Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Z the IVth posted:

I wonder why the EU doesn't just drag it's feet and let Britain starve because of interminable customs queues. They can send peacekeepers and annex the choiciest parts after we descend into a rerun of 1990s Yugoslavia.

Unironically because the EU knows it couldn't pull off letting children starve without a mass rebellion even in the right-winger ranks. Gotta remember, half of the right-wing wants to call themselves Christian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jakabite posted:

you're a mercenary criminal, why is such a large chunk of your side activity working for the cops in a pretty buddy buddy way?

Hmm yeah, no way that would happen in real life lol

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

OwlFancier posted:

I again feel vindicated by having paid slightly less attention to it than star citizen.

Star Citizen is entertainingly bad, cyberpunk is just bad

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

It’s a nice word, but the idea that Cyberpunk 2077 doesn’t engage with the political elements of small-c cyberpunk is an absolutely bonkers absurd assessment that for some reason has been repeated by pretty much every commentator I’ve heard on the game. Politics practically drip off this game, it would probably be the most explicitly left-wing game I’d played in years if I hadn’t also played Disco Elysium.

Like, the very first time I left the player character’s flat I saw a news report about a group of terrorists that called themselves a “trade union” that had caused work stoppages leading to the tragic loss of profits to corporations.

Talk of left-wing games, I recently played Suzerain which is a game set in a fictional country in a fictional world which is conveniently an awful lot like Cold War era our world. You take over as leader of a country with a history of revolution and all that, ruled by one party for 20+ years.

It's quite satisfying as far as these things go, fairly simplistic choices and all that but hey, you can be a hard leftie and democratise the country while also stopping and reversing free market liberalisation of your predecessor, which is satisfying.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

sassassin posted:

Hmm yeah, no way that would happen in real life lol

Sure, but it shouldn't be a mandatory part of your open world future crime game. A small side quest bit, sure, but not like the main other thing you do other than the main storyline.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I wish I could play disco Elysium for the first time again gently caress maybe it was being on benzos while playing it but I've never been so immersed in a games world.

British sea power made an incredible.soundttack for it too which is unbelievable

I hope his book gets a translation when it's released

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Similarly, I hope Frostpunk does a Special Edition fanfic book laced in Soviet benzos that makes me order a Hammond organ after reading it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Similarly, I hope Frostpunk does a Special Edition fanfic book laced in Soviet benzos that makes me order a Hammond organ after reading it.

I was on a Soviet benzo equivalent called phenibut lol I don't recommend people buy it the withdrawals aren't pleasant

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Phenibut was the joose that got someone in TCC to order a grand piano without realizing so that fits.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I talked my partner out of pre-ordering Cyberpunk months ago and I am now insufferably smug about my Never Preordering Videogames policy :smugdog:

Jose posted:

I wish I could play disco Elysium for the first time again gently caress maybe it was being on benzos while playing it but I've never been so immersed in a games world.
I was about to start a second playthrough but then I found out there’s a ‘Definitive Edition’ with more regions and voice acting and whatnot coming out this summer so I’m thinking maybe I should wait for that

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Cyberpunk77 has been a riot, love to see all the psychos who dogpiled that one review that was basically 'a little buggy, gave me an almost fatal seizure. 7/10' come to the realization that the reviewer was actually being extremely generous about the game's current state.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

TACD posted:

I was about to start a second playthrough but then I found out there’s a ‘Definitive Edition’ with more regions and voice acting and whatnot coming out this summer so I’m thinking maybe I should wait for that

Oh gently caress yeah. I was nearing the end (I think?) and then my save completely corrupted :)))) I hate replaying things in games so never went back but this makes me think it may well be worth it.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jose posted:

British sea power made an incredible.soundttack for it too which is unbelievable

I hope his book gets a translation when it's released

I really enjoyed it up until the point where I had to sit on a bench and wait for the next quest

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Jose posted:

I was on a Soviet benzo equivalent called phenibut lol I don't recommend people buy it the withdrawals aren't pleasant

How much were you taking and how often that it got that bad?!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Phenibut was the joose that got someone in TCC to order a grand piano without realizing so that fits.

That's phenazepam

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

willie_dee posted:

How much were you taking and how often that it got that bad?!

I have poor impulse control and haven't been in full time employment for like 2 years now

I have got used to getting through it but I would not recommend it

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://www.vice.com/en/article/dy8x77/this-corner-of-england-is-ground-zero-for-brexit-chaos-and-it-literally-reeks-of-piss

Some amazing karma in that article. Including the brexit voting guy who can't go in his garden as it reeks strongly of piss from a constant barrage of 2l bottles of it being chucked from passing lorries and the woman who had a building site built around her house shocked that its negatively affected her own life and not the "people it should have"

I hope Kent drowns in piss. Sorry any goons that live there!

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

forkboy84 posted:

Talk of left-wing games, I recently played Suzerain which is a game set in a fictional country in a fictional world which is conveniently an awful lot like Cold War era our world. You take over as leader of a country with a history of revolution and all that, ruled by one party for 20+ years.

It's quite satisfying as far as these things go, fairly simplistic choices and all that but hey, you can be a hard leftie and democratise the country while also stopping and reversing free market liberalisation of your predecessor, which is satisfying.

I remember Hidden Agenda was a fantastic game where you played as the leader of a South American country which had recently had a revolution during the Cold War. You'd make decisions based on stuff put to you both by internal factions as well as the USA/USSR. The Americans and the Soviets would offer you various goodies to enact various policies they liked, and you'd get couped by right wingers every time unless you went hardcore for one side or the other. The representative agitating for justice for mothers who lost their children to the previous regime's death squads would usually get murdered by the School of the Americas representative too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

That's phenazepam
You're right, we need a sliding scale of pianofortes centred on stolen hospital temazepam and McLarens upright pianos.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jose posted:

Isn't the one from the famous TCC benzo ambulance posts?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Continuity NIP posted:

Isn't the one from the famous TCC benzo ambulance posts?
No Jose was right, that was phenazepam and it can cause ordering grand pianos that might not fit your current domicile from the former Soviet Union.

Which is still less of a health risk than ordering grand pianos that might not fit your current domicile from the former Soviet Union without health insurance in the present United States.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Guavanaut posted:

No Jose was right, that was phenazepam and it can cause ordering grand pianos that might not fit your current domicile from the former Soviet Union.

Which is still less of a health risk than ordering grand pianos that might not fit your current domicile from the former Soviet Union without health insurance in the present United States.

A Soviet grand piano is probably better than any western piano for the same price

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The former USSR eBay sellers are currently auctioning off their master weed growers medals for a lower price than Western EU sellers are pushing for the same things, so that might be indicative of a major move within the next few months after the UN cannabis resolution. Or it might just be a currency thing with an equally momentous resolution difference in UK/EU/Russia pricing, who knows.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

They create a lot of individual bits of the world which are anti-capitalist but then you do most of your work for the cops with no commentary or option to choose not to. It not only doesn't make sense politically but it doesn't make sense in the story - you're a mercenary criminal, why is such a large chunk of your side activity working for the cops in a pretty buddy buddy way? The game is very confused. If anyone's considering playing it I'd recommend against for now even on a banging PC. It just isn't finished. The vast majority of the mechanics either barely work, feel half finished or just Aren't Fun. It's riddled with bugs too, even outside of performance stuff. Stealth was clearly meant to be a very key part of the game but LOS is unclear, you randomly stand up whenever you touch a friendly NPC, and the levels just don't seem very well designed for it and all. Not to mention that half the core mechanics (lethal/non-lethal kills, bodies, to name two) are literally irrelevant or broken. It's like some PS2 poo poo half the time. As you can tell I am not happy that it's turned out this way.

I’m not sure I’ve done a single bit of work for the cops. AFAIK, that’s all side content, if you don’t want to do it don’t do it. It doesn’t clash with the principles of the game, anyway. You’re not playing a revolutionary, you’re a working guy in a world that everyone accepts and hates. It’s a dystopia in every way, it’s ultra-hyper capitalism gone amuck, and also neoliberalism where people simply can’t imagine a different world to the point where a news anchor literally has to explain the concept of a trade union to the audience (as terrorism, of course). They work with the cops because why wouldn’t they? They can’t imagine any different than a system where armed mercenaries are paid job-by-job to shoot up crack dens.

The entire theme of the game is how terrible capitalism is, but also that we can still find meaning and connection in human relationships. Almost everything in this game is there to reinforce this theme. This is why I’ve been so frustrated at critics saying stuff like “I love these touching moments with characters, but then it’s undermined by the crass advertising” that I’ve been literally shouting “THAT’S THE loving POINT” at podcasts.

As for bugs, I don’t want to be “that guy” but I’ve been playing on Series X and while there have been more weird bugs than I’d like, it’s generally stable and certainly playable. The combat is fine, hardly best in class, but enjoyable, and a drat sight better than something like Fallout. I’ve got some issues with some smaller stuff like XP balancing, but I’m certainly having a good time. If you’ve got a next-gen console or a decent PC I definitely recommend it. It might be the best realised world in all videogames, and it’s vying with FF7R for my game of the year. We’ll see what I think when I finish it (It’ll be a while).

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

bustin keaton posted:

Caught the fuckin' rona. Merry Christmas.

Xmas wishes (that your white blood cells get swole af and murder the virus).

Also, wild goatse spotted in the FT, of all places

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 19, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Comrade Fakename posted:

I’m not sure I’ve done a single bit of work for the cops. AFAIK, that’s all side content, if you don’t want to do it don’t do it. It doesn’t clash with the principles of the game, anyway. You’re not playing a revolutionary, you’re a working guy in a world that everyone accepts and hates. It’s a dystopia in every way, it’s ultra-hyper capitalism gone amuck, and also neoliberalism where people simply can’t imagine a different world to the point where a news anchor literally has to explain the concept of a trade union to the audience (as terrorism, of course). They work with the cops because why wouldn’t they? They can’t imagine any different than a system where armed mercenaries are paid job-by-job to shoot up crack dens.

The entire theme of the game is how terrible capitalism is, but also that we can still find meaning and connection in human relationships. Almost everything in this game is there to reinforce this theme. This is why I’ve been so frustrated at critics saying stuff like “I love these touching moments with characters, but then it’s undermined by the crass advertising” that I’ve been literally shouting “THAT’S THE loving POINT” at podcasts.

As for bugs, I don’t want to be “that guy” but I’ve been playing on Series X and while there have been more weird bugs than I’d like, it’s generally stable and certainly playable. The combat is fine, hardly best in class, but enjoyable, and a drat sight better than something like Fallout. I’ve got some issues with some smaller stuff like XP balancing, but I’m certainly having a good time. If you’ve got a next-gen console or a decent PC I definitely recommend it. It might be the best realised world in all videogames, and it’s vying with FF7R for my game of the year. We’ll see what I think when I finish it (It’ll be a while).

Ehhhh kinda, like yeah some of it is very much deliberately "This has become so normalized that everyone accepts it unthinkingly" (The ads are a perfect example, they've clearly just kept on advancing until "Literally Experience Eating rear end" is perfectly acceptable to advertise omnipresently) and you're meant to be just another dipshit in the machine, but as an open world game there feels like there's a disharmony between narrative and gameplay expectations. Like, maybe it shouldn't be possible to succeed in effecting long-term or real change, but you should definitely be able to go and try do things that make a material dent in the corps or whatever. We're playing it to live out our awesome future cybernetic fantasies, so being railroaded into "Actually things are poo poo and only ever getting worse, you cannot even *attempt* to change this" is just... not that fun?

Especially given, you know, the whole Johnny Silverhand thing. If there was ever an opportunity for the setting to tell a story about trying to change things (However that ended up) it was here. They tried to hype it up as "How do you keep yourself centered, how do you even know which thoughts are yours and which are Johnny's?", but they largely bungled that because A) Your 'disagreements' are mostly you two sniping at each other, and B) It would have been far more interesting if there was an actual tension between what should be done and how to do it, e.g. you might come to agree with Johnny about things needing to change, but you can try to build a community to do it rather than taking his route, or something.

Ending spoilers: It also doesn't help that if you take a particular course, they completely stick to their word and if anything exceed it, spending what must be incredible sums of money to give you MONTHS of medical treatment in an orbital facility, and then offer you something that is seen during the game as perhaps the most elite thing available to the world's wealthiest, bypassing any cost or wait times. Like, that goes well beyond "Fine this person did something that benefits us, cut them a check and tell them to gently caress off."

The thing is that it doesn't feel like a statement on things being hopeless/finding meaning despite the state of the world/etc., what it feels like is they themselves lacked vision as much as the inhabitants of Night City. I made a big post in Games about it regarding my thoughts and ultimately my question was "Why use this setting?" - there's nothing said here that hasn't been said in a Grand Theft Auto or even Saint's Row.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
What stage of Brexit is the Telegraph at you ask?

http://imgur.com/a/UKPULs3

Why it's the viewing the Plague as a judgement of God on your enemies for sleights against you stage.

Can't be mad I'd have partied like an Ewok at the end of Star Wars if Boris had died.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Gonzo McFee posted:

What stage of Brexit is the Telegraph at you ask?

http://imgur.com/a/UKPULs3

Why it's the viewing the Plague as a judgement of God on your enemies for sleights against you stage.

Can't be mad I'd have partied like an Ewok at the end of Star Wars if Boris had died.

I wonder what his hot take was on half the UK government catching it back in April...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Guys, I know this might be a far out there theory. but what if brexit ruins corporate profits? does that mean we were lied to?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I've enjoyed CyberPunk. Ive managed to avoid pretty much all bugs apart from some floating items, which despawn when you look away anyway.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vigil for Virgil posted:

I've enjoyed CyberPunk. Ive managed to avoid pretty much all bugs apart from some floating items, which despawn when you look away anyway.

it feels really boring to me, the levels are fairly samey and there isnt a giant amount of motivation to go see things as the game seems boxed in.
I believe this is partly to due with the grotesque performance issues people have had, forcing them to make the game small in scope.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Same, fun game with some great stories in it.

Aldaocaldos 4 life

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Same. I'm about half way through the story and having a good time. "Witcher 3 in sci fi land" is what I wanted and for the most part it's what we got.

I just hope the game doesn't end on a "both sides" neolib copout note. It feels like it could go either way.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Guys, I know this might be a far out there theory. but what if brexit ruins corporate profits? does that mean we were lied to?

I'm sure some companies will find that their profits are impacted, and some will undoubtedly go under, but the bigger corporations will simply announce (I typed annonce, which seems apt) that due to economic conditions, they'll have to move their operations to France/Ireland/Kyrgyzstan and one of their mates in the UK Govt will find a way to let them avoid tax if they stay.

Ain't no mega-corps going bust with this gang of cunts running the show.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-fruit-veg-pickers-eu-b1775742.html

quote:

Ministers are poised to treble the number of foreign workers allowed into the UK to pick fruit and vegetables, to ease fears of rotting harvests because of Brexit.

In a major concession to worried farmers, 30,000 temporary staff will be given permits in 2021, up from 10,000 this year, under a document circulated for an announcement due next week.

The move comes despite the Home Office dismissing warnings that stricter post-Brexit immigration rules would leave crops unpicked, insisting domestic workers would plug the gap.

etc

Why aren't all brexit voters required to do 1 month of farm work every year as a kind of national service?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Because they think they fought in the war personally and have done their time, despite the fact that they're in their 50s.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought Brexit would force farmers to increase their wages and conditions until the point where people would be quitting their jobs to work harvesting vegetables.

I hope that wasn't all bollocks and that in reality the government folds like a napkin and brings in a bunch of desperate people willing to work cheap.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
People looking for good cyberpunk games should check out the shadowrun rpgs, they're pretty drat good.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I thought Brexit would force farmers to increase their wages and conditions until the point where people would be quitting their jobs to work harvesting vegetables.

I hope that wasn't all bollocks and that in reality the government folds like a napkin and brings in a bunch of desperate people willing to work cheap.

I thought the margins were so tight that it was cheaper to let it rot than increase wages, which is why it hasn't happened. Mostly because the supermarkets won't pay more, because customers won't pay more and it's some sort of bizzare game of chicken with supermarkets trying to sneakily raise prices without triggering consumer awareness enough and all trying to be the last one to have to do it because shoppers will just go to 'other supermarket that is eating the loss for now'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Flipping a coin between "nationalize the supermarkets and set prices" and "let the farms collapse and take them over as collective agriculture."