Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

I mean Scorn is only coming out on next gen hardware, couldn't they just have released it latter so it wasn't a big deal?

Scorn did not cost half a billion USD to make and promote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Taking preorders for the last-gen versions for years through retail partners, a huge distribution deal with WB and investor pressure means that was impossible.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lammasu posted:

I mean Scorn is only coming out on next gen hardware, couldn't they just have released it latter so it wasn't a big deal?

Depends how many people pre-ordered since the game was announced, especially now that nobody can get their hands on a next gen console.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
(UK) If you go via the game pass app you can get the gears 5 game of the year edition with the Hivebusters DLC, included, going via console and store it’s separate buy.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

How does death stranding have cyberpunk stuff if xbox has the marketing rights?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Lammasu posted:

Why did they release Cyberpunk on last gen consoles? I mean would people freak out if told the games just weren't up to snuff on them? I think people would understand.

because they were the target platforms lol the game was meant to come out before the ps5 and series x released, it was in dev way before anyone knew anything about them, and there isnt even anything in the game that precludes it working normally on the older consoles anyway its just not finished and rushed. theres like no low quality assets at all, all low on pc looks like very high and theres next to no difference on stuff like character model quality. thats why the ps4/xbone versions just go down to 720p, use the insane LOD settings that make the placeholder models pop up right next to you and let it tank down to 15fps.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

How does death stranding have cyberpunk stuff if xbox has the marketing rights?
So far it only has them on PC, just like all the other non-Sony tie-ins.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Bradzilla is going to be livid.

I've got Cyberpunk on Series X, haven't had any crashes at all so far and the Quick Resume works flawlessly. There are a shitload of silly bugs tho, and the overall game play is missing many things that were standard in games made 10 years ago. Still having fun with it - maybe it will get boring soon, we'll see.

The Playstation performance for cyberpunk is bad, even for the PS5 version. It's ranked by the DF guys as below the Series S and about on par with the Stadia, so no wonder it's been pulled.

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1338598144758714370

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Lammasu posted:

Why did they release Cyberpunk on last gen consoles? I mean would people freak out if told the games just weren't up to snuff on them? I think people would understand.

ah yes, gamers, a group well known for being understanding

Crafty posted:

lmao what? Cyberpunk looked like dogshit, and it turned out to be dogshit

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 18, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lammasu posted:

They had a 1x marketing deal

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Crafty posted:

I've got Cyberpunk on Series X, haven't had any crashes at all so far and the Quick Resume works flawlessly. There are a shitload of silly bugs tho, and the overall game play is missing many things that were standard in games made 10 years ago. Still having fun with it - maybe it will get boring soon, we'll see.

The Playstation performance for cyberpunk is bad, even for the PS5 version. It's ranked by the DF guys as below the Series S and about on par with the Stadia, so no wonder it's been pulled.

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1338598144758714370
The performance on PS5 isn't bad. Not being the best doesn't mean it's bad.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Control Ultimate Edition next gen update coming February 2nd on digital. 30fps ray tracing and 60fps performance modes.

On sale right now for $20.

https://twitter.com/ControlRemedy/status/1339933440607547393

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The regular edition of Control is also available on Game Pass, but it won't get you the next-gen update. The update will have a performance mode that is 60fps, and a graphics mode that is 30fps but raytracing is enabled. This is actually a little bit disappointing because its not hard at all to get 60fps with raytracing turned on with the PC version.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, and given the choice Im never picking the 30fps one

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

I said come in! posted:

The regular edition of Control is also available on Game Pass, but it won't get you the next-gen update. The update will have a performance mode that is 60fps, and a graphics mode that is 30fps but raytracing is enabled. This is actually a little bit disappointing because its not hard at all to get 60fps with raytracing turned on with the PC version.

60fps without DLSS?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
It would be nice if they did something like Spider-Man on the PS5 and added a lower res and otherwise tweaked ray tracing option at 60.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

60fps without DLSS?

Probably not unless you have a 3080, but there's also no reason to not use DLSS, there is no noticeable graphic fidelity hit with it in Control.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Get your Cyberpunk refund if you're not happy
https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/status/1339983446865801224

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
drat, I guess CDPR was hosed from the beginning.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

I said come in! posted:

Probably not unless you have a 3080, but there's also no reason to not use DLSS, there is no noticeable graphic fidelity hit with it in Control.

Well that's the problem for now as AMD hasn't caught up with that tech yet so until then we're looking at pretty bad RT performance on both consoles.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

Well that's the problem for now as AMD hasn't caught up with that tech yet so until then we're looking at pretty bad RT performance on both consoles.

Console games have been using something very similar to DLSS for quite awhile now. Although it could be that it's just simply not as good for performance, you're probably right. Nvidia really does consistently blow AMD out of the water in this area, so I was disappointed that the new consoles don't use Nvidia.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
AMD will hopefully have a DLSS equivalent soon. It’s absence will really make ray tracing hard to implement in the consoles.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
None of the current reconstruction techniques on consoles come close to dlss it's a whole different ball game.

Microsoft have said they are working with AMD in a joint effort to implement something similar on the Series silicon. AMD announced a (presumably} separate effort to implement something across their pc cards, PS5 and Series consoles.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am sure with Microsofts help, they can pull it off, which would really give the Series X a huge leg up over PlayStation.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
DLSS is actual magic. I'll never care about full 4K ever again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

American McGay posted:

DLSS is actual magic. I'll never care about full 4K ever again.

Exactly, its implementation is so amazing in Control, and Death Stranding on PC. CP77 of course hosed it up royally, but that is the exception otherwise.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Metro Exodus supposedly has a not-great DLSS implementation and I still thought it looked amazing on a 4K display.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Shirkelton posted:

Microsoft's biggest marketing rights deals they've bought into recently were Anthem, Battlefield V, Fallout 76 and Cyberpunk 2077. Jesus.

You could say they went 343

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I said come in! posted:

This just seems so... weird, to me. Why restrict graphical updates to a completely different version of the game that you have to buy separately? I mean, other than the cynical answer of Remedy trying to squeeze money out of people by making them buy it again.

Is there a precedent for this kind of thing?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its the money thing mate

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

404notfound posted:

This just seems so... weird, to me. Why restrict graphical updates to a completely different version of the game that you have to buy separately? I mean, other than the cynical answer of Remedy trying to squeeze money out of people by making them buy it again.

It's not Remedy (the devs) putting the squeeze, it's 505 (the publisher). But that's exactly what it is. They even said "oh man, we'd love to give people who bought all the DLC the ultimate edition for free but there's just no way to do that on consoles" and then accidentally did that on PlayStation for like a day until they fixed it.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

404notfound posted:

The Ultimate edition is the game+dlc sku, so they tied the upgrade to that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

and really having to re-buy things for a new console generation has kind of been the standard if they've been at all updated. hell half the nintendo games on sale for the switch are wii u ports with minimal graphic improvements if any. something like ff13 where they updated the BC version for 4k is kind of an outlier though its pretty cool and microsoft has been generally proactive about things like that

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Barudak posted:

Microsofts marketing partnerships I remember mostly being extremely messy buggy games. Its bias

Titanfall was smart as hell and the game is one of the best of the generation imo.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Glad I played the normal version on gamepass for a bit so I know I don't care about the game or the update.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lammasu posted:

drat, I guess CDPR was hosed from the beginning.

Its the same story with every upstart dev. They think that pulling off a huge game despite a terrible org means they can pull off an impossibly huge game with that same rotten org and they implode in bioware fashion

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The idea that an independent dev who only did the witcher was gonna pull off the next evolutionary step in FPS rpg was outlandish and it's silly how many people were all in on thinking they would pull it off

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Otoh, having that mindset the whole time has me actually really impressed at how close they came to fully pulling it off and very excited that it might get a Morrowind/No Mans Sky lifecycle ahead.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They have no chance of launching another product for years they have to turn it around.

Im not doing a second playthrough until it says complete edition on the box tho cause i am very over it after finishing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Otoh, having that mindset the whole time has me actually really impressed at how close they came to fully pulling it off and very excited that it might get a Morrowind/No Mans Sky lifecycle ahead.

They never came close at all. Discounting bugs, there's a laundry list of missing features and problems baked in the core gameplay. Maybe their in house engine wasn't up to the task? They need a FF14 revamp.