Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Turin Turambar posted:

Speaking of 'there are no full games, only short experiences!', this looks like a full game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcw_sdGA9XE

On the other hand, it looks like a very traditional game, not precisely something that is fully using VR.
I watched this whole video and don't understand what kind of game this is.

I see a bunch of platforming - am I guiding the guy with my hands somehow, watching over him (a la Carly and the Reaperman), or playing him directly with a controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

playground tough posted:

Do you have to do any "tricks" or config every time you want to use VD in order to get a good connection? I have an AX200 built into my motherboard and haven't been able to get it work consistently

Not really, I have to connect to a 5.0GHZ network to hotspot a 5GHZ network (then disconnect from the 5GHZ network) because of some stupid windows thing, and I've got the antenna out.

I tried it just around the corner and the signal was a lot crappier so it literally works best in, like, Line Of Sight. It's kinda niche and probably even more so with the Link cable actually working well now, but it was $20 and using an M.2 slot I won't put anything else in so it was a kinda fun project.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ShadowHawk posted:

I see a bunch of platforming - am I guiding the guy with my hands somehow, watching over him (a la Carly and the Reaperman), or playing him directly with a controller?

Looks like it's just doing the same style of gameplay as Moss; You control them directly with the thumbstick and buttons (jump, punch, etc), but can also do VR interactions as a floating presence.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

ShadowHawk posted:

It's a platformer (which feels almost exactly like Jak and Daxter exploring Crash Bandicoot stages) with minor VR interactions now and then. Most of why it's in VR is down to the ability to look around, and because it makes stuff look neat.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Epic Games has a $10 US or $15 AUD discount on their store atm, combined with the holiday sale it's p.good.

I'm about to buy Squadrons for $15 AUD which seems a fair price

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Remind me, what was the consensus regarding Squadrons and gamepads? I had to throw away my X52 after the rubber got ruined, but I have an Xbox controller.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MrOnBicycle posted:

Remind me, what was the consensus regarding Squadrons and gamepads? I had to throw away my X52 after the rubber got ruined, but I have an Xbox controller.

It plays well with them, as it's an Xbox/PS4 release and designed to work with those controllers. The auto-aim is generous as hell and it's way easier to line up shots than in the old games.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anyone tried out Jurassic World yet? I know it came out yesterday but I'm a huge JP fan and want to know what people think.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Shine posted:

It plays well with them, as it's an Xbox/PS4 release and designed to work with those controllers. The auto-aim is generous as hell and it's way easier to line up shots than in the old games.

Cool. I might pick it up then!

Edit: ...and I did. :)

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 18, 2020

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

How do epic game store purchases work with Steam VR and an index?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Abongination posted:

Reverb G2 meant to be arriving today in Australia. Considering I've not heard anything at all since I was given this date I assume its gonna be a bit longer. :(

When i last followed up about mine (after the first month-long delay) i was told it will be *delivered* by today

Absolutely not surprised in the least that not only was it not delivered, there has not even been any communication to say it’s on its way.

GJ HP.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Assuming they support it they just start up SteamVR the same way a Steam game would.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Romes128 posted:

Anyone tried out Jurassic World yet? I know it came out yesterday but I'm a huge JP fan and want to know what people think.

It's pretty good. Well, the first half is. The second half will be released as a DLC sometime in next 2021. Took me about three hours to complete.

The "Alien: Isolation with dinosaurs" is spot on, though the dinos are maybe a bit less scary. The gameplay is mostly sneaking through the various facilities, playing simple minigames to complete various tasks and finding a few hidden items.

There's no graphic violence, the screen just fades to black when you die. You don't have guns or anything, so it's just sneaking, hiding under tables and creating distractions to get through some tight spots.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are you alive when they begin to eat you?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

zoux posted:

Are you alive when they begin to eat you?

who cares, it's a six foot turkey

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MY REVERB G2 SHIPPED!!! :toot: Trying to think of what I want to install this weekend on my PC to get ready. I am a simulation heavy user. Right now I have Elite Dangerous, DCS World, and iRacing installed. I finished Star Wars Squadron already, but VR is suppose to be really good for that, so I might want to replay that again or do multiplayer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why do you have to use corrective lenses with VR? I assumed I wouldn't because I'm near sighted but not that bad so I figured it'd be like reading a book or watching a movie on my tablet, you know, right in front of my face. So what's happening with VR that still requires correction? I ended up ordering some prescription lens inserts since I don't like having my glasses jammed back on my face.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The lenses force your eyes to focus out at the same distance away from an object that you would have to in real life. So if you’re nearsighted, close things in VR will be sharp and far things will be blurry

The optics work the same as in real life for the most part. It’s why you don’t feel like you’re staring at a big screen in VR when in reality you’re staring at a little screen that looks big through the lenses

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The lenses force your eyes to focus out at the same distance away from an object that you would have to in real life. So if you’re nearsighted, close things in VR will be sharp and far things will be blurry

The optics work the same as in real life for the most part. It’s why you don’t feel like you’re staring at a big screen in VR when in reality you’re staring at a little screen that looks big through the lenses

Wait, what?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dietrich posted:

Wait, what?

You need your glasses in VR, or contact lenses, whatever. Or you get the slip-on lenses that do the correcting for you so you can VR without worrying about your own glasses or contacts.
Just because the screens themselves are inches from your eyes means dick-all, VR wouldn't be effective even a little bit if your eyes didn't have to work like they do in the real world.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BTW has anyone ever done those lens inserts? Do they work alright?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

zoux posted:

BTW has anyone ever done those lens inserts? Do they work alright?
They are fantastic. VR Optician is amazing.

Note I'm far-sighted, I need to wear glasses when reading my monitor - but not otherwise - and I'd get headaches in VR after not too long without the inserts.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Not quite. With varifocal or other similar tech that will be the case, the focal lengths matching real life, but right now in VR its a set focal distance, and this is the reason there can be discomfort and difficulty with some object super close to you.

Current headsets focus at somewhere around ~2m to infinity, so if you can't see clearly 2m or so away without glasses, you'll need them. This constant set focus is what leads to the "vergence-accomodation conflict" where your eyes do 2 main things for judging distance, they rotate in their sockets and the lens focuses but with a set focal distance your eyes expect to have to do both, but they only do one, while the other remains at a fixed focus and it can throw things off for your brain and make it difficult to see things really close up. VR still looks depth correct mostly because the parallax effect does the heavy lifting.

Varifocal and similar optics solutions solve this by changing the focus of objects in the headset to what they should be in real life, so looking at something 5 inches away, is 5 inches away for your eye, and 20 feet away is 20 feet away, instead of the current 5 inches is ~2m 20 feed is ~2m. When that tech is finally out, you'll need glasses exactly the same as real life because you will be focusing exactly the same as real life.

A lot of people have this misconception that because the VR screen is physically close to your eyes, its optically close as well, but the lenses are there to do a lot of things, one of which is bend the light so the focal point is at whatever desired distance the headset maker wants.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
That makes a ton of sense!

I just got my first telescope and it seems backwards that the larger eyepiece makes things smaller (compared to the smaller eyepiece) but that's because the focal point changes. Now I understand that your VR headset is doing a similar trick to make a small screen take up a larger FOV but it has to be focused properly at your pupils, so if you need lenses in real life you'd need them in VR as well.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Tom Guycot posted:

Not quite. With varifocal or other similar tech that will be the case, the focal lengths matching real life, but right now in VR its a set focal distance, and this is the reason there can be discomfort and difficulty with some object super close to you.

Current headsets focus at somewhere around ~2m to infinity, so if you can't see clearly 2m or so away without glasses, you'll need them. This constant set focus is what leads to the "vergence-accomodation conflict" where your eyes do 2 main things for judging distance, they rotate in their sockets and the lens focuses but with a set focal distance your eyes expect to have to do both, but they only do one, while the other remains at a fixed focus and it can throw things off for your brain and make it difficult to see things really close up. VR still looks depth correct mostly because the parallax effect does the heavy lifting.

Varifocal and similar optics solutions solve this by changing the focus of objects in the headset to what they should be in real life, so looking at something 5 inches away, is 5 inches away for your eye, and 20 feet away is 20 feet away, instead of the current 5 inches is ~2m 20 feed is ~2m. When that tech is finally out, you'll need glasses exactly the same as real life because you will be focusing exactly the same as real life.

A lot of people have this misconception that because the VR screen is physically close to your eyes, its optically close as well, but the lenses are there to do a lot of things, one of which is bend the light so the focal point is at whatever desired distance the headset maker wants.

This is a great post and in part explains why trying to read the fire modes on stamped metal in H3VR is so impossible and akes my eyes hurt

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

They are fantastic. VR Optician is amazing.

Note I'm far-sighted, I need to wear glasses when reading my monitor - but not otherwise - and I'd get headaches in VR after not too long without the inserts.

I would never have known this was a thing. Thank you! I am getting my eyes checked next month because I am overdue for new glasses. So i'll have a new prescription.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly, before you go messing with optical inserts and the like just get a set of Zenni 550021’s and try them

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinges/5500?skuId=550021

The frames are small and crazy thin. I just wear the glasses in my HMD and there aren’t any issues (Oculus CV1)

YMMV depending on your head shape and HMD model of course but the 550021’s are $9 and so cheap it’s worth a try. Even if they don’t work you get a sweet pair of glasses to round out your John Lennon cosplay outfit

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yo dudes, I have a dumb question that has always bugged me but not enough to google it.
So, VR is a lens in front of a flat screen, so why is it, say if I am in a driving sim, when I look at the dashboard the road goes blurry? Like, why and how is there a depth of field, wtf is going on there?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Yo dudes, I have a dumb question that has always bugged me but not enough to google it.
So, VR is a lens in front of a flat screen, so why is it, say if I am in a driving sim, when I look at the dashboard the road goes blurry? Like, why and how is there a depth of field, wtf is going on there?

Everything in the lenses is tradeoffs, if you look down your eyeball physically moves and it changes the way the light traveling out of the lens hits the back of your eye. If you mean you angle your entire head down, then it's probably that the edges of the lenses are less sharp than the center

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Finally beat all the fighters on the highest difficulty on Thrill of the Fight. Took 2 months, and the last guy alone took 2 weeks. Playing it 4 nights a week. Its pretty drat cool, having to get my body stronger in order to beat the game. I really hope they nail online multiplayer with the next game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lemming posted:

Everything in the lenses is tradeoffs, if you look down your eyeball physically moves and it changes the way the light traveling out of the lens hits the back of your eye. If you mean you angle your entire head down, then it's probably that the edges of the lenses are less sharp than the center

No, I mean if I look something near to me in VR like a rear view mirror or something in a car I am driving then the outside world behind it blurs, and I do not understand why.
P.S. I am incredibly dumb

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

peter gabriel posted:

No, I mean if I look something near to me in VR like a rear view mirror or something in a car I am driving then the outside world behind it blurs, and I do not understand why.

Mostly the same reason it works that way in real space, except your distance focus doesn't really shift. The image going to each eye has a positional offset. When you look at the object close to you, your eyes move to centre the object, aligning each image of that object in your vision so that they overlap and look like one solid sharp image. When you do this, the objects in the distance no longer overlap because your eyes aren't positioned to align them. You perceive this as blur rather than a double image because your peripheral vision isn't as sharp and your brain has image processing stuff going on that fixes it for you.

For comparison, if you imagine that you were getting the same image delivered to both eyes, you would be able to look at any object and the surrounding image wouldn't change at all, and it would be like looking at a flat 2D screen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

peter gabriel posted:

Its hard to say, it could just be the game itself is drawing a ray forward and seeing that the nearest object you're likely "looking at" is close and making everything else further away blurry.

That's what flatscreen games do.

But its also possible its something to do with the lenses themselves and your eyeballs. Although when your eyes refocus it shouldn't make things blurry so much as split them in half.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I know it seems really weird, and worried me at first too. But really the SteamVR API support is its own independent thing Valve puts out, so you're free to have a game distributed in any which way and it'll work with SteamVR if built on that API even if you didn't acquire the game through the steam storefront. I've got a little unity game that ties into SteamVR and its not like I'm distributing it through steam (yet). Getting the files in a .zip or getting them from EGS is the same, Steam doesn't care and doesn't make you side load or anything like that.

Valve is far from a perfect company but drat if they're not leagues better than Facebook.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

When I plug my quest 2 into my Mac to transfer files, every time I have to put the headset on and choose "Use for Files" or something - is there a way to disable this prompt? Theres a "Don't Ask Again" button, but I think that is a "Dont use for files, and don't ask again". Or am I just dumb?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Iirc didn't someone once post in this thread about a relative who had an eye condition that meant they could only see a few inches in front of their face but the passthrough camera on a WMR headset (i think?) Let them see google maps in perfect clarity. Strap a passthrough camera on that and you've got bionic eyes! I guess it was down to whatever lens setup that particular headset had and the particular eye condition that it worked out that way. Pretty cool that our dumbass video helmets contain tech that might actually be life changing some day.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

peter gabriel posted:

Faux Mulder posted:

Mostly the same reason it works that way in real space, except your distance focus doesn't really shift. The image going to each eye has a positional offset. When you look at the object close to you, your eyes move to centre the object, aligning each image of that object in your vision so that they overlap and look like one solid sharp image. When you do this, the objects in the distance no longer overlap because your eyes aren't positioned to align them. You perceive this as blur rather than a double image because your peripheral vision isn't as sharp and your brain has image processing stuff going on that fixes it for you.

For comparison, if you imagine that you were getting the same image delivered to both eyes, you would be able to look at any object and the surrounding image wouldn't change at all, and it would be like looking at a flat 2D screen.

Its mostly this. With current headsets its physically impossible for your lenses in the eye themselves to change focus on the images in the scenes so its not going to be blurry in the same way focusing on something close and then something behind it does in real life, but you will get the offset effect. In fact one of the tricks varifocal systems have to do (holographic and other systems don't have this issue) is use eye tracking to do natural blurring based on where you're not looking and its z position, because when they change the focus, it changes it for the whole scene based on where you're looking. Theres some interesting work on this oculus posted a while back: https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-deepfocus-the-ai-rendering-system-powering-half-dome/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkXPLcVN-SY

The other part is your brain is fantastic at just making poo poo up wholesale so it looks like what you're used to, so theres probably an element of your brain just telling itself it looks like it does with correct blurring, the same way you don't notice your blind spots or blood vessels unless you go looking for them.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Does it matter if you buy a cross play game in the quest store vs pc store?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Does it matter if you buy a cross play game in the quest store vs pc store?

I always check the PC store because sometimes cross buy games are discounted there but not on the Quest store. It's annoying.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What do you guys think the consumer-level solution for "walking around in VR with your feet" is going to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

zoux posted:

What do you guys think the consumer-level solution for "walking around in VR with your feet" is going to be?

Better software

Edit: to elaborate I think current hardware is great, people generally aren't going to want to set up external devices or wear extra things to use while you play, and those solutions are janky and bad anyway. I think a big part of the problem with VR right now is that most of the issues are with poor software that isn't imaginative or innovative enough to really take advantage of VR, so that's where there's the most room for stuff to grow

Lemming fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 18, 2020