Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

adventure birb!!!!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

well it was going to happen eventually

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Her eyes look bigger somehow, lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Her eyes look bigger somehow, lol

maybe that's how she can climb the loving tree so fast

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Here are some large honk birbs I saw at the lake yesterday:

The white one in the front only got up to hiss at a kid who got too close and then honk and walk away with its friends. :allears:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Guess who is finally eating her veggies and will fly to my hand (if bribed with millet) :kimchi:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kuros posted:

Here are some large honk birbs I saw at the lake yesterday:

The white one in the front only got up to hiss at a kid who got too close and then honk and walk away with its friends. :allears:

good honker!

rear end cobra posted:

Guess who is finally eating her veggies and will fly to my hand (if bribed with millet) :kimchi:

!! yay :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I adore everyone in this thread. Absolutely everyone.

In slightly good news, Serra had her second weekly weigh in today and dropped two more grams. Now she is at 137g down from over 140g, since the beginning of her diet.

My vet wants me to get a month or two of weigh ins before we consider medication. I also weigh her food at the beginning and end of everyday to get a total weight of what she shoved in her mouth. I have learned this nugget of wisdom -

- The hornier/nesty'er Serra gets, the more she eats.

Of her two sisters I've been able to check in, they are both over 120g. There is definitely a genetic component, but her going from 125g to over 140g in a month was absolutely :stare: Especially when she got put on a diet to make her slim DOWN from 125g.

Serra, you are one adorable chonk.

I also got a picture of her today riiiiight when she floof'd out to do a full body shake, but hadn't shook yet. She might be a cartoon.

A fat, chonky cartoon.

:derptiel:

Here she is less than a minute later, as proof she hasn't gained an actual kilo.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Love that fattie borb

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Love that fattie borb

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
These three are always lined up to follow me when I leave their room.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Fingat birb

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

those are four excellent birbs

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mediaphage posted:

those are four excellent birbs

Very Pro Birds, they are.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

My oldest bird, Starr, fell ill yesterday!
After a vet visit she was diagnosed with avian chlamydia and prescribed a course of antibiotics and eye drops.
She’s currently quarantined in the living room and took this opportunity to also lay an egg 2 feet from my face.
The miracle of life. When a nasty swollen bird shoves its cloaca out and goes “eeeenhhhh!!!” in a high pitched voice and lays an egg in your field of vision, when you just wanted to read a book. :gonk:

I’m currently investing in an air filter- my boyfriend is afraid she’ll transmit it to us. (I feel like getting it is a certainty for me, the fool who kissed her bird’s unsightly bulging eye when she was afraid that the bird would pass away. :ohdear:)

The vet said that Starr has a good prognosis as long as she responds to the antibiotic, so I’m relatively calm at this point. I think she’s going to be okay.

Here’s hoping she recovers smoothly and that the other two birds are chlamydia-free!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hug in a Can posted:

My oldest bird, Starr, fell ill yesterday!
After a vet visit she was diagnosed with avian chlamydia and prescribed a course of antibiotics and eye drops.
She’s currently quarantined in the living room and took this opportunity to also lay an egg 2 feet from my face.
The miracle of life. When a nasty swollen bird shoves its cloaca out and goes “eeeenhhhh!!!” in a high pitched voice and lays an egg in your field of vision, when you just wanted to read a book. :gonk:

I’m currently investing in an air filter- my boyfriend is afraid she’ll transmit it to us. (I feel like getting it is a certainty for me, the fool who kissed her bird’s unsightly bulging eye when she was afraid that the bird would pass away. :ohdear:)

The vet said that Starr has a good prognosis as long as she responds to the antibiotic, so I’m relatively calm at this point. I think she’s going to be okay.

Here’s hoping she recovers smoothly and that the other two birds are chlamydia-free!

i'm sorry she's ill but happy she has a good prognosis! hope you don't get bird chlamydia!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

mediaphage posted:

i'm sorry she's ill but happy she has a good prognosis! hope you don't get bird chlamydia!

:eng101: And since it gets brought up here sometimes, a reminder to folks to not sniff your birds or kiss them or lick them, no matter how tempting it is. Psittacosis (avian chlamydia) is endemic among parrots and often lays asymptomatic for long periods of time, which is how it can show up spontaneously like this. It tends to be more severe in humans than in birds.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

We will never not sniff our birds.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i can’t imagine like ever licking a bird. that’s honestly gross. i admit to the occasional nose scritch tho as a bonding technique.

it doesn’t help that sometimes if i’m not careful grace tries to put her beak in my nose. little buggers quick

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

mediaphage posted:

hope you don't get bird chlamydia!

New thread title?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Unsinkabear posted:

New thread title?

Plant MONSTER. posted:

We will never not sniff our birds.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Oh, both of these are great

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I am baffled in the best possible way.

Yellow the Parakeet has never thrived, like I've mentioned. She has spent her entire life being cranky and surviving by letting her mate Blue vomit her food into her. My Dad jokingly calls her, "Hate Bird," but it's not that far from the truth. She's also had two health events, I suspect strokes, and only survived by Blue nursing her back to health. Her main activity is to once or twice a day have a good wing flap. Just five or ten seconds of flapping, then back to sitting.

Over the last year, she has become sluggish and poofy feathered more than once. Never on the cage bottom or showing any outright signs of a problem a vet could fix. But just...not good. Truthfully, I've expected her to pass more than once, without having any way to really do to intervene. I've had miserable experiences with trying to prolong a parakeets life past their time and I'm OK with letting her go when it's her time. I don't want to inject her full of medicine and watch her squirm while she gets spoonfuls of medicine crammed in her crop. This happened with Tito the parakeet, and he was a misery at the end. But the vet kept pulling him back, only to have him start having multiple strokes a day or two later. Ugh. That memory gets me. I held him when he went and it made me decide not to force an animal through that again. When it's time, it's time.

Starting yesterday, it's like Yellow suddenly found her will to be a parakeet. She has been climbing all over, singing, exploring, actually being nice to Blue, and all sorts of normal behavior. Right now, she is climbing laps around the top of her cage, chewing on everything. She has never been this active, even when she was young. She is an old lady now, but suddenly being a normal parakeet.

What suddenly makes a parakeet decide to embrace life? There hasn't been any changes to food or environment.

Regardless of the reason, I'm so happy to see her happy for once. :derptiel:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
:unsmith: That's great to hear, Log

https://twitter.com/aiculirabih_/status/1339072911697592320?s=20

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Even snapped a picture of them right before their bedtime. When I start to say, "Birdie Bedtime!" they both start to floof, then run up to their sleeping corner when I get the cover.

Yellow likes to do a perpetual impression of a Jelly Bean.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJOSbpQHBzY

rydiafan posted:

Fingat birb

drat i have the same beard

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Grats on the hatchling, Gaston!

Grats on happy Yellow jellybean, Log!

Grats on the new title, thread! :bird:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Even snapped a picture of them right before their bedtime. When I start to say, "Birdie Bedtime!" they both start to floof, then run up to their sleeping corner when I get the cover.

Yellow likes to do a perpetual impression of a Jelly Bean.

this is so nice. i hope it keeps up!

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

“Sniffing may result in Chlamydia” is delightful. Thank you for the laughs and well wishes! :)

Here’s Starr on her good side! The bad side is still a work in progress, but the swelling is going down!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

If Teeka has chlamydia I for sure have it as well. Never not gonna stick as much of my face as possible on that bird

E although because he's a cockatoo it does look like I scarfaced a pile of cocaine when I'm done

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Overheard this morning from my coworker with the sun conure:

"I am never going to get another sun conure, ever. He's a total sweetheart, but he's... loud. We were warned by the breeder that they're loud. We had no idea."

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

American backyards sound like chk-a-dee-dee to-hee to-hee

Australian backyards sound like EEEEEURRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHH

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

How are cockatoos so chill? Their children are just 24/7 intolerably annoying.

And yeah, I have all the bird STDs because Imma kiss Pookie and smell her feathers because shes so sweet and kissy and her feathers smell awesome :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Always remain vigilant with cookware -

I've worked in a lot of professional kitchens and have a hipster disdain for single use kitchen gadgets. But, I saw this on sale for $14 and picked it up, thinking I could have eggs without standing directly over a hot pan -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DDXWFY0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plugged it up, about to make some eggs. Then something nagged the back of my mind. This has little plastic trays for the eggs and what looks like an uncoated element. I fired off an email to make sure it didn't have some non-stick.

Response - "Thank you for reaching out to us. To further assist you, at this time our units are made out of the non-stick coating called Xylan."

Which is another word for PTFE laden teflon.

Glad I never used the loving thing.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sera would go on strike if I refused to kiss him anymore. He loves kisses.

I consider this to be an informed risk that I'm taking.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Love how the baby goes right back to howling as soon as it swallows its food.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Mizuti posted:

Love how the baby goes right back to howling as soon as it swallows its food.

There isn't enough. There is never enough.

Baby birds are all screaming black holes with the metabolism of a brushfire.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Blue and Yellow have replaced their old favorite activity (obsessively nibbling on the end of strings) with a new favorite activity (obsessively nibbling on their ceiling)....?

Picture taken with camera fully zoomed to prevent them from making evasive maneuvers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RoboRodent posted:

There isn't enough. There is never enough.

Baby birds are all screaming black holes with the metabolism of a brushfire.

Is funny that this keeps on going even when, to human eyes, they're almost indistinguishable from the adults.