Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

ultrafilter posted:

ET drat near killed the entire video games industry. Cyberpunk 2077 isn't going to do that.
It's not even going to kill CDPR, they already made their investment money back and thanks to the full localization, the Chinese market is apparently absolutely crazy about the game so it will continue to sell like hotcakes there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Everyone keeps saying they made their investment back, but will all these Playstation refunds mean to that claim?

Like is it 100% only between Sony and The Consumer? CDPR's gotta be directly financially impacted in some way (beyond the tarnishing of the name for future sales and all that jazz) right?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's hilarious, because without the console versions it'd just be a good game with a buggy launch and a weak open world

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Sab669 posted:

Everyone keeps saying they made their investment back, but will all these Playstation refunds mean to that claim?

Like is it 100% only between Sony and The Consumer? CDPR's gotta be directly financially impacted in some way (beyond the tarnishing of the name for future sales and all that jazz) right?
Of course that CDPR will have to pay for it but I personally doubt the ammount of refunds will actually be high enough to have CDPR lose money invested in the development over this. Also the information about them recouping their investment is from a week ago, specifically listed just digital distribution of the title as being responsible for that and the game has been a best seller since.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Even a lot of people who return it on PS4 will end up buying on PC or PS5 down the line, and I'm sure they'll still sell a ton of DLC even if it isn't game of the decade or whatever, so yeah I think CDPR will be fine. They should have delayed the console release, but someone at the top clearly told them they had to push it out the door no matter what even though a bunch of people had to know it wasn't ready.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sab669 posted:

Even if it's totally out of CDPR's pocket it means nothing. This won't affect more than a few percent of their sales even by the most negative projections.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Palpek posted:

Of course that CDPR will have to pay for it but I personally doubt the ammount of refunds will actually be high enough to have CDPR lose money invested in the development over this. Also the information about them recouping their investment is from a week ago, specifically listed just digital distribution of the title as being responsible for that and the game has been a best seller since.

Got'chya, didn't know that was regarding Digital Sales Only. And yea, even if every Playstation sale was refunded (which it won't be) I assume PC + MS sales would probably make up for it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The eternal mystery of how you gently caress up the console versions when the game was originally announced for those consoles and the majority of its release dates were before the next gen was even properly announced.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm just glad PC isn't the version getting shafted as often these days.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Sinteres posted:

Even a lot of people who return it on PS4 will end up buying on PC or PS5 down the line, and I'm sure they'll still sell a ton of DLC even if it isn't game of the decade or whatever, so yeah I think CDPR will be fine.
There has been no official PS5/Xbox Series X release yet. So yeah, they'll most likely play it smart, release the game on those platforms when they fix it and have a ton of free DLC content for it and it will stay a graphics benchmark and a must-have title for quite some time for those consoles when they finally overtake the current gen.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Still don't understand how it's a must-have title. When it's not crashing it seems, like, fine.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Kennel posted:

Wasn't the original post about games that were as much (or more) hyped as CyberPunk, but not necessarily with a terrible launch.

It's hard to compare, but IMO there's plenty of those (GTAs, Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, MGSV (this got some blowback), many console exclusives, although they tend to have a bit more limited audience)

Yeah. Although they often go hand in hand, the discussion was about hype, not failure. I guess a new generation of gamers has at least learned a valuable lesson about not believing marketing bullshit.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

No Wave posted:

Still don't understand how it's a must-have title. When it's not crashing it seems, like, fine.
I didn't really want to go into that area at all, I meant it in the sense that it will stay a benchmark for the console. The game is gorgeous, if the release for the PS5 is technically good, then it will be listed among the must-haves for everybody who wants to see the capabilities of their brand-new console.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No Wave posted:

I honestly think describing any game as a "must have" is just nonsense. I could not get into BOTW at all, but everyone and their mom loved it. I thoroughly enjoyed RDR2 and am enjoying the hell out of this, but I know people who would want nothing to do with either of those.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I mean I guess I've never really played a CDPR game at launch, but Witcher 2 and 3 were both really enjoyable CRPGs with well-crafted stories.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I would not object to calling Witcher 3 must-have (even though lots of people hate it).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I got a Good Computer for the first time in my life at the beginning of the year so I've been playing all the AAA and must-have titles from the past 5 years or so and The Witcher 3 was not that impressive to me. Combat sucks. I also didn't care for RDR2, or Chores: the Game, that much either.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

RDR2 would be better if it had more Chores.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Funky Valentine posted:

The eternal mystery of how you gently caress up the console versions when the game was originally announced for those consoles and the majority of its release dates were before the next gen was even properly announced.

I bet little to nothing in this game is older than like 2 years. It's almost certainly not a game that was in development for a decade; it's likely a game that was lost and mismanaged for 8 years and then thrown together in 2.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

zoux posted:

I got a Good Computer for the first time in my life at the beginning of the year so I've been playing all the AAA and must-have titles from the past 5 years or so and The Witcher 3 was not that impressive to me. Combat sucks. I also didn't care for RDR2, or Chores: the Game, that much either.

Play a Sign heavy build and the combat is mega fun IMO. What is Chores: the Game? I could describe many that way...

e; And yea, CP2077 was teased in like 2013 but if you told me they spent '13 - '17 designing the city and like '17 - '20 on every single other thing else I would believe.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

graventy posted:

I mean I guess I've never really played a CDPR game at launch, but Witcher 2 and 3 were both really enjoyable CRPGs with well-crafted stories.

Witcher 2 was a mess at launch, but I remember The Witcher 3 flowed well from release date onwards.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Play a Sign heavy build and the combat is mega fun IMO. What is Chores: the Game? I could describe many that way...

e; And yea, CP2077 was teased in like 2013 but if you told me they spent '13 - '17 designing the city and like '17 - '20 on every single other thing else I would believe.

Red Dead I mean. It's just too slow and too much dicking off, I get that's the attraction for a lot of people but I didn't care for it.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Hub Cat posted:

TheyHatedHimBecauseHeToldTheTruth.jpg

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh OK I wasn't sure if that's what you meant or if you were referring to something else.

Yea certain things like repeating the animation for putting loot into the community chest and poo poo is no doubt a deal breaker for many. But the beautiful vistas of R*'s Cinematic Camera while my horse takes me from A-to-B were just unparalleled for me.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I really liked the everyday world of RDR2 but the actual missions completely ripped any desire to be in that world away from me. I hunted for days but as soon as you put me in very constricted poorly constructed missions, blech.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean that's just kind of the Rockstar Way. Maybe I don't notice it as much in GTA games because you can get around pretty fast but when you open up the RD map and see like a ten minute horse ride ahead of you, yeesh.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sab669 posted:

It was teased in '13 but they didn't really start working on it until 2016.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

I mean that's just kind of the Rockstar Way. Maybe I don't notice it as much in GTA games because you can get around pretty fast but when you open up the RD map and see like a ten minute horse ride ahead of you, yeesh.

It is, and always has been, I was just far more willing to accept lovely mission structure in 2013 than in 2019.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Hub Cat posted:

If you mean that, it would be a bit cooler if the whole 'do odd jobs of your own choosing and your own way/methods, be it honorable or evil, to gather money for the community chest' was more important and integral to progression, instead of just being something to do until the game forgets all that and just forces you into more and more strict, linear missions that only go one way and ruin the dynamic of money and relationships, then I think that actually is a potentially good idea.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

zoux posted:

Is CP2077 the most hyped game like ever? I was trying to come up with a comparison last night, i.e. "This would be like if XXXX bombed at launch" but I can't think of a more highly anticipated game

I usually have the opposite, hipster reaction; if something is too hyped-up and popular I get less enthusiastic about it. Usually serves me well, I'll get CyberPunk 2077 when it goes on sale

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Kly posted:

mixed signals here
but i also know Cardiovorax is wrong all the time about everything always

what im asking is how important are the mods on the steam workshop.

Realistically the base game is great for a casual city builder/traffic sandbox. The stuff on the workshop is great, but almost all of it is geared towards making it more dedicated to detail and realism. If you find you really enjoy Cities Skylines the workshop material is essential but if you just want to put together a reasonable looking city and toy with it while watching people move around in it then the base game is good for that.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Oof
"Another developer asked whether CD Projekt’s directors felt it was hypocritical to make a game about corporate exploitation while expecting that their employees work overtime. The response was vague and noncommital."

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hub Cat posted:

Oof
"Another developer asked whether CD Projekt’s directors felt it was hypocritical to make a game about corporate exploitation while expecting that their employees work overtime. The response was vague and noncommital."

The balls on the person who asked that :v:

They've every right to be mad though from the sounds of things.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

I usually have the opposite, hipster reaction; if something is too hyped-up and popular I get less enthusiastic about it. Usually serves me well, I'll get CyberPunk 2077 when it goes on sale

That's just how AAA game development works now, it seems. Buy a game on day one and it's going to be a buggy mess. I stopped playing Valhalla after the first patch they put out for it didn't actually do anything, and I'm waiting until it's "fixed" until I go back to it. The last patch they did on the 15th also didn't fix it.

Basically it's foolish to buy a game within like the first six months of release (but I still do it :eng99: )

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
It's kind of funny how AAA was supposed to be a mark of quality that you can trust when that holds true less and less as time moves on.

Honestly these days I trust indies there a lot more than I do AAA games when it comes to launch versions of games.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Every post on this forum is about cyberpunk

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

It's kind of funny how AAA was supposed to be a mark of quality that you can trust when that holds true less and less as time moves on.

Honestly these days I trust indies there a lot more than I do AAA games when it comes to launch versions of games.

I buy most games on sale long after they were released, often years. Played DA:I for the first time this year, for example. When I deviate from that, I go in the extreme opposite direction by getting the Early Access version as soon as possible. I pretty much never buy a game on launch day for some reason.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I played death stranding the day it came out on PC and there were absolutely 0 bugs, crashes, weird technical problems, or issues of any kind

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

Indie games have the opposite problem of taking ages to officially release, or never being properly released at all

I guess it's more honest, but it's still frustrating in a different way. "Why are you complaining about this massive bug that's been in the game for seven years? Game is clearly advertised as being Early Access :d:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Phlegmish posted:

I buy most games on sale long after they were released, often years. Played DA:I for the first time this year, for example. When I deviate from that, I go in the extreme opposite direction by getting the Early Access version as soon as possible. I pretty much never buy a game on launch day for some reason.

Now that I think about I'm kind of the same actually.

Either I'm hype/interested enough in the game to buy it EA or I buy it on a sale or something.