Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Skwirl posted:

It's been years since I've played an Ubisoft game on my PC but I remember it being slightly annoying the very first time I played Assassin's Creed 2 and then never giving a poo poo about it again over like three Assassin's Creed sequels.

yeah, we're a long ways from the lows of GFWL and most clients/overlays are basically invisible in practice nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

Skylords Reborn, a fan-run resurrection of Battleforge just came out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ1DfYM7eIk

Battleforge was a card-based RTS made by the makers of the original Spellforce games that came out, like, a decade ago before eventually getting discontinued and shut down by EA. Obviously inpired by Magic the Gathering, the game features four different colours (Fire, Ice, Dark, Nature) as well as, later, hybrid factions, each with their own set of units, emplacements and spells. It's got singleplayer and co-op campaigns, PVP and a whole host of player-made scenarios and the current devs plan to support the game with new content and events. I really enjoyed Spellforce back in the day and am looking forward to diving back in! The whole thing's completely free and available at:

https://www.skylords.eu/

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Today's free EGS game is Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mordja posted:

Skylords

Super psyched for this, I just hope their languishing forum isn't a bad omen.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Cant beleive that list was correct

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

12/23 - Tropico 5

24.12 - Inside

December 31 - Jurassic World Evolution"

oh well, it was too good to be true

Tropico 5 is... well... Tropico. It's fun if you haven't played the series to death, which I feel most people into that genre already have. Jurassic World Evolution is a baller theme park style game, though, and the DLC's are all pretty solid. Plus if you have small children they will absolutely stare in wonder at the dinosaurs and get giddy with excitement when the TRex roars.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
For anyone with Prime there is an integration for GOG Galaxy.

You will need to install the Amazon Games app first.
https://www.amazongames.com/en-us/support/prime-gaming/gf25r2a8vvfhxtqw/articles/download-and-install-the-amazon-games-app/gnt5xgk748qmfxxj

Then download the integration.
https://github.com/Rall3n/galaxy-integration-amazon/releases/tag/v0.2.0

Unzip the integration into C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\plugins\installed

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://register.ubisoft.com/happyholidays2020-lastchance/en-GB

Second chance to claim the Ubisoft giveaways so far if you missed any

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

lol, the guy cited as the source of that Epic "leak"

https://twitter.com/apahstle/status/1339868075995377665?s=20

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's a much more believable list going round now that has the remaining games as The Long Dark, Defense Grid, Alien Isolation, Metro 2033, Tropico 5, Inside, Darkest Dungeon, My Time At Portia, Night in the Woods, Stranded Deep, Solitarica, Torchlight 2 and Jurassic World Evolution.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Long Dark is the EGS freebie today

njsykora posted:

There's a much more believable list going round now that has the remaining games as The Long Dark, Defense Grid, Alien Isolation, Metro 2033, Tropico 5, Inside, Darkest Dungeon, My Time At Portia, Night in the Woods, Stranded Deep, Solitarica, Torchlight 2 and Jurassic World Evolution.

This leak is off to a good start then

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I’m really hoping Inside is true. I’ve heard good things and it’s been sitting on my Steam wishlist for years now.

It would be the third (of 61) Epic games I actually bother to install.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

INSIDE is very good :hmmyes:

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m really hoping Inside is true. I’ve heard good things and it’s been sitting on my Steam wishlist for years now.

It would be the third (of 61) Epic games I actually bother to install.

Maybe you already have it, it has been free at least once on EGS

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Baller Time posted:

Maybe you already have it, it has been free at least once on EGS

I don’t. I’d remember and I’ve only been acquiring Epic freebies since GTA5 was given away last March-ish.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Did they ever finish the story mode in TLD? Is it worth playing? I put a few dozen hours into survival mode a few years ago, but it always got too bleak and depressing for me to make much progress.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

Did they ever finish the story mode in TLD? Is it worth playing? I put a few dozen hours into survival mode a few years ago, but it always got too bleak and depressing for me to make much progress.

I bought it last year and it's the only game I've ever refunded, because the store advertised a deep engrossing story but didn't mention that only the first "episode" was finished, with no timeline for it being actually completed. It was basically an early access game that wasn't branded as such. From a bit of digging it looks like they've since doubled that to TWO whole episodes out of five planned with no timeline for when it'll be finished! Value! Aside from that, for the survival mode, walking up or down slight inclines had a thirty percent chance to shatter your ankles and the game was just loving miserable to play, not in the good way. There's also no end or goal beyond surviving as long as possible in survival mode, so if "finishing" a game is something that's important to you, this one might be frustrating.

No idea how it is now, but that's my experience with it. I'm sure it's worth the pricetag of your email address or whatever though. Reviews seem positive in general.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
TLD is actually really good. It is the only survival/crafting game I've ever played that really gives you a feeling of desperate hopelessness. Whether you want that in your games in 2020 is another matter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Hobojim posted:

There's also no end or goal beyond surviving as long as possible in survival mode

Ngl this made me lol irl

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

site posted:

Ngl this made me lol irl

I mean I don't think no end is bad but I wanted to warn people who want something like a "Build a plane and escape eventually" type of survival thing.

Wording is funny though yes

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Hobojim posted:

I bought it last year and it's the only game I've ever refunded, because the store advertised a deep engrossing story but didn't mention that only the first "episode" was finished, with no timeline for it being actually completed. It was basically an early access game that wasn't branded as such. From a bit of digging it looks like they've since doubled that to TWO whole episodes out of five planned with no timeline for when it'll be finished! Value! Aside from that, for the survival mode, walking up or down slight inclines had a thirty percent chance to shatter your ankles and the game was just loving miserable to play, not in the good way. There's also no end or goal beyond surviving as long as possible in survival mode, so if "finishing" a game is something that's important to you, this one might be frustrating.

No idea how it is now, but that's my experience with it. I'm sure it's worth the pricetag of your email address or whatever though. Reviews seem positive in general.

Nah, Episode 3 is out, with additional mechanics, as well as now two new zones in survival mode (one added with Episode 3, and now the other more recently). Looks like the latest update added crampons, which make it less likely to get a sprain. They also added in the 2020 Halloween event, Escape the Darkwalker, as a permanently unlocked game mode.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

TLD looks super cool but some of the comments here have kind of killed my interest, you can get a sprain? gently caress off with that nonsense

DG already have, AI already have, 2033 already have, tropico 5 already have, inside looks eh, darkest dungeon I've played enough to be burnt out on this brand, my time at portia is cool if you cheat engine the time of day to be frozen so you're not rushed to complete tasks (I hate that crap in this genre), night in the woods sounds cool, stranded deep is interesting but tedious, lol solitare, torchlight 2 already have and beat eons ago, and jurassic world evolution I already have but don't play because I don't own all the dlc

:nallears: at least they're free

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I want alien isolation

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Hobojim posted:

walking up or down slight inclines had a thirty percent chance to shatter your ankles

Nice to meet u, mr president

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

TLD looks super cool but some of the comments here have kind of killed my interest, you can get a sprain? gently caress off with that nonsense

DG already have, AI already have, 2033 already have, tropico 5 already have, inside looks eh, darkest dungeon I've played enough to be burnt out on this brand, my time at portia is cool if you cheat engine the time of day to be frozen so you're not rushed to complete tasks (I hate that crap in this genre), night in the woods sounds cool, stranded deep is interesting but tedious, lol solitare, torchlight 2 already have and beat eons ago, and jurassic world evolution I already have but don't play because I don't own all the dlc

:nallears: at least they're free

Inside is really great and not too long, give it a shot.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Solitarica is rad as hell. It's like Slay the Spire but with solitaire (like Faerie Solitaire or Regency Solitaire), and just about as addictive and engaging as Slay the Spire. I did everything there was to do on the free phone version without spending money (to unlock other characters which is where like 3/4 of the game is) and it's absolutely worth your time if you like games.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

treat posted:

Solitarica is rad as hell. It's like Slay the Spire but with solitaire (like Faerie Solitaire or Regency Solitaire), and just about as addictive and engaging as Slay the Spire. I did everything there was to do on the free phone version without spending money (to unlock other characters which is where like 3/4 of the game is) and it's absolutely worth your time if you like games.

Yeah Solitairica is great, actually.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Dealing with the cold and the injuries while exploring the Canadian wilderness is the game. You aren't playing some, "Let's build a huge base to mass produce items" here and being slightly inconvenienced by sprained ankles. You aren't gearing up to fight the big boss in the underworld. The entire scope is literally a wilderness survival.

For their story mode, they're at 3 episodes available out of 5 planned. I did 3 sometime last year, so I imagine 4 is around the corner. They've got several other modes like Survival and whatever the Halloween thing is (I haven't checked it out yet). So far I've gotten 50 hours out of the game that frequently goes on Steam sales for $7.49

Episodes 1 and 2 are pretty basic "alone in the wilderness" mechanics. But Episode 3 is pretty neat in the sense you're in a small community trying to tend to their medical needs while going out and rescuing survivors of a disaster.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 20, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My region is set to India on the Epic Games Store (I'm sure as hell I didn't choose it so must've defaulted to that?) and I can't change it except through customer service.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My region is set to India on the Epic Games Store (I'm sure as hell I didn't choose it so must've defaulted to that?) and I can't change it except through customer service.

It might have gotten hacked at some point, I getting emails from Epic saying there was unauthorized access to my account like two different times when I first got it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Epic accounts seem to be very common targets for credential stuffing, they really want your vbucks

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

repiv posted:

Epic accounts seem to be very common targets for credential stuffing, they really want your vbucks

Bro have you even played fortnite?

I haven't

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I have a freakin massive library of free epic games and most of them ARE epic games and the funniest thing is I don't have enough time in the day to even play half of them and if my teenage self coulf imagine playing these I'd have cummed in my pants

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Rapacity posted:

I have a freakin massive library of free epic games and most of them ARE epic games and the funniest thing is I don't have enough time in the day to even play half of them and if my teenage self coulf imagine playing these I'd have cummed in my pants

lol right? It honestly makes it worse. In my short spare time I just mindlessly install games play them for a few minutes then delete them or forget about them. Back when I was a kid and could afford maybe 4 games a year I savored every single minute of them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah your account got hacked at some point and they changed your region to India. Something similar happened to me back when the only thing on my account was Fortnite and Unreal Engine 4. There was no money in it or payment method available, so not sure what they would have gotten out of it.

Edit: Yeah, in the spring of 2018, I have a bunch of 2 factor codes from epic because people in India were trying to login to my account.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 20, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah your account got hacked at some point and they changed your region to India. Something similar happened to me back when the only thing on my account was Fortnite and Unreal Engine 4. There was no money in it or payment method available, so not sure what they would have gotten out of it.

They probably can't see what games you have before they hack it and they're likely using bots to gain control of a bunch of accounts that they could then sell access to it.

Same thing happened to my PS4, you can login into your account from any playstation and as long as you have an internet connection you can play any digital games you own, even if someone is using the one PS4 you have set as your "main" one. The main one can play digital games offline too. Someone in Russia managed to get access to my account and set there system as the main one. I didn't realize until my internet hiccuped while I was playing a game and it booted me to the main menu. looking through my account history both on Sony and my credit cards there wasn't any suspicious activity, so I think they were just using it to play video games.

I finally booted them, got my system reset as the main one and set-up two factor and for like three days my phone would occasionally explode for an hour or so while they tried to log-in multiple times but needed the code from the text message.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

99% of the time it's credential stuffing, you used the same password on some site with poor security, it got hacked, then someone bought the password list and blindly tried logging into Playstation/Epic/etc with the same credentials. They don't know if your account is worth stealing until they steal it, so they take the shotgun approach and pop as many as they can.

This is why security nerds tell you to use a password manager and unique random password for every site nowadays (or at least enable 2FA on anything important if you can't be bothered)

repiv fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 20, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

repiv posted:

99% of the time it's credential stuffing, you used the same password on some site with poor security, it got popped, then someone bought the password list and tried the same email/password on other services

This is why security nerds tell you to use a password manager and unique random password for every site nowadays (or at least enable 2FA on anything important if you can't be bothered)

Our company decided that instead of switching us to 2FA it was better to make it a 14 character password that changes every 3 months. It's great

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Len posted:

Our company decided that instead of switching us to 2FA it was better to make it a 14 character password that changes every 3 months. It's great

Is your company run by weasels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is your company run by weasels

Chuds so I think that's offensive to weasels