Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Deathlove posted:

Oh no, I need to buy an account! Whomst has a discount or referral or such for me?

you can read a few articles before hitting the paywall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

R.D. Mangles posted:

you can read a few articles before hitting the paywall.

Aren't they running a holiday discount as well?

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Wondering if Undefeated might be the next thing ESPN pulls apart:
https://mobile.twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1339612822133743616

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Anals of History posted:

I mean maybe but a guy leaving to be the editor of the washington post isn't necessarily a sign of that, that's a clear big job upgrade. Newspapers generally might be dying but that one is not.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Anals of History posted:

god, the whole Undefeated project was weird. originally going to have Jason Whitlock, who was going to butter up to LeBron for funding/content, only for LeBron to start Uninterrupted (which is basically The Undefeated except By LeBron James And Maverick Carter With Jemele Hill), and now possibly dead.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
it's good

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AA pulled the tweet, what was it about?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

DJExile posted:

AA pulled the tweet, what was it about?

Editor of The Undefeated being in the running for a WaPo job. Source may have recanted.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

I mean maybe but a guy leaving to be the editor of the washington post isn't necessarily a sign of that, that's a clear big job upgrade. Newspapers generally might be dying but that one is not.

For sure, and obviously this all might be moot. It's hard not to wonder when it seems like Undefeated has been a dead site walking for so long.

Troy Queef posted:

god, the whole Undefeated project was weird. originally going to have Jason Whitlock, who was going to butter up to LeBron for funding/content, only for LeBron to start Uninterrupted (which is basically The Undefeated except By LeBron James And Maverick Carter With Jemele Hill), and now possibly dead.

Stealing from Whitlock, hiring people that Whitlock would happily throw under the bus to appeal to the Outkick/Barstool set, is outstanding.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
https://mobile.twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1339983430113701893

Context: numb nuts above says he'll give them a half million if they make 10 posts over 100 days, and get both 10,000 subscribers and page views.

They've exceeded every goal.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
LOL.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

He's already weaseling out of it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The Defector folks essentially admitted he'd weasel out of it in the article and pre-called him out, so it's not like they expected half a mil in cash to show up overnight.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao shout out to the defector rear end in a top hat who decided making a ethics in gaming journalism post was a good idea.

https://twitter.com/DevRelCallum/status/1340725867572584448

gently caress off

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 20, 2020

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Already deleted, what did it say? Also what does this Callum Underwood guy have to do with Defector?

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 20, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Already deleted, what did it say?

Writer quote tweeted this

but deleted it because assholes.

https://twitter.com/DevRelCallum/status/1340769030148411393

https://twitter.com/duckvalentine/status/1340734848063954952

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jfc, albert

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
gently caress Defector

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I haven't read the article, but critics giving good ratings to heavily hyped big budget AAA CP 2077 is the opposite of giving a good rating to Depression Quest.

Edit: I read it, he doesn't name any critics, but he's criticizing the reviewers who had the leverage to get advance copies in exchange for signing an NDA.

How is criticizing big sites like IGN and GameInformer "punching down"?

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 21, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The X-man cometh posted:

I haven't read the article, but critics giving good ratings to heavily hyped big budget AAA CP 2077 is the opposite of giving a good rating to Depression Quest.

Edit: I read it, he doesn't name any critics, but he's criticizing the reviewers who had the leverage to get advance copies in exchange for signing an NDA.

He’s not criticizing the larger media entities he’s calling the journalists themselves “sellout clowns”. The broader point about how games journalism works is fair but it swings way too much at the people at the bottom of the totem pole

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

Because that's not how reviewing at big or any game sites work at all(also not just large sites got that game for review),That so called "NDA" is just the review embargo like every single other industry has in place for receiving review copies, early hardware or seeing early screeners of movies.

If you read almost any of those reviews. They pretty much all mention, that CDPR gave them the PC version for review, they asked for a console version but were not given one.

The PC version of that game has some bugs but is playable, and most all of those reviews stated it had some bugs but the PC version of the game largely functions as one would expect. Some silly glitches here and there but nothing that really ruins the experience.

There is no secret loving NDA that Game Reviewers signed. They were just reviewing the thing they got like they do every other time. There was just a version of that thing that came out that CDPR didn't show or give to anyone, it's loving dumb as bricks to blame the reviewers for that.

It'd be like if someone reviewed a Movie in an IMAX screening, posted a review, and then trying to blow up that reviewers spot when the non-Imax screenings looked and sounded like poo poo for whatever reason.

Blaming the reviewers for not being able to review the Xbone/PS4 console ports ahead of time is some fuckshit, that was solely on loving CDPR.

But lmao yeah attack the writers. And not the system and companies trying to obfuscate the truth I guess...

Dexo fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 21, 2020

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Also did anyone actually put out any reviews that completely glossed over problems? As far as I can tell, no one gave the game an uncritical 10/10. Given that Albert didn’t actually mention any, I feel like I can assume he just made up poo poo for no reason. IGN gave PC 9/10 and consoles 4/10. Gamespot: 7/10. So who is he talking about?

Also lol: https://twitter.com/mikemcwhertor/status/1340808231430582280?s=21

Edit: Yeah, my friends who have played on PC range from probably a 6-9/10 range, but all said I should wait if I do play it. And most articles and discussion seemed to follow that as well. Just mind-boggling to pick out, of all the issues of the release, that game reviewers working to finish the game in a few days are the real problem.

Nybble fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 21, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like I disagree with the 9/10 PC version, and am much closer to the 7 range for the PC version. But I talk with people who are loving the poo poo out of it, and all a video game review is, is a singular person's opinion on a game.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It seems like an ill-informed, ill-considered, shooting-from-the-hip take from Burneko, but on the other hand I think ~games reviewers~ as an abstract whole (he doesn’t call out anyone specific) will be okay, I’m sure they’ve survived worse.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

Like I disagree with the 9/10 PC version, and am much closer to the 7 range for the PC version. But I talk with people who are loving the poo poo out of it, and all a video game review is, is a singular person's opinion on a game.

I mean I really like it, and the Steam user reviews are mostly positive, with a lot of the negative reviews coming from a bunch of people who had 50+ hours in a game that's been out for like 10 days.

It's not a masterpiece but the PC version is "Pretty Good" if you don't mind some of the silly bugs. The console versions are crap but like you said most places that gave it a good review explicitly were reviewing the PC version or never even got the console.

He had a dumb take made even loving worse by invoking gamergate in that way.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Nybble posted:

Also did anyone actually put out any reviews that completely glossed over problems? As far as I can tell, no one gave the game an uncritical 10/10. Given that Albert didn’t actually mention any, I feel like I can assume he just made up poo poo for no reason. IGN gave PC 9/10 and consoles 4/10. Gamespot: 7/10. So who is he talking about?

Also lol: https://twitter.com/mikemcwhertor/status/1340808231430582280?s=21

Edit: Yeah, my friends who have played on PC range from probably a 6-9/10 range, but all said I should wait if I do play it. And most articles and discussion seemed to follow that as well. Just mind-boggling to pick out, of all the issues of the release, that game reviewers working to finish the game in a few days are the real problem.

I dont really get how you can read the ign review and think it's a critical look at the game. I think the game needs a year or two of patches and the obvious comparison here is no mans sky which went from a 6 to a 7.8 in 3 years, and you have to understand that review score is not a linear thing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

hifi posted:

I dont really get how you can read the ign review and think it's a critical look at the game. I think the game needs a year or two of patches and the obvious comparison here is no mans sky which went from a 6 to a 7.8 in 3 years, and you have to understand that review score is not a linear thing.

I did,

This was literally in the review

quote:

Bugs in the System

Unfortunately, the amount of bugs I’ve experienced really does need to be mentioned. I’ve only been able to play Cyberpunk 2077 on a PC with a GeForce RTX 3080 GPU, and as of writing this I have yet to lay hands on either the PlayStation or Xbox versions, but the issues I’ve encountered were extremely frequent and distracting. Performance on Ultra settings at 1080p with ray tracing off was largely okay for me, as you’d hope would be the absolute bare minimum on a brand-new and still-hard-to-get graphics card, generally only noticeably dropping in framerate while driving around busy areas or in certain weather conditions – but it was the routinely messed up animations, missing models, and glitchy dialogue that really got to me.

I’ve had important or emotional conversations undermined by the characters I was talking to glitching between incorrect poses, or the objects they were holding and referencing not load in at all. I’d frequently get phone calls in the middle of other conversations, causing two simultaneous discussions to overlap. I’ve had to sit through drives with my camera distractingly bobbing like I was in a run animation, and seen enemies (or even my own shadow on a wall) stuck in T-poses. And in the few important story moments you do get to see your own character model, I rarely had hair for some reason. Again, none of this stopped me from completing any significant quest (though I did have to reload saves in smaller missions a couple times due to bugs hindering progress) or from loving the stories being told, but it was still ridiculous and distracting, dampening a few moments that would otherwise have been powerful.

A day-one patch will arrive after the time of this review, but CDPR has indicated it will focus on stability and performance – which is always good, but frankly those aren’t the issues that’ve been bothering me the most. To be fair, with its exceptional support of The Witcher 3, CDPR has absolutely earned a lot of faith that it will stick with Cyberpunk 2077 and continue to patch out these problems. But especially with that in mind, this does feel very much like a game that will be significantly more polished if you play six months or a year from now than it is today.

Just to restate, a word of warning: we haven’t been able to play the console versions of Cyberpunk 2077 at all – not on the new-gen systems or the old. While I’d wholeheartedly recommend it on its gameplay merits, given the performance issues I’ve seen even with a high-end PC GPU, I am wary of what it’ll look like running on something like a launch Xbox One or PlayStation 4. If that’s where you intend to play, I recommend waiting until we can provide you with some gameplay footage from those systems before you make your decision.

That reviewer just liked the game that was there enough and didn't run into any game breaking bugs, just annoyances that didn't deter what they liked about it. Also It's an individual reviewer's score, NMS was reviewed by another reviewer, who might have different tolerances and opinions.

I generally think this comes down to review scores being loving worthless for Video games but that's a whole other argument.

They aren't some spineless coward or whatever nonsense he called them, just a person who liked a loving video game, despite some bugs and still told people about the bugs and that they should hold off on playing it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

There are problems in the game aside from t-posing, like police AI, the police spawning system, driving not being fun at all, and a bunch of the skills are crunchy rpg padding (3% more pistol damage per level?) or bad (the crafting perk that automatically disassembles everything), and there is definitely a discussion to be had about the story, setting, and characters

It's unfair to lay decades of gamer grudges at the feet of the author, and I am acknowledging that the current system sucks rear end, but this is a case study in the product of that system, which has been gamed by the developer and credulously reviewed by the entire IGN apparatus

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There is a lot wrong with games journalism for sure but it's generally not the games journalists who are the part that's wrong with it. So yeah, for a sports writer, whose field for some reason is more respected and treated like serious news and have some freedom to be critical of what they cover (at least away from ESPN) then yeah, it's punching down to attack the writers.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Burneko got ripped in the comments, including by one of the people he literally links to and a former Gawker Media colleague. It's classic Gawker/Deadspin at its worst. Supercilious, ignorant, and totally immune to being told such.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rick posted:

There is a lot wrong with games journalism for sure but it's generally not the games journalists who are the part that's wrong with it. So yeah, for a sports writer, whose field for some reason is more respected and treated like serious news and have some freedom to be critical of what they cover (at least away from ESPN) then yeah, it's punching down to attack the writers.

Yeah this is where I’m at. Are games journalists mouthpieces to the companies? Yeah. Are sports journalists different? Not really?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah this is where I’m at. Are games journalists mouthpieces to the companies? Yeah. Are sports journalists different? Not really?

see, even in this case for Cyberpunk, I don't think "journalists are mouthpieces to the companies" is really fair. The equivalent to an NDA and getting the game early is being in the press box or locker rooms afterwards. If you're a hardcore devotee, yes, those things can "cause bias," but for 95% of the time they're things that just let the writers get their loving jobs done. The writers agree to those things because their websites want to run reviews right away because most of the page traffic and interest is the week any big game is released, and this allows them to get the game and play it for review and critical thought at that time.

now, the interesting part is hearing from experienced hands about how this time with Cyberpunk was very strange. Vice's Waypoint podcast had an interesting discussion of this - instead of getting the review access through the channel the writers expected, they received emails direct from the developer (not their PR company in the middle) about getting access for PC only. And then they had a tight window to play the game and generate thoughts and content. Apparently it was a smaller group of people in the games media receiving that access as well.

so what does that exclusive access get you? reviews noting how buggy the game is, articles about the game causing issues in people prone to seizures, and - my personal favorite - as soon as the embargo drops, Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann saying "THEY SHOULD HAVE DELAYED THE GAME MORE!"

I agree with a lot of the thoughts in the article's comments section and here - there are complaints to be made about this system, about reviews in games and how companies pin them to bonuses, a whole lot of lovely things. but members of the press signing NDAs and/or having embargoes to get a game early? That's not the issue.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

My issue with the material circumstances around video game reviews & associated journalism is that they are structured like movie reviews & associated journalism, despite movies making money by requiring you to physically move your fleshbag into a giant dark room with a velvet seat and spend two hours in comfort sipping soda and eating popcorn, while all a video game has to do is plop it over like a box of crackers and let you experience it yourself.

If every video game was crafted to have a bespoke luxury experience rather than being literally the only furniture in a bachelor apartment, people would be way more forgiving of the experience and therefore the way the journalists write about them.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

In the spirit of Deadspin/Gawker it's also a blog they really didn't need when Luis had already published some good stuff on Cyberpunk.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The kind of funny thing is I don't think albert ever wrote about video games or seemed to show any interest in them back in the gawker days, he just felt like he needed to make some big blustery shoot-from-the-hip post about Journalism These Days

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Never forget the greatest Albert Burneko hit of all time:

https://adequateman.deadspin.com/i-killed-my-own-book-proposal-by-blogging-about-a-sad-f-1785045960

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao i forgot about him having a history of shooting himself in the foot

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I appreciate that burneko apparently wants more writers to be like manish mehta

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Deadspin used to poo poo on beat reporters for acting like tools all the time. I don't think Defector has yet, except for Manish Mehta, and that was totally different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Magary also made a dickish tweet about this stuff yesterday.

Like I get that this is Defector being Defector but they really need to take a step back in cases like this and allow for criticism of their work. When loving Jason Schreier says you made a mistake on this one maybe you should listen.