Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

i'm buying a 4k tv tomorrow and rewatching the poo poo out of episodes 1-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Holy gently caress. So Wes mentioned on the podcast that the flyover establishing shot of Baltimore down to the ground and following Amos was done with a helicopter and a crane, and he wasn't kidding. It's all loving practical:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI8_g3wDhPs/

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

404notfound posted:

Holy gently caress. So Wes mentioned on the podcast that the flyover establishing shot of Baltimore down to the ground and following Amos was done with a helicopter and a crane, and he wasn't kidding. It's all loving practical:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI8_g3wDhPs/

You would think a drone would be easier to use

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How did they transfer the camera to the crane?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cojawfee posted:

very carefully

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mae posted:

You would think a drone would be easier to use

Might not be able to get enough lift / stability for a good quality camera. Movie cameras are really heavy for a drone.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Cojawfee posted:

they asked her to carry it in her beak, duh

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
So what are the Simpsons references in past seasons?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

In the first season it's one of the OPA faction names. I don't know the 2/3/4 references other than that they exist.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Amos tells someone to shut their word hole at one point. Wiggum said that once.

And yea i figured that the Aliens were left as a big mystery. This is not a show about crazy aliens, but about people.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The real expanse wasn’t in outer space but down here, between our hearts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Look at these goof ball idiots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAw4nB2FAlo

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I guess Clarissa Mao will have a big role this season if the actor is there

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

pixaal posted:

Might not be able to get enough lift / stability for a good quality camera. Movie cameras are really heavy for a drone.

Real drones are huge. Like the size of a car. They have no problems lifting camera equipment.

Military ones are even bigger: a predator is bigger than a Cessna. :stare:

This feels like a production flex. :hai:

I know shows manufacture authenticity, but I've never believed it so much as with this cast and crew. :allears:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I guess Clarissa Mao will have a big role this season if the actor is there

You've read the books, you tell us.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hah, the bit where they try some actual astronaut food and it's disgusting. :D

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Open Source Idiom posted:

You've read the books, you tell us.

Thinking of someone else? I only read fanfic.

Also that freeze dried ice cream is delicious if you're a kid.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Hah, the bit where they try some actual astronaut food and it's disgusting. :D

Oh god, Wes and Frankie just taking pulls from the tequila

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Real drones are huge. Like the size of a car. They have no problems lifting camera equipment.

Military ones are even bigger: a predator is bigger than a Cessna. :stare:

This feels like a production flex. :hai:

I don't expect a TV crew to get permission to fly something the size of a car or light airplane down between city blocks and into the middle of a crowd, then keep hovering along at ground-level.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Slashrat posted:

I don't expect a TV crew to get permission to fly something the size of a car or light airplane down between city blocks and into the middle of a crowd, then keep hovering along at ground-level.

Yeah, they don't need something that large to get proper video footage. A full bore DSLR weighs about a kilogram. There are consumer grade drones that can carry that.

The professional end of camera drones *starts* at $5000 USD with things like the DJI Matrice.

Stickyboi
Dec 25, 2005

permanent adhesive
I finally read The Churn and that was a great short read. Better understanding of the characterisations of Lydia and Erich, and the "any relation to that Amos Burton?" comment on the moon etc.

The part with Lydia and Timmy having sex was cute until I realised I was picturing Wes Chatham instead of 16 year old Timmy, then it seemed too weird... but then I remembered that sex workers actually have lesbian sex with each other all the time, and that kind of made sense.

And I got bummed out when she knew it was the last time she'd see Timmy - seeing that they never spoke to each other again. He was her puppy before Naomi showed up!

Wish they'd put in some Bawlmer accent in the episode though. I've been missing it ever since I watched through all of Homicide this year.

veni veni veni posted:

I don't disagree that he seems like a poo poo, but isn't this exactly what he did? He said "I will tell my father of your heroism" or something which seems like pretty much the same thing.
I think if I was about to blow up I'd rather my last moments to feel like people gave a poo poo about me and were coming to help, even if it was a lie.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Surely car sized drones are all the plane type, not the hovering quadcopter type right?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I know shows manufacture authenticity, but I've never believed it so much as with this cast and crew. :allears:

I don't know about the dudes but the women in the cast are all really good friends. IIRC Dominique Tipper was part of Cara Gee' wedding.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I remember getting some when my parents took me to Cape Canaveral and it was awesome. I got some freeze dry ice cream and a tshirt about the ISS being complete in 2000 lol

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
Man, binged the first three eps and looks like it is going to be another fun season. Only a couple cases of 'clunky exposition dialogue', in general pretty solid writing and threads getting set up.

Really got to tip the hat to the production values. Sets and effects are freakin' amazing, pretty seamless and cinematic in quality.

<edit>

My only minor fan nerd gripe would be that on Tycho station it would be cool to see some of the other familiar parts of Tycho station we saw in S1/S2/S3. The Ops room, for instance. I guess that set was scrapped. Fred's new office is cool, but I'd assume that ops chamber is still there.

gfarrell80 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 19, 2020

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Gonna make me some coffee mugs.

The mug itself is on Amazon.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

M Corn

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

How do those cups keep the coffee in in 0g anyway but you can still sip from them like from a normal cup?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

How do those cups keep the coffee in in 0g anyway but you can still sip from them like from a normal cup?

They have a lid to keep em in, I assume you have a little valve in the top that you can suck through. The coffee will just float around in a blob thanks to surface tension, so even when you get low you can probably just shake it around and get it to the hole.

It also explains why Holden slurps it very noisily, while the captain of the Donnager is clearly more skilled at using those cups and can sip it gently.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Carbon dioxide posted:

I always assumed there was a lid on it

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

just shake it around and get it to the hole.

:mods:

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Stickyboi posted:

Wish they'd put in some Bawlmer accent in the episode though. I've been missing it ever since I watched through all of Homicide this year.

The actor that played Lydia's partner also played Baltimore Chief of Police in The Wire. Fred Johnson's actor is also in it.

If you havent seen it yet, go watch it for some heavy Ballmer accents.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mu Zeta posted:

It's still good. :colbert:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I had my mind blown when someone pointed out to me that Chad Coleman, who plays Fred Johnson (and, as mentioned above, Cutty in The Wire), also plays Z in IASIP - Frank's drug dealer/generally menacing friend.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

He's also Klyden in The Orville.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Stickyboi posted:

I finally read The Churn and that was a great short read. Better understanding of the characterisations of Lydia and Erich, and the "any relation to that Amos Burton?" comment on the moon etc.

The part with Lydia and Timmy having sex was cute until I realised I was picturing Wes Chatham instead of 16 year old Timmy, then it seemed too weird... but then I remembered that sex workers actually have lesbian sex with each other all the time, and that kind of made sense.

And I got bummed out when she knew it was the last time she'd see Timmy - seeing that they never spoke to each other again. He was her puppy before Naomi showed up!

You're not supposed to empathize with the pedophile and I'm not sure why you're connecting sex with a minor with lesbianism

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Grand Fromage posted:

It's still good. :colbert:

It took me years, after moving away from Florida, to realize that everywhere else they call "Astronaut Icecream" just "Camping Icecream" and keep it with the outdoors supplies...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Grand Fromage posted:

He's also Klyden in The Orville.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

T-man posted:

You're not supposed to empathize with the pedophile and I'm not sure why you're connecting sex with a minor with lesbianism

Yeah I'm glad it wasn't just me who read that post that way, wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
The ending Skyline shot of Ep 2 incorporated at least a few 21st century features from the Baltimore skyline, so I was quite happy to see that.