Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I'm looking forward to lunar new year when CIG reveals that the turtle people also celebrate their new year's then! Complete with naming the years after animals- fingers crossed next year is gonna be the year of the space whale.

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

coincidentally, the term "beat" never shows up even once in the Banu entry on the Star Citizen Wiki. However, it does mention multiple times that the Banu don't give a poo poo about history and pretty much forget anything except technical knowledge immediately:

You know, exactly the kind of stuff that totally jives with having an annual holiday about gift giving.

Not to mention how well it matches up with the Banu with being all about trading. The smartest, most capable traders are the ones who don't remember anything they've done before! If they get ripped off one day, tomorrow they'll happily get ripped off again, the same way, by the same person! BUY AN IDRIS!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Galactapedia Update | December 16, 2020 posted:

Happy Wednesday!

We've recently added the following articles to Galactapedia, and we can't wait for you to check them out. This is also the place to discuss what was added this week, or to tell us what future entries you'd like to see.

Coramor - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/galactapedia/article/RWozkYYxla-coramor

quote:

Did Yuri find a jump point to Oretani? Did he crash his ship? Was Cora looking for him, too? The mystery has yet to be solved.

Universal Body Armor - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/galactapedia/article/R4jvOo8qoq-universal-body-armor

UltiFlex - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/galactapedia/article/RWozkYmQLP-ultiflex

quote:

Similar to how Xerox and Kleenex have become synonymous with copiers and tissues, so UltiFlex has become synonymous with its knife.

Virgil Ltd - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/galactapedia/article/0qakL3DmJ5-virgil-ltd

Verified Offworld Laser Technologies (VOLT) - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/galactapedia/article/0qakL3YD1W-verified-offworld-laser-technologies-volt

quote:

VOLT makes weapons that are probably fine to use.

Scythe - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/galactapedia/article/0qakL3mmmq-scythe

Glaive - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/galactapedia/article/bo1dozJpB2-glaive

Blade - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/galactapedia/article/RegdeBENkw-blade

Void - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/galactapedia/article/RWozkp8l82-void

Harvester - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/galactapedia/article/0n1MYzOkG7-harvester

quote:

Harvesters often vary in build.

Feel free to drop your questions & comments about this week's entries in the comments below. This is the final update of 2020. The next update will be posted in January 2021. Thanks so much for a great year. :slightly_smiling_face:

As always, thanks for reading. We'll see ya in the 'verse!

-Cherie or if not Cherie then the name of whoever is posting this

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

phosdex posted:

online sooner than expected? wasn't it expected years beats ago?

Yeah it was supposed to come round about middle of 2020 at least

Now hoping for Q2 2021...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

coincidentally, the term "beat" never shows up even once in the Banu entry on the Star Citizen Wiki. However, it does mention multiple times that the Banu don't give a poo poo about history and pretty much forget anything except technical knowledge immediately:

You know, exactly the kind of stuff that totally jives with having an annual holiday about gift giving.

:lol:

I don't read any of their lore stuff, but for those that do, you figure they could get it right. This is literally the only part of Star Citizen that can work correctly.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

online sooner than expected? wasn't it expected years beats ago?
[/quote]

All the new backers are obligated... forced really... to forget the old backers who may be salty over this stuff.

Old backers may want stuff like the ships they bought 5 years ago and the promised gameplay.

New backers have to realize Development Started When I Backed it, which can be a variable time but is usually sooner than the old guard who may have left or are belly aching for CIG to do something besides make ships.

Since the new people just want ships, it's a miracle how that manages to work out for them.

By the time the people buying in today start to wise up, there will be a new breed telling them to sit down and shut the gently caress up and how they don't understand game development.

The sad part about this cycle is that in order for it to actually work and be a cycle you have to lie to a lot of people and keep the lights on for a very long time, long enough for people who are misguided by your flashy movies and lack of actual substance to overpower the old people tired of the same old poo poo.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Sounds like humanity in the Star Citizen future is super easy to throw away their own traditions in favor of stupid alien ones.

Starting to side with the vandals and want humanity in this timeline wiped out also.

Operation Un-Pitchfork?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

The Titanic posted:

All the new backers are obligated... forced really... to forget the old backers who may be salty over this stuff.

Old backers may want stuff like the ships they bought 5 years ago and the promised gameplay.

New backers have to realize Development Started When I Backed it, which can be a variable time but is usually sooner than the old guard who may have left or are belly aching for CIG to do something besides make ships.

Since the new people just want ships, it's a miracle how that manages to work out for them.

By the time the people buying in today start to wise up, there will be a new breed telling them to sit down and shut the gently caress up and how they don't understand game development.

The sad part about this cycle is that in order for it to actually work and be a cycle you have to lie to a lot of people and keep the lights on for a very long time, long enough for people who are misguided by your flashy movies and lack of actual substance to overpower the old people tired of the same old poo poo.

if you hate star citizen so much why do you keep posting in this thread?

Alot
Oct 21, 2020

Thoatse posted:

Theaters Of Wat

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Development isn't really taking that long, your years-to-beats conversion is just off.

Early days beats.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
holy cow, is it just me or have the prices on cosmetics really gone up?!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPJA54sWAec

I worked up the courage to click, and good grief this trailer is terrible. I don't know if it was the accents or what, but I literally could not understand what words the characters were saying until halfway through the trailer.

Is CIG just loving with us, and this is actually just unused footage from Mass Effect: Andromeda?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

cmdrk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPJA54sWAec

I worked up the courage to click, and good grief this trailer is terrible. I don't know if it was the accents or what, but I literally could not understand what words the characters were saying until halfway through the trailer.

Is CIG just loving with us, and this is actually just unused footage from Mass Effect: Andromeda?

Wow that's a real slick and pretty movie they made, where absolutely nothing works in this video game

Guess someone has been super busy mo-capping this entire year!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Last King posted:

Not just that but every ship skin is now an individual item for sale, a thing they said early on they would not do. They've just waltzed right across boundary after boundary

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
So if the Death of the Spaceman ever gets implemented, will the players lose their $30 to $60 loadouts every time they clip through the game world and have to buy them again?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

His lover’s name was Corazon you guys! You get it? Corazon! Her name! It was Corazon!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
wrong thread

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Last King posted:

If you knew anything at all about the economy you would know that prices always go up.

Feindfeuer posted:

So if the Death of the Spaceman ever gets implemented, will the players lose their $30 to $60 loadouts every time they clip through the game world and have to buy them again?

No they lose their character and all their reputation advancements and have to pay an inheritance tax to have another character receive their property.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

drat, I don't hate this. Reminds me of a mechanical mutalisk or some poo poo.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
At this point it's more like...

Star Citizen - Theaters of Lore

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Abongination posted:

Frankenstein bong

I thought it was an artillery cannon with balls.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

It'll be fun over the next year to watch the collective stroke Citizens have as CP77 gets improved and eventually fixed with each successive patch release. Bonus points if they manage to also add back in some of the features that got cut.

That's the thing about Star Citizen - it's really, really bad practice to compare it to actual games made by actual developers, because you do not want to invite that comparison. Sure, here's this "other" game that released in a bad state, but that's a very temporary victory. Once the CP77 patches start rolling in, the capability of CIG's developers compared to actual game developers will once again be cast into sharp relief. Star Citizen will always be the same piece of poo poo it is today, no matter how much they patch.

To be fair, maybe on PC, but I do not think there is going to be a quick and dirty patching of the current gen consoles version of the game. That is major shite.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Last King posted:

I'm guessing this one is concierge only

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Reddit fixed the Talon promo images

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

* Elevator panels disappeared when I approached to try and click them.

I discovered if you hold F and walk up to it, the panel doesn't disappear.

Sarsapariller posted:

* When I got to the first "Prove yourself" mission the bounty just straight up wouldn't spawn. I exited and re-entered and forgot that puts you back at a station. First ship lost, claim time: 30 minutes. Oh, and the cockpit was constantly opening and closing on me as I flew around too, so that bug still isn't fixed.

The backend servers are so hosed this patch that it can take 2-5 minutes for the bounty NPC to spawn. If you were just a little more patient... lol

Sarsapariller posted:

* I took a third "Prove Yourself" mission and this time it wanted me to go all the way across the system in another direction, this time to Port Olisar. All I had left was a Cutlass which could make the trip, so I spooled up to launch. Didn't work- the old spool-but-not-really bug was back in full force. I powered off, powered on, got out of the pilot's seat, got back in, got out again- and then the game glitched and animated the pilot's seat like I'd gotten back into it, but I hadn't. The pilot seat became non-interactive and I was stuck in space, unable to get back in and pilot my ship.

In 3.12, one of the big things with the bounty missions is that there are independent bounty hunter factions. Read the mission description to find out who the bounty certification is for. Crusader bounties are around Crusader / Port Olisar. I mainly stick around the Hurston area since it has the best NPC bounties.

Sarsapariller posted:

* Came back and took the mission a fourth time. I should point out here that the "Prove yourself" mission now costs money to take. It's like 500uec so who cares, but I was literally losing money every time the game broke. I'm betting each higher tier will cost more and unlock better bounties or something but anyway gently caress that.

You are correct. The next tier up is 1000 aUEC. I haven't been able to get higher though as everything is so unstable this patch so I stopped trying to play.

Sarsapariller posted:

By now all my ships had reset, so I took my fighter, flew the gas-station-frequent-stop route to reach the bounty, and arrived on target. This one, apparently, was a player? I don't know if I took the wrong mission or what the gently caress.

Yep. Player bounties are a separate certification now. The mission text kinda explains it but also not really. If you have experience with the game you would realize the mission text is telling you to hunt other players, but it can easily be mistaken.

This whole patch is a shitshow. CIG made insurance times crazy long and released a super unstable patch to the live servers. The player base is very disgruntled right now.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Last King posted:

:lol: at the helmet for 4.76 standalone, but 0.59 when it's sold along the armor. Nice marketing basics, CI!

Pixelate posted:

Is... is that a gun penis?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Yeah it’s been happening for a while. Gun gets stuck to your feet, then when you sit down, this...

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Or a turd mid-flight.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
No, that's clearly a gun smuggler plying his trade. Prison inmates got to get their dope and getaway guns somehow.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Pixelate posted:

Sitting on the space toilet, lust on his mind.

Anything could happen.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
loving :lol:

:reddit: So I asked an artificial intelligence the obvious question: What it thinks about Star Citizen. I was not amused and felt bamboozled.

quote:

I was just selected to take part in a closed beta to test Open AI, one of the most advanced artificial intelligences currently in development. After I had toyed around with it a little I asked the question we'd all like to know: What does it think about Star Citizen.

I'd like to mention that these were the actual results, none of that was scripted or re-written. I had a couple of attempts to get the AI on the right track actually talking about Star Citizen but that's it.

Open AI: https://beta.openai.com/

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 19, 2020

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

:lol: at the helmet for 4.76 standalone, but 0.59 when it's sold along the armor. Nice marketing basics, CI!

The idea of that sort of pricing is to make people who want just the helmet - or just the armor - hesitate and consider buying both. You wouldn't want to miss out on a bargain, would you...?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
It blows my mind that gamers are actually willing to turn sour on CDPR after all this hype yet Star Citizen endures.

Star Citizen is the Donald Trump of video games: the uselessness is stupendously obvious, yet the base swallows it whole.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

BigglesSWE posted:

It blows my mind that gamers are actually willing to turn sour on CDPR after all this hype yet Star Citizen endures.

Star Citizen is the Donald Trump of video games: the uselessness is stupendously obvious, yet the base swallows it whole.

reddit posted:

The thing that pushed me over the edge into being a backer, was the fact the game will never be finished. I guess this is a loaded phrase which to the haters, means never released. But to me, it means they'll always be adding more alien races, planets, ships, fish tanks, etc... There's always going to be something new to see. Just like EVE Online. That game is never finished, and it's been in development for 15 years now. If you want a complete game, look up Super Mario. Personally, I need something more complex than that to be entertained.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah, it's a lot like how there are still dudes trying to get money out of betting sites because "Donald Trump didn't lose the election". As long as the game is never released, or Trump isn't made to leave the White House, they don't need to confront the reality that they've been fooled by an extremely obvious lie.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Pixelate posted:

loving :lol:

:reddit: So I asked an artificial intelligence the obvious question: What it thinks about Star Citizen. I was not amused and felt bamboozled.

I am not really surprised that machine intelligence is smarter than average backer. But how does it compare to Bartender AI?

And it's supposedly developed as friendly AI that should benefit humanity. But backers just won't listen.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
This is why SC won't really benefit from state of the art AI for its NPCs.

They will start telling players that the project is a scam and has been a scam since early days.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Pixelate posted:

The thing that pushed me over the edge into being a backer, was the fact the game will never be finished. I guess this is a loaded phrase which to the haters, means never released. But to me, it means they'll always be adding more alien races, planets, ships, fish tanks, etc... There's always going to be something new to see. Just like EVE Online. That game is never finished, and it's been in development for 15 years now. If you want a complete game, look up Super Mario. Personally, I need something more complex than that to be entertained.

what incredible mental gymnastics. "the haters are saying words that are correct, but are actually GOOD, because the words mean something DIFFERENT!"

it's the old "um i think you meant palate, not palette! checkmate, statist!" argument tactic applied to something totally unambiguius.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

His lover’s name was Corazon you guys! You get it? Corazon! Her name! It was Corazon!

Yeah, I think we deserve compensation for being mentally injured by this sub-garbage-tier writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Muscle Tracer posted:

what incredible mental gymnastics. "the haters are saying words that are correct, but are actually GOOD, because the words mean something DIFFERENT!"

Citizenland has Olympic tier mental gymnastics

Everything else is tier zero unfortunately