Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Didn't a few weeks ago they release an episode that came to the conclusion that unions were bad because employees are lazy and need a stern boss to keep them in line?

Seems like they won't end The Simpsons until they make an episode that refutes every single one from the good era.

Yes, also all union demands are extravagant creature comforts and coddling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

ikanreed posted:

If they made the dental plan episode today Lisa would only want braces to impress a tooth obsessed boy, Marge would refuse a payment plan that's affordable because she wants a frivolous purchase for herself, cutting the dental plan would be all it takes to keep the plant from going bankrupt, and the resolution would be a celebrity guest doing free orthodontics for the whole town.

Giving them a lot of credit that they would actually wrap up the story and not just the end the episode with the main conflict unresolved.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Communist Walrus posted:

"Wow, CEO of Invisalign manufacturer Align Technology Joe Hogan!"
Joe Hogan: "hi Lisa"

You can hear this

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Milo and POTUS posted:

You can hear this

in Marge's horribly scarred voice

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

You can hear this

I definitely did when I was reading it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

pooch516 posted:

Giving them a lot of credit that they would actually wrap up the story and not just the end the episode with the main conflict unresolved.

Deus ex macelebrity is worse writing than dangling plot threads

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/thesimpsons/status/1338336854769364994?s=21

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bojack did it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Thread title's wrong:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > What was the lowest point of the Simpsons

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

simplefish posted:

Thread title's wrong:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > What was the lowest point of the Simpsons

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846107

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Simpsons joke that aged well

Nelson: “You ever gone on a killing spree?”
Postmaster: “No, no, the day of the gun toting disgruntled postman shooting up the place went out with the Macarena.”
Skinner: “I’m just glad I work in an elementary school."

:yikes:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Imagined posted:

Simpsons joke that aged well

Nelson: “You ever gone on a killing spree?”
Postmaster: “No, no, the day of the gun toting disgruntled postman shooting up the place went out with the Macarena.”
Skinner: “I’m just glad I work in an elementary school."

:yikes:

Seems like that was the exact point of the joke and it (sadly) has aged well tho?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Bojack did it.

I've heard of "taking the L", but this is ridiculous!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

bandaid.friend posted:

I've heard of "taking the L", but this is ridiculous!

what is this, a crossover episode?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Didn't a few weeks ago they release an episode that came to the conclusion that unions were bad because employees are lazy and need a stern boss to keep them in line?

Seems like they won't end The Simpsons until they make an episode that refutes every single one from the good era.

It's ironic given that most of the creative staff on the show is covered by a union. Who ensures that people get paid for their creative labors.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

They shat on lazy teamsters in the fallout boy episode

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

brugroffil posted:

They shat on lazy teamsters in the fallout boy episode

I think you mean that they celebrated them

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

yeah people always bring up stuff from the old episodes when we poo poo on the new ones. "but they did that 20 years ago too!"

and the important thing is, it was funny when they did it 20 years ago and just lazy today. And they weren't making fun of the unions as much as they were making fun of the stereotype

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
It's like when they tried to repeat the Buckingham palace guards joke but made it longer and worse

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

bring back klasky csupo

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Let's play New Simpsons:
Take an Old Simpsons episode and make it New!

This is what the writers do nowadays anyhow.

Homer goes to a steakhouse
He gets into an eating contest with a trucker.

What happens next?
1. He wins the contest because Homer Is Fat Lol, wins the chance to drive the truck (the truck is part of <celebrity singer's> tour). The celebrity is now the A-plot.
2. As above but the truck delivery is a scene-only visual gag (explained in painful detail by Bart), maybe like zoo animals or something. This is abandoned for a Texas-themed episode the second they cross the state border, and never referenced again.
3. Homer loses and spends the A plot gearing up for a rematch (reuse montage from Homer going on disability)
4. Something else?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

1, of course.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bad ep last week. Ellie Kemper guest stars as a Heartmark movie executive sent to Springfield to produce a Christmas movie. Most of it is a parody of those movies, with the big city girl falling in love with a small town local (Skinner). The Simpsons AirBNB Bart's room to her, setting up the other plots where Homer tries to scam the production and Bart tries to ruin the movie to get his room back.

Kemper has, like, half the lines in this episode but no jokes. Chris Parnell's also in it as her fiancee back in the city. She picks Skinner over him and the episode ends with Skinner yelling at her for all the obvious reasons this makes no sense. ("Are you going to move here?")

It's got a garbage montage of Homer stealing white things around town to grind up for fake snow to sell to the production. Maybe one of the worst things to make a montage out of, no idea why they did it.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 20, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's a low bar because Heartmark is a decent parody company name

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

simplefish posted:

4. Something else?

The plot becomes Milhouse's parent get trapped in the truck, and it runs away with no one knowing. (Or caring, 'mirite, writers room? HAHA) So anyway, Lisa has most of the screen time for the episode, because that's what everyone likes best about the show. And in the end. Oh my god. Who was driving the truck? Jimmy Pop of the Bloodhound Gang!! He says maybe 4 words. And then it cuts to the truck driving away while he does that one dance from the one MV on top of the truck. And then Marge is like, "Who is driving the truck if he's up there?" And then it smash cuts to the credits screen.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the trucker is in fact Tony Randall (Tony Randall's voice provided by a deepfake computer algorithm)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
How long til we get an official Disney crossover?

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

PostNouveau posted:

The Simpsons AirBNB Bart's room to her, setting up the other plots where Homer tries to scam the production...

so, whatever garbage time ep it was where there was a cell phone antenna in lisa's room (or the beginning of hellfish where grandpa is in bart's room?) and the fallout boy ep except it's just homer and not mayor quimby and everyone else doing the scamming.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Maximum Homerdrive is an odd choice because it's already borderline BadSimpsons

Mother Simpson:

Homer waves goodbye as his mother drives off in the van. Mr. Burns finally pulls by in the tank, still on her tail. He is still struggling to get "Ride Of The Valkyries" from the loudspeaker but keeps fast forwarding to more stereotypical songs for Smithers to like. This continues through the credits.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I recently learned that Yeardley Smith, Lisa's voice, has a terrible podcast called Small Town Dicks where she talks to some loser retired cops about how hard being a cop is and about how mental illness is bullshit and everyone's a criminal and all that crap. It's like the most overwrought copaganda ever with the point of every story being 'and that's why the cops and ICE and everyone else are heroes and if you support anything short of summary execution for any criminal convicted of a crime you're the problem. Yeardley's only job on the podcast is to breathlessly ask 'were they mentally ill' about every criminal and give other springboards for the cops to explain how actually defense lawyers are a scam and reporters are bad because they sometimes report on cops doing bad things.

So I guess somehow the Simpsons is the least harmful thing at least one of the cast is involved in.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Hrist posted:

The plot becomes Milhouse's parent get trapped in the truck, and it runs away with no one knowing. (Or caring, 'mirite, writers room? HAHA) So anyway, Lisa has most of the screen time for the episode, because that's what everyone likes best about the show. And in the end. Oh my god. Who was driving the truck? Jimmy Pop of the Bloodhound Gang!! He says maybe 4 words. And then it cuts to the truck driving away while he does that one dance from the one MV on top of the truck. And then Marge is like, "Who is driving the truck if he's up there?" And then it smash cuts to the credits screen.

Ooh my magic 8 ball says Signs Point to Yes

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

sexpig by night posted:

I recently learned that Yeardley Smith, Lisa's voice, has a terrible podcast called Small Town Dicks where she talks to some loser retired cops about how hard being a cop is and about how mental illness is bullshit and everyone's a criminal and all that crap. It's like the most overwrought copaganda ever with the point of every story being 'and that's why the cops and ICE and everyone else are heroes and if you support anything short of summary execution for any criminal convicted of a crime you're the problem. Yeardley's only job on the podcast is to breathlessly ask 'were they mentally ill' about every criminal and give other springboards for the cops to explain how actually defense lawyers are a scam and reporters are bad because they sometimes report on cops doing bad things.

So I guess somehow the Simpsons is the least harmful thing at least one of the cast is involved in.

It's been mentioned here already, but she also turned on her podcast's co-creator Zibby Allen in a way ruthless enough to make Yeardley look worse than the content of the podcast already did.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hasturtium posted:

It's been mentioned here already, but she also turned on her podcast's co-creator Zibby Allen in a way ruthless enough to make Yeardley look worse than the content of the podcast already did.

poo poo I missed that conversation, what happened? I do know there's been a lot of talk that Yeardly just comes off as, uh, really stupid in the commentaries.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I can't remember the details but I think the story was, she founded the pod cast with her best friend, then pushed her out because she didn't want to share top billing. She did this by announcing the departure on Twitter as if it was the friend quitting

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bandaid.friend posted:

I can't remember the details but I think the story was, she founded the pod cast with her best friend, then pushed her out because she didn't want to share top billing. She did this by announcing the departure on Twitter as if it was the friend quitting

that's so loving funny I really hope this is accurate.

Literally just that joke "I'll miss her, wherever she may be" "I'm right here" "I can still hear her voice on the wind..."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sexpig by night posted:

lol disgusting

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I miss when she was just yelling "CURTIIIIIIS"

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

PostNouveau posted:

It's got a garbage montage of Homer stealing white things around town to grind up for fake snow to sell to the production. Maybe one of the worst things to make a montage out of, no idea why they did it.

Thats like some weird alternate bart vs the space mutants

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

sexpig by night posted:

that's so loving funny I really hope this is accurate.

Literally just that joke "I'll miss her, wherever she may be" "I'm right here" "I can still hear her voice on the wind..."

Yeah, this was Zibby's response at the time

Looks like there's still a bunch of legal stuff going on in the background.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-simpsons-yeardley-smith-aka-lisa-simpson-accused-of-screwing-her-bff-out-of-small-town-dicks-podcast
And Zibby posted a tweet earlier this month that she still can't talk about it.

Apparently Zibby and Yeardley became close friends over a decade ago by bonding over rough personal times and Yeardley wants to throw all that away because she doesn't want to share creator credit of a successful podcast. Yeardley is such an rear end in a top hat, jesus christ.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Lisa always sucked lets be honest