Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Doesn’t help that global travel has encountered some difficulties this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah on one hand, not getting the Russia special is hardly even in the top 100 worst things about 2020.

On the other hand, gently caress I want to watch them doing their thing in Russia this Christmas.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

SpannerX posted:

Probably the last one they do, to be honest. They aren't getting any younger.

They've filmed another already and are in the middle of filming a new one right now I think.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

hopterque posted:

They've filmed another already and are in the middle of filming a new one right now I think.

Oh, I didn't know that, I haven't really been keeping up on them, as of late, for obvious reasons (C19, not them). Good to know!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I believe these are being filmed in the UK for obvious reasons but it's better than nothing!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Chris Knight posted:

James' "Oh Cook" cooking show is on Prime and it's and good as you'd expect.

I made the Thai chicken soup from the first episode and it's good as gently caress, in addition to the show being quite entertaining.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a new Top Gear USA coming on MotorTrend

https://www.motortrend.com/news/top-gear-america-premiere-date/

I don't care for Jethro but Dax Shepard is a legit car guy with a crazy powerful suicide door lincoln.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Why do they keep trying?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GutBomb posted:

Why do they keep trying?

Isn't the answer always money?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The annoying thing is the last one was just fine. They hit their groove and it was super enjoyable.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
They actually say this, "This isn't some rip-off of that other motoring show from across the pond, either—this is die-hard car enthusiasts who live and breathe everything cars."

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mister Kingdom posted:

They actually say this, "This isn't some rip-off of that other motoring show from across the pond, either—this is die-hard car enthusiasts who live and breathe everything cars."

Does that mean they're just not copying the format?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

pik_d posted:

Does that mean they're just not copying the format?

Previous attempts did a direct copy (news segments, The Stig, star in a car, etc) and then just did challenges.

I have no idea what this is going to be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Then.... why call it Top Gear?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Residency Evil posted:

Isn't the answer always money?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PT6A posted:

I made the Thai chicken soup from the first episode and it's good as gently caress, in addition to the show being quite entertaining.

Man can cook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpt_oIqLZX4

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

opengl128 posted:

The annoying thing is the last one was just fine. They hit their groove and it was super enjoyable.

Yeah, when that first US Top Gear came out I thought it was dreck but somehow in reruns it seems better than I remembered.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Rutledge wood was cool and by the end they had some serious rapport going on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Tanner, Adam, and Rutledge were a good team and they were getting to the point where they were nearly as good as Jeremy, Richard, and James. After they got canceled, I gave up on watching any American Top Gear. They can't expect the team dynamic to exist immediately at the beginning, they need a few seasons to do that. It seems like every show gets canceled just as the team starts coming together. There's no point in getting into a show when I know it will be cancelled just as it starts getting good.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Tanner was and is a bit of a lovely guy.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Then.... why call it Top Gear?

Because calling it Top Gear will sell more Motor Trend subscriptions on their app. That is all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mustache Ride posted:

Plus I'm sorry but listening to him reading the lifeless cue-card narration in the adventure segments: "At the rate we were going, we'd never get there :geno:"

Top Gear with the three idiots was only ever tangentially about the cars for me, it was the sharpness of the writing and the repartee, and I'll 1000% rather watch James' cooking show or Clarkson saying something like "At the rate we were going, by the time we arrived our welcoming party would have been driven underground by the Morlocks"

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Well yeah Tanner was clearly the weakest link, but I liked how they'd make fun of him for it.

He was there solely because he was a good driver.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It was also funny because he clearly played the stig.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Mustache Ride posted:

Really? I’ve always had the exact opposite impression when I’ve interacted with him, particularly compared to his GRC teammate Scott Speed.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I thought Tanner just out there driving stuff was one of the best parts of the show.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Agreed loved seeing Tanner cane all the cool cars they got. There was an amazing shot of him doing a slow drift at very high speeds in I think it was a Shelby Mustang of some flavor.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Holy poo poo the tracked RS. yes please

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Okay that was really enjoyable. I was sad to see the RS die but it was hilarious how useless those tracks actually were.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Seems like they would have been perfect on packed snow, but that’s about it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

bull3964 posted:

Seems like they would have been perfect on packed snow, but that’s about it.

They were ok on the soft sand and puddles weren't they? Or did they break there too?

I lost track

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As long as it was just sand, it was ok. But the sand hid rocks which broke poo poo and one of the off track failures happened in the rusted sand when it went off camber and the track slid off.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

pik_d posted:

I lost track

:golfclap:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I read up a little on that pirate treasure and sure enough, it's supposedly legit and still out there, that cross included. That's nuts.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CornHolio posted:

I read up a little on that pirate treasure and sure enough, it's supposedly legit and still out there, that cross included. That's nuts.

And you're telling me they didn't find it by exploding some random beach???

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

pik_d posted:

And you're telling me they didn't find it by exploding some random beach???

Clearly ambitious but rubbish

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I was amazed how well the Caterham did. Also genuine laughs at how miserable May looked every time he good flooded with mud water.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That was the perfect anti-marketing for whatever company made those treads. Any time someone gets marketed those treads, someone can just say "Yeah, but Richard Hammond put them on a car and there was only one specific instance in which they worked without breaking. In every other environment, they failed." That Caterham did well, but I'm really surprised that Bentley made it as far as it did. Jeremy took a car way way way out of its design spec and it handled it really well. Richard took a product into exactly the terrain a customer would expect it to do well in and it shat the bed. That focus might have done a lot better if he had gone the route Jeremy did and jack it up a bit and put big tires on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It really looks like they had on the EZ HD ones here.

https://www.mattracks.co/tracks/ez/

https://www.mattracks.co/about/faq/

In the FAQ they emphasize reducing ground pressure which makes sense. That also means that climbing over ruts really isn't something they are suited for since that would decrease their contact patch below what they were designed to do.

Really, if the thing can't maintain a near 100% contact patch, it's probably not a suitable surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, looks like it is designed specifically for driving around on snow and in mudpits. Not general purpose offroad.