Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The HP Spectre x360 ultralight I'll be using for a bit has Thunderbolt 3 ports. Are there any good eGPUs to stick a 3080 into that y'all would recommend?

Is it true that eGPUs do better with external displays rather than using up bandwidth rendering to the laptop's internal display?

E: I'm really enjoying exploring Night City, what can I say? Have set up GeforceNow but an eGPU should be better, right?

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Lockback posted:

Sorry to make this thread more about discord-hunting, but is there a trick to the amazon drops? Do you keep hitting "add to cart" or just keep refreshing the "There are no items in your cart" page or are you mostly just screwed?

I clicked on buy now instead of add to cart, that seemed to work better. Adding to cart seems screwed up on multiple sites. People getting PS5s from walmart say that if you initiate the purchase from the wish list it works better than add to cart from the product page.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

bus hustler posted:

If you want a 3080 specifically they are not going to get any cheaper, I would buy one ASAP if cash flow is not an issue. If not you may be OK to see what rolls out after the Jan 12 event, if there's a 3070ti or 3080ti etc

For real - I'm at the point where I'm also seriously considering spending a day to go hit up a Micro Center and just getting this poo poo over with

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

As a Canadian with no access to brick and mortar stores, I feel like I will never get one. I've been on Discords for close to 2 months now and I don't think we had more than 3 alerts for 3080.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Hemish posted:

As a Canadian with no access to brick and mortar stores, I feel like I will never get one. I've been on Discords for close to 2 months now and I don't think we had more than 3 alerts for 3080.

Yeah it sucks. Another Canadian goon earlier suggested this Twitch channel, I'm leaving it on in the background.

https://www.twitch.tv/war10ck3d

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Hemish posted:

Is newegg in the US an option? They have 3080 bundles every day, and the PSU ones seem like a good deal. They sell out lightning fast but my friend got one.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
There is no way a company is selling an incredibly high demand item that sells out in seconds even above MSRP with any quality item at a price that makes it a "good deal." The PS5 bundles with lovely 3rd party controller accessories and chargers? Not a good deal either.

Its at best a good PSU with great margins for them, possibly overstock they cant move at a "square" price, or just lovely low end components. That said you CAN probably use/sell/whatever the extra part and there is no other way to buy.

I got lucky when I bought something on Newegg the combo item was OOS so it let me just order the 3070.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 18, 2020

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

bus hustler posted:

There is no way a company is selling an incredibly high demand item that sells out in seconds even above MSRP with any quality item at a price that makes it a "good deal." The PS5 bundles with lovely 3rd party controller accessories and chargers? Not a good deal either.

Its at best a good PSU with great margins for them, possibly overstock they cant move at a "square" price, or just lovely low end components. That said you CAN probably use/sell/whatever the extra part and there is no other way to buy.

I got lucky when I bought something on Newegg the combo item was OOS so it let me just order the 3070.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4190357

if you need a good PSU (and a lot of people do because with a 3080 its recommended to use 750W or higher) $870 for both seems like a good deal

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Booyah- posted:

if you need a good PSU (and a lot of people do because with a 3080 its recommended to use 750W or higher) $870 for both seems like a good deal

that is in fact one of the worst PSUs money can buy

it is more likely to break that expensive graphics card than power it.

edit: To me clear I did not need to look this up to know my previous post was true. That's capitalism, nobody is going to bundle a good PSU at a discount when they can't keep the item on the shelves.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 18, 2020

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Booyah- posted:

It's a power supply with 2 years warranty and Gigabyte PSUs have a reputation of failing/exploding/brusting into flames. The industry standard for PSU warranty is 10 years. It's 100% Newegg's way of getting rid of excess stock along with a big ticket item. If they bundled a Corsair, EVGA or Fractal Design PSU, then sure,.

If you want to play Chicken with your pc and the new power hungry CPUS, then use the gigabyte psu.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Just a heads up if you look at part of the screenshot I posted you cannot go on brand alone anymore. Corsair and EVGA both have 100% outsourced shitbox models now :(

I say this a lot now but it's probably one of the least consumer friendly times to be in the PC building game.

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

bus hustler posted:

Just a heads up if you look at part of the screenshot I posted you cannot go on brand alone anymore. Corsair and EVGA both have 100% outsourced shitbox models now :(

Do you have a link where that screenshot was pulled from? Now I'm worried about my PSU!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Butter Hole posted:

Do you have a link where that screenshot was pulled from? Now I'm worried about my PSU!

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Nm I saw the list.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

bus hustler posted:

If you want a 3080 specifically they are not going to get any cheaper, I would buy one ASAP if cash flow is not an issue. If not you may be OK to see what rolls out after the Jan 12 event, if there's a 3070ti or 3080ti etc

On paper, releasing the 3080 Ti will have a depressing effect on 3080 prices. If you can get a 3080 Ti FE for $999, why would you pay $900 for the ASUS STRIX 3080 EXTREME OMG GAMING FTW Edition? Those customers are performance-oriented and will be sensitive to being lured into waiting for the 3080 Ti, and the pressure will be strongest on the stupid aftermarket SKUs that charge $150 more for 2% more performance.

In practice though everything is getting scalped regardless right now. It will really depend on how much the stock situation eases between now and february.

I really hope that things are not still selling for 50% over MSRP 6 months after launch, that is getting pretty bad. But with mining picking up that will just make everything even worse.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 18, 2020

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I would be surprised if the Jan 12 event is more than just laptops

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Paul MaudDib posted:

On paper, releasing the 3080 Ti will have a depressing effect on 3080 prices. If you can get a 3080 Ti FE for $999, why would you pay $900 for the ASUS STRIX 3080 EXTREME OMG GAMING FTW Edition? Those customers are performance-oriented and will be sensitive to being lured into waiting for the 3080 Ti.

In practice though everything is getting scalped regardless right now. It will really depend on how much the stock situation eases between now and february.

The only thing it might do is make Newegg stop their bundle poo poo, and a few retailers who are jacking up their retail price. But since the MSRP is a hard floor you arent going to see any realistic drops in 3080 price - except probably those "used for 30 days" cards will start selling slightly below MSRP instead of slightly above.

Just speculating on the market though I obviously have zero insider info and as usual am just shitposting in the office

edit: I wonder how much money I can make mining on a 90W mobile sku

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

Hmm, apparently I'm "Tier C". It's an EVGA 80+gold which I thought meant it was fine. I'm glad I have one more thing to worry about!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

80+ ratings are only concerned with energy efficiency, they don't care about reliability, stability, etc

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

repiv posted:

80+ ratings are only concerned with energy efficiency, they don't care about reliability, stability, etc

that makes sense. I figured a combination of a trusted brand and the rating was all the necessary information when purchasing. Maybe I've got one more part to upgrade. Don't want to fry my 3090...

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Things are a lot better than they used to be wrt PSU quality - I wouldn't lose sleep over what you have. Very few brands actually make their own stuff and some will outsource different lines to different odms so it can be hard to tell what you're buying without reading a teardown review for your specific model.

Basically the only psus I'd buy on brand name alone are seasonic because they make their own poo poo and have a long history of everything they make being excellent.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

On paper, releasing the 3080 Ti will have a depressing effect on 3080 prices. If you can get a 3080 Ti FE for $999, why would you pay $900 for the ASUS STRIX 3080 EXTREME OMG GAMING FTW Edition? Those customers are performance-oriented and will be sensitive to being lured into waiting for the 3080 Ti, and the pressure will be strongest on the stupid aftermarket SKUs that charge $150 more for 2% more performance.

I mean the same is already true with the 3070 and 3080's, though: why would you get a $600 3070 when you could get a $700 3080 FE?

The answer is because you can't actually buy a $700 3080 FE, and or that $100 isn't in your budget. Same will happen if a 3080 Ti drops at $1000--there'll still be people buying the $900 silly 3080's because those are the ones with the RGB / cooler / whatever they want, or they can't buy a 3080 Ti for one reason or another.

What I'm saying is don't expect price drops. There have always been real questionable high-end offerings in a given tier that don't make a whole lot of objective performance sense vs a low-priced offering from the tier above it, and there's little reason to expect that to change for this generation.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

A $1000 Ti non-FE won't be available for below $1100-1150 I suspect, putting further distance to the 3080. It'll be more interesting to see how NVidia put distance between a 3080 Ti and the 3090.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Glad Seasonic still hasn't steered me wrong with a Tier A gold selection

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think a Ti is unlikely because NVidia doesn't really NEED to launch it. They are servicing every segment right now pretty well (at least on the high end). Save the Ti for a 2021 refresh cycle when stepping on an older card isn't a big deal.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The reason to launch it is that they can't make enough GPUs, but they can sell some of the GPUs they're already making for $200 more.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Neat link, glad i got the gray CX750 lol

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lockback posted:

I think a Ti is unlikely because NVidia doesn't really NEED to launch it. They are servicing every segment right now pretty well (at least on the high end). Save the Ti for a 2021 refresh cycle when stepping on an older card isn't a big deal.

there is clearly some reshuffling going on in the lineup since NVIDIA is introducing a 320-bit GA103 in mid-january (3070 Ti 10GB).

https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1329618479633162240

The way I'm holistically interpreting this is that yields are good and NVIDIA is currently throwing away too much working silicon with the way the lineup is currently structured. So they are going to start using GA102 cutdowns as 3080 Ti and phase out (or severely reduce availability of) the GA102-based 3080. The 3080 will now be based on full-die GA103 and the cutdowns become 3070 Ti (and possibly 3070 KO but if they are confident enough to reshuffle the lineup for worse yields/better silicon utilization then they probably don't have that many 3070-tier GA103s).

In this context they actually do need the 3080 Ti because that's where the GA102 cutdowns are going to go once they launch GA103.

It is the same thing that Intel used to do with its 14nm fab crunch - they didn't sell die-harvested chips until Comet Lake, every single 6C was actually a 6C die, because yields are good enough that they didn't have enough chips with 2 dead dies, and they would get more chips per wafer doing a batch of 8C and then a batch of 6C than having to sell working 8Cs as 6Cs. Here, NVIDIA will get more chips doing a batch of GA102 for 3080 Ti and then a batch of GA103 for 3080 than taking a wafer of GA102s and throwing 25% of it away by cutting down functional cores.

Right now, with fab capacity being the bottleneck everyone is stuck on, it makes sense to introduce an in-between SKU like GA103 because if your yields are good you are throwing away less silicon that is working fine. Normally it absolutely would not.

(although I guess the other way they could do it is 3070 Ti is the full chip and 3070 is a cutdown, and they can produce 3070s out of either full GA104 or cutdown GA103)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 18, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
For what it’s worth regarding PSUs and 3080 cards, I just got done working with EVGA customer service on swapping out my basically brand new EVGA Supernova GA 850w Gold PSU because they’re aware of an instability issue while using those power supplies in conjunction with a 3080/3090 and some of the more recent, thirstier CPUs like the 10700k’s. The issue is that the PC will often shut down or reboot because the combination of hardware will often trip the PSUs’s OCP; they’re well aware of the problem from the sounds of things (based on the two EVGA reps I spoke with) and are sending me a different model that I can swap out before I return my GA model. Currently not sure what product they’re sending—I can update when I know—but from a little research it looks like a number of people are getting some sort of 1000w G+ unit.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I'm not sure if there's a better to place to ask but I'm having an issue with the fans on my EVGA 2080 (XC). I've been playing Cyberpunk and I think it might be the first game to make my GPU hit 100%, but in any case what's happening is my GPU fans will be sitting at like 2500RPM then kick up to almost 4000 for a few seconds, then back to 2500 for thirty seconds or so, back up for a sec, etc. Nearly constantly as I'm playing. I assume there's some kind of fan setting to set a buffer to not have them spin down unless the GPU has been cool for enough time but I've never messed with fan settings before. Where do I start with this?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
tbh EVGA's PSUs have been trash since they abandoned the superflower platform, G2/P2/T2 and G3 were the ones they built their name on and the GA/G1+/etc have all been them cashing in on it.

the OCP thing seems to have gotten worse and worse as GPUs have gotten more and more aggressive with the power management. The chips will really aggressively clock down when possible and when they spin back up it just hammers the power, which looks exactly like a surge to more aggressive OCP systems. At first it was just Vega, because Vega was an incredibly power hungry monster with a first-gen power-management implementation, now it is affecting NVIDIA too (the "patch" to the boost issues at launch was to make it "sticker" and less willing to boost up and down such that it can't instantly overdraw the caps when it surges).

And unfortunately the power management thing is practically a necessity with 7nm (which is why AMD was trialing it with Vega) given how lovely the voltage and thermal situation has become there. The chips run in super tight voltage envelopes, there is very little room between operating voltage and instability, to the extent that it is really not possible to design "conventional" designs that are just stable at normal operating voltages, because microthermals and micro-voltage droop can knock you out of the stability range as other nearby units surge and then heat up and so on.

That is also the reason that clock stretching suddenly became such a big thing on Zen2 despite it having been in the design since Steamroller. 7nm is just that touchy.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 18, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Humerus posted:

I'm not sure if there's a better to place to ask but I'm having an issue with the fans on my EVGA 2080 (XC). I've been playing Cyberpunk and I think it might be the first game to make my GPU hit 100%, but in any case what's happening is my GPU fans will be sitting at like 2500RPM then kick up to almost 4000 for a few seconds, then back to 2500 for thirty seconds or so, back up for a sec, etc. Nearly constantly as I'm playing. I assume there's some kind of fan setting to set a buffer to not have them spin down unless the GPU has been cool for enough time but I've never messed with fan settings before. Where do I start with this?

A more educated person will probably give you a better answer than I can, but you'll probably want to be looking for a "hysteresis" setting when you get to your fan control panel. If you put a value of like 5C in there, that should hopefully help reduce the high/low/high/low nonsense.

Paul MaudDib posted:

tbh EVGA's PSUs have been trash since they abandoned the superflower platform, G2/P2/T2 and G3 were the ones they built their name on and the GA/G1+/etc have all been them cashing in on it.

the OCP thing seems to have gotten worse and worse as GPUs have gotten more and more aggressive with the power management. The chips will really aggressively clock down when possible and when they spin back up it just hammers the power, which looks exactly like a surge to more aggressive OCP systems. At first it was just Vega, because Vega was an incredibly power hungry monster with a first-gen power-management implementation, now it is affecting NVIDIA too (the "patch" was to make it "sticker" and less willing to boost up and down such that it can't instantly overdraw the caps when it surges).

And unfortunately the power management thing is practically a necessity with 7nm (which is why AMD was trialing it with Vega) given how lovely the voltage and thermal situation has become there.

Yeah unfortunately I didn't realize that when I picked it up, and Ampere cards were still so new that the pattern of problems weren't clearly established between the two components. At least their customer service made the swap-up/potential upgrade process pretty pain free, so I'm glad for that.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Humerus posted:

Recently had to familiarise myself with fan curves as well. Get the MSI Afterburner beta, make sure the A and 👤 buttons are on, then click the ⚙️ and configure the curve under the fan tab.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Paul MaudDib posted:

Correct. Super Flower has now been selling directly and they're great prices. It seems like Super Flower, Seasonic, possibly Thermaltake(?) would be the de-facto best no-brainer choices to go with.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Crap, thanks to this thread I realized my Seasonic PSU is one of the problematic ones (SSR-850FX).

Bought it mid 2019 so its probably the partially "fixed" version but its going to be unnecessarily exciting hooking up a 3080 to it. :saddowns:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Samsung clinches 2nd deal to make Nvidia’s latest gaming chips

So much for the talk about nvidia going to TSMC.

I wonder how much 3000 series supply is being increased by.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

OhFunny posted:

Samsung clinches 2nd deal to make Nvidia’s latest gaming chips

So much for the talk about nvidia going to TSMC.

I wonder how much 3000 series supply is being increased by.

Nobody expected NVIDIA to transition entirely to TSMC, it was in addition to producing at Samsung. The basic expectation was that there would probably be a couple high-end cards that got produced at TSMC but the lower stuff (and probably midrange) would all be Samsung.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

The idea is that you have a block, which includes a nonce, and you have to find a nonce that when the block is hashed produces a SHA hash with a certain amount of zeroes at the end. If you agree with the premise of a secure hash then there’s no correlated way to “tweak” the nonce to produce a particular hash, you essentially have to find them by random guessing.

Is nonce really the term because this reads entirely differently in the UK.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

ijyt posted:

Is nonce really the term because this reads entirely differently in the UK.

Yes it is which makes the fact that cryptocurrency is based on processing nonces quite the good pun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Finally caved and got Cyberpunk, it looks really nice! Playing at 1440p on a 3060 ti at Nvidia's suggested settings (high with ray tracing on high, DLSS set to quality) and I'm at 50-60 fps. Still need to figure out what I need to tweak to hit a consistent 60+, though.

(I will say that DLSS is super noticeable even in character creation)

change my name fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 18, 2020