Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I liked the Andromeda ending as well. It actually felt a lot like what ME3's ending should've been: you round up a bunch of your friends and blow up meanie. The end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
That is a good ending

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pattonesque posted:

you never actually fire a bullet at the archon IIRC, you just fire at like some pylons near him and his big snake monster

what a villain

While this is true, I'm not sure if the distinction is important? You're shooting something regardless and dodging something regardless?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

poo poo, why not just have clicking and watch a number go up

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

chaosapiant posted:

While this is true, I'm not sure if the distinction is important? You're shooting something regardless and dodging something regardless?

I'd like to actually engage with the big bad guy, not like, fire at some pylons and kill a monster I've killed like three times beforehand

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pattonesque posted:

I'd like to actually engage with the big bad guy, not like, fire at some pylons and kill a monster I've killed like three times beforehand

This makes sense. I just don’t think I felt disengaged from the Archon despite not shooting him directly. But I get where you’re coming from. It felt like, for me, the actual “boss” was wresting control of Meridian from the Archon to me, which was satisfying enough.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
The final boss fight should have involved the Archon shrinking Ryder and co down and eating them. Then they have to fight their way to the Archon's brain and plug a copy of SAM in so that SAM can finally achieve his dream of having a body.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

(i can’t recall a single bug or graphic anomaly in my recent play through)

MEA with 0 bugs or weird animation hi-jinks is still a really bad game tho

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Moola posted:

MEA with 0 bugs or weird animation hi-jinks is still a really bad game tho

man they did not do themselves any favors with the animation/my face is tired/backwards gun poo poo. That alone probably cost them like several hundred thousand post-launch sales

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Admiral Ray posted:

The final boss fight should have involved the Archon shrinking Ryder and co down and eating them. Then they have to fight their way to the Archon's brain and plug a copy of SAM in so that SAM can finally achieve his dream of having a body.

Fantastic voyage should be cannibalized into more games

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

man they did not do themselves any favors with the animation/my face is tired/backwards gun poo poo. That alone probably cost them like several hundred thousand post-launch sales

I still cannot believe "my face is tired" is a line someone wrote down, and then another person spoke out loud, and then another group of people edited into an actual scene

nobody in the history of humanity has ever used those words in that order before this game did it lol

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Pattonesque posted:

“My face is tired” is exactly the reason why I’ve never bought or played ME:A, no joke.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Moola posted:

I still cannot believe "my face is tired" is a line someone wrote down, and then another person spoke out loud, and then another group of people edited into an actual scene

nobody in the history of humanity has ever used those words in that order before this game did it lol

I don't actually think the line itself is that bad, it was in the process of all the other stuff you mentioned being completely terrible that it came off the way it did as an absurd laughingstock. Like, imagine some weary administrator rattling off "my face is tired" as a hyperbolic way to describe feeling like poo poo, it's not that far-fetched. Unfortunately no one on the Mass Effect team at that point was singly or collaboratively capable of doing work that made it work.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Doctor Nutt posted:

I don't actually think the line itself is that bad, it was in the process of all the other stuff you mentioned being completely terrible that it came off the way it did as an absurd laughingstock. Like, imagine some weary administrator rattling off "my face is tired" as a hyperbolic way to describe feeling like poo poo, it's not that far-fetched. Unfortunately no one on the Mass Effect team at that point was singly or collaboratively capable of doing work that made it work.

yeah it's like, ME2 had some weird poo poo in it like that weird Shepard grin but the game rocked so no one really cared. With MEA you couldn't point to very much good to outweigh the bad

the worse line in her thing is when she goes "sorry, I'm resorting to poetry" after saying something not particularly poetic

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Moola posted:

It makes my face tired just thinking about it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Moola posted:

I honestly never played that far before returning it, but the context was about her being tired of faking a smile for the crew or something right?

Which.. I mean I guess that kind of works. But it's still such a bad way of saying it, especially considering all the terrible visual bugs/design they had. Exactly the wrong line basically if you didn't want to get made fun of.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Exactly the wrong line basically if you didn't want to get made fun of.

You have a character named Pelessaria B’Sayle. You need a nickname for her

Do you call her:

A. Pelly
B. Lessy
C. Sari
D. The one that sounds like “piss hornet”

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

You have a character named Pelessaria B’Sayle. You need a nickname for her

Do you call her:

A. Pelly
B. Lessy
C. Sari
D. The one that sounds like “piss hornet”

D. The one that sounds like "piss hornet"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

orange juche posted:

D. The one that sounds like "piss hornet"

they could have also named her something that would have resulted in a way less embarrassing nickname but they turned, faced their own goal, and rocketed a cracking strike right into the top corner

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
It feels like a good chunk of the budget and dev time just went straight to the sex scenes. Like way to much dev time. The one I got just kept going for an uncomfortable amount of time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pops Mgee posted:

It feels like a good chunk of the budget and dev time just went straight to the sex scenes. Like way to much dev time. The one I got just kept going for an uncomfortable amount of time.

Isn't that every bioware game though

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Andromeda’s were way more elaborate than the previous 3.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Considering the crunch Bioware was under after dicking around for 4 years management probabky thought it woukd be thr best return on time investment.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Doctor Nutt posted:

This was exactly how I read the line the first time, and I played it before reading everyone started pointing it out. It’s odd, but I felt I understood what was being said and moved right along. I feel like if I let petty poo poo like that ruin a video game for me, then the problem is me, not the game. It felt like another way of saying “I’ve been putting on a brave face for the crew, but the situation is dire.”

I also, recently, read Nexus Uprising. In as far as being a decently entertaining read that sets up the game, the book is really good. Her character (as well as Sloan, Tann, and Kesh) makes a lot more sense after reading how everything that could go wrong went wrong. The cool thing about the book was that there wasn’t really a bad guy. Just desperate groups of people trying to survive with different priorities and I empathized with all of them.

Except Spender. Spender is a loving dick.

But yea, Andromeda is a solid 7.5-8/10 for me. It’s my least favorite ME game but has some fantastic moments. Also, female Ryder is a really well voiced character.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

orange juche posted:

Isn't that every bioware game though

One of the funniest things in greedfall was the sex scenes. Because you had default armor for every slot except the helmet, they never modeled any character unarmored. So you and your partner do all the pre sex stuff in full armor and then just fall into bed still clothed.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
My issue with ME:A is that I basically didn't like any of the characters. I wanted to throw like half the crew off my ship and never had the ability to. Inquisition owned because I got to kick the annoying elements out of the Inquisition.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

My issue with ME:A is that I basically didn't like any of the characters. I wanted to throw like half the crew off my ship and never had the ability to. Inquisition owned because I got to kick the annoying elements out of the Inquisition.

This is crucial, I think—in the case of Liam he puts the entire mission in jeopardy by divulging state secrets to a rando and the WORST you can say is “oh, you!”

Like I never kick anyone out but the option to do so is crucial

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I also hate how the human leadership in general and your father in specific engineered the entire andromeda project to give humans an edge over the other races, and broke every single AI Law in existence, and you can't really do anything about it.

You can pass judgement on all the skeevy poo poo the other races do though.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

they could have also named her something that would have resulted in a way less embarrassing nickname but they turned, faced their own goal, and rocketed a cracking strike right into the top corner

You know they named her PB first. The full name 100% came after

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

womb with a view posted:

You know they named her PB first. The full name 100% came after

even "PB" would have been way better than "PeeBee"

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I forgot they did that. Why did they do that? They do that in Star Wars and I hate it. "Artoo" instead of R2

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

chaosapiant posted:

This was exactly how I read the line the first time, and I played it before reading everyone started pointing it out. It’s odd, but I felt I understood what was being said and moved right along. I feel like if I let petty poo poo like that ruin a video game for me, then the problem is me, not the game. It felt like another way of saying “I’ve been putting on a brave face for the crew, but the situation is dire.”

I also, recently, read Nexus Uprising. In as far as being a decently entertaining read that sets up the game, the book is really good. Her character (as well as Sloan, Tann, and Kesh) makes a lot more sense after reading how everything that could go wrong went wrong. The cool thing about the book was that there wasn’t really a bad guy. Just desperate groups of people trying to survive with different priorities and I empathized with all of them.

Except Spender. Spender is a loving dick.

But yea, Andromeda is a solid 7.5-8/10 for me. It’s my least favorite ME game but has some fantastic moments. Also, female Ryder is a really well voiced character.

I didn't like Andromeda all that much but I did think Nexus Uprising was not a bad read. Unfortunately it me up to like Sloane and give a poo poo about her character and then she kinda sucks in the game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

yo just wanna chime in to say it's 2020, poo poo sucks, everything's terrible

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Doctor Nutt posted:

I didn't like Andromeda all that much but I did think Nexus Uprising was not a bad read. Unfortunately it me up to like Sloane and give a poo poo about her character and then she kinda sucks in the game.

I was a bit disappointed that in the game she’s essentially a villain. If not for having read the book and understanding where she’s coming from I’d have picked Reyes over her.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Admiral Ray posted:

Grandpa Krogan was ok.

Jaal sucked poo poo though. That guy was nothing but a whiny baby the whole game.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Pops Mgee posted:

Jaal sucked poo poo though. That guy was nothing but a whiny baby the whole game.

"My species is very emotional"

no Jaal, to you your species is normal and everyone else is really repressed, maybe you could show us instead of telling us?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

chaosapiant posted:

I was a bit disappointed that in the game she’s essentially a villain. If not for having read the book and understanding where she’s coming from I’d have picked Reyes over her.

Yup, I felt the same way!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I did like the epilogue that let you talk to a poo poo load of characters big and small. It was a cool moment. Drack is the best Krogan ever. The rest of the crew took some time to grow on me, but most of them did. Also, Jaal’s stare down with the Roekaar leader where he gets shot in the face was bad rear end, don’t care who you are. That moment was cool as gently caress.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I did like the epilogue that let you talk to a poo poo load of characters big and small. It was a cool moment. Drack is the best Krogan ever. The rest of the crew took some time to grow on me, but most of them did. Also, Jaal’s stare down with the Roekaar leader where he gets shot in the face was bad rear end, don’t care who you are. That moment was cool as gently caress.

I’ll give MEA this: it’s honestly impressive how much post-game dialogue your crew has. I think there are like four or five full convos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've said this before in regards to Andromeda, but one of the main design problems is that there are no real fail conditions. If you make the mistake of clicking buttons in the vicinity of your companions, they will end up liking you and you'll bloody deal with it.

This has always been one of the prominent issues with Mass Effect, wherein having three different choices lead to the same outcome will plague you right up to the loving Starchild climax, but feels especially pronounced in Andromeda because there just flat out are not any consequences to anything.

It is a game where you cannot send Thane into the vents.