optional Guardian and Defender gear, which are basically "easy mode" overpowered fear for people who either want to catch up quickly to their friends, or experience the story with less challenge, but you can ignore them and play the game as originally designed. And by the late game, those overpowered armors will fall off and you'll need to delve into crafting to keep up with the more advanced monsters.

It's a lovely game :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Shine posted:

Monster Hunter World has both number go up (you hunt monsters -> to make better gear -> to hunt more monsters -> repeat for about 15 years now) and also has easily accessible (but still optional) co-op to scratch the human interaction itch. It's one of the finest games ever made.

They threw a bit of a wrench in the early number-go-up by adding the optional Guardian and Defender gear, which are basically "easy mode" overpowered fear for people who either want to catch up quickly to their friends, or experience the story with less challenge, but you can ignore them and play the game as originally designed. And by the late game, those overpowered armors will fall off and you'll need to delve into crafting to keep up with the more advanced monsters.

It's a lovely game :allears:

now that you say that, MHW is one of my usual itch-scratchers, too. I stopped playing last sometime shortly before Rabid Rajang and Barmy Brachydios were released, so I suspect by now I've missed quite a few hunts

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 22, 2020

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

now that you say that, MHW is one of my usual itch-scratchers, too. I stopped playing last sometime shortly before Rabid Rajang and Barmy Brachydios were released, so I suspect by now I've missed quite a few hunts

Have you tried Genshin Impact? It's got fun exploration and the numbers definitely go up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Osmosisch posted:

Have you tried Genshin Impact? It's got fun exploration and the numbers definitely go up.

I liked the first couple hours I played, but my interest fell off a cliff shortly after. Maybe it was the gacha stuff coming in at that point, I'm kinda put off by that stuff nowadays

(e) I realize I'm being a bit difficult but I appreciate all the suggestions so far, btw :shobon:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I liked the first couple hours I played, but my interest fell off a cliff shortly after. Maybe it was the gacha stuff coming in at that point, I'm kinda put off by that stuff nowadays

(e) I realize I'm being a bit difficult but I appreciate all the suggestions so far, btw :shobon:

No worries. For what it's worth the game is entirely completable and plenty fun (imo) without engaging with the gacha at all. Also, the region after the first generic fantasy Europe one is a massive improvement, especially if you're into Chinese themes. Might be worth revisiting.

If you want short power curves, I've been coming back to Gunfire Reborn a lot lately, numbers go up significantly within a run. There's metaprogression though which I know turns some people off.