Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Gunbreaker would make a lot of sense going into the gently caress Garlemald expansion. I'm only hesitant because there's already been so much gunbreaker focus in ShB with Thancred around that I don't know if they'd double dip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Probably won't happen, but if they do buck the melee trend, I think it'd be kinda cool to see the cutscene WoL as a Machinist.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Also cutscene WoL first appeared as an archer so I wouldn't say non-melee jobs are off the table

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah but they don't even attack with the bow in the Shadowbringers trailer :mad:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I can't put my finger on why, but Black Mage feels likely.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Eox posted:

I can't put my finger on why, but Black Mage feels likely.

Maybe but given the thematic and/or location-based choices of the jobs so far (aside from archer/warrior which I think is just before they had the idea) I'm not sure what BLM could have to do with what's coming up

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I can see MCH with the WOL running around and setting up bombs guerrilla style.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
why is everyone skipping over the only other melee dps left lol. ninja

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

erenoyo posted:

why is everyone skipping over the only other melee dps left lol. ninja

Too interesting. A bunch of Cool Ninja Tricks would be too distractingly cool for an expansion that doesn't largely revolve around a setting that would actually make use of those Cool Ninja Tricks, and they want the spotlight for an expansion reveal to be on the actual expansion.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Garlean military does have ninjas in it...

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I can see ninja if the primary premise is that we're infiltrating garlemald rather than charging in, but the thing is there has been two expansions of direct frontline fighting now, and all the infiltration has been left up to other characters

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yuguri has been in a trailer, nobody from Skysteel has.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

has WoL ever been a dancer? i can't remember seeing a dancer other than Lyna

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Dancer was featured in the ShB cinematic so I don't think it will be redone (same with GNB).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Assuming (minor spoilers from late Heavensward through the latest patch) the Moon is part of the expansion for reasons of being Zodiark's prison and for all the teases of Elidibus standing around on it and because the towers seem to be pointed that way and Lunar Bahamut, there's a very easy FF4 reference to make having Cutscene Derplander job change from Dark Knight to Paladin :v:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

as a white mage it seems kind of insensitive for me to show up to a realm ravaged by an excess of light and be blasting everything with pure light

edit: does anyone ahve any advice on black mage? i get the basic principle of keeping enochian up so i can cast foul and get damage bonuses, but i don't know the correct ratio of fire : fire 3 : fire 4 and blizzard : blizzard 3 : blizzard 4

i'm not sure if i should be spamming fire 3 to keep up astral fire, and dropping in fire 4 when i can, or if i should be hitting fire 1 to get free fire 3 procs

it's difficult to figure out what is optimal and when to use my triplecast / sharpcast / swiftcasts, and learning in dungeons isnt super possible because everything becomes a nightmare hell at the levels where you don't have enochian. i did keeper of the lake and did the worst dps of my life because I just couldn't cast anything at all without being interrupted or having to move.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 19, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You only use Fire 3 when you have proc. Spam F4 and use F1 to keep AF up.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

juggalo baby coffin posted:

as a white mage it seems kind of insensitive for me to show up to a realm ravaged by an excess of light and be blasting everything with pure light

there's no sense of spite, it's to their delight, you can unite with the finite might of your white light just right

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Only use F3 on proc, your opener, and to transition to astral fire.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

edit: does anyone ahve any advice on black mage? i get the basic principle of keeping enochian up so i can cast foul and get damage bonuses, but i don't know the correct ratio of fire : fire 3 : fire 4 and blizzard : blizzard 3 : blizzard 4

i'm not sure if i should be spamming fire 3 to keep up astral fire, and dropping in fire 4 when i can, or if i should be hitting fire 1 to get free fire 3 procs

it's difficult to figure out what is optimal and when to use my triplecast / sharpcast / swiftcasts, and learning in dungeons isnt super possible because everything becomes a nightmare hell at the levels where you don't have enochian. i did keeper of the lake and did the worst dps of my life because I just couldn't cast anything at all without being interrupted or having to move.

Fire 3 is only used when you have a proc, or when transitioning from Umbral Ice to Astral Fire. Fire 4 is your main spam, and Fire 1 is used to keep Astral Fire going.

Use sharpcast whenever you're going to use fire 1 or thunder just to get a proc. Triplecast / swiftcast are good movement tools, as is Firestarter and Thunder procs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Not like you're gonna make it any worse.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I finally got around to those Dark Knight quests. Up to lvl 45, and drat it if I am not invested. The whole Tyler Durden thing can be easily guessed if you know that twist, but Tyler Durden as Your Festering Resentment Towards Heroism In Spite Of Yourself? That is good poo poo.

The bad news is that I want to get to the lvl 50 quest, but I am fresh out of rested XP, the only dungeons are Dzemael Darkhold and Aurum Vale (Though, granted, the latter is not as terrible as the former), and quite frankly I am getting sick of doing rotation while popping off a darkness move whenever I have the MP for it. Does the DRK rotation get better?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
DRK is always a basic 1-2-3 rotation, but you get a few ogcds, and a fel cleave like ability off your secondary resource. tBN, even though a defensive ability, is fun.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Unlucky7 posted:

So I finally got around to those Dark Knight quests. Up to lvl 45, and drat it if I am not invested. The whole Tyler Durden thing can be easily guessed if you know that twist, but Tyler Durden as Your Festering Resentment Towards Heroism In Spite Of Yourself? That is good poo poo.

The bad news is that I want to get to the lvl 50 quest, but I am fresh out of rested XP, the only dungeons are Dzemael Darkhold and Aurum Vale (Though, granted, the latter is not as terrible as the former), and quite frankly I am getting sick of doing rotation while popping off a darkness move whenever I have the MP for it. Does the DRK rotation get better?

It stays pretty boring, you just get more oGCDs with different resources as you gain levels. I was trying to level it a couple months ago, but ended up switching to warrior and enjoying that a lot more.

Turns out I am not tired of being nice, but I do want to go apeshit.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Black mage basic guide:

-always have Enochian up as much as possible. if it is in danger of falling off, either cast Fire I, Blizzard III, or transpose/umbral soul.
-Your goal in your Astral Fire phase is to cast six fire IVs at maximum AF stacks. Best way to do this: Enter Astral Fire by casting Fire III once, cast three FIVs, cast Fire I to refresh Astral Fire, then cast three more FIVs. This should leave you with at least 800 MP, which is the minimum for casting Flare or Despair.
-You want to spend as little time in your Umbral Ice phase as possible. ideally you should enter it by casting Blizzard III, cast Blizzard IV once, maybe cast Thunder III if its not up, and then cast Fire III to go into Astral Fire.
-You want to cast one Blizzard IV per UI phase, because BIV gives you max (3) stacks of Umbral Heart, which are spent in Astral Fire phase to reduce the cost of fire spells, which lets you cast all six Fire IVs.
-If Enochian falls off and is on cooldown, spam Fire I. FIII takes too long and thus does less damage overall.
-Always keep thunder up on your target.

the black mage single target rotation at 80 follows the basic pattern of Blizzard 3, Blizzard 4, Thunder 3, Fire 3, Fire 4 x3, Fire 1, Fire 4 x3, Despair, repeat from top. Make use of Convert as necessary to fit extra fire 4s in.

AoE: a pain in the rear end because it changes like every 8 levels. General practice at 80 is Freeze, Thunder IV, Fire III, Flare, flare, (Foul if you want to,) repeat. If you have convert up or an ether that gives at least 800 mana, you can cast up to four flares back to back at full power.

Polyglot pips: you get two of them at 80. Foul is an AoE with a cast time, Xenoglossy is a single target nuke without one. General practice is to only spend them if you're going to overcap, though Xenoglossy is useful for DPS on the run if Swift and Triplecast are on cooldown.

As far as sharp, swift and triplecast go, those are basically movement aids. Sharpcast is usually used to guarantee a thundercloud proc to speed up your rotation, swiftcast is used as an "oh poo poo" movement button, and triplecast is usually thrown in to speed up your rotation at critical moments.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

thanks very much for all the advice on black mage, its very helpful, i was spamming fire 3 way too much i guess. i find it hard to play it down to the wire with the astral/umbral timer cause i'm in the EU playing on US so half the time i start a cast at 3 seconds left on the timer and enochian drops off even though I should have caught it

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i haven't played with that much latency so i can't say that this will help but: it may be worth considering prioritizing your sharpcasts for fire 1 so you have a firestarter on deck more often to give you leeway to cast all your IVs/despair before the timer drops.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

:toot: e9s down

The platforms phase is one of the coolest raid mechanics I've seen in this game.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Triple/swift both get used in the opener but after it comes back up you should generally hold them for movement unless you know you won't need it for that (like if a phase change cutscene is coming up).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Triple/swift both get used in the opener but after it comes back up you should generally hold them for movement unless you know you won't need it for that (like if a phase change cutscene is coming up).

They're a dps boost because they cut the long cast time of Fire 4, and also allow you to weave OGCDs, so you shouldn't hold on to them for very long. 60s is a fairly short cooldown anyway. Rather than holding on to them for when you need them for movement, I'd say it's better to plan your movement around when they'll be available, and use your other instant casts (Fire 3, Thunder) for unplanned movement.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Unlucky7 posted:

Waiting until tomorrow to refresh your roulettes is the sanest option, but if you want to dungeon spam I recommend Stone Vigil, which will still give decent XP at your level and, unlike DD and AV, doesn't feel like stabbing yourself in the eye repeatedly.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Ok, since ShB rehashed a lot of FF8 stuff, I need the next expac to rework some 10 stuff and I desperately need a remix of Otherworld :unsmigghh:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

hazardousmouse posted:

Ok, since ShB rehashed a lot of FF8 stuff, I need the next expac to rework some 10 stuff and I desperately need a remix of Otherworld :unsmigghh:
I retain my deep hope: We have an otherwise normal, perhaps even somewhat boring, battle - ideally against Zenos but against whoever really - and when things reach a point where we expect the routine climax: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5JZNzSwEJY

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I now understand, I think, all of the phases of learning and doing high-end content through Emerald Weapon.

1. "Oh hey, this seems fun."
2. "What even killed me that time?"
3. "Okay I've mostly got it, but this one mechanic keeps getting me."
4. "I understand it, but it still kills me, I'm not sure how to fix it, and I feel miserable for every failure because I think it's my fault for loving up that one mechanic."
5. "gently caress YEAH IT'S DEAD--damnit, I can't use that drop."
6. "Okay, now to do it again, I've succeeded before so I know I can do it."
7. "I've overcome that one painful mechanic, I am now unstoppable, that weapon is mine!"
8. "GOD DAMNIT HOW ARE ALL OF YOU THIS STUPID, I UNDERSTAND ALL THIS, SO SHOULD YOU, WHY MUST I SUFFER WHILE ALL OF YOU FLOUNDER AND YOU GET REWARDS WHILE I DON'T"
9. The theoretical zen-like state that I assume all mount hunters must be in, but I have never experienced

I am currently at 8.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
There is no zen-state, only exhaustion

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
8 is the stage that keeps me out of EX / savage because it's one of the main reasons I can't face WoW any more and I don't want to do that to a game where I actually like the story.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Teratrain posted:

8 is the stage that keeps me out of EX / savage because it's one of the main reasons I can't face WoW any more and I don't want to do that to a game where I actually like the story.

I wish that ex roulette's incessant need to give me Heroes' Gauntlet with parties of imbeciles didn't keep me at a constant 8 even when not doing hard content.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I don't farm the roulettes religiously enough for that to bother me, but I've never really had a problem in Ex roulette, especially given that the two dungeons in at the moment are super easy. :shobon:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i noticed a raid series had the same name as a final fantasy 8 guardian force (who had a like 5 fuckin minute long intro) and i wondered if it was the same, then i see someone fly by me in idyllshire clinging to the rear end-spike of said guardian force.

the main spoilers i have experienced in this game have been people's mounts and clothing sets on the mogstation store. 'oh x hasn't worn their x outfit yet so they must survive this instance of mortal peril'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

i noticed a raid series had the same name as a final fantasy 8 guardian force (who had a like 5 fuckin minute long intro) and i wondered if it was the same, then i see someone fly by me in idyllshire clinging to the rear end-spike of said guardian force.

the main spoilers i have experienced in this game have been people's mounts and clothing sets on the mogstation store. 'oh x hasn't worn their x outfit yet so they must survive this instance of mortal peril'.

Yeah, there are certain minions that are kind of spoiler-y, as well. As thematically appropriate as it is for me to be doing so in HW, whenever I return to the ARR areas I'm probably spoiling people who are pre-2.5 by running around with my Midgardsormr minion out all the time, for example.