Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

PeterCat posted:

It was amazing watching Spike Lee melt down that white people were ruining the ethnic flavor of his old neighborhood.

He's basically every rich old person ever bitching about the wrong people moving into his neighborhood.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2014/02/spike-lee-amazing-rant-against-gentrification.html

I'm sorry, what now?

/edit: I don't know enough about why Spike Lee is apparently an rear end in a top hat, but I'm failing to make the connection to a generalization here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Spike isn't unless you have an issue with when black people speak versus doing the been seen not heard thing

Or if you hate the Knicks

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
There large parts of my town outside chicago that don’t have sidewalks. That’s not a thing unique to this town either. That is my contribution to transport chat.

Re:clearances. Is there any way for him to make it so civilians have to reapply for clearances because that would really gum things up in a bad way.

E:a word

Richard Bong fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 18, 2020

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Richard Bong posted:

There large parts of my town outside chicago that don’t have sidewalks. That’s not a thing unique to this town either. That is my contribution to transport chat.

Re:clearances. Is there any way for him to make it so civilians have to reapply for clearances because that would really fun things up in a bad way.

Til jan 20 he is the final arbiter of who is allowed a clearance. I think he could actually strip everyone of their clearance, tho I imagine if he does something like that the agencies involved will just keep a list of who already cleared and reinstate them as soon as Biden gives the green light

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

mlmp08 posted:

Thank god we have you policing Spike Lee's ability to talk about gentrification because he didn't stay his rear end where he belonged, according to you. And so he has no right to bring up racism and gentrification? Get the gently caress outta here.

Was Simon Cat you, too?

Yes, SimonCat became PeterCat. Nothing gets by you.

"Where he belonged?" He can live wherever he wants, it's just really funny to me that he's complaining about people moving and ruining the neighborhood he grew up in when he didn't stay. He sounds exactly like the old guys I know who complain about Hispanics moving in or black people from Chicago moving in.

He's a comfortable rich man who doesn't like people who aren't like him.

Also, Da Five Bloods was half a good movie. The first half, dealing with black Vietnam vets coming back to Vietnam and dealing with their memories was really interesting. His half-assed remake of the Treasure of the Sierra Madre that made up the second half sucked.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Ah yes, the notoriously tight lipped Trump admin would never leak..

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RFC2324 posted:

Til jan 20 he is the final arbiter of who is allowed a clearance. I think he could actually strip everyone of their clearance, tho I imagine if he does something like that the agencies involved will just keep a list of who already cleared and reinstate them as soon as Biden gives the green light

I’m going to lol when the attack ads talk about the unprecedented number of people to whom Joseph Biden granted security clearances.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PeterCat posted:

"Where he belonged?" He can live wherever he wants, it's just really funny to me that he's complaining about people moving and ruining the neighborhood he grew up in when he didn't stay. He sounds exactly like the old guys I know who complain about Hispanics moving in or black people from Chicago moving in.

Also, Da Five Bloods was half a good movie. The first half, dealing with black Vietnam vets coming back to Vietnam and dealing with their memories was really interesting. His half-assed remake of the Treasure of the Sierra Madre that made up the second half sucked.

Yeah that's a good take on Da Five Bloods. I really liked Black Klansman so had high hopes, and agreed the first part was interesting and it seemed like the theme was going to be about how the guys were taken advantage of by their country and sent to war against a foe who were also suffering, and learning they now had things in common with their former enemy. Then it fell into the heroes endlessly mowing down Vietnamese guys for gold, so never mind violence is cool and good if you're doing it for money? Plus their actions get the landmine removal guy killed, so I thought it would end with them all dying because of greed and the gold being lost again but nope.

Was way too long almost pushing 3 hours.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

PeterCat posted:

No he doesn't. You're being a miserably disingenuous dumbass. And you're claiming he doesn't get to talk about his black experience, because he moved, and so he doesn't count unless he stays geographically where you think he has to stay for it to be a valid point. gently caress that.

Here is a quote from the link you posted:

Spike Lee posted:

Here’s the thing: I grew up here in Fort Greene. I grew up here in New York. It’s changed. And why does it take an influx of white New Yorkers in the south Bronx, in Harlem, in Bed Stuy, in Crown Heights for the facilities to get better? The garbage wasn’t picked up every motherfuckin’ day when I was living in 165 Washington Park. P.S. 20 was not good. P.S. 11. Rothschild 294. The police weren’t around. When you see white mothers pushing their babies in strollers, three o’clock in the morning on 125th Street, that must tell you something.

That’s another thing: Motherfuckin’… These real estate motherfuckers are changing names! Stuyvestant Heights? 110th to 125th, there’s another name for Harlem. What is it? What? What is it? No, no, not Morningside Heights. There’s a new one. [Audience: SpaHa] What the gently caress is that? How you changin’ names?

And we had the crystal ball, motherfuckin’ Do the Right Thing with John Savage’s character, when he rolled his bike over Buggin’ Out’s sneaker. I wrote that script in 1988. He was the first one. How you walking around Brooklyn with a Larry Bird jersey on? You can’t do that. Not in Bed Stuy.

So, look, you might say, “Well, there’s more police protection. The public schools are better.” Why are the public schools better? First of all, everybody can’t afford — even if you have money it’s still hard to get your kids into private school. Everybody wants to go to Saint Ann’s — you can’t get into Saint Ann’s. You can’t get into Friends. What’s the other one? In Brooklyn Heights. Packer. If you can’t get your child into there … It’s crazy. There’s a business now where people — you pay — people don’t even have kids yet and they’re taking this course about how to get your kid into private school. I’m not lying! If you can’t get your kid into private school and you’re white here, what’s the next best thing? All right, now we’re gonna go to public schools.

So, why did it take this great influx of white people to get the schools better? Why’s there more police protection in Bed Stuy and Harlem now? Why’s the garbage getting picked up more regularly? We been here!

So you're saying that when old white guys complain about Hispanic or black people moving into their neighborhood, some of the key complaints are that it took black people and Hispanic people moving in for the civic services and police to care about their neighborhood? And that when black people and Hispanic people moved in, the private school industry got very expensive, and it was a shame how that's when finally public schools started to get funded? And when black and Hispanic people moved in, fancy real estate agents renamed the streets to make them appeal to wealthier people? And when black and Hispanic people came, it priced renters and new buyers out of the market?

You are arguing that THAT is what white people complained about when black and Hispanic people moved into neighborhoods? This is a chef's kiss dumbass internet dude take to say that what Spike Lee said in your link is the same as segregationists.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In short, gentrification creates material problems for the people already living there.

“Hispanics moving in or black people from Chicago moving in” creates imaginary problems.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

suburbs were popular when there were less cars on the road, the drive from where I live to chicago has tripled between the 70s and now

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

It's the same stupid logic as "Well Kaepernick should shut up and just play! He's rich now, what does he have to care about police misconduct?!?"

Spike Lee being rich allows him to boost his voice and his take that gentrification is killing neighborhoods like the one he grew up in, even if it doesn't necessarily effect him anymore. That isn't a bad thing unless you're a moron.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

The year is 2077. The war between the Chad car havers and the virgin bike riders continues to ravage the land. Neither side gives an inch, not yields to the pedestrian. Infrastructure week has come.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Platystemon posted:

In short, gentrification creates material problems for the people already living there.

“Hispanics moving in or black people from Chicago moving in” creates imaginary problems.

It creates the very real problem of me having to adjust my budget so I have enough money available to support the greater diversity of restaurants and other businesses available near me

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
On the plus side, looks like Defector is working out!

https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1339983430113701893?s=19

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

GoGoGadget posted:

The year is 2077. The war between the Chad car havers and the virgin bike riders continues to ravage the land. Neither side gives an inch, not yields to the pedestrian. Infrastructure week has come.

my tits and dick flop incessantly in the wind thru my war boyz outfit

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

PeterCat posted:

I genuinely trying to wrap my German head around why you don't see the issue here.
Man's black, he gets to talk about the problem despite having money, no?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I genuinely trying to wrap my German head around why you don't see the issue here.

He only gets to be upset about black things if he stays poor. Once you realize thats the point of those posts, you can move on with ignoring the idiot

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

MA-Horus posted:

my tits and dick flop incessantly in the wind thru my war boyz outfit

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

He's had a history across two accounts of posting racist bullshit. I'm not sure if it's just because racist or if it's the galaxy-brain take where an internet-poisoned person thinks that as long as they believe in class war, it's impossible to be a racist, no matter how much what they're saying appears racist as all hell.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/A_W_McNamara/status/1339965393167904773?s=20

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mlmp08 posted:

He's had a history across two accounts of posting racist bullshit. I'm not sure if it's just because racist or if it's the galaxy-brain take where an internet-poisoned person thinks that as long as they believe in class war, it's impossible to be a racist, no matter how much what they're saying appears racist as all hell.

Class war is race war is a valid take(historically anti-poor measures seemed to hit minorities harder) but you have to remember to factor in the stupid racist portions when you judge it.

I think hes the dumbest tankie

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
My official guess on this stuff:

https://twitter.com/PDShinkman/status/1339997073484238861?s=19

Donnie yelled at Acting SecDef to block future talks because he didn't lose, you see, Congress will make him president on January 6th! And so they're spinning and coming up with bullshit excuses because they can't say the literal truth that Donnie ordered the stop. I believe it's actually illegal to block a transition per Congressional statutes, so give it a day or so.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

he's rich, so there's a risk people might listen to him, so we need an angle to dismiss him more forcefully.

if you're poor and criticize the system, you're either jealous, lazy, or bravely speaking against injustice (but we won't do anything substantial about it). if you're rich and criticize the system, you're either hypocritical, sheltered, or bravely speaking against injustice (but we won't do anything substantial about it).

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Next account will be Kramercat

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
or obama will tell u poo poo up and play and then u fold like a bitch

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Laughing at the concept of being unable to say a place is poo poo because you moved out of it, due to it being poo poo

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Black Rifle Coffee is now in Bass Pro and Cabela's stores. So maybe don't shop there. I mean I'm not. gently caress them for enabling those shithead chuds.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I only go to bass pro for bullets. Which they conveniently never have in stock anyhow.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Black Rifle Coffee is now in Bass Pro and Cabela's stores. So maybe don't shop there. I mean I'm not. gently caress them for enabling those shithead chuds.

I thought chuds hate them now, for not helping and/or kissing Kyle's rear end.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

MazelTovCocktail posted:

They do.

It's hilarious.

What A Hell of a Way To Die podcast does a great episode on it.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7mIuS9GiBEJoKvkN4Qg89Q?si=kLC0TM6FQ2qw-FR74Ntcvw

piss boner
May 17, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I thought chuds were exclusive to tall boys of monster/rockstar.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I haven't been in one for a few years, but I always liked wandering around in those stores. :(

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Wasabi the J posted:

or obama will tell u poo poo up and play and then u fold like a bitch

Probated for telling the truth lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

I’m going to lol when the attack ads talk about the unprecedented number of people to whom Joseph Biden granted security clearances.

Oh god it's going to work too

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/BarrierSlat/status/1340003301316829190

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1339946782759989249

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Really not selling me on moving back to my home of record post-retirement....

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

nwin posted:

Really not selling me on moving back to my home of record post-retirement....

Great training opportunity for the use of batons and tear gas, what a missed opportunity. They could kettle them out the front door then gas them in the parking lot. But they're white so they'll be called a 'militia' and catered to like pampered children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/regularcorrect/status/1339947821311676416