Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well that was fukkin' awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't especially understand the criticism of Luke being the one to show up. The entire season has been building up to Mando having to give Grogu away- whatever Jedi shows up, their only real function is to take the handoff and usher Grogu out of the show (at least for now). If you don't like the show going in that direction at this juncture, that's fine, but if you're okay with that plot point, I don't see why the show is in any way lessened by having the most famous and the most obvious Jedi be the one to answer the call, rather than being someone like Cal or Ezra or fuckin' Kyle Katarn that 85% of the audience has never heard of before.

It's not like Luke is going to be a regular on the show now, and whenever he's not in the room everyone will be asking "where's Luke? "

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 18, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress Luke Skywalker.

They have a whole new batch of characters they can introduce to a new audience, like Bo-Katan, Ahsoka, Thrawn but no... it's back to the goddamn Skywalkers. Again. Like -- let's move away from this poo poo. I dont' give a gently caress that the internet is all, "OMG LUKE!!!"

sorry to be controversial but actually luke skywalker is very cool

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

General Dog posted:

I don't especially understand the criticism of Luke being the one to show up. The entire season has been building up to Mando having to give Grogu away- whatever Jedi shows up, their only real function is to take the handoff and usher Grogu out of the show (at least for now). If you don't like the show going in that direction at this juncture, that's fine, but if you're okay with that plot point, I don't see why the show is in any way lessened by having the most famous and the most obvious Jedi be the one to answer the call, rather than being someone like Cal or Ezra or fuckin' Kyle Katarn that 85% of the audience has never heard of before.

It definitely makes sense that the only (known to the world) active Jedi, who we already know is recruiting and training other Jedi is the one to come and pick up a fledgling Jedi.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It seems like the whole cue got left off the soundtrack.It's not in Long Live the Empire....maybe it's somehow in one of the other tracks...but :wtc: how do you leave that out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

General Dog posted:

People are upset that the final episode of a show that has Mandalorian armour and Dark Troopers and Bo-Katana and the Darksaber and BOBA FETT and seismic charges and krayt dragons and yoda-but-a-baby took a quality dive into Fan Service.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
My personal grievance to it being Luke is I am kind of winded from every Star Wars IP having to compulsively reference the Big Names. I was thoroughly enjoying Mando as a story about a rando in the middle of the Outer Rim stumbling into trouble bigger than he was.

I mean, of course Luke is gonna come pick the kid up, and I didn't hate the cameo but what squashed the moment for me is the way it played out. The whole platoon stops trying to breach the door and turns around - every single one - to wait for this one guy who landed a tiny fighter craft on their ship to show up and beat their asses. I get it's TV so you can't expect the enemies to be tacticool all the time but it felt goofy.

Felt like an analogue of the Slave I dropping a seismic charge to take out those TIEs. Just pushing the cameo and references a little too far when it could have played out in an interesting, new way - like the dogfight from this episode where Fett has his cannons go completely backwards and shoot behind him. New, cool move.

Alchenar posted:

People are upset that the final episode of a show that has Mandalorian armour and Dark Troopers and Bo-Katana and the Darksaber and BOBA FETT and seismic charges and krayt dragons and yoda-but-a-baby took a quality dive into Fan Service.

For me it's like eating a dessert I really like except I keep having to eat it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Alchenar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gvJR8qci3E

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I regret no X-Wing cockpit scene with BaeYo looking around and being forlorn that there aren't any shiny metal balls to steal/play with.

Din vs. Bo-Katan. Without the kid, I could see Din's head getting a bit too big for his helmet. He needs a purpose and he can't really go back to bounty hunting. He also has very set-in-stone notions of what constitutes being Mandalorian that clash with hers.

Yeah that's the one thing about the ending. When Luke and Grogu left I thought for sure Din would hold out the ball for Grogu to take.

Din getting a bounty for returning Gideon(and the clone engineer) alive is gonna be enough to say least buy a new Razor Crest I bet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

On the one hand, that was pretty loving cool and awesome for a season finale reveal.

On the other hand, I'm guessing because of the cost limitations to how much Luke could actually be on-screen and interact, the entire scene / resolution /end of the episode was.... complete and utter loving poo poo? Like what the gently caress happened there? Gideon shoots the hell out of Bo and... no one checks on her? She just limps back up and her and EVERYONE else say nothing else for the rest of the episode aside from not wanting to let in the one that saved them? Cara Dune not recognizing a Rebel General who also happens to be the pilot who blow up the first death star and put an end to the emperor oh and brother of the leader of the rebellion? Nothing there? Luke... doesn't really say anything to anyone? It just felt so... stiff? Din taking off his helmet to say goodbye would have been a good bridge for Bo Katan to go maybe sticking to the old ways is dumb as gently caress but nah.

Good episode but man that was some trash tier directing at the end.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Din getting a bounty for returning Gideon(and the clone engineer) alive is gonna be enough to say least buy a new Razor Crest I bet.

I know everyone wants the YT-2000 to make an appearance, but this one's pretty :discourse:, too: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/YT-1930_transport

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Me when I see an easter egg so I can go bitch about being pandered to

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A planetary ion cannon was used in Empire to disable an ISD to allow transports to escape from Hoth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrQu8UIEj5g

I'm an idiot :v: Was thinking of smaller ships using it.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels like both to me- Din demonstrated he's a hardcore Mando and a reliable ally, the kind of guy Bo is going to need to retake Mandalore. He has exactly one mission here, and he follows it to the end. Wouldn't be surprised if the narrative shifts away from him now- without Grogu, all he has is bounty hunting, and whatever he considers worthy of his time.

I wouldn’t mind the show going to Mandalore and learning about that world and new Mandalorians. I still think Din is going to end up Mandalore the Reluctant, forcing the clans get their poo poo together and act right for the betterment of their society.

Honestly, I’d love it if there was D+ show for all the major cultures that have been mentioned in Star Wars. People love Mandalorians for their cool armor, but it’s learning about their culture and way of life that really makes the compelling. Do the same with a show called The Corellian, where we learn all about the people from Space Detroit.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

On the one hand, that was pretty loving cool and awesome for a season finale reveal.

On the other hand, I'm guessing because of the cost limitations to how much Luke could actually be on-screen and interact, the entire scene / resolution /end of the episode was.... complete and utter loving poo poo? Like what the gently caress happened there? Gideon shoots the hell out of Bo and... no one checks on her? She just limps back up and her and EVERYONE else say nothing else for the rest of the episode aside from not wanting to let in the one that saved them? Cara Dune not recognizing a Rebel General who also happens to be the pilot who blow up the first death star and put an end to the emperor oh and brother of the leader of the rebellion? Nothing there? Luke... doesn't really say anything to anyone? It just felt so... stiff? Din taking off his helmet to say goodbye would have been a good bridge for Bo Katan to go maybe sticking to the old ways is dumb as gently caress but nah.

Now I do agree with this, and I think that might be why Luke's cameo is rubbing people the wrong way- every other character outside of Din and Grogu ceases to exist once Luke walks through the door, and it raises the question of why the last-minute intrigue between Din and Bo-Katan was brought up to begin with if it wasn't going to be resolved.

The leadup where Luke kills 50 Terminators is pretty good though.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 18, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The thing with Katarn (sorry that I keep bringing him up; Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy are two of my favorite Star Wars games) is you can tie him directly Luke. Like, I'm the sure the internet would still lose its collective poo poo (though not as much) if Katarn showed up, slaughtered the Darktroopers, and said something to the effect of "Sup. I'm Kyle Katarn, Jedi Knight. I'm here on behalf of Jedi Master, Luke Skywalker." and then made a dig at the Darktroopers, mentioning he's run into those type of Imp Droids before. Then maybe have Katarn's droid deliver a hologram message from de-aged Luke about how he's rebuilding the Jedi Order for the New Republic, offering to train Grogu or something.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

zoux posted:

The rest of the internet is going absolutely nuts over the Luke reveal so if you're wondering why they went that way instead of bringing back your favorite Legends character Blarsk Findom to rescue them, well that's why.

:five:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the thing. Having Grogu not only call the Jedi Hotline at the temple on Tython but then also having him kidnapped there is what you call a "Walter Koenig's gun". They have to pay it off. So that means a Jedi has to show up at some point. At this point in the world there are 4 extant Jedi - Luke, Leia, Ezra, and Cal. So either they bring in two dudes very few "normie" fans know about (and Ezra is probably going to be part of the Ahsoka series anyway and so probably off limits to this show), invent a new Jedi, or bring back Luke or Leia. Since Carrie Fisher is dead, there was really only the one option. Given the fact that almost everyone is going berserk over Luke, seems like they made the right call.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It should have been Aphra arriving, hacking/stealing all the dark troopers, then loving off leaving our crew wondering what the hell happened.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It should have been Aphra arriving, hacking/stealing all the dark troopers, then loving off leaving our crew wondering what the hell happened.

Lmao. She'd totally find a way to get the Darksaber before leaving though, leaving Din and co. to deal with a handful of Darktroopers. Then Luke shows up.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

teagone posted:

The thing with Katarn (sorry that I keep bringing him up; Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy are two of my favorite Star Wars games) is you can tie him directly Luke. Like, I'm the sure the internet would still lose its collective poo poo (though not as much) if Katarn showed up, slaughtered the Darktroopers, and said something to the effect of "Sup. I'm Kyle Katarn, Jedi Knight. I'm here on behalf of Jedi Master, Luke Skywalker." and then made a dig at the Darktroopers, mentioning he's run into those type of Imp Droids before. Then maybe have Katarn's droid deliver a hologram message from de-aged Luke about how he's rebuilding the Jedi Order for the New Republic, offering to train Grogu or something.

This would have been great.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

zoux posted:

Since Carrie Fisher is dead, there was really only the one option. Given the fact that almost everyone is going berserk over Luke, seems like they made the right call.

Oh, wow, now I wish it was Leia that had showed up to save the day. It has already been established that Luke was training her during this time period. I guess using a CGI de-aged Leia would hav come off as ghoulish.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If the tales of Din Djarin and Grogu were going to continue, then I could see someone other than Luke Skywalker showing up because then we could spend next season developing that character in conjunction with Din and Grogu. But as it stands, this looks like the end of Din and Grogu's story, so it's better to have it concluded with the most well-developed character possible so that no further explanation is necessary.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Din is going to be taking off his helmet every episode now and it's going to loving suck.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sorry but could you and the others mocking people for having criticisms maybe stop being assholes?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 18, 2020

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Luke Skywalker is clearly just there to get the attention of the millions of people who have not watched the years and years of Saturday morning cartoons for background and who may have been waffling about continuing to watch this Star War.

Natroga
Apr 20, 2008
Man, I think my feelings on this episode really depend on if this is going to be the Boba Fett show next season. If no, they can *maybe* fix this complete dogshit episode. If yes, I'm out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It seems obvious to me that the next season or two is going to be Din vs. Bo-Katan in a dialogue about what it means to be Mandalorian. They both have very different ideas on where the lines are for Mandalorians and when it is or isn’t okay to cross them. Battle for the soul of their culture and all that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Din is going to be taking off his helmet every episode now and it's going to loving suck.

Din will only be in 3 or 4 episodes next season, probably. It's Boba Fett's time to shine baby.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yes, at this point I'm 90% convinced that "The Book of Boba Fett" is going to be The Mandalorian season 3. And I'm very, very okay with that.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sums it up pretty well for me - it's not something I had considered but after coming off that episode I think it makes the most sense. It's a delicate balance between being a huge fan and wanting to enjoy a production of a lived-in world that makes sense but also having to accept that this is a show designed to make money, so they do need to cut weird corners sometimes.

I also am constantly wary of big productions like these going too hard on cameos. Let's not forget The Hobbit asked Viggo to reprise his role as Aragorn and he went "what the gently caress are you talking about", but it also included Legolas who did a bunch of Dumb poo poo™ and I guarantee you there were a mass of fans creaming themselves like they are over Luke. Things like that are - maybe - why people get so up in arms over cameos if they feel they aren't executed well.

I've enjoyed how almost no one knows who Fett is after the EU wanking over his reputation so hard that if his Firespray was spotted people would go "oh poo poo it's Fett", but now he's just a very skilled dude in Mando armor.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Phylodox posted:

If the tales of Din Djarin and Grogu were going to continue, then I could see someone other than Luke Skywalker showing up because then we could spend next season developing that character in conjunction with Din and Grogu. But as it stands, this looks like the end of Din and Grogu's story, so it's better to have it concluded with the most well-developed character possible so that no further explanation is necessary.

I get why they did it. The formula of the show was getting to be very obvious and they wanted to change the status quo. The big question is if they went too far. We can't know for sure yet, but it looks like they did.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What happened to Dr. Shades?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

General Dog posted:

What happened to Dr. Shades?

He hung out on Slave I with Boba. Talked clones.

EDIT: That reminds me, if we're getting a season or two dedicated to Boba, I hope we revisit Kamino at some point.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Huh, a bunch ol’ grognards finally get to see Luke Skywalker whip rear end with his lightsaber and that is what makes they finally say “gently caress it, I’m done with Star Wars”.

2020 is staying wild to the bitter end.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

eke out posted:

sorry to be controversial but actually luke skywalker is very cool

Considering that I'm an old and watched Return of the Jedi on day one (having stayed in line for a full day and night with my friends so we were first), RoTJ Luke is my Jedi Hero. He is the only one who could have shown up - he's THE Jedi now. Sure there are some others like Ahsoka, but she knew she wasn't the one to do the job. And Luke showing up and destroying the Dark Troopers is on point for what Jedi are supposed to be- the ultimate warrior monk wizards. And having him come in and out is what needed to be accomplished. I thought it was done perfectly. Din accomplished his quest, he got a tearful farewell and grew enough to know that The Way had to be broken because he was probably never going to see effectively his son ever again. Also there is tension because it turns out that the Mandalorian who was mocking him for being a fundamentalist weirdo a few weeks ago ends up being a more ridged fundamentalist weirdo herself by not just taking the drat Darksabre when Din offered it to her since he doesn't give a gently caress about that dumb bullshit and is a realist when it comes to Mandalor. Now she's going to be hot to beat Din in combat- we don't know if season 3 will involve Din being chased by an rear end in a top hat and her companions who want to kill him for a sword he'd honestly rather not even have or if they are going to insist to follow him as the rightful leader of a dead planet.

Great final episode, pretty much everything I could have hoped for. We are still going to focus on the underworld of Star Wars, which is what I want and this show has been giving us in spades. We got 2 episodes with actual Jedi, and that was enough. Also, I'm stoked that we will get the Boba Fett show (I'm assuming a limited series) even though I've been indifferent about it in the past. It should be fun.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zodack posted:

I've enjoyed how almost no one knows who Fett is after the EU wanking over his reputation so hard that if his Firespray was spotted people would go "oh poo poo it's Fett", but now he's just a very skilled dude in Mando armor.

It's weird because in the current comic book (which are canon) Boba is pretty well known and has worked directly with Vader and others a number of times.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

Huh, a bunch ol’ grognards finally get to see Luke Skywalker whip rear end with his lightsaber and that is what makes they finally say “gently caress it, I’m done with Star Wars”.

2020 is staying wild to the bitter end.

I'm just killing dudes in a hallway, like my father before me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That loving ruled and from the moment the X-wing showed up I was loving loving it. I loved how they kept teasing who it was with that, then the green lightsaber, then the gloved hand.

I thought the de-aging looked good too. Much better than Tarkin and Leia.

It was just so satisfying to see Jedi Master Luke Skywalker in his prime mowing down a bunch of Darktroopers like they were nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
What if Grogu is still at the temple when Kylo does his thing but survived because buddies with Kylo and becomes one of the Knights of Ren. It’s just that lil guy in the chest of one of those knights puppeteering the limbs and helmet with the force.